• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Genius is a bit much. I'm just happy that current gen will be BC and that it will ship with an SSD. Of course, the size of that SSD will be a factor, but if I can host most of my stuff on the main and then use an external SSD for the rest, that'll be just fine by me.

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
I know the news from Facebook so whatever they are doing, it's working.

When I saw a thread about it here I didn't realize that it was real until I saw so many of my friends shared news about it.

Feb 10, 2018
Genius move. Now I can go back to enjoying the best console ever released while knowing it's successor is in a good place. Everybody is rest assured that any games they buy now on the ps4 will work on the 5.

They took major spotlight off Xbox and are forcing the hands of MS who might feel like they need to reveal a little more come e3. It gives Sony plenty of time to set their strategy for the ps5 reveal proper.

Yes the same will happen again when MS show next gen games and more detailed specs at E3, it will take major spotlight off PS5 and Sony will forced to do say something unless they want to become a distant afterthought.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Nope

I wanted a Playstation Meeting type of event and Mark Cerny going through the details on a slide.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
It was a smart move. All the people going "but the casuals won't find out about this article" are kinda missing the point.

This allows Sony to get their name shoved into every next gen conversation early and without revealing much in detail. They'll have their main reveal for the public at some future point obviously.

For now it's enough for them to be in the conversation. Every next gen Xbox article will now have "and this is how it compares to PS5 so far", instead of "how can Sony respond to these impressive specs shown by MS" or "Sony remains quiet for now".

And in the end, the news will trickle down to casuals.

Precisely, casuals will be like "oh, they didn't show games? How much will it be? Whys it better then my ps4? What's a ray tracing?, meh this tells me nothing about PS5"

I sometimes wonder how much contact with "casuals" people who talk like this actually have...

"Casuals" aren't some breed of stupid that must be spoon-fed and lack any critical thinking ability.

You think "casuals" don't care about details like "and here we cut loading times from 15 seconds to 0.8 seconds"? That PS5 will be more powerful than PS4 is a given and barely worth mentioning. They don't need to know nor care how much RAM or tflops the console has yet.

Sony not having backwards compatibility was also supposedly a big issue and now that they've mentioned it it's "meh"?

People know that the console is a year out and that there will be plenty of time to reveal games and price.

I love the revisionist history lol. Most or many people on here did not expect the PS5 to have all these things, hell, not even you yourself were sure prior to this reveal.

Lmao

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
You really need a mirror.

Because I have an avatar and name combo that's from a Nintendo character? That doesn't make you a fanboy. You can like a company but still call them out when they make mistakes, like Nintendo's awful online service, or their slow output of games. OP posts a lot, but it's almost always in defense of Sony, regardless of what they're doing, or doing something silly like posting an opinion piece from a fansite.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yes the same will happen again when MS show next gen games and more detailed specs at E3, it will take major spotlight off PS5 and Sony will forced to do say something unless they want to become a distant afterthought.
No even if MS announces full specs they can't claim it's stronger than the PS5 as Sony haven't announced anything, Sony essentially only talked about the same things that MS will offer too.
Because I have an avatar and name combo that's from a Nintendo character? That doesn't make you a fanboy. You can like a company but still call them out when they make mistakes, like Nintendo's awful online service, or their slow output of games. OP posts a lot, but it's almost always in defense of Sony, regardless of what they're doing, or doing something silly like posting an opinion piece from a fansite.
I don't even know where your avatar is from, your first post attacked the OP for posting an article which in no way is a fanboyish thing to do.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay so I've got Backwards compatibility. I admit I didn't expect that. Still don't know a price or power. And that is what actually matters. Not 8K not load time new SSD marketing talk.

It's not just about the BC, you were also adamant the system would be $399, where the specs they've announced are more likely to be $499. Add to that, you were 50/50 on the PS5 being 2019, and then there's all the hardware spec ramifications that come with that.

The specs Sony announced are essentially the very best in every aspect of all the predicted specs we had on these forums and discussed elsewhere. Many were predicting lower specs for both the CPU and GPU, then there were predictions of 8-10 Tflops etc. What we're looking at is well beyond that, including the details about SSD, hardware ray tracing, BC etc.

The revisionist history that this was all somehow predictable or well known is frankly laughable.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great move. They won't be left out of next gen conversation during E3, and it takes some luster off Xbox's next console reveal. Xbox need to show more than Ray tracing and ssd.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are yall so hung up on the genius line lol I dont understand why that's triggering y'all
Weird ass people, t
Counter with what? They revealed just enough, but not too much where they can't "counter". What exactly did they reveal yesterday that in 2 months will allow MS to "counter". Do you all listen to yourselves sometimes?

And you guys really think that they won't have a reveal of the console and more details. You think this is it and then plop the console will be in our hands? Like come on are some of these comments a joke in here?

You keep saying more eyes, but how is E3 more eyes, if the info is out there it's out there. Social media was going pretty crazy yesterday, it dominated the conversation, didn't have to compete with anything else happening that same day, E3 would have been much more crowded.

Let MS counter at E3, by Sony saying they wouldn't be there, there is no expectation for them set already. MS can do whatever it wants at E3 and Sony will most likely have a conference later that will counter whatever MS does at E3.

I love E3, but you all put far too much emphasis on how much of an impact it has on the general public.

And didn't MS announce their next gen console first?
Agree with everything you said.

Feb 10, 2018
No even if MS announces full specs they can't claim it's stronger than the PS5 as Sony haven't announced anything, Sony essentially only talked about the same things that MS will offer too.

I don't even know where your avatar is from, your first post attacked the OP for posting an article which in no way is a fanboyish thing to do.

Lol what you said literally has no correlation to what I said.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Howling at the salt and pain the new console details has apparently caused some people on the first page.

That first page is straight up hot 'Yikes' with the amount of people reducing the article to nothingness to fit their narrative.

The spec news is everywhere in Instagram, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. Go to Google search right now and type Playstation and see the dozens of articles reporting on this.

> Release the article on a Tuesday where nothing substantial is taking place on gaming news and
> On the eve of E3
> From the market leader itself, who has the most players locked to their platform ecosystem because of their libraries who are eager for next-gen news
> First platform holder to start the talk of Next-generation

It was stroke of marketing genius for Playstation. And everyone is talking about this right now.

This is the ultimate representation of the Era bubble. The disconnection this board has to the real world is unlike anything I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Pressure from who exactly?
These notions that the release of next gen info can some how harm the competition is just console war nonsense.

The only difference is people will just know more or less about a platform in certain time periods.
It's basically marketing for the next gen systems, so what they say and how long they say it for is the most important.

All chips will be out soon enough for both players and what hand they have will determine who buys there machine, people are acting like how these companies release info is a game of chess with serious consequences.
But it reality it does not matter how this info is released to the public, its all going to be out in the open no matter how and when they do it.

Pressure from the public, how is that console war nonsense? You don't think Microsoft has more pressure on them to show more things at their E3 conference when they have it to themselves as a platform holder then what Sony revealed yesterday?

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Should of had the interview in Sony's new 'State of Play'

Their delivery methods have been a little weird. They didn't even bother to put the Dreams Early Access in it, and it was announced the next day. Maybe they figured that the Wired article would have a wider reach. Also, talking about this definitely would have ruined the pacing of SoP.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
And where did these rumours eminate from, the Xbox Discord group?

We already had a leak that closely matched this official reveal back in Dec 2018 (which ironically also predicted a Sony Q2 2019 initial spec reveal), and different outlets have been talking about rumoured specs for some time now. I doubt strong arming had anything to do with the Wired article, rather it's just Sony trying to get ahead of the news cycle, especially prior to Microsoft's big E3 conference.

Oh totally, this is completely feasible too. Sony knew they needed to get themselves in the discussion.

All you've heard is apple, Google and Microsoft the last few weeks. Sony had to get involved.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about that.

I half expect some compromises and hardware downgrades to be made by the time it's officially announced, and Sony is going to face some backlash if that happens.

Compromises and down grades from what tho? They didn't reveal ram or tf numbers.

The post right under this says it best, it was vague enough while giving us info.

I think what they revealed can't be downgraded or compromised.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Huh?

Are we really praising Sony for an article? LMAO

I mean good for them, they started talking about next gen hardware, Microsoft started a year ago at E3, but i don't understand the reason to wet your pants only for a bunch of hints and informations delivered through an article.

This was not a reveal event shadowdrop, there are so many things we have yet to find out about next gen consoles.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
More than that, it was a strategic play, which I'm sure the article is alluding to.

A strategic play we see every time a new console is close to its reveal.

Most recently:

Nintendo Switch -> the whole article (and then an interview with Reggie) from Eurogamer that leaked the NX after E3 2016.

Xbox One X -> specs officially unveiled at Digital Foundry.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh?

Are we really praising Sony for an article? LMAO

I mean good for them, they started talking about next gen hardware, Microsoft started a year ago at E3, but i don't understand the reason to wet your pants only for a bunch of hints and informations delivered through an article.

This was not a reveal event shadowdrop, there are so many things we have yet to find out about next gen consoles.

Most people came away with some skepticism but overall optimistic about the next-gen hardware prospect for PS5 and the next Xbox. For that it's a praise.

Feb 10, 2018
Pressure from the public, how is that console war nonsense? You don't think Microsoft has more pressure on them to show more things at their E3 conference when they have it to themselves as a platform holder then what Sony revealed yesterday?

Not really, it does not matter if MS give Info at E3 or Feb 2020, as long as they start the marketing at least 6 months before launch it does not matter when.
This is because news travels so fast these days.
Forums dwellers growing inpatient because they don't know anything is not pressure its just forum dwellers growing inpatient. It does not make a difference because news travels so fast.

I mean if Sony did a conference in January 2020 similar to the Sony Feb 2013 event and ms didn't say anything about next gen until March 2020 and had a blowout next gen 2020 E3.
How would the timings of these info dumps effect the machines in a Nov 2020 launch? , by then people are just going to know as much about both platforms, the fact that people knew about the PS5 first ain't going to mean shit.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Sigh, is this the start of a time where we go through a hype cycle of "downgraded consoles"? It's like showing that vertical slice at E3 which is essentially like "Here's what we've managed to put together as a functional showcase of our game, so far!" but when push comes to shove the final product can't quite live up to that isolated showcase.

I'm sure Mark Cerny is eager about all these details but will it ultimately make it past all the departments where they have to regulate the budget, pricing and shipping for the final console product? I could easily see them between now and 2020 shift from some of the more ambitious hardware specifications to maybe a cheaper built stock SSD or a slightly underclocked version of the intended GPU.

Rumors say the dev-kits have been in the wild for a while though. I don't know if those ever get iterated on or if they are 100% reliable to what the final console can output.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Copying what others are doing and shouting FIRST isn't genius, it's just petty, not to mention extremely underwhelming. Controlling the trickle of information they want to divulge to make it just vague enough to interest but lacking in details to actually prove it'll deliver what it should in a reasonable manner and hide any shortcomings and shortcuts to it, is stupid marketing-speak that will backfire on them.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Copying what others are doing and shouting FIRST isn't genius, it's just petty, not to mention extremely underwhelming. Controlling the trickle of information they want to divulge to make it just vague enough to interest but lacking in details to actually prove it'll deliver what it should in a reasonable manner and hide any shortcomings and shortcuts to it, is stupid marketing-speak that will backfire on them.
Okay it's going to completely backfire on them alright

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Lolololololol this is satire right?

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, it does not matter if MS give Info at E3 or Feb 2020, as long as they start the marketing at least 6 months before launch it does not matter when.
This is because news travels so fast these days.
Forums dwellers growing inpatient because they don't know anything is not pressure its just forum dwellers growing inpatient. It does not make a difference because news travels so fast.

I mean if Sony did a conference in January 2020 similar to the Sony Feb 2013 event and ms didn't say anything about next gen until March 2020 and had a blowout next gen 2020 E3.
How would the timings of these info dumps effect the machines in a Nov 2020 launch? , by then people are just going to know as much about both platforms, the fact that people knew about the PS5 first ain't going to mean shit.

When it's all out of course none of this matters. I still don't understand how MS does not have more pressure on them this E3 to deliver that day after what Sony did yesterday. It's all good though, we can just agree to disagree.

Feb 10, 2018
I don't understand you then? You said MS revealing specs will force Sony to do the same or they will become a distant afterthought, How will that exactly happen offering something better than what we know of the PS5?

Well if this wired PS5 news can do this to ms
"They took major spotlight off Xbox and are forcing the hands of MS" (said in the post I replied to in which you quoted my reply of)
Then the same thing will happen when MS release more info then Sony has, unless people are applying a double standard biased towards Sony.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
This was a terrible move. Arrogant Sony decided not to treat Gamers with an E3 press conference.

Sony cheated not only the Gamers, but themselves.

They didn't grow.
They didn't improve.
They took a shortcut and gained nothing.

They experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that they don't know the difference.

It was a great move and I appreciate Sony just being forward with the expected specs and some details. Traditional hype cycles aren't always healthy or sustainable. I read the news and went "Wow that's cool. I'm patiently looking forward to next year's conference from Sony."

I love this meme.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It was going to leak eventually.

You can't have developers making PS5 games right now for its launch-window release, without Dev Kits emulating the PS5 specs. Better to get it locked down and confirmed now, so developers can better fine-tune their games for it.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Is it? Didn't Microsoft get out in front and announce the exact specs of the Xbox One? Then only for Sony to bump up the amount of RAM at the last moment to be ahead.
You have a totally wrong chronology of events.

- PS4 exact specs were revealed at the February 2013 PS4 reveal event. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-spec-analysis-playstation-4

- Xbox One specs were not revealed by Microsoft until the May 2013 Xbox One reveal event and even then it was revealed with less details than the PS4 specs already revealed months before, probably because they knew Xbox One was inferior. https://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-hardware-and-specs/

Feb 10, 2018
When it's all out of course none of this matters. I still don't understand how MS does not have more pressure on them this E3 to deliver that day after what Sony did yesterday. It's all good though, we can just agree to disagree.

It won't effect MS negatively if fans have to wait longer for there next gen news while fans know more about sony's next gen plans.

"pressure" implies they have to do something otherwise it will have a negative outcome.
This is simply not the case explain in the paragraph above and in my previous post to you.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I assumed it was a Xbox One X situation: Wired got a scoop and Sony said fuck it and just made it official.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Eh. Back-comp was nice to have confirmed, and honestly I was kind of terrified they'd just avoid it outright in order to resell PS4 games at higher resolutions, so that's pretty good. Other than that there's really not much there. Durante had more or less the best take on it.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
A strategic play we see every time a new console is close to its reveal.

Most recently:

Nintendo Switch -> the whole article (and then an interview with Reggie) from Eurogamer that leaked the NX after E3 2016.

Xbox One X -> specs officially unveiled at Digital Foundry.
The play I'm referring to is more in the who, what and when.

You got confirmation they're working on it, the length of time it's been since it's started, their apparent design philosophy and approach, devkit production increase, timeframe and some key features announced that gamers have been questioning for months. All directly from the lead architect himself and far in advance of the upcoming E3 they opted out of. It assuaged the (irrational) fear many gamers had going into next-gen and clearly created excitement and intrigue in a space where there was only doubt. It simultaneously relieves pressure and adds pressure to the conversation at the same time.

Of course you're free to disagree with the strategy but the article more than served its intended purpose.