• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
With the PS5 now officially on its way and the specs looking even better than expected, the hype train for the next generation can now pretty much essentially begin. Sony has shown their hand, and the hype for their next console will likely be the overwhelming topic in the industry from now until it's launch which could come as soon as next year. And of course, this now means that all eyes will be on their closest competitor.

Microsoft has certainly not had the best of runs this generation with the Xbox One selling noticeably less than their Japanese brother, thanks to a poorly-received first model and their infamous piracy prevention practices and always-online requirement in the run-up to launch, which Sony bodied them for at E3 2013 to the point where the backlash forced them to be rescinded entirely. But it's had a respectable showing since, with the S and X SKUs pushing the power envelope even further, to go along with recent acquisition announcements to plug their most glaring hole - a severe lack of exclusive games. But, with Sony now officially getting tech-heads all giddy with their next box and Nintendo expected to launch a pair of revisions of the Switch - including a more powerful, potentially 4K-equipped Pro model - all eyes are going to be looking at what's next for the Xbox on the hardware front.

We know the box is code-named "Scarlett", with separate models referred to as "Anaconda" and "Lockhart" - but that's pretty much all we know. That said, speculation has ensued with the release of the new, cheaper Xbox One S that, despite potentially having features that are on-par or even superior to its rival, one or both models could be potentially have one major omission - a physical disc drive, which Sony has now confirmed they are keeping intact for their new hardware. With how well Microsoft's aforementioned DRM practices hurt Xbox One sales before the system even released, this decision could go down as certainly a poor move.

As for when we'll hear about it, E3 2019 does seem to be a good bet. Sony won't be attending this year's event, likely to take a year off for the PS5 to undoubtedly fuel most of their marketing in 2020, meaning Microsoft will literally have a captive audience, and not just because they'll be the only place to see most of the console multiplatform games not published by companies putting on their own press events. But could the response come sooner? Microsoft will very likely already have a jam-packed presentation and may very likely have a part to play in Nintendo's own presentation if rumors are to be believed, so the announcement of new hardware could be lost in the shuffle. That said, a move such as this, a low-key, unexpected surprise interview would be seen as downright plagiarism - besides, Microsoft is known for never doing anything low-key, as previous McDonalds-sponsored television specials and over-produced circus performances marked by space ponchos have proven.

All that's clear now is that Sony scored a touchdown and now Microsoft has the ball, but their history of offensive fumbles due to their flashy receiving corps means this is far from an easy drive.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They will, at E3, at their big show they have planned.

I don't see any need to do so before hand.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To the war room!

They are probably glad in a way, not the specs because I presume they will land around the same but that they don't need to worry about talking next gen now that Sony has.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I think the market is in a pretty different place now and that Microsoft could do a no-physical-media console in 2020 without the sort of backlash that they received in 2013.

I assume their specs are locked at this point, so it'll be interesting to see what they are.

Still think the next generation will be decided on the strength of price-of-entry and the quality of exclusive IP more than on specs, though.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we have a very vague overview of what the PS5 will be. Lots of info left to be released.

I wouldn't expect much more from MS at E3.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Is there a better link to the PS5 specs? I'll go Google. The link in the OP goes to some long article that pushes a bunch of ads in your face.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
If anything it seems that Sony "responded" knowing that MS was "going to go big" at E3. MS is probably going to do what they set out to do.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Microsoft will respond at E3 the thing that Sony is not doing.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
They have E3 all to themselves. I can imagine that this hasn't changed anything.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
They don't have to respond, they'll wait 'til they have something to show. People fell in love with PS4 hardware because they came out and showed us what you could do with it. At the moment, Sony is just throwing numbers out to try and drum up hype for a box that we know nothing about and it's working. Half the forum has flipped out over a Wired article rather than seeing things with their own eyes.

Microsoft will wait it out, will wait for the time where they can show things people they want running on the new hot box they want. And that's 110% the right thing to do.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They will, at E3. All eyes will be on them making it a perfect time to announce it.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
But the specs aren't out..they just confirmed a few things that we pretty much assumed anyway..except maybe the SSD.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
If MS wants to properly one-up them then they need to tease us with what a next-gen game looks like. Halo Infinite would suffice, doesn't have to be a new game necessarily

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, we know basic architecture and manufacturing partnerships but not really the actual specs yet.

I think Xbox has been planning their full next-gen plan announcements for E3 of this year, as many have suggested. I think they were hoping they'd be the first because of Sony's known absence from this year's show, but here we are.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They don't have to respond, they'll wait 'til they have something to show. People fell in love with PS4 hardware because they came out and showed us what you could do with it. At the moment, Sony is just throwing numbers out to try and drum up hype for a box that we know nothing about and it's working. Half the forum has flipped out over a Wired article rather than seeing things with their own eyes.

Microsoft will wait it out, will wait for the time where they can show things people they want running on the new hot box they want. And that's 110% the right thing to do.
Is this your first next gen hype cycle? People always get hyped about numbers and news, maybe sometimes more than they should, but this is par for the course. Let people have their fun.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Lol people are acting like this was a full on console reveal. The average person isn't going to get excited until they see games, the physical machine, and release date.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
They will if their specs are better. If they aren't they're going to be figuring out ways to make their hardware seem more appealing despite the power disadvantage or seeing if they can afford to raise the power this late in the game.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 specs is a hint to Microsoft to build a console within the same power level... At least. That's for sure

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Those aren't the specs.....Sony isn't going to reveal actual specs like 1-1.5 years in advance of the thing coming out.

In the end though regardless I don't see the machines being very different than one another. Neither of them are going to let a PS4 -> Xbox 1 or Pro -> X1X kind of thing happen.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
User Warned: Console wars, trolling
Give it a few more days, a week at most, and M$ will copy Sony's SSD and short load time technique and reveal it as their own

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I already have a feeling that whatever they put out will be pretty good spec-wise, so I'm confident on that end in regard to E3. Just hoping GameStop is still around by then so I can trade this one x towards it when the time comes.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Long history of trolling, thread derailing
Does it really matter? MS has shifted more and more towards PC game in the past couple of years. Xbox has a solid poise for next gen. PS has to rely a bit more on console.

Once Xbox gets rid of Phil Spencer and his cronies (to fix their hostile/sexist corporate culture), Xbox will be in a good shape.

Make Xbox great, Satya.

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
They'll just respond with a similar spec system. It's more about the price and services at this point, there's only so much you can do with hardware when you're targeting a sub 500$ price point.