• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At E3 they will. I expect them to have at least a good show but you see Sony is not messing around, they better have a great show to get the mind share.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
They don't have to respond, they'll wait 'til they have something to show. People fell in love with PS4 hardware because they came out and showed us what you could do with it. At the moment, Sony is just throwing numbers out to try and drum up hype for a box that we know nothing about and it's working. Half the forum has flipped out over a Wired article rather than seeing things with their own eyes.

Microsoft will wait it out, will wait for the time where they can show things people they want running on the new hot box they want. And that's 110% the right thing to do.

If the hype works then it was the 120% right thing.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they don't respond by releasing an unfinished prototype like last time.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
They don't need to respond. Google revealed more about their future plans and no one reacted to that.

one or both models could be potentially have one major omission - a physical disc drive

Wait is there really some rumor or speculation that the next Xbox consoles won't support physical media?

Once Xbox gets rid of Phil Spencer and his cronies (to fix their hostile/sexist corporate culture), Xbox will be in a good shape.

Seriously gtfo with this shit.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft will respond at E3 as planned. I don't expect there to be too much of a difference in the specs this time around. Most likely we will see 2 Xbox devices and a single PS5 somewhere in the middle.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
This is silly. We don't know the speed of the CPU, we don't know the performance info on the GPU. What exactly would MS respond to? They already said that they will start talking at E3.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this is Sony responding to MS. Phil said last year, on stage at E3, that they are working on Next gen hardware. MS has already been in the conversation officially for being all in on next gen. We have been getting tons of leaks lately and Sony isnt ignorant to what 3rd parties are doing. They are more than aware that 3rd parties will be showing off next gen games at E3. Bonnie Ross of 343i said to Ryan from IGN that Halo Infinite's Slipspace engine will be shown off at E3, which leads me to believe that is an engine that will be built for next gen hardware.

None of the PS5's specs are surprising actually. Brad Sams has been saying for a while that the next xbox console will have nvme storage in them, a Ryzen 2 cpu, and a navi gpu. Microsoft will go bigger at E3 than a Wired article. However it was good of Sony to insert themselves into the next gen conversation. When Ubisoft shows off a next gen AC, people will assume that is what it will look like on xbox and ps5. (maybe)

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Wtf? No. I'm sure they have there own plan on how to reveal there next system. Why would they throw that all out because Sony started talking.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once Xbox gets rid of Phil Spencer and his cronies (to fix their hostile/sexist corporate culture), Xbox will be in a good shape.

Make Xbox great, Satya.

lol wat.

Nothing has pointed to Phil being that type, with so much pointing to it being the opposite of the truth. Also Phil and Satya are 100% on the same team.

This is a bad post and you should feel bad for making it.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
This is my feeling too.

Sony made an unprecedented move, likely forced by industry moves made my Microsoft.

I fully expect Scarlett or whatever it'll called to be very similar, but with it's own, superior twist.
Same. Panos Pany will definitely be leaving his mark on Scarlett.

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Should MS respond to these very vague specs with their own very vague specs?

I think, vague as this info is, it hit a number of headline features and buzzwords that MS would have liked to have had first dibs on in their announcement (ssd, raytracing...).

Now running through these headline tech bits is going to be less 'shiny and new', more ticking boxes that people will expect to hear about, given that we now know the PS5 will be hitting those notes.

In that sense it was a clever reveal, pre-emptively defanging some key soundbites that MS probably would have tried to make its own at E3 on the tech side, had Sony stayed quiet for the year as seemed to be expecting. While at the same time, being vague enough to not give everything away to MS to counter-programme against in their E3 announcements.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
i think sony announcing first pretty much seals up that next xbox will be more powerful than ps5 for sure.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It's E3 baby.

Might be weird to mention that now in retrospective, since the info just came out, but it was clear that MS was going all out with their conference, including next gen.

This is actually Sony's response to that, and it feels like it worked, for now.

PlayStation is now the first car in the race.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I think, vague as this info is, it hit a number of headline features and buzzwords that MS would have liked to have had first dibs on in their announcement (ssd, raytracing...).

Now running through these headline tech bits is going to be less 'shiny and new', more ticking boxes that people will expect to hear about, given that we now know the PS5 will be hitting those notes.

In that sense it was a clever reveal, pre-emptively defanging some key soundbites that MS probably would have tried to make its own at E3 on the tech side, had Sony stayed quiet for the year as seemed to be expecting. While at the same time, being vague enough to not give everything away to MS to counter-programme against in their E3 announcements.
I don't know about yourself. But the rumors of the nxt xbox having nvme have been out for a very long time now. Its pretty much confirmed after PS5 news reveal.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Microsoft just posted a confirmation date on twitter about their conference in June

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1118153920423940096

Sounds like this is their way of responding. "Yeah, wait till E3, guys... hint hint."

It's not a coincidence they posted that today a few hours after Sony's announcement.

I am very excited. Both consoles seem poised to be excellent upgrades, and if the Xbox Two truly is more powerful than the PS5, given how the PS5 already looks like an incredible baseline, then I am over the moon. Good for gaming all around. (especially for us PC gamers too!) :D

"Jump in" is very interesting too.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know about yourself. But the rumors of the nxt xbox having nvme have been out for a very long time now. Its pretty much confirmed after PS5 news reveal.

Correct. What I mean is, if Microsoft's 'technical marketing' plans around their reveal was leaning into certain technical features, like SSDs or ray tracing, or BC, or 8K, they would have benefited from Sony staying silent. People would be unsure if Sony would have these things, it would make MS seem far ahead etc. etc. They'd have probably been able to make a lot of hay out of talking about these things first in a console context.

Now Sony has come forward with messaging on these features, it kind of commodifies them for next-gen, and sets context and expectation for people going into MS's announcements. Those features will be boxes to tick rather than things MS can associate exclusively with, or own the messaging around, as they might have been able to do for this year at least had Sony said nothing.

So it was clever, IMO, for Sony to disarm these as Xbox specific talking points, to plant their own flag on them, while not going into the nitty gritty specifics. Some might call the info vague, but it's clear enough to do the necessary job here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually thinking this is Sony responding to MS's clear intent to show next gen stuff at E3, rather than the other way around.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Correct. What I mean is, if Microsoft's 'technical marketing' plans around their reveal was leaning into certain technical features, like SSDs or ray tracing, or BC, or 8K, they would have benefited from Sony staying silent. People would be unsure if Sony would have these things, it would make MS seem far ahead etc. etc. They'd have probably been able to make a lot of hay out of talking about these things first in a console context.

Now Sony has come forward with messaging on these features, it kind of commodifies them for next-gen, and sets context and expectation for people going into MS's announcements. Those features will be boxes to tick rather than things MS can associate exclusively with, or own the messaging around, as they might have been able to do for this year at least had Sony said nothing.

So it was clever, IMO, for Sony to disarm these as Xbox specific talking points, to plant their own flag on them, while not going into the nitty gritty specifics. Some might call the info vague, but it's clear enough to do the necessary job here.

Pretty much this. Am the stuff they mentioned are all things we were expecting out of next gen already. When Microsoft has one of these points to say, everyone will be comparing it to what Sony already said.

The reason Sony stayed vague about the nitty gritty was so Microsoft couldn't tout they had something superior over what Sony just announced.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS is already a full year ahead on messaging their next gen stuff.

If anything they will probably have actual next gen games to show in 2 months.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Microsoft doesn't need to respond to anything right now. They already have everything they planned to say ready for E3.

But internally, they need to ditch the lower-spec Lockhart IMO. Go with Anaconda and the cheap streaming console/device that has to use xCloud to do the heavy lifting. Don't let Lockhart hold all next-gen Xbox games back. That's it.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What is the opinion with anacando being held back with cheap Lockhart while ps5 is one strong platform ?? Any concern for this from MS camp ?

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Microsoft needs to respond and show actual 1P games that people want, not specs.

We know MS will deliver in tech and value but they haven't shown the game output that sets them apart. They need to answer that.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

This makes a lot of sense. If Microsoft does indeed have the more powerful console, which insiders all over seem to be saying, then Sony definitely wants to dismantle and slow down that messaging. If they can make it just seem like some higher core clocks, then that's very important. By the time Microsoft announces these features, they will sound standard.

The first impression someone has of your console is so important. Heck there were people in 2015 and 16 that still thought the Xbox One restricted used physical games. Not everyone follows press. So if you're Sony, you don't want Microsoft coming out with all the new of how innovative they are, because announcing point for point the same things after won't matter near as much. Instead, you seem like the revolutionary one, then Microsoft comes up and has the same thing, just maybe with some faster clock speeds or whatever, and like, oh well yeah they're technically more powerful, but it's still comparable, PS5 has all the cool next gen features same as Xbox anyway, and Sony has the games I want, and it's BC with the games I already own.

They may not win the power, and 3rd party games may technically play better on Xbox, and Xbox may claw back a lot of lost ground, but Sony can still ensure a lead with careful strategic messaging like this.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Microsoft just posted a confirmation date on twitter about their conference in June

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1118153920423940096

Sounds like this is their way of responding. "Yeah, wait till E3, guys... hint hint."

It's not a coincidence they posted that today a few hours after Sony's announcement.

I am very excited. Both consoles seem poised to be excellent upgrades, and if the Xbox Two truly is more powerful than the PS5, given how the PS5 already looks like an incredible baseline, then I am over the moon. Good for gaming all around. (especially for us PC gamers too!) :D

"Jump in" is very interesting too.

They were always gonna talk today about E3. As they announced for inside Xbox for today. Because they will talk about Fanfest etc :)

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
The next Xbox will probably be stronger but the general public won't care because it will lack games and the right marketing.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft doesn't need to say anything, they have E3 all to themselves to respond. I suspect a pretty solid showing from them.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it matters too much. What matters is making the most compelling argument overall for why people should buy your console. Sony or Microsoft announcing it first doesn't have much of a long term impact imo, people will have nearly a year (I assume) to stew on it and hear media and personalities talk about it. Come next E3 I assume Microsoft and Sony will be doing a full blowout of everything regarding the console, and I think that's going to be the most important time unless one of them makes a huge fumble that will taint the narrative permanently like Microsoft's DRM stuff did this generation.

The next Xbox will probably be stronger but the general public won't care because it will lack games and the right marketing.

Considering how much money Microsoft has spent making acquisitions, we'll see on the first point. I'd love nothing more than for Microsoft and Sony to both be firing on all cylinders for first party games. That'd be so much great stuff to play.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is MS going for another all out digital platform like OG Xbox one ? If so will you complain or embrace this time?