• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The important thing is that the clock rates are variable. From Eurogamer explanation, that means the CPU and the GPU cannot reach peak clocks at the same time.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
LMAO. 9.2 tflops confirmed.

I love how they say its actually 10.3 tflops when we know it will almost never hit the 2.23 ghz clock.

Colbert DukeBlueBall DrKeo I was wrong. you guys were right. github was real. Well played.

Klee, jschreier , BGs , osiris, thanks for giving us false hope for over a year. lmao.

@Team14tflops Time to buy Xbox Series X. 12 rdna 2.0 tflops will do.
My man, I'm grieving with you.

The Cameo

Apr 26, 2018
But what will you put in there? I can't find a 5.5 GB/s SSD on Newegg right now.....

Kingston will be a producer of one, I'm sure. It'll start with vendors who Sony worked with to make this SSD, and over years like every vendor will start making one for PC usage so by the end of the PS5's life you'll be able to grab like a $80 2TB stick or something from anywhere

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Man, the anti-GITHUB crew is nowhere to be seen. Mans disappeared clean into the night!

Now that we specs, the real conversation here isn't TF, it's compute units.

XSX with 52 vs PS5 with 36

That's ... a large gap in compute power. PS5 has some dedicated processors, such as the geometry engine but still ... these two companies seem to have had very different design ideologies.
The Geometry Engine isn't exclusive to PS5, it's been there since Vega IIRC, but RDNA certainly improved upon it.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I love how they say its actually 10.3 tflops when we know it will almost never hit the 2.23 ghz clock.

Colbert DukeBlueBall DrKeo I was wrong. you guys were right. github was real. Well played.

Klee, jschreier , BGs , osiris, thanks for giving us false hope for over a year. lmao.

This is how you accept crow, well done

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017

I know I wasn't as active as the folks you quote, but I will also take the win. :P

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
That was maxed at 2 ghz, so them getting to 2.223 ghz is the biggest difference. The CU count was dead on though.
yes, same CU count
Hol' up

Why does the memory BW Sony is quoting match that of Ariel and not Oberon? IIRC Oberon's was > 500 GB/s.
Oberon had some different spec, up to 530 GB/s
It is 9tf at 2000MHz which is exactly what he said...I am completely convinced this Variable tag has been added to get to 10TF, to make the gap not look as big as it actually is.

MS are being completely clear with 'A sustained gpu and CPU frequency, 24hrs a day to devs'

Not some push on both CPU and GPU, that sony is giving here.

Colbert was absolutely bang on the money, and anyone who doubted him needs to accept that.
Already at Cerny Is A Liar, gotcha.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

Nope I'm PS5 day 1

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
I want to see this Console as soon as possible. Bloomberg is right, they must have a complete other cooling system then anything we saw in any console before.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
kudos to DrKeo, DukeBlueBall, and colbert. sticking with your guns, your inferences and reasoning based on available facts, despite constant ridicule. :bow

We knew nothing, just quoted an official AMD document like monkeys :)

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
yes, same CU count
Oberon had some different spec, up to 530 GB/s

Already at Cerny Is A Liar, gotcha.

He's not lying though. He is saying a game can and will hit 2.23GHz, but it is in no way sustainable with high CPU clocks.

I will make a bet that this console hits 9.2TF more than it hits 10.2tf when running games.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

They didn't give you any false hope.
9.2 Tflops to 12 Tflops is basically a 1800p vs 2160p difference.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

ouch, still hw rt and ~10tf not bad, fake insiders just make us belive in what is impossible ;)

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The reason question now, aside from price is if Klee keeps his word and returns post reveal and how the community reacts.

Hopefully better than what Colbert and others have had to deal with.

Either way, glad it's all out there, still getting both consoles at launch!

Karate Kid

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
BIG props to microsoft everything they have done so far with the reveal and media has been excellent, Sony has been a mess in comparison

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty satisfied with both consoles' specs. Both of them seem like absolute beasts.

But perhaps this will serve as a cautionary tale for the community to be more skeptical of "insiders". Even if their intentions were good, there's a high probability that they have bad or super old info, even if they claim to "have spec sheets".

In the end, it was the Github leak that had the most complete picture (even if we were told to "move past it").

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Github was the SuperDaE hack all along, omg. lol

So now it's tf vs SSD. Will be a wild battle.

Went from a big smile on the SSD part to huh on the cu, gpu, tf part.

If it's not quiet, it wasn't worth it.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Based GitHub leak was right all along.

Fuck the attention seekers, as per usual, clear as day what they were doing.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main argument against the available data, that I remember, was that it would be antithetical to accepted console design to go "narrow and fast", ie pump the clocks to 36CU@2ghz, so it is pretty interesting that they actually went further in that direction w/ [email protected]

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Man, my old jokes about using Cell 2 for ray-tracing in the PS5 but not for PS3 BC has just about come true with Cerny's talk about using an architecture like Cell's SPUs for audio.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Why are some people saying 9.2 TF's? The man himself said for the vast majority of time, the GPU clock won't deviate from 2.23 GHZ.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I'm getting the impression 'boost' is a little misleading. I think they can be sustained, but it depends on workload - and perhaps the CPU and GPU can't hit their max clocks at the same time, but individually.
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm now hoping that DF or somebody is able to test what that means. Like does it keep those clocks 90% of the time, or 50%? Does it drop 5%? 10%? 20%? This is all super important for how developers are able to take advantage.........

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
PS5 day 1 for me. I'm quite impressed with what they put together. Also, they released official specs, so does that mean the competition is officially complete?

Status
Not open for further replies.