• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
Yeah but how much of that 24GB of combined ram is actually graphic ram?.
It could be 4,6,8, it don't matter. Consoles use VRAM memory for everything because their RAM pool is unified, but games don't rely only on video memory, that's why on PC you have system RAM to go along with the video RAM of your GPU. Those 13GB aren't really that much when you consider these things.

Series X chip comparison (illustration vs photo)

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Where does the 380mm^2 come from? Has anyone measured it already?
(Chip on the new image)
Look at the capacitors in both images. Even with the different angle, bad quality, and one being a picture and the other a render, you can clearly see the layout and count relative to the SOC are the same.

gHu1WbMe.jpg

scarlett_soc.jpg

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
It could be 4,6,8 it don't matter. Consoles use VRAM memory for everything because it's unified, but games don't rely only on video memory, that's why on PC you have system RAM to go along with the video RAM of your GPU.

But at the end the 8 GB for VRAM is duplicated in RAM. Here like I said 10/11 GB of GDDR6 will be use for VRAM and 2 to 3 GB for other system and the SSD will be used for steaming. For doing the same on PC you need 16 GB of DDR4 and 10/11 GB of VRAM.

10/11 GB of VRAM is like high end PC card and enough for 4k.

And this is enough because of the SSD.

Last edited:

beta

Dec 31, 2019
It could be 4,6,8, it don't matter. Consoles use VRAM memory for everything because their RAM pool is unified, but games don't rely only on video memory, that's why on PC you have system RAM to go along with the video RAM of your GPU. So those 13GB ain't really that much when you consider these things.

Sure but the main memory pool on a PC is much slower than the consoles GDDR6. Additionally the hard drive is likely to be much slower than the hard drive on either console.

Theres also no PCIE transfer cost on a console, also reducing the amount of caching you need to do in VRAM.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
What would be the point of lockhart being 380mm^2? that would just make it really hard to release it at a low price. I am pretty sure its the Series X. Its possible the calculations of the previous image were too big because of the image being at an angle, this time the image is from the top so the calculations should be more accurate.

Its from phil's twitter, its xbox.
Could be that Lockhart is using XSX chips that dont make the Yield?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Could be that Lockhart is using XSX chips that dont make the Yield?
That would still mean rather expensive chips, not the $299 console people were hoping for that's for sure, that's assuming Xbox series X chip's yield isn't absolute terrible to the point that they have significantly more faulty chips than working ones.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
That would still mean rather expensive chips, not the $299 console people were hoping for that's for sure, that's assuming Xbox series X chip's yield isn't absolute terrible to the point that they have significantly more faulty chips than working ones.
Not sure. Of they were destined for the bin, maybe it's ok.
I have no idea if they could do that, but apparently AMD does it with their line of RDNA cards at the moment, so maybe MS could follow suit.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Re: the Hellblade 2 trailer, similar to how I don't believe Cerny was lying when he said the PS5 will have hardware-accelerated RT, I don't believe Phil was lying when he said it was running in real-time.

www.gamespot.com

Hellblade 2 Revealed For Xbox Series X, Continuing Senua's Saga

Microsoft showed off Senua's Saga: Hellblade II during The Game Awards, running on the Xbox Series X.
It was probably running in "real time", but it's real time was 24fps, not a game frame rate, so technically it had a bigger frame budget than a console game, which some will say doesn't count as "running in real time"
with that weak ass CPU? No way.
I am confused, they asked whether Lockhart could be binned Xbox series x chips, not Xbox one x.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
It was probably running in "real time", but it's real time was 24fps, not a game frame rate, so technically it had a bigger frame budget than a console game, which some will say doesn't count as "running in real time"

That's fair, but I think there's a big gap between that statement and saying the demo was pre-rendered, as was being argued a page or two back.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
That's fair, but I think there's a big gap between that statement and saying the demo was pre-rendered, as was being argued a page or two back.

I actually didn't know that Phil had said anything about it being in real-time, I just remembered what he said on stage. So definitely not pre-rendered.

But yeah, it being 3840x1608 and 24fps does make it a little iffy. Personally I actually do think it's a good representation of what we will get from AAA next-gen games at at least some point, especially with reconstruction, but I do still wonder if it's what we'll get right from the start. I'm looking forward to finding out.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

When they will see trailers and demos from both sides, they will look back and recnsider the false assumptions they said about HB2.
We have already Project Mara done by the same devs and using the same engine that many overlooked yet the more we get stuff like this, the more such claims will be revealed to be clueless and baseless.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Re: the Hellblade 2 trailer, similar to how I don't believe Cerny was lying when he said the PS5 will have hardware-accelerated RT, I don't believe Phil was lying when he said it was running in real-time.

www.gamespot.com

Hellblade 2 Revealed For Xbox Series X, Continuing Senua's Saga

Microsoft showed off Senua's Saga: Hellblade II during The Game Awards, running on the Xbox Series X.

There is no correlation between those two statements, and I would say that one, given the history of presenting demos as 'real time' has a history which encourages a degree of caution. Didn't he say 'in engine anyway'? I suspect it was offline rendered using real time assets just like the Uncharted 4 trailer. However, I would be very happy to proven wrong. Looked absolutely stunning.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
There is no correlation between those two statements, and I would say that one, given the history of presenting demos as 'real time' has a history which encourages a degree of caution. Didn't he say 'in engine anyway'? I suspect it was offline rendered using real time assets just like the Uncharted 4 trailer. However, I would be very happy to proven wrong. Looked absolutely stunning.

The real time thing was confirmed to Gamespot alongside the XSX reveal in the article I linked.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

He said in engine.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017

I am confused, they asked whether Lockhart could be binned Xbox series x chips, not Xbox one x.

Oh oups... sorry. :D

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Anthem reveal trailer was also running in engine in real time, so we will see...
Ninja Theory and MS are not Sony/ND or EA/Bioware. The fact that those other pairs either lied or had to make concessions to their vision has no bearing on how Ms/NT will handle their targets.

At least the trailer had real time artifacts which already puts it closer to being real than uncharted 4 reveal trailer.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for speaking for the whole of Europe, but that just isn't true. The media has gone ballastic, but many of us have many other concerns than just Corona. I mean my dad is getting surgery and his immune system will be down so I am concerned, but there is far more going on in the world than this one issue. Its kind of interesting to see how the narrative is constructed though.

You gotta be kidding me, "the media has gone ballistic"? You better start paying attention and taking this shit seriously.

People are NOT receptive to gaming news, obviously, and we won't have a reveal any time soon

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Uncharted 4 wasn't using real time assets, as they said shader quality, lighting, texture quality, hair samples and shadow resolution were all above what is possible in real time on a ps4.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Can i just say that when it comes to who's releasing news better or who's handling their launch roadmap better, Microsoft wins this round.From it's quick mention back in E3 2018 to now MS is doing a bang up job in keeping people informed while teasing speculators like us more subtle info to dissect, analyse and discuss for a while.

Bravo Microsoft.

OP
OP
Mecha Meister

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
OT12TF.... This is when the PS5 will be revealed.

And a big WELCOME BACK TO Mecha Meister
Welcome back Mecha Meister. Great OT as always.

I hope the avatar contest continues.
The OT Meister is back :)
Great find, thanks for sharing.

There are no less busy times.

Welcome from a fellow noob.

Mecha Meister welcome back and great OT as ever. You might want to edit the last paragraph about the contest, however, unless you want people tagging you instead of Transistor when making bets.
Ah finally another Mecha Meister thread again, just feels right. Now PS5 can be unveiled.
Great OP Mecha Meister , almost too much information lol.

And thanks Transistor for holding the torch thus far. I think you deserve to take like a two-week break though
Ahh that Mecha Meister OT: delicious great work
Mecha Meister and Transistor have put in great effort with the OPs, it's really commendable.
Don't look at me. That's all Mecha Meister. He's the brains behind that.

I'm just here for comic relief
Epic OT Mecha Meister. The Hype is really kicking off now.

2020.......year of the TF.
Damn that OP's insanely detailed, GG Mecha Meister
Transistor I don't know if anyone has thanked you... But thank you for trying to keep the previous OT a bit more sane :D

Also Mecha Meister you're fan fucking tastic :D Thank you for making this kickass OT

Thanks for the support everyone! 😃

True story :) The same question pops up every x pages.

I understand not all people read every post - I don't do that too - but I still scan the posts for interesting stuff.

I think the thread mark system is underused. IMO discussions should be thread marked more, instead of just specific posts.

Maybe an idea to explore?
Mecha Meister Transistor

Definitely, I'll start with Phil Spencer's avatar. It has been speculated that the Xbox Series X is going to feature a 320 bit memory interface due to a render we saw of Project Scarlett, now as highlighted in this thread, Phil Spencer's avatar on twitter features 10 memory chips which hints towards a 320 bit memory interface!

Phil Spencer (@XboxP3) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from Phil Spencer (@XboxP3). Head of Xbox | #PowerYourDreams. Redmond, WA | Gamer Tag: P3

Look at his profile Picture
320-bit bus confirmed. 20GB of GDDR6 max.
What a way to release those infos LOL
gHu1WbMe_400x400.jpg

I think this is the Lockhart mobo :o

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I haven't been that happy with DF of late as an aside. Not sure what it is exactly and could just be with the whole virus thing but I just find myself not being able to sit through and enjoy their content. I almost just read comments to get the gist of things. Surely with actual next gen info they'll have more to talk about but lately I haven't seen things on their channel that grabs me. Even DF Retro has been kinda meh. I'd really love some more retrospectives and such. The Batman video was really boring to watch.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
So XSX is approximately 380mm2?

Disappointing! I was expecting a gargantuan +400mm2 chip!

Well, at least Ms is keeping us entertained with these tidbits, so thanks Phil!

Looking forward to Digital Foundry's video on this last pucture lol

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it is guaranteed that these consoles will be delayed to next year. It really depends whether things stabilise over the next couple of months or not. They could release closer to Xmas, and I don't think that would impact sales much, although I would expect supply to be more constrained and initial prices might rise unfortunately.

You gotta be kidding me, "the media has gone ballistic"? You better start paying attention and taking this shit seriously.

People are NOT receptive to gaming news, obviously, and we won't have a reveal any time soon

OT: I stand by that, for instance from the Guardian a couple of days back. I know a lot of people working in public health, including my brother, and have a reasonable amount of insight into the field. I also know quite a number who are unhappy with the way much of the media is dealing with the issue. My intent is not to downplay the issue by any means - I think for instance, the response taken in a number of Asian countries has probably been the most responsible one - but to draw attention to how a narrative is being built that isn't particularly helpful. Here in the UK we lurched from one new story which monopolises attention to the next. Added to this, I have a very close family member who is going through surgery this week and is very vulnerable to the virus. I have no reason to downplay it, but also no reason not to note that narrative around the virus and the actual virus itself are not the same thing. Also stuff like this highlights the double edge sword of discourses like this becoming public and updated in real time before a lot of the analysis is actually done...

For instance, below they should better aggregate their Coronavirus news stories.

89815123_10156908797632091_4332810931449888768_o.jpg

Last edited:

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not expecting anything before June and if the consoles don't make it this year possibly August.
I suppose the wait is just unbearable but at the same time we still waiting for a official reveal on Xbox series X, so maybe that's what PlayStation is waiting for to figure out how much cheaper they can sell it for to undercut it as it definitely helped the PS4

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i dont particularily trust my own estimation skills, but going by the 12mm length rogame mentioned for the gddr6 chip with pixel counting i got 375mm^2

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Ninja Theory and MS are not Sony/ND or EA/Bioware. The fact that those other pairs either lied or had to make concessions to their vision has no bearing on how Ms/NT will handle their targets.

At least the trailer had real time artifacts which already puts it closer to being real than uncharted 4 reveal trailer.

I think it's instructive to remember that when Gears 5 was revealed via "in-engine" cutscene at E3 2018, that cutscene ended up being rendered in real-time (as with all of the cinematics in that game), but they didn't say so at the time.

I fully expect that both that Halo Infinite trailer, as well as the Hellblade 2 trailer, are representative of in-game cinematics being rendered in real-time, but that they didn't want to declare that at the time and get pilloried for it later if forced to scale back.

I think the only game Microsoft has even been bold enough to declare "real time!" for in the last couple of years, was the Flight Sim trailer - because you probably wouldn't believe it otherwise, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.