• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's arrogant silence shall be their undoing. They had a good run RIP
giphy.gif

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I honestly don't see how anything has changed in terms of what the GitHub leak showed, but the second I saw the Series X specs go up I knew it would dominate discussion in this thread. Can't wait for the thread split at this point, Sony probably won't talk for a while but hopefully they'll put their spec sheet out before the GDC streams since it might leak anyways (reason I think MS did it today). PS5 has a lower BOM but is a full tflop more powerful? I just don't see it, especially since nothing has ever shown it to be Sony's goal. They never go for the power crown, but instead focus on a balance between price and performance first.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
It looks highly modular with simple large blocks; inside a simple case. No real nooks or crannies.

Opening up a PS4 Pro by comparison is a nightmare and I can imagine construction is a lot more complex.

You know that wasn't the real insides? I mean it was in the fact it looks like that but those were magnets that snapped together real easy for a demo purpose

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I don't give a shit about who is on top in the end, but the feel of reveals versus last gen's spec drops. It's unreal. Oh, PS4 isn't 2.4 Tflops? That's a bummer. Maybe Xbox will...wait, WHAT?!

This time it's fuck yeah, raytracing, SSD, sure, fucking 3.8 GHz CPU, a 12 Tflops GPU at 1.8 Ghz with a shit ton of features, add that to the pile while you're at it. And with the small-ish APU size it might not even be 599 in the end 🤣

If Sony comes around that same ballpark this gen will be so, so good. Great specs for multiplats, please.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
My brain's starting to hurt from having to explain why you can't plug in the cheapest POS SSD into a next-gen console. Hope DF does an entire video on this so I can just link to it.

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
There is one thing which I think might become a problem for the XSX along the way: the air exhausts on top of the tower
I can see people forgetting their game cases on top of it which will greatly decrease cooling... :/

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
How can it be 2GB/s, when it takes 10sec for XSX to load state of decay 2? Is loading doing something else than copying data from SSD to RAM?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
There is one thing which I think might become a problem for the XSX along the way: the air exhausts on top of the tower
I can see people forgetting their game cases on top of it which will greatly decrease cooling... :/

What's a "game case"?

I haven't bought physical since the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I honestly don't see how anything has changed in terms of what the GitHub leak showed, but the second I saw the Series X specs go up I knew it would dominate discussion in this thread. Can't wait for the thread split at this point, Sony probably won't talk for a while but hopefully they'll put their spec sheet out before the GDC streams since it might leak anyways (reason I think MS did it today). PS5 has a lower BOM but is a full tflop more powerful? I just don't see it, especially since nothing has ever shown it to be Sony's goal. They never go for the power crown, but instead focus on a balance between price and performance first.
Simply put... the GitHub leak only mentioned 56CU for the XSX and 36CU for the PS5.

Now, this reveal shos that while the XSX has 56CU, 4CU are disabled leaving only 52CU active. If we continue to take the GitHub stuff as gospel, then we should apply that same oversight to the PS5 GPU. Meaning the PS5 GPU is actually a 32CU GPU and not a 36CU one.

At this point, the PS5 could have the exact same APU but just go about clocks differently. Like a CPU with say 3.2Ghz and a 2Ghz GPU.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
There's actually a little slot on the side that will still push out atleast some heat.

PSbigfan

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
I have crazy theory .
Tommy fisher was right about Xsex specs.
Maybe he is right here too.

And we have this tweet

And after that we have this tweet

Did bluepoint next game is castlevania executive to PS5.

Or I'm just Crazy 😅.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
All of the consistent rumors/leaks and Sony's complete silence on the subject over the last couple months

the last thing they've said about next gen was the PS5 logo reveal in January

what rumours or leaks have suggested PS5 is weaker?

Outside of GitHub, which is now thoroughly questionable as to how it relates to final hardware, what other "consistent" rumours suggest PS5 is weaker?

We have Reiner, Moriarty and Klee saying PS5 is stronger.

We have Matt and Schrier saying they are both extremely close.

Tommy Fisher accurately predicted the Xbox specs down to CU count and clock speed. Moreso than the leak I responded to. He also said PS5 had the lead. Though he is questionable because he also spread a fake DS5 shot.

So where are these "consistent" rumours that PS5 is "significantly" weaker? I've certainly missed them...

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Sure, but many devs are likely to compress further on the disk, since storage space is at a premium. Remember, next-gen games are still going to have to fit on 100 GB BDs. There's no way many developers won't use heavier compression algorithms. They definitely are now.

Here there is a standard format BCPack(Direct Storage) it will help to compress further the texture on disk and because of the realtime hardware decompression, it will help to stream more data on RAM. And it will probably be a standard on Xbox and PC in the future. I suppose we will have new line of Direct Storage SSD on PC.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Simply put... the GitHub leak only mentioned 56CU for the XSX and 36CU for the PS5.

Now, this reveal shos that while the XSX has 56CU, 4CU are disabled leaving only 52CU active. If we continue to take the GitHub stuff as gospel, then we should apply that same oversight to the PS5 GPU. Meaning the PS5 GPU is actually a 32CU GPU and not a 36CU one.

At this point, the PS5 could have the exact same APU but just go about clocks differently. Like a CPU with say 3.2Ghz and a 2Ghz GPU.
The Series X wasn't tested in Github, just mentioned. Also it's a very incomplete data set. I in no way think it's 100% final hardware, but it shows at the time a part of what was being worked on. Today's reveal doesn't change anything as far as GitHub being the only information about ps5 we have. My add-on is that I never thought Sony would go for a power crown, because they don't do that normally.

NEW DISCUSSION GUIDELINES

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Official Staff Communication

Alright, people. Listen up. The Series X specs officially got revealed. You can discuss those here:

www.resetera.com

Xbox Series X: A Closer Look at the Technology Powering the Next Generation

Just posted over on Xbox Wire: First, the Specs. Before diving into what's meant by each feature they discuss in the article, check out the Xbox Series X glossary for details on what each feature is defined as: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/xbox-series-x-glossary/ Xbox...

As for the PS5, we're going to use this thread for that speculation. Valid discussion topics include:

Performance guesses and speculation
Leaked / rumored info
Excitement / hype

What is not allowed:

Trolling. Antagonizing. Hostility.
Doom and gloom complaining about Sony's silence.

Remember everyone. The world has a lot going on right now. Things may have been delayed as far as announcements and reveals go. Let's try to keep this thread positive, informative, and enjoyable.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
How can it be 2GB/s, when it takes 10sec for XSX to load state of decay 2? Is loading doing something else than copying data from SSD to RAM?
It's going to depend on the game, i expect next gen games designed with the nvme in mind will load faster, while last gen games could load slower, i could be very wrong though.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication

Alright, people. Listen up. The Series X specs officially got revealed. You can discuss those here:

www.resetera.com

Xbox Series X: A Closer Look at the Technology Powering the Next Generation

Just posted over on Xbox Wire: First, the Specs. Before diving into what's meant by each feature they discuss in the article, check out the Xbox Series X glossary for details on what each feature is defined as: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/xbox-series-x-glossary/ Xbox...

As for the PS5, we're going to use this thread for that speculation. Valid discussion topics include:

Performance guesses and speculation
Leaked / rumored info
Excitement / hype

What is not allowed:

Trolling. Antagonizing. Hostility.
Doom and gloom complaining about Sony's silence.

Remember everyone. The world has a lot going on right now. Things may have been delayed as far as announcements and reveals go. Let's try to keep this thread positive, informative, and enjoyable.
Good stuff, thanks!

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Well it was a good run but so long PS5\XSX speculation thread .
Welcome to the PS5 thread only and so long to those that leaving .

Kristijan1001

Jun 1, 2019
If anyone can add all the parts and their retail price to see what price we will get. 1TB NVMe that is solid is currently like 240$. The EVO 970.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't give a shit about who is on top in the end, but the feel of reveals versus last gen's spec drops. It's unreal. Oh, PS4 isn't 2.4 Tflops? That's a bummer. Maybe Xbox will...wait, WHAT?!

This time it's fuck yeah, raytracing, SSD, sure, fucking 3.8 GHz CPU, a 12 Tflops GPU at 1.8 Ghz with a shit ton of features, add that to the pile while you're at it. And with the small-ish APU size it might not even be 599 in the end 🤣

If Sony comes around that same ballpark this gen will be so, so good. Great specs for multiplats, please.

Totally agree! This is nothing like last gen...If MS is anything to go by, this gen will be magnificent.

Status
Not open for further replies.