• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
They were always gonna talk today about E3. As they announced for inside Xbox for today. Because they will talk about Fanfest etc :)

Right but in terms of the response, this is basically Microsoft saying "hey yup, we're still here. If you want to know about our response, we're going to be at E3 as we have said before."

It's DEFINITELY a response. They didn't just post a random reminder for no reason. It's definitely due to Sony's messaging here. Silence wouldn't be good, even if Microsoft can't/doesn't want to announce their plans right now.

It's an appropriate response, and I don't think they are hurting by letting people know when they will hear what comes next.

So yes the announcement exists before, but Sony's blog post is definitely the reason Microsoft would post a reminder about their equivalent.

Popping up at important moments is VERY important for PR to do. The competition making an announcement is one such important time. And you can do that even if you don't have an equivalent answer right this moment.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, what specs? That article doesn't tell us anything we didn't know other than on the SSD, which I'll admit is surprising. Everyone has known for a while it would be Zen 2 and Navi. There's still a big range of performance within those architectures

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Right but in terms of the response, this is basically Microsoft saying "hey yup, we're still here. If you want to know about our response, we're going to be at E3 as we have said before."

It's DEFINITELY a response. They didn't just post a random reminder for no reason. It's definitely due to Sony's messaging here. Silence wouldn't be good, even if Microsoft can't/doesn't want to announce their plans right now.

It's an appropriate response, and I don't think they are hurting by letting people know when they will hear what comes next.

So yes the announcement exists before, but Sony's blog post is definitely the reason Microsoft would post a reminder about their equivalent.

Popping up at important moments is VERY important for PR to do. The competition making an announcement is one such important time. And you can do that even if you don't have an equivalent answer right this moment.

Dont think it is. Like i said they were gonna talk about Fanfest E3 already at inside xbox. Would be weird to talk about that and not have a date.
Its not a reminder either. We didnt know the date yet.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
I think Microsoft enjoys the build up to e3, more so this year than any other.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine they'll just do what they intended to anyway, I dont think what's happened today with the Wired interview changes much. As other people have said, it probably takes the shine off a certain amount because MS wanted to use buzzwords in their conference but they've kind been beaten to the punch. Even so I'm sure they'll just stick to the script regardless.

From my point of view I'm probably looking at trading in my Xbox one X potentially for whatever comes next, which is a shame because it's an amazing machine and I'd almost feel bad even though the next xbox will be superior to it...it almost feels too soon because the mid gen refresh didn't feel like a refresh compared to the PS4 pro, this felt like a brand new console so it just seems weird.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Dont think it is. Like i said they were gonna talk about Fanfest E3 already at inside xbox. Would be weird to talk about that and not have a date.
Its not a reminder either. We didnt know the date yet.

I was under the impression they had announced their presence there, if not a date.

Remember how when Sony announced they wouldn't be at E3, what did Microsoft do that same day? They announced they would. No mention of Sony but it was clearly a response.

Now Sony announces the architecture of their platform. Microsoft can't do so themselves, so they announce an a not-so-subtle way that they will be at E3 with a specific day that you can hint hint hear about their plans.

You always want to do this in marketing. You never let the competition have a day to themselves. Mindshare is that important.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
$400 & free Xbox Live is what they need.
Microsoft can afford to take the loss, otherwise people are honestly just going to say "But PS5 can do 8K, Ray tracing etc" as well as having multiple exclusives everyone wants, it's going to be difficult for Microsoft to win the PS4 audience over.

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The next Xbox will probably be stronger but the general public won't care because it will lack games and the right marketing.

Why you think it will be stronger? Sony only announced/confirmed the architecture and nothing more. They will sure have more of this kind of little reveals this year with other big surprises. I don't think we will get the spec numbers anytime soon, if the Xbox will be "much" more powerful, it will also be way more expansive so Sony is in a better position overall, since they are also the more popular brand.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PS5 specs are not out.
Without actual specs behind the Zen 2 CPU + Navi GPU combo (+RAM), we can't say much about its performance.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I was under the impression they had announced their presence there, if not a date.

Remember how when Sony announced they wouldn't be at E3, what did Microsoft do that same day? They announced they would. No mention of Sony but it was clearly a response.

Now Sony announces the architecture of their platform. Microsoft can't do so themselves, so they announce an a not-so-subtle way that they will be at E3 with a specific day that you can hint hint hear about their plans.

You always want to do this in marketing. You never let the competition have a day to themselves. Mindshare is that important.

They did? You have a link to that?
Also i dont believe today date announcement was a response still. It was always planned as like i said because of inside xbox tonight. Maybe it was the other way arround.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
They are releasing a no physical media console this year, I doubt they do that next year to.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Like many have said Microsoft's response, which has already been planned long before Sony has released this info, will be at E3. Plus they did not really release the specs for the PS5, a bunch of what Cerny has said is still quite vague and nothing concrete.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 specs aren't "out". Without teraflop figures we know exactly jack shit about the raw power of this thing. And of course we will need the same from Microsoft's side as well before we can do a proper comparison.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
They could, but they did already know everything about the competition, im sure of that.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

Ehhh... today is Inside Xbox day, E3 news was already on the agenda and we already knew it was coming at E3.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
PS5 specs aren't "out". Without teraflop figures we know exactly jack shit about the raw power of this thing. And of course we will need the same from Microsoft's side as well before we can do a proper comparison.

Exactly. We need teraflop figures, CPU clockspeeds, and now (possibly) GPU "GigaRays per second" figures, since we could be talking about ray tracing.

i.e. Nvidia now uses GigaRays/s when talking about the performance of their RTX cards/ Turing GPUs.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
They might respond with wanting to put Game Pass on PS5.

Current Microsoft is different than the one that launched the X1. They're after a different prize now.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
E3 will be interesting. Will they up the specs of PS5? I think they will and but I think they might stay vage just to keep things a bit more secret. Probably stuff like "The most powerful next gen system will be released in 2020" and some game-footage (running on PC ofc :) )

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
They might respond with wanting to put Game Pass on PS5.

Current Microsoft is different than the one that launched the X1. They're after a different prize now.

Agreed. It has become increasingly clear that MS has other goals now rather than to sell the most boxes. At this stage I'd bet the bigger win to them right now would be to get Game Pass launching on Sony hardware.

Anyway to answer the OP, I don't think MS has to do anything right now. They practically have this years E3 all to themselves and the eyes of the world will be watching.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
As I've said before. It will be at e3. It will be the Microsoft Show come early June. All eyes will be on them from gaming media to mainstream.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People who talk about the slower SKUs holding back games have no real understand of game design, development, and the financials of the industry.
What if Lockhart doesn't have SSD .developers will have to design their game for HDD to make sure it runs on the platform holding the anacando with SSD back.and no I was not talking about simple scaling down .I meant what if the differences are big that changes the way games are designed .

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
They don't need to respond. Other than confirming backwards compatibility with PS4 and solid storage Sony didn't say anything of value. People are filling in the blanks of what the system is capable of with over active imaginations and expectations. It's going to lead to many falling down to reality when the specs are made public.
Im quite positive Microsoft isn't worried.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I think that really Xbox needs to be close to the apparent announced specs of the PS5, cheaper and release sooner than the PS5.
(I have always got all the consoles) I got a Xbox 360 before a PS3 but I got a PS4 before I got a Xbox One, the main reason was that I had Kinect on X360 and it was ok, however I didn't want to be forced into getting it with the Xbox One and also the higher price, so look at all the X360 players that switched to PS4, now Xbox has to win these players back, this is the issue that Xbox has got.

I will get which one comes out first, but if they both come out within a few months I would go for PS5 (this does depend on the specs and price though) but it's PS5 60%/40% Xbox without knowing any prices/specs.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
They did? You have a link to that?
Also i dont believe today date announcement was a response still. It was always planned as like i said because of inside xbox tonight. Maybe it was the other way arround.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-and-xbox-will-be-at-e3-2019-sony-and-playstation-wont-be

Took me a second but here it is. Microsoft responded very quickly that they would be at E3.

I don't think E3 is tied to the Inside Xbox stuff. I mean, last Inside Xbox was a very big one, and there was no announcements about E3. I don't think this is tied to Inside Xbox.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft doesn't need to respond but moreover I think people expect Microsoft to push a box and tease specs ie all the traditional pre-reveal stuff and I think Microsoft is going to surprise a lot of people with a much more hardware-agnostic and universal approach to their gaming platform next generation. It's not just gonna be them propping up their HD box and saying 'look at how it does things like Sony's box but better'

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
I expect they to hint at E3 that Anaconda is going to be better than what Sony announced today.
Most likely. Phil has said a couple of times that not only is MS in the console business to stay but they'll always have the most powerful ones from now on as well. They'll do anything possible to never be seen as the weaker hardware again. (Even if it's just one expensive sku from a family of products)

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh... today is Inside Xbox day, E3 news was already on the agenda and we already knew it was coming at E3.

I mean, one, they didn't wait till Inside Xbox to announce it. They took a few hours to do so. And two, I mean, last Inside Xbox was big, and they mentioned E3, but never set a date.

Idk maybe it's a coincidence, but it feels very purposeful, even if it is serendipitous for them.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
We know that both boxes would have similar specs anyway....things like GamePass, xCloud, new first party studios and games will be more important than the hardware differences next gen.

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony did show one major piece of their hand other than the SSD today, and that's a release timetable: Next year.

E3 is clearly MS's platform this year--what I wonder is whether this compels MS + the manufacturing chain to try and target somewhere near (not necessarily at) this year's Holiday season to undercut Sony? May not be necessary depending on Sony's plans (I suspect Holiday 2020) but something to consider.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
But it's had a respectable showing since, with the S and X SKUs pushing the power envelope even further, to go along with recent acquisition announcements to plug their most glaring hole - a severe lack of exclusive games.
It remains to be seen if their lack of exclusive games hole is "plugged".

E3 is going to be an important moment for MS, but they need to be careful to not get bodied by Sony again. Just because Sony isn't doing a conf won't stop them from making announcements. I think cloud services is probably their best card to play that Sony might have trouble matching. A 2019 release would be another great play for them, if they can.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Im afraid Ray Tracing will just lead to another gen of games struggling to run above 30fps. I hope Microsoft takes the performance route and talks about the fps.

I dont expect anything before E3.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Their next gen system has been in development for quite a while (much like Sony's) and Sony never gave any hard numbers. As such, MS can do what MS wants to do barring last minute updates akin to PS4's (relatively speaking) last minute 8GB GDDR5 moment.

GameSeeker

Oct 27, 2017
Sony intentionally released information about the PS5 today to undercut Microsoft's upcoming E3 announcement. And they did a fantastic job, leaving Microsoft in a interesting spot.

Sony just said enough about the technical specs to ensure Microsoft will have a difficult time with a "we are better/faster" message. Sony said CPU = 8 core Zen 2, GPU = custom Navi, Raytracing support, 8K support, Backwards compatibility, superfast SSD, and VR support.

Microsoft won't be able to do much more than a "me too" message at E3, unless they are prepared to release more technical details than Sony. Even then, there is no way to ensure Microsoft's spec will actually be better than Sony's. Remember, Microsoft thought Xbox One was going to be equal to or better than PS4. That proved to be a false hope.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
Spec-wise I'm sure they will be close to, equal to, or even better than the PS5 specs. What they need to concentrate on is having games ready to support the consumers that buy it. And not just games at launch, but through the life of the console.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe Sony's not gonna be at E3. What a disappointment. E3 was special:(

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I don't think so. Nothing barring an insane public victory or lashing really matters too much until the full unveilings and beginnings of the real marketing plans. Everything 'tilt then is just gravy for enthusiasts imo.

Nov 12, 2017
Correct. What I mean is, if Microsoft's 'technical marketing' plans around their reveal was leaning into certain technical features, like SSDs or ray tracing, or BC, or 8K, they would have benefited from Sony staying silent. People would be unsure if Sony would have these things, it would make MS seem far ahead etc. etc. They'd have probably been able to make a lot of hay out of talking about these things first in a console context.

Now Sony has come forward with messaging on these features, it kind of commodifies them for next-gen, and sets context and expectation for people going into MS's announcements. Those features will be boxes to tick rather than things MS can associate exclusively with, or own the messaging around, as they might have been able to do for this year at least had Sony said nothing.

So it was clever, IMO, for Sony to disarm these as Xbox specific talking points, to plant their own flag on them, while not going into the nitty gritty specifics. Some might call the info vague, but it's clear enough to do the necessary job here.
It's simple if they go out at the e3 saying we have the most powerful console on the market (if they have it) ..everything Sony said will be deleted......if acarlet is less powerful than the PS5 well then yeah the marketing team have to find a way to create some other buzzwords