• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
remoteplayrgj45.jpg

The remote play app for Windows just updated to add PS5 support. In the settings it only goes up to 1080p. But this time it does also add a HDR option. Previously the image looked washed out and terrible if you remote played to a PC while HDR was set to on on the PS4.

There's no option to set the frame rate at 30fps/60fps like there is for PS4 Remote Play. Hopefully this means that the technology is better and it'll just stream whatever frame rate is available? No confirmation at all though.

*EDIT* Some more pics and options:

remote10wkcu.jpg

remote2fljms.jpg

remote30gjc2.jpg

remote4voj1m.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. Can't imagine too many scenarios at this moment in time where remote play 4K would be useful and you couldn't just hook up the console directly.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm so glad they're still doing Remote Play for PS5.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
1080p is fine, hopefully they've encoded it better

My only complaint is that it seems like that you still have to have your DS4/DS5 wired into the PC; I can't even find a remote play adapter anywhere on the internet so why can't I just connect my controller to my PC via bluetooth and play like that? Annoying

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
1080p at whatever frame rate the game outputs is perfectly fine for remote play. Let's hope they improved the bitrate a bit as well.

Encoding 4k30 (or even 4k60) in real time with minimal latency - i don't think that's a task the PS5 would be equipped for, right?

OP
OP
mandiller

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
1080p is fine, hopefully they've encoded it better

My only complaint is that it seems like that you still have to have your DS4/DS5 wired into the PC; I can't even find a remote play adapter anywhere on the internet so why can't I just connect my controller to my PC via bluetooth and play like that? Annoying

PS5 and PS4 controllers work wirelessly with the latest Remote Play PC app. It doesn't even mention connecting it via a cable.

*Edit* Sorry, I'm mistaken. It says 'Use a wireless controller for PS5 or PS4', but then says below it to 'connect a controller via usb cable'

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Remote play on my vita has been spotty lately, even if the console is literally in front me. Sad that its dead.

1080p is acceptable. If I remember correctly its 1080p60.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
PS5 and PS4 controllers work wirelessly with the latest Remote Play PC app. It doesn't even mention connecting it via a cable.
Going to test it now then

It does mention if you click the controller icon "Connect your controller and PC with a USB cable"

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
Remote pay to my iPad has been great recently for completing a lot of the Horizon side quests. The touch pad on my ps4 pad doesn't work with bluetooth for some reason. It's an awesome feature, just hope they keep supporting and improving it.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Pleasantly surprised by the HDR inclusion.
Hopefully that'll also work using the PS Remote App on a HDR compatible Phone.
A shame that there aren't yet available any HDR compatible iPads.
Nvidia/AMD take note, I want to be able to easily stream PC games in HDR as well.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Bitrate is more important than resolution. Currently at 1080p the compression is somewhat heavy.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't used remote play with Vita but now that it's not supported for PS5 I was wondering if maybe you can indirectly make it work.
For example Remote play with Vita through PS4 and then use the new remote play app from PS4 to PS5.
So something like this: PSV->PS4->PS5. Is it possible that this might work?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Haven't used remote play with Vita but now that it's not supported for PS5 I was wondering if maybe you can indirectly make it work.
For example Remote play with Vita through PS4 and then use the new remote play app from PS4 to PS5.
That would be a horribly unplayable experience even if it worked, which it almost definitely wouldn't

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Updated on iPhone but nothing on android ,,??

updated m'y ps4 to 8.0 and I can't use remote play on my android now. It says app need update

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
Sorry, I'm mistaken. It says 'Use a wireless controller for PS5 or PS4', but then says below it to 'connect a controller via usb cable'
Yep, still doesn't work wirelessly without the remote play USB (they don't even sell it anymore I think) which sucks

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I feel like it's unlike Sony to put this update out ahead of time of release. Don't they usually wait. Maybe it means that they are sending out units to press and influencers soon.

On-Topic: while it would be nice to have up to 1440p for PC RP, 1080 is more than good enough for mobile devices and tablets imo.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Wasnt rempte play just 720P before? Even on Pro? I just tested it and it works much better now it seems!

benji2361

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
You can't play PS Now games on PS4 while using remote play. I'm sure this would work the same way

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Android app just updated

WHAT'S NEW
You can now connect to a PlayStation5 console using Remote Play.
Screen designs have been updated.
Button assignments made on PS4 or PS5 can now be used in Remote Play.
Supported version has changed to 7.0 or later.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with this. I have nothing that supports Remote Play that goes higher than that anyway.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can I play PS5 games on my iPhone using my DS4? If so, won't that ruin my experience? I thought it was super important that Sony forces us to use the DS5 on PS5 games and anything else isn't possible and would think the experience.

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk or anything. I just think it'd be dumb for them to not let us play PS5 games on the console with a PS4 controller, but then be perfectly fine with us playing streamed PS5 games on whatever controller we want.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
They might enable 1440p or 4K later on. Today, many people may not have a smooth experience with >1080p through 4G or similar.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
1080p is probably a good idea, as long as the bitrate is improved it should help keep latency as low as possible.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Sigh, they still don't allow for remote play over mobile connections, which is silly. If I wanna chew through my data plan for remote play, let me.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
After all the time I spent tweaking my network to get the Vita to work flawlessly...they better have upgraded how it all works. My ps4 is wired, but if I try to RP with a phone or a laptop it's laggy as hell. The Vita is my only RP device that worked perfectly :(