• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 20, 2021
On the other hand, looking at the hardware, the PS5 in the 60th week of its release recorded sales of 72064 units in total for the standard model and digital edition, and the Xbox Series X | S recorded sales of 2159 units in total. Cumulative sales of PS5 exceeded 1.2 million units, and cumulative sales of Nintendo Switch also exceeded 23 million units, both showing strong sales.

www.famitsu.com

【ソフト&ハード週間販売数】『ポケモンBDSP』(ダイパリメイク)が再び首位に! Switchは2300万台、PS5は120万台の累計販売台数を突破【12/20~1/2】 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

ファミ通発表の売上ランキング。今回は2021年12月20日~2022年1月2日のゲームソフト&ハード週間推定販売数まとめをお届けする。

Thx kimbo99 for his post.

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales) germatsu

1. Switch OLED Model – 190,111 (875,765)
  2. Switch – 116,919 (17,797,974)
  3. Switch Lite – 86,950 (4,451,688)
  4. PlayStation 5 – 62,764 (1,069,179)
  5. PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 9,300 (200,833)
  6. Xbox Series S – 1,688 (55,520)
  7. Xbox Series X – 471 (73,661)
  8. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 670 (1,179,616)
  9. PlayStation 4 – 68 (7,819,245)

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Insane. Got a massive shipment right before the end of the year. Just need to get software sales up.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gematsu link.

For context, the Switch collectively sold 393,980 units in the same two week period. Also, the top ten is all Switch, with 10th being Pokemon Sword/Shield selling 35,411 units over the two weeks. The rest of the top 30 is due to be announced tomorrow.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
thats a lot in a couple days, whats the word, some new anime game coming or sommit?

new knack?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very strong hardware sales all round, especially for the Switch. Shame it lost out overall in the year to 2020 barely but like I said strong in those final weeks just as it was most of the year.

All ten top selling games were on that platform too. Do we have the top 30 yet?

amara

Nov 23, 2021
If their was stock, PS5 would be doing much better than what the PS4 did back then

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If their was stock, PS5 would be doing much better than what the PS4 did back then
I dunno. Hardware demand is not translating into software demand, and the only logical explanation is that scalpers are (still) buying the majority of the units (presumably for export). If the PS5 was in stock everywhere, the scalpers wouldn't be a factor, and hardware sales would likely align to software sales.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I dunno. Hardware demand is not translating into software demand, and the only logical explanation is that scalpers are (still) buying the majority of the units (presumably for export). If the PS5 was in stock everywhere, the scalpers wouldn't be a factor, and hardware sales would likely align to software sales.
We don't have numbers to compare PS4 software sales from back then, it's irrelevant

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We don't have numbers to compare PS4 software sales from back then, it's irrelevant
A) I can't be arsed to dig through the Installbase/NeoGaf archives, but we totally do have sale figures for PS4 software sales from back then.
B) I was talking about (the obviously high) demand for PS5 hardware not translating into a lot of demand for PlayStation software in general. I'm not expecting another Switch lock-out (a new Dynasty Warriors Empires launched, it should make the top 30), but I'm expecting more PS5 consoles being sold than the total number of PlayStation discs sold (from the games that make the top 30, at least). Meanwhile, the top ten represents nearly a million physical units of Switch games.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Hardware hasn't been the main issue there, it's software. I'm not sure when that will begin to look like changing.

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021
And still not a single game in the software top 10 so the same problem remains. Especially with Switch selling like five times as many consoles in the same period.

Sep 20, 2021
🤣

I don't even know what's sarcasm or just ignorance anymore

It is very low sales. It doesn't matter the reasons, desinterest or low shipments. Even the worst selling consoles had often higher sales during holidays.

The fact is that such sales does not encourage interest in making PS5 versions of games and sales for PS4 games already tanked.

It's an outlier if even one game for playstation enters the Top 20 charts. Sometimes the whole top 30 or 40 consist only of Switch games. And that is not only true for Japan but many asian countries. The situation in some countries like Japan is catastrophic for Sony.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
It is very low sales. It doesn't matter the reasons, desinterest or low shipments. Even the worst selling consoles had often higher sales during holidays.

The fact is that such sales does not encourage interest in making PS5 versions of games and sales for PS4 games already tanked.

It's an outlier if even one game for playstation enters the Top 20 charts. Sometimes the whole top 30 or 40 consist only of Switch games. And that is not only true for Japan but many asian countries. The situation in some countries like Japan is catastrophic for Sony.
Japanese devs are not going to skip ps5

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The fact that sub 100k seems like a lot in two weeks of Christmas is the ultimate proof of the woeful stock.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Of course compared to the switch it isn't selling as well, but I think it is more a discussion about how maybe Sony isn't giving up on Japan as some people heard. 70k is a lot for one region. The software aspect isn't great, but if games like FF 16 can have a decent attach rate, it is not all bad.

Putarorex

Sep 16, 2019
I was one of those purchases. After entering more than 30 raffles for the right to buy the console with my wife and kids since launch, I asked one of my friends to also enter a raffle and he was successful and helped me get a PS5. Been pretty happy with it this first week playing Demon Souls and Kena. I had pretty much given up getting one before the new Horizon game and Elder Ring.

Of course compared to the switch it isn't selling as well, but I think it is more a discussion about how maybe Sony isn't giving up on Japan as some people heard. 70k is a lot for one region. The software aspect isn't great, but if games like FF 16 can have a decent attach rate, it is not all bad.
Nothing suggests that a decent attach rate is all that possible anymore, though. This is historical for all the wrong reasons.

OP
OP
Oct 20, 2021

Yeah, Switch is a
No one is denying that. Still a nice shipment compared to these last weeks/months. I bet Sony would have preferred to send more stock, too.
It is what it is.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Lol people saying it's low when they sell whatever the stock is. How do you sell more consoles than what they get.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
🤣

I don't even know what's sarcasm or just ignorance anymore

Man all of Sales Era really did leave.

36k a week for the two biggest weeks of the year is terrible.

Now of course the context is Sony has put Japan to the bottom of the queue in terms of shipments so supply is terrible, but these are not good numbers in any sense of the word.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Now of course the context is Sony has put Japan to the bottom of the queue in terms of shipments so supply is terrible, but these are not good numbers in any sense of the word.

It is probably similar to a lot of regions though. There are shortages everywhere. Considering they went from 5k to 70k is a good sign. And it is still selling. Japan is still using a lottery system i alot of their stores, which suggests the demand is still good. Thats a positive. Its easy to be negative about the whole thing, but really it shows that Sony does still care to some extent and are trying to rectify it the best they can.

Jan 20, 2019

Obvious the sales arent anything to talk about but this is the comparasion between the ps4 and the ps5 in the same time frame

Weeks 59-60 after launch, PS4: 43.759 / 1.320.742
Weeks 59-60 after launch, PS5: 72.064 / 1.270.012

The big difference is the ps5 is out of stock compared to the ps4.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020

nope
www.videogameschronicle.com

Sony has sold 1 million PS5s in Japan faster than PS4 | VGC

Platform reaches sales milestone in 10 months, ahead of PS4 but behind PS3…

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It is probably similar to a lot of regions though. There are shortages everywhere. Considering they went from 5k to 70k is a good sign. And it is still selling. Japan is still using a lottery system i alot of their stores, which suggests the demand is still good. Thats a positive. Its easy to be negative about the whole thing, but really it shows that Sony does still care to some extent and are trying to rectify it the best they can.
The fact that "better than 5k" is good news is a bit of sad news in itself. But Sony can't sell what they can't produce so...

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Obvious the sales arent anything to talk about but this is the comparasion between the ps4 and the ps5 in the same time frame

Weeks 59-60 after launch, PS4: 43.759 / 1.320.742
Weeks 59-60 after launch, PS5: 72.064 / 1.270.012

The big difference is the ps5 is out of stock compared to the ps4.
Yeah, I'm not sure this is an apples to apples comparison. PS5 wasn't selling much of anything Japan before the sales numbers picked up because there was nearly zero inventory in the country. Obviously the demand exists but the shipments of PS5s have been far more sporadic due to the supply chain issues / chip shortage. Glad to know non-switch console gaming isnt 100% dead there, yet, because as much as I enjoy my Switch I don't want Switch to monopolize Japan-centric games. At least it seems like more developers are opening up to PC ports, I guess.