• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, is it a given that if the PS5 has the same or similar specs to XSX then it will also be that size? It will have to be to keep it cool?

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
He's the only leak that 100% completely accurately predicted the XSX specs. CU, TF and clock speed.

GitHub didn't do that. Schrier didn't do that. Klee didn't do that.

I don't think at least entertaining the possibility that he might be legit when it comes to specs is crazy.

If we look at the final XSX specs and who made what predictions then he is actually the most accurate source.

Is it possible he presented himself as an insider and guessed the XSX specs, often against the info we had at the time (RDNA2, 52CUs), and happened to get it absolutely spot on with extremely specific details that weren't rounded numbers (12.1TF/1.82Ghz)? Sure it is possible. But is it likely?

We have lots of people here trying to say it is likely. Yet Tommy was the only person who predicted those numbers. The only one who said 52CU/12.1TF/1.82Ghz/RDNA2.

If I were Tommy and I was guessing those specs I'd be buying some lottery tickets right about now.
He got a million other things wrong and got banned for it... on gaf of all places...

not to mention his "guess" was in the realm of a lot of other educated guesses once we knew 12tf was a hot rumor, as well as GitHub

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
We might not know much about the PS5, but I can say with confidence, without any worry to be wrong, that the PS5 is not below 10 TF. It's just not logical, it's not comprehensible, and goes against everything Sony has done in the past four generations.

Whoever is saying that, it's just because they think Sony will want to keep the $399. That's their ONLY defense. With the specs of Xbox Series X revealed, there is no way it will cost less that $499, and even speculating $599 is not even crazy. Just with the SSD technology, is enough to know that there is no way the PS5 can cost $399, and everybody knows it.

I even think that both consoles being at $499 will come with a higher loss than either Sony nor Microsoft would want.

And like I said before, the ball is now on Sony's court. We know everything about the XSX as of today, and they can plan their reveal accordingly. If they are higher or lower in some regard, they can focus on their best positives, and treat their negatives some other way. Sony knows the PS5 will be compared head to head to XSX since the first second they reveal it.

Microsoft is waiting for E3 (now a Direct-style), to focus entirely on games. They are making sure E3 is all about the games. It will be games, games, games, games, PRICE, over! Sony is still a mystery, but I think that as long as the console is more on par to XSX (which, IMO 100% is), they will not disappoint.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
In truth, MS reveal left the door wide open fr sony to one-up them. That's because not a single next-gen game was shown at all. Sony can come an talk up specs and features as expected then show a couple of next-gen gams and be showing what those specs can really do and that would be enough for them to have a better showing.

I really don't get how MS decided to do this and not show a single next gen game. Hell, they could have had a small playable snippet of Halo or even cyberpunk or something.

Makes this easier for sony.

I think that MS is working it perfectly. They have undisputedly revealed more of their machine and its capabilities. Now they will hold the games and price in their back pocket closer to release date.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy theory: I think he might be Klee himself.
Klee was still here when TF popped up. They are most def not the same guy. Klee did not think he was legit.

He got a million other things wrong and got banned for it... on gaf of all places...

not to mention his "guess" was in the realm of a lot of other educated guesses once we knew 12tf was a hot rumor, as well as GitHub
I don't know what to think about the guy, but:

As it has been pointed out, if he had used GitHub for XSX specs he would have had said 56 active compute units, as it showed. He actually went against that. GitHub even showed a 1.675 GHz clock, which results in exactly 12.06 TF. He also said RDNA2, even when MS focused insiders were saying not 2 but more like RDNA 1.5+ and went against most conventional thinking at the time.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
He's the only leak that 100% completely accurately predicted the XSX specs. CU, TF and clock speed.

I don't think at least entertaining the possibility that he might be legit when it comes to specs is crazy.

If we look at the final XSX specs and who made what predictions then he is actually the most accurate source.

Is it possible he presented himself as an insider and guessed the XSX specs, often against the info we had at the time (RDNA2, 52CUs), and happened to get it absolutely spot on with extremely specific details that weren't rounded numbers (12.1TF/1.82Ghz)? Sure it is possible. But is it likely?

We have lots of people here trying to say it is likely. Yet Tommy was the only person who predicted those numbers. The only one who said 52CU/12.1TF/1.82Ghz/RDNA2.

If I were Tommy and I was guessing those specs I'd be buying some lottery tickets right about now.
Or he knew xsx specs and trolled us with ps5 specs? Just like a few other accounts from that other place.

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017
Funny how MS is just giving away information on things sony seems to be safeguarding with their life lol.

would be pretty dumb to make any announcements right now. especially when people are getting sick, dying, and are generally scared. Do you really think its a good idea to announce specs to a gaming console right now? I personally would wait until all this blows over and the world gets past this pandemic.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
would be pretty dumb to make any announcements right now. especially when people are getting sick, dying, and are generally scared. Do you really think its a good idea to announce specs to a gaming console right now? I personally would wait until all this blows over and the world gets past this pandemic.
ive been sick for four days. worrying about my kids who are also sick. worrying about the economy and stocking up on food. effectively quarantined in my house because i just dont know if i have the regular flu or coronavirus, and yet this spec reveal instantly made me feel better this morning.

i think this might not be the perfect time to reveal specs, but this seems to have worked for MS, so why not sony?

BranFlakes

Nov 5, 2017
would be pretty dumb to make any announcements right now. especially when people are getting sick, dying, and are generally scared. Do you really think its a good idea to announce specs to a gaming console right now?

Xbox announced their specs today, I don't see any problem with that. There should be no reason why Sony couldn't announce their specs the same way Xbox just did, and I'm sure it would momentarily help people take their mind off things that are happening now.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Keeping silent is not the end of the world when it almost feels like the end of the world out there.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
So, is it a given that if the PS5 has the same or similar specs to XSX then it will also be that size? It will have to be to keep it cool?

What I'm assuming, probably best to also. Already thinking of how I'll have to change my set-up, currently they'd block my TV, probably look at hanging my TV on the wall, as the only other option would be putting the systems behind it, which just seems like a really bad idea.

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017
Keeping silent is not the end of the world when it almost feels like the end of the world out there.
yep. if I am giving out details on a flagship product I want those details to own the tech news cycle, not share said news cycle with a pandemic. Even worse be consciously or subconsciously associated with fear, disease, death, illness etc. In the advertising world brands that care about "brand safety" will often ask that their ad copy be disassociated with negative content for this very reason.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

And if it was so easy to "guess" that XSX was 52CU/1.82Ghz/12.1TF/RDNA2 how come he is literally the only person to do it?

We all knew the rough ballpark of the XSX specs. He got them absolutely spot on. Not only that but aspects of his prediction were against the train of thought at the time (52CU, RDNA2).

It's possible he presented himself as an insider and guessed SUPER specific specs that nobody else was guessing and got it right. It's not likely though.

His other stuff? Well Klee also predicted a Feb PS5 meeting. I wouldn't hold that against either of them, because if one was planned it almost certainly would have been cancelled due to coronavirus.

DS5? He may have wanted to get banned and tarnish his rep because he didn't want the specs going too far and people finding out who leaked them, or was simply just trolling with it.

Or he knew xsx specs and trolled us with ps5 specs? Just like a few other accounts from that other place.

Probably the most depressing possibility!

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Even if PS5 is more powerful , it doesn't matter, the XSX is so powerful that the difference will be not major and not noticeable at all.
We won't have any multiplatform disparity like this gen: all same settings, resolution and FPS.
It all comes to the exclusives now.

Last edited:

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017
Even if PS5 is more pwoerful, it doesn't matter, the XSX is so powerful that the difference will be not major and not noticeable at all.
We won't have any multiplatform disparity like this gen: all same settings, resolution and FPS.
It all comes to the exclusives now.

I have a feeling this is how its going to be for quite some, that is until consoles are nothing more than a data center pumping games into your home via interwebs

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling this is how its going to be for quite some, that is until consoles are nothing more than a data center pumping games into your home.

Diminishing returns will happen even with PCs too. Like I said here:

Well for now yeah but not in the upcoming years. The general course of time will be the same. But this time, it's the first time we are getting high-end.
Still even if next-gen consoles will be surpassed by PCs, don't expect low settings vs max settings like this gen vs PC like pixelated shadows vs crips shadows. All versions of games will stay high end but PC will offer 5K and more if a console game is 4K and 75 FPs and more if a PC game is 60 FPS. Diminishing returns will happen and the gap now is so narrowed down.

We will have peace between all platforms since games will look phenomenal regardless of the platforms.

Oct 27, 2017
Me too tbh... We've lost half the community. Do find it a bit weird that members apparently only care about the specs on one console though.
Everyone has a preferred platform. There's no shame in that tbh.

If you read between the lines of the faux-neutrality / objectivity, it was always there. No point in letting the split throw you off though, just look at it as the threads being better optimised and (hopefully) a lower chance of proxy-console-war antagonism.

Last edited:

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Wut GH didn't predicted anything but it was definitely the SX chip there.

The test was theorical unlike the ones for Oberon so it made sense it only showed the chip details as in 56CUs. There was speculation before whether the 56 cu was the full chip and there would be some disabled or if it was counting only the active ones. If anything it further confirms the GH leak with the bandwidth

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

The test was theorical unlike the ones for Oberon so it made sense it only showed the chip details as in 56CUs. There was speculation before whether the 56 cu was the full chip and there would be some disabled or if it was counting only the active ones. If anything it further confirms the GH leak with the bandwidth

Github showed 56 active CUs, that is not accurate. It was also one of the things everyone was basing their calculations on, 52CU is quite a surprise to anyone who bought into GitHub.

Maybe Arden was the dev kit with all 56CUs active. I'm not saying GitHub isn't real. I'm saying it didn't predict the final XSX GPU specs as accurately as Tommy, which it true.

Anyway, enough arguing about the likelihood of Tommy predicting the XSX specs. More leaks please.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

No, that's not what was shown. It showed 56 active CU. Best theory is it may have been accurate for dev kit, but the theoretical perf does not match the XSX.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
You didn't. You said instead of "guessing" the exact clock speed he "guessed" the exact CU count (52) and TFs (12.1) and then worked out the exact clock speed.

Which is six of one half a dozen of the other. Guessing both of those spot on, especially to decimal places with the TF, is also equally unlikely.

There are three variables - CU, clock speed and TF. In order to "guess" he would have had to guess two of them correctly and at least one of them to decimal point accuracy in order to work out the third. He also wasn't throwing out lots of specs like us guessing on here and one of them turned out to be right either.

I can't believe we are having the conversation that when an insider predicts specs of a next gen console to DECIMAL POINT accuracy and gets it 100% spot on that the most likely explanation was he guessed and won the lottery.
Actually it was before their 12TF reveal, and after GitHub.

MS just said "twice as powerful as Xbox One X".

So while everyone was arguing about GCN vs RDNA1 flops as to what Phil meant, and while it was certain XSX was 56 active CUs as per GitHub and definitely NOT RDNA2 (don't be ridiculous!) old Tommy predicted it was a 12.1TF machine with a 1.82Ghz GPU and was RDNA2.

What a lucky guy!

And if it was so easy to "guess" that XSX was 52CU/1.82Ghz/12.1TF/RDNA2 how come he is literally the only person to do it?

We all knew the rough ballpark of the XSX specs. He got them absolutely spot on. Not only that but aspects of his prediction were against the train of thought at the time (52CU, RDNA2).

It's possible he presented himself as an insider and guessed SUPER specific specs that nobody else was guessing and got it right. It's not likely though.

His other stuff? Well Klee also predicted a Feb PS5 meeting. I wouldn't hold that against either of them, because if one was planned it almost certainly would have been cancelled due to coronavirus.

DS5? He may have wanted to get banned and tarnish his rep because he didn't want the specs going too far and people finding out who leaked them, or was simply just trolling with it.

I have to say, he had like 50% chance of guessing that. If you take 12TF for granted (because of the windows central leak), there aren't many ways of achieving that. You basically have two options:
1) 52CU @1.81Ghz.
2) 56CU @1.675Ghz.

Anything else doesn't make much sense. I mean, you can add two less likely options, 48CU @1.95Ghz, and 60CU @1.562Ghz but that's still well over 25% chance (considering the last two options aren't that likely). A lot of numbers have been thrown around, I mean I made a post about XSX memory having two speeds, 10GB @560GB/s and 6GB @336GB/s back in December which is spot on, but you don't see me claiming to be an insider. I just take the rumors and leaked numbers and play with them according to my technical knowledge and still I've provided better and more accurate "insider" information.

Last edited:

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
I've heard that Sony don't yet have "test" kits available, these being units that look just like the retail kits, except they have debug features and cannot run retail discs.

I wonder if there's any significance to this.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I have to say, he had like 50% chance of guessing that. If you take 12TF for granted (because of the windows central leak), there aren't many ways of achieving that. You basically have two options:
1) 52CU @1.8Ghz.
2) 56CU @1.675Ghz.

That is the point though. He didn't use 12TF or 1.8Ghz.

He used 12.1TF/1.82Ghz (the exact figures).

Like I said, and others have said, earlier in the thread - there is a world of difference between a guess of 12TF/52CU/1.8Ghz (which I agree is likely just being lucky) and a guess of 12.1TF/52CU/1.82Ghz/RDNA2.

And this is what some people don't seem to understand. This wasn't a vague guess with rounded numbers. This was absolutely spot on to decimal places. And with RDNA2. That is a very different kettle of fish and clearly not a "50% chance of guessing". Forgive me if my mathematics is wrong but if it was that obvious and likely a guess tommy wouldn't be the only person on the internet that guessed that exact constellation of specs.

He absolutely could have guessed it. But people are way overplaying the odds of him guessing the exact constellation of figures to decimal places, and also RDNA2.

Anyway we will see. It is certainly interesting that someone claiming to be an insider got it 100% correct when it came to XSX specs.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel

Like I said, and others have said, earlier in the thread - there is a world of difference between a guess of 12TF/52CU/1.8Ghz (which I agree is likely just being lucky) and a guess of 12.1TF/52CU/1.82Ghz/RDNA2.

And this is what some people don't seem to understand. This wasn't a vague guess with rounded numbers. This was absolutely spot on to decimal places. And with RDNA2. That is a very different kettle of fish and clearly not a "50% chance of guessing". Forgive me if my mathematics is wrong but if it was that obvious and likely a guess tommy wouldn't be the only person on the internet that guessed that exact constellation of specs.

He absolutely could have guessed it. But people are way overplaying the odds of him guessing the exact constellation of figures to decimal places, and also RDNA2.

Anyway we will see. It is certainly interesting that someone claiming to be an insider got it 100% correct when it came to XSX specs.
well, 1820Mhz isn't 1825Mhz, so not exactly the figure to the decimal point, right? Do we have anything else he brought to cross information and see his data is accurate? Did he say 13.5GB available for developers? Or maybe that the memory speed is split between 560GB/s and 336GB/s?

edit:
Here he says 1.8Ghz and it doesn't even sound like he is saying that from knowledge:
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT7| - nm

I'm sure he was briefed thoroughly on the choices. What does this matter in the context of next-gen? In 2025 you don't think that'll be behind?

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I know it seems like Sony should reveal now but in a way I kinda hope they use this to plan their reveal strategically. MS has gone for quite a hardcore/tech approach with DF. I'd like more of a dev/game/new tech approach from Sony. Get some first party devs discussing the console in some way, maybe reveal a new look at a game and the controller etc.

If Sony reveals it now it will seem more reactionary than if they do it in their own time. Not that it's about pride, obviously. It just doesn't seem confident if you're just waiting to see what the competition does. I'd be happy with something in April. I think it's a better time than now with all attention so focused on how life is going to be after the virus.

Not worried at all the machine will be powerful. I have literally never bought a Sony product wishing they had put more capability or power into it. It's not how they operate as a brand. Even if it's not as high as XSX it will definitely push the envelope.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

It's funny now that when people thought he was trolling on everything, now they are saying he either knew specs of XSX or had made an ultra lucky lottery guess and at the same time he is trolling about PS5 stuff cus he doesn't know.

He even gave comparative descriptions back then.

So in sum, either he doesn't know anything (like what people said before), or he knows everything. It can not be this way : totally fake before then half true and half fake today.

Last edited:

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
It is not that it will be replicated in many media except technological ones. I agree with the fact that it's a very bad moment to make an announcement of this type and reach a mass audience rather than enthusiasts.
Well yeah but, no ones mad about this news online, seen nothing but positive posts these last couple of hours, same thing that'll happen when the PS5 gets announced.

We can be worried about COVID-19 and get hyped for the PS5 at the same time lol.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
well, 1820Mhz isn't 1825Mhz, so not exactly the figure to the decimal point, right? Do we have anything else he brought to cross information and see his data is accurate? Did he say 13.5GB available for developers? Or maybe that the memory speed is split between 560GB/s and 336GB/s?

edit:
Here he says 1.8Ghz and it doesn't even sound like he is saying that from knowledge:
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT7| - nm

I'm sure he was briefed thoroughly on the choices. What does this matter in the context of next-gen? In 2025 you don't think that'll be behind?
I'd say guessing within 5 kHz is pretty damn good. He said 1.82 GHz on Dec 14.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

RDNA2 was the only other thing he commented on regarding the XSX specs, but this also turned out to be true.

We shall see I guess.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's definitely right, but if we look at every leak and the final XSX GPU config he is the one that predicted it most accurately. But it isn't my job to defend insiders, we can look back and see when the PS5 is revealed.

Team Tommy coming through.

HandsomeJauntyFurseal-size_restricted.gif

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
Well yeah but, no ones mad about this news online, seen nothing but positive posts these last couple of hours, same thing that'll happen when the PS5 gets announced.

We can be worried about COVID-19 and get hyped for the PS5 at the same time lol.

Of course not! And I wouldn't be mad in the least if Sony throws us a few crumbs, lol. But that doesn't mean that it is an optimal time to reveal a console from the point of view of a manufacturer.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
You know that a 13.3/12.15 difference is much less than a 1.84/1.53 or 6/4.2 differences right? So no need to be so dramatic about it. All are winners here.

We won't have 900p-1080p or 1440p-1800p situations like now
A game running at Native 4K 60 FPS with RT on one console will be the same on the other and VRR will help a lot to achieve this.

Last edited:

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDNA2 was the only other thing he commented on regarding the XSX specs, but this also turned out to be true.

We shall see I guess.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's definitely right, but if we look at every leak and the final XSX GPU config he is the one that predicted it most accurately. But it isn't my job to defend insiders, we can look back and see when the PS5 is revealed.

When did he make that claim? Because RDNA2 was announced months ago (along with ~12tf), it was just era skepticism that rejected it

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017

He certainly wasn't the only one

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I'd say guessing within 5 kHz is pretty damn good. He said 1.82 GHz on Dec 14.

We shall see I guess.

When you already know a console will be 12TF, there are very few setups possible. A lot of numbers have been thrown around by a lot of people in Era and Twitter, some of them hit the jackpot because very few options are available, even if you take two figures after the decimal point. I'll need much more than that to call someone an insider over serendipity.

I mean, here, JustAnotherOne is also an insider:

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
You know that a 13.3/12.15 difference is much less than a 1.84/1.53 or 6/4.2 differences right? So no need to be so dramatic about it. All are winners here.

It's also less than a 12.1TF and 9.2TF difference.

It's only a 10% difference - the difference between an Xbox One and Xbox One S, games would be identical, everyone would win.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Of course not! And I wouldn't be mad in the least if Sony throws us a few crumbs, lol. But that doesn't mean that it is an optimal time to reveal a console from the point of view of a manufacturer.
Wait what does revealing the console to the public have to do with the manufacturers? they know the plan set out by Sony on all the schedules on when to mass produce the PS5, if there's a delay then the manufacturer would know about it well before us, Sony revealing the PS5 to us is a win for good news, regardless of when the console comes out.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Github showed 56 active CUs, that is not accurate. It was also one of the things everyone was basing their calculations on, 52CU is quite a surprise to anyone who bought into GitHub.

Maybe Arden was the dev kit with all 56CUs active. I'm not saying GitHub isn't real. I'm saying it didn't predict the final XSX GPU specs as accurately as Tommy, which it true.

Anyway, enough arguing about the likelihood of Tommy predicting the XSX specs. More leaks please.
It was never stated to be active. It was always a more theorical test than the data it had for Oberon and the argument whether or not it was the full chip have been made before. And it was not a prediction. It was hard data from the chip. Incomplete for example we didn't knew whether it was a full chip or not but now we know. And it was dead accurate the full chip is 56cu and even the memory configuration was spot on from what I recall.

And I'm not arguing about Tommy's prediction. I'm arguing that full specs are one extra point for GH leak to be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.