• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
No worries, and we have no idea what Sony's plans are on whether or not they're going to delay it, in fact at the end of the loading demo for the xsx it still said "coming holiday 2020" despite the COVID-19 epidemic, i honestly believe that if MS isn't going to have any delays then neither will Sony, god knows Sony doesn't want another repeat of the PS3 launch again, so if Sony is going to release the PS5 as planned in holiday 2020 then i see no problem in them revealing the specs to us just like MS.

I agree that if there is a delay it will be both, and I don't think that is the case. I really hope as much as you do that the specs will be revealed and most of all the PS5 launch games. Possible launch games are what I'm most interested in knowing. Hopefully the wait is not long!

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
I agree that if there is a delay it will be both, and I don't think that is the case. I really hope as much as you do that the specs will be revealed and most of all the PS5 launch games. Possible launch games are what I'm most interested in knowing. Hopefully the wait is not long!
Demon Souls remake on launch or i'll storm into Sonys HQ with an angry letter.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just saw that the xbox one power supply is only 300w. thats 45w less than the ps3 power supply. its higher than the 245w power supply of the one x but we are looking at a 200w console max.

sony can easily target that 200w number.

also, shows how richard was off with his 350w console predictions.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
just saw that the xbox one power supply is only 300w. thats 45w less than the ps3 power supply. its higher than the 245w power supply of the one x but we are looking at a 200w console max.

Or maybe they're just packing a more efficient power supply, so they can have a lower overhead.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
The games are the bigger doubt in my mind rather than the consoles in terms of delays.

China is back online so they can make the boxes, but the western world is facing lock downs and all the rest of it and whilst many can work from home there will unquestionably be a lot of lost hours.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Some were saying that 2 years .
That we looking at another 360\PS3 gen in terms of thermals .

Nov 20, 2019
In engine is not very good indicator as image quality can be increased well beyond what is plausible with interactive framerate.
Simple use of accumulation buffer and most image quality and post effect problems are gone. (AA, DoF and motion blur.)
He mentions the hellblade trailer in this new feature around the 16 minute mark.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
One big thing we have to consider with the coronavirus outbreak and manufacturing is that, even though things seem to be under control and getting better right now, we have no vaccines, not enough people are immune for herd immunity to be a thing. It's just a matter of time until there's another outbreak and yet another round of lockdowns.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
GitHub always showed active CUs, 36 for Oberon and 56 for Arden.
I really don't think so. It was widely speculated, yeah but not as precise as the Oberon tests.

From DF:

If the leak is remarkably specific about the PlayStation 5's basic GPU specification, where does this leave Xbox Series X? As we understand it, the documents consist of fragments from a much larger data set that we don't get to see.

There is mention of a processor referred to as Arden, which is a highly likely candidate for Xbox Series X silicon. However, there is nowhere near as much testing done on this - or the data simply isn't up to date enough to include Arden validation testing of any note

However, the documentation for both processors is very different and can't be directly compared. A lot of AMD's validation testing for the PS5 'Oberon' processor is in the leak, whereas the Series X data is best described as somewhat patchy by comparison.

With caveats in place, the sparse data in the leak includes mention of 3584 shaders, which would translate to a frankly ginormous processor with 56 active compute units. There is no sign of clock-speeds in the data

It's clear Arden data is no where near comprehensive as ps5's one, not where does it fully states all 56 CUs are active like it does for ps5.

Oh and also:

The AMD leak does seem to confirm memory bandwidth for the Arden chip at 560GB/s.

So in conclusion the full spec reveal is another very damming evidence that GH was spot on despite being incomplete data.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think so. It was widely speculated, yeah but not as precise as the Oberon tests.
It's clear Arden data is no where near comprehensive as ps5's one, not where does it fully states all 56 CUs are active like it does for ps5.
Oh and also:
So in conclusion the full spec reveal is another very damming evidence that GH was spot on despite being incomplete data.
You quoted it yourself. It lists the number of active shader units. That is how the number of active CU is determined. Same exact story for the Oberon tests.

Worst thing about GitHub? Still using python 2.7 lmao

~Millet~

Jan 21, 2019
User Warned: Metacommentary
Finally the people who harassed Klee has gone. Also Transistor is ruling over here. I hope this help to bring Klee back.

Feb 8, 2018
For anyone who had just planned to purchase the PS5 has this XSX reveal made you consider getting the XSX as well?

not really even with owning few 360 copies that would benefit from the hardware but because the info is very convincing the likeliness is slightly higher than normal. In the end I don't see myself owning 2 potentially similar consoles and switching between them to play the visually strongest version of a game. I expect both systems to be in the same ballpark anyway.

Last edited:

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Ehh, PS3 vs 360 was basically a wash.

The PS3 Cell CPU could do GPU-like stuff, but it functioned worse than the Xenon when it came to traditional CPU tasks. Not to mention the PS3's weaker GPU and inferior RAM setup. You had to do a ton of extra work to get the Cell to perform like the Xenon, then you had to do additional work to have the Cell pick up the slack for the weak GPU.

You could do some unique things with the Cell (Uncharted 3's ship physics), but I wouldn't say that the 360 was weaker. Look at the Bethesda save system controversy for an example where the 360 had a clear hardware advantage.
PS3 was in some way like the Atari Jaguar. Both claimed to have extraordinary power but both featured very weak CPU and were very difficult to work on.

Last edited:

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
Man i bet Series X is gonna be 699. And it would still be a steal. Series X might be 399. MS would shock the gaming world even more if they manage to come under those prizes.

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
The games are the bigger doubt in my mind rather than the consoles in terms of delays.

China is back online so they can make the boxes, but the western world is facing lock downs and all the rest of it and whilst many can work from home there will unquestionably be a lot of lost hours.

Yes, it's something I've been thinking about. Hopefully this nightmare will pass soon.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
GitHub always showed active CUs, 36 for Oberon and 56 for Arden.

From DF:

Oh and also:

You quoted it yourself. It lists the number of active shader units. That is how the number of active CU is determined. Same exact story for the Oberon tests.

Worst thing about GitHub? Still using python 2.7 lmao
I don't think it really matters in MS's case because they have a history of activating the whole chip for the development kit. For instance, the One X has 44/44 active CUs in the dev kit but 40/44 in the final console. This one is on us, the Github speculators, who didn't think of the option that 56 active CUs could be the dev-kit and the final machine will have 52 CUs. It's our bad, but understandable considering the Github leak didn't have TF count or clock speed.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Sony does state of play for PS5 news.
Shows logo again.
Announces preorders open.
$399 price.
Video ends.

tenor.gif

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Code:
#can be cmodel, FunctionOnly or regression
RunType = cmodel

#tserver code tree related.
TserverTreePath = /home/withheld/ariel/oberon-cmodel_bc1-build/oberon_a0-x86_64-linux-dbg-lite

#target file
CSVFile = oberonA0_regression_result_BC1.xlsm

giphy.gif

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Yes, it's something I've been thinking about. Hopefully this nightmare will pass soon.
With things slowing down for a month or so (could be more) I dont think it would be out of the norm to delay the release until spring 2021 for both systems.

Like some people will not be paid if they have to take 4 weeks off or something. That leaves people with less money and more bills to deal with. I think this holiday shopping season will not be as hectic as it usually is, specially with fear of the virus reemerging or something like that.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For anyone who had just planned to purchase the PS5 has this XSX reveal made you consider getting the XSX as well?

tbh hardware has never been something that convinces me to buy a console. It's the games. And as long as MS continue to cling onto franchises i lost interest in years ago, the answer will be no.

As has been the case for this entire generation, they really need to bring the games. Maybe when they reach that portion of their PR reveal strategy I'll change my mind.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Why would Sony show anything now? Xbox just did a big reveal and it didn't even make a splash on social media due to everyone talking about the damn virus. I think it's highly unlikely we'll hear about the PS5 for a few weeks at least, until people are bored of talking about the pandemic (and other things, such as the primary, are done)

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
We got prices for the LG OLEDs posted in a separate thread:

Official US prices from LG press release:

2020 LG OLED 4K TV

GX "Gallery" Series

OLED77GXPUA
77-inch class (76.7 inches diagonal)
$5,999
Available April 2020

OLED65GXPUA
65-inch class (64.5 inches diagonal)
$3,499
Available April 2020

OLED55GXPUA
55-inch class (54.6 inches diagonal)
$2,499
Available April 2020

BX Series

OLED65BXPUA
$2,299
Available May 2020

OLED55BXPUA
55-inch class
$1,599
Available May 2020

CX Series

OLED77CXPUA
$4,999
Available May 2020

OLED65CXPUA
$2,799
Available April 2020

OLED55CXPUA
55-inch class (54.6 inches diagonal)
$1,799
Available March 2020

OLED48CXPUB
48-inch class (47.5 inches diagonal
$1,499
Available June 2020

WX "Wallpaper"

OLED65WXPUA
$4,999
June 2020

2020 LG OLED SIGNATURE 8K TVs

ZX "Real 8K" Series

OLED88ZXPUA
88-inch class (87.6 inches diagonal)
$29,999
Available May 2020

OLED77ZXPUA
$19,999
Available May 2020

EDIT: Source https://markets.businessinsider.com...ins-rollout-of-2020-oled-tv-lineup-1029001150

Deliciously cheap, imagine the sale prices.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol nope, they have impressive tech but it's all about the games for me. Microsoft's offerings are rarely to my liking so I'd need to see something changing on that front, a couple impressive kick ass platformers might do the trick... I am sick and tired of shooty bang bangs.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

From DF:

Oh and also:

Did you read what you posted?

OT: I do feel Sony needs to talk about something whether that is FF7, TLOU2 or PS5. Last big Sony story is ND and crunch and cancelling shows. The show thing is understandable but what I'm saying is there hasn't been a big positive story from Sony yet this year. MS and Nintendo are both planning events for this week hoping Sony had something planned as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.