• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
Sony will still have a major event. This info was for their core fans. Now when Xbox shows their thing PS5 will be in a conversation. People called the quick Xbox x info reveal a stoke of genius. Sony does it and now suddenly it's a terrible move? Nah.

On the contrary people said teasing Scorpio 1.5 years before release was too early.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I fully expected BC and SSD but as a business move I think what they did was smart. It got the hype train going for the PS brand and now when MS talks about Scarlet Sony fanboys can go on about how MS is copying Sony designs: even though we know that's not how it works.

I think pulling out of E3 was bad for the culture. By not having a conference and presence they won't be there to amplify visibility of 3rd party games. MS will have to carry in 2019.

Feb 10, 2018
I actually disagree with this, because a lot of people are out looking for gaming news during E3, whereas right now people are just getting on with their day.

If anything, I think this weird "reveal" sends some kind of half-message/mixed signal that'll make people go "oh they released their console info? Oh, wait, they didn't? Oh, okay, guess I'll..keep waiting?"

Precisely, casuals will be like "oh, they didn't show games? How much will it be? Whys it better then my ps4? What's a ray tracing?, meh this tells me nothing about PS5"

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I fully expected BC and SSD but as a business move I think what they did was smart. It got the hype train going for the PS brand and now when MS talks about Scarlet Sony fanboys can go on about how MS is copying Sony designs: even though we know that's not how it works.

I think pulling out of E3 was bad for the culture. By not having a conference and presence they won't be there to amplify visibility of 3rd party games. MS will have to carry in 2019.

I think pulling out of E3 will be amazing for the culture eventually, when we're at a point where every manufacturer/publisher just shows stuff when they want to show stuff instead of having to plan around this summer info-dump with every competitor hogging the spotlight with you.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
More coverage than being in every major news outlet, newspapers and even broadcast news that this got?
Maybe you should ask yourself that. Do you think that it gets more coverage than an event that had 97 million views on Twitch alone, with 2.9million concurrent viewers. There was 76 minutes on average watched, many of which people are posting about during that period of time. Do you honestly believe that an Article creates the same amount of buzz as lets say new console being revealed at E3? Do you really believe that?

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
IMO it was a nice surprise. I'm just glad Sony has settled certain questions, I'm glad we have a broad picture of what things will look like technologically, so we won't have a bunch of uncertainty and/or FUD to wade through for the rest of the year. I'm glad there was no obvious ball-drop in the information they did relay, that they seem to be taking the same developer-orientated approach that informed the PS4 design, and that it seems they're on top of things in terms of likely trends.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a console reveal neither an official announcement.
Umm it was an official announcement atleast not reveal.

IMO it was a nice surprise. I'm just glad Sony has settled questions, I'm glad we have a picture of what things will look like, so we won't have a bunch of uncertainty and/or FUD to wade through for the rest of the year. I'm glad there was no obvious ball-drop in the information, that they seem to be taking the same developer-orientated approach that informed the PS4 design, and that it seems they're on top of things in terms of likely trends.
Yep ease alot of concerns real early.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know about that.

I half expect some compromises and hardware downgrades to be made by the time it's officially announced, and Sony is going to face some backlash if that happens.

Why, they have not really told you anything other some of the components in the machine and that wont change now.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
I consider the majority of people who bought a PS4 to be "casual gamers" who aren't on the lookout for video game news every day like we are.
Just because you're casual doesnt mean you dont check out the news? Lol this elitism crazy bruh this ain't a secret society with passwords ppl can see the news trending on Twitter in fact it was trending on Twitter all day when the article came out

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Precisely, casuals will be like "oh, they didn't show games? How much will it be? Whys it better then my ps4? What's a ray tracing?, meh this tells me nothing about PS5"

This article was not meant to entice the casual observer. Why would you assume this?

This is basically a teaser for the playstation crowd who were starved for info. It signifies they aren't holding back in terms of hardware and that things are in good hands.
It was not the official reveal of the console. That will be forthcoming.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just because you're casual doesnt mean you dont check out the news? Lol this elitism crazy bruh this ain't a secret society with passwords ppl can see the news trending on Twitter in fact it was trending on Twitter all day when the article came out
I'd say it means that the information provided won't really mean much to them (hell it doesn't mean much to me).

It's not elitism, relax.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it was a good idea. Reading Cerny's interview made me hyped as hell, the console sounds mad promising and I don't think the same would've been achieved with an event with videos and such. When they're ready to make a show, I'm sure they'll bring their A game, but it's nice to have an idea of what to expect before they're able to show the games and the box and so on.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
It would be genius if it was made on State of Play with a video demonstrating the load times of Spider man.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But in moving first in such a dramatic way, it's stolen Microsoft's thunder once more – buzzwords like SSD and ray tracing are now associated with the PS5, and will be greeted with little more than a shake of the shoulders when they're inevitably announced for the next Xbox as well.

I have heard this argument here several times and I hard disagree with it for several reasons. Of which, the most significant reason is that these two specific technologies need to be seen to be believed.

You're telling me that when a gamer sees a video of a Nextbox engine with unprecedented scale powered by NVMe SSDs and the beauty from ray tracing lighting, they are going to be like "This is old news, already heard about this in the Wired interview, what else you got?!"

Yeah right! Those first videos of next gen gaming at E3 are going to be insane news.

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion.

I'm actually shocked they came out this early and talked TBH...I figured they let MS go first and then counter.

Now MS can counter, on a bigger stage with more eyes, and set a narrative.

Counter with what? They revealed just enough, but not too much where they can't "counter". What exactly did they reveal yesterday that in 2 months will allow MS to "counter". Do you all listen to yourselves sometimes?

And you guys really think that they won't have a reveal of the console and more details. You think this is it and then plop the console will be in our hands? Like come on are some of these comments a joke in here?

You keep saying more eyes, but how is E3 more eyes, if the info is out there it's out there. Social media was going pretty crazy yesterday, it dominated the conversation, didn't have to compete with anything else happening that same day, E3 would have been much more crowded.

Let MS counter at E3, by Sony saying they wouldn't be there, there is no expectation for them set already. MS can do whatever it wants at E3 and Sony will most likely have a conference later that will counter whatever MS does at E3.

I love E3, but you all put far too much emphasis on how much of an impact it has on the general public.

And didn't MS announce their next gen console first?

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
It was a pretty great "first shot." Even though it essentially revealed nothing, it confirmed "good graphics" and "all the shit you keep impulse buying off of PSN is going to work on the PS5".

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if "stroke of genius" is the right way to frame it, but I appreciated that they did it this way. Now we won't have people speculating about backwards compatibility and whatnot up until the official reveal. Glad they got all that out early.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe you should ask yourself that. Do you think that it gets more coverage than an event that had 97 million people view it on Twitch alone, with 2.9million concurrent viewers. There was 76 minutes on average watched, many of which people are posting about during that period of time. Do you honestly believe that an Article creates the same amount of buzz as lets say new console being revealed at E3? Do you really believe that?

There is loads of time for that. I wouldn't look at this as intended as a substitute - down the road you will still get the (literal) pomp and ceremony I think.

It would be too early to have a PS Meeting or E3 style show right now, but there will be that down the road, closer in time to launch as the PS4 reveal was to its release. But things are different this time around, the environment is different, and I guess they felt the need to open up earlier this time around in some fashion or other. I would say there is more competitive pressure now. There is shareholder pressure and nerves over transition, as PS has soared within Sony as a key business. I think it makes some sense to get something out to a key audience to keep them in people's mindspace, and in a way that's positive.

This was one way to get some early buzz out and kill any concerns that might emerge as others might talk more, and I think it'll do that. This will have reached the intended early adopter audience.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
I'd say it means that the information provided won't really mean much to them (hell it doesn't mean much to me).

It's not elitism, relax.
Again just because you're a casual gamer doesnt mean you're stupid the info barely said much aside from BC , 8k and SSD even "casuals" can understand load times

that's why I dont get your issue with this or lack of understanding this shit got a lot of exposure from major gaming sites and a few mainstream news sites and trending on Twitter and other social media sites same as it would during E3

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
We know next to nothing about the specs. We have a vague idea of what they're planning on including and supporting but that's about it.

You're right. We don't know enough about the specs, like clock speeds, CUs, teraflops, etc.

But what we do know is exciting if you looking forward to next gen.

Games. The controller. The name (sometimes. Other times not so much). The price. Launch date. The memes.

Lots basically.

Take this as pre-reveal info. What you're asking for is going to happen as well.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Y'all are taking this too seriously. They literally revealed nothing. No clock speeds, no TF nothing concrete and hard. Shit we've been thinking Ryzen and Navi since forever. Cerny literally just did nothing. He actually told you a whole lot of nothing.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They don't need to, from there the info easily spread to forums likes these.

This also prevents MS from going all out about how they the only company that does BC. If Sony had not done so image what MS would do.

That news spread to basically every tech and news site out there, including actual proper news outlets like CNN, BBC etc.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
There is loads of time for that. I wouldn't look at this as intended as a substitute - down the road you will still get the (literal) pomp and ceremony I think.

It would be too early to have a PS Meeting or E3 style show right now, but there will be that down the road, closer in time to launch as the PS4 reveal was to its release. But things are different this time around, the environment is different, and I guess they felt the need to open up earlier this time around in some fashion or other. I would say there is more competitive pressure now. There is shareholder pressure and nerves over transition, as PS has soared within Sony as a key business. I think it makes some sense to get something out to a key audience to keep them in people's mindspace, and in a way that's positive.

This was one way to get some early buzz out and kill any concerns that might emerge as others might talk more, and I think it'll do that. This will have reached the intended early adopter audience.

What Sony did was fine, but its not comparable to E3; That is all. People trying to say it is, are downplaying how big E3 actually is.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It is a good move, what's there to debate?

It sets the conversation for next-gen going, ensure the PS5 leads every discussion on next-gen features, and reassured the current 100M base users that their investment will carry forward (PS4 and PSVR BC). All that with practically zero expenditure while saving the megatons (features, services, controller, games, etc) for a full-blown PS5 reveal event later this year.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I would have preferred an event like they did with PS4. Give the early details and some prototype footage. This was a half measure. That said, so long as they don't walk back any of these details, and the price is good, PS4 will be tough if not impossible for Microsoft to "beat" (Xbox can be profitable regardless. This market is HUGE). PS4 BC, a generational leap including Ray tracing, 8K, instant load times, strong VR support... it's hard to imagine a better next gen console. Microsoft will have to fight hard in the cloud and services side to make a dent I think. Sony is making PS5 the 'high end boutique' console right out of the gate. They're clearly holding back CPU/GPU/RAM details until the last second too, which makes it difficult for Microsoft to shoot for a one-up. I sure hope they are prepared to subsidize though because it sounds expensive and we're not paying $599.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If it's coming out in late 2020, I expect a full reveal in early 2020.

Whether or not it's a "stroke of genius" is something else entirely but they needed to contribute something to this conversation at this point. I think they did the right thing here.

Feb 10, 2018
This article was not meant to entice the casual observer. Why would you assume this?

This is basically a teaser for the playstation crowd who were starved for info. It signifies they aren't holding back in terms of hardware and that things are in good hands.
It was not the official reveal of the console. That will be forthcoming.

Depends what you mean by holding back, we still don't know what gpu + ram are, it could be 10-15tflops + 16-24gb, so they could still be holding back in these areas. and stop the press, company lead says something positive about next gen console!
He's not going to say something negetive. Lol.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Y'all are taking this too seriously. They literally revealed nothing. No clock speeds, no TF nothing concrete and hard. Shit we've been thinking Ryzen and Navi since forever. Cerny literally just did nothing. He actually told you a whole lot of nothing.

What?

- 8 core third generation ryzen confirmed
- Navi confirmed
- SDD storage confirmed
- 3D audio confirmed
- BC confirmed
- Ray tracing support confirmed
- PSVR support confirmed

That's not nothing.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It was a pretty great "first shot." Even though it essentially revealed nothing, it confirmed "good graphics" and "all the shit you keep impulse buying off of PSN is going to work on the PS5".

Yeah, and probably gives about 500k people the go-ahead to buy a PSVR right now if they were waiting to see if it would die with the PS4.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again just because you're a casual gamer doesnt mean you're stupid the info barely said much aside from BC , 8k and SSD even "casuals" can understand load times

that's why I dont get your issue with this or lack of understanding this shit got a lot of exposure from major gaming sites and a few mainstream news sites and trending on Twitter and other social media sites same as it would during E3
Alright, man.