• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

argam

Feb 1, 2020
I enjoyed the presentation. TF are important of course, but there are other things and I really like their SSD approach and 3D audio.
I will most likely buy the PS5.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is exactly what i was expecting from this presentation, so i'm not disappointed nor positively surprised.

Honestly, nothing about this console sounds exciting so far, weaker specs than its competiton and not even full Ps4 BC at launch sound like a bummer.

Waiting for games to be shown.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
Props to you and Colbert for sticking to your guns. I've always said that 36 CU's was possible, regardless of Github or not. I'm curious whether you think a 2.23 GHZ variable clock speed was Sony's original plan or did they get surprised by MS's plans and decided they had to go for much higher clocks.
Yep. Colbert knew the whole time it seems. And now he's banned. Hopefully he's let back in sooner than later.

Hell, Colberts twitter poems were spot on. He's the insider we all need.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
I don't doubt that Cerny is a genius, but I think they may have made some wrong moves here:

- The SSD sounds amazing, but I think something more standard may have been a better play
- Variable freq for CPU and GPU means that 10.3TF is best case scenario
- Overinvested in 3d audio

I think MS did it better. I'm saddened.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
This is really weird...2.23 Ghz...that is insane.

That's literally over 500 Mhz higher than the XSX GPU. That will lead to big advantage in all those other aspects of GPU processing outside of the ALUs. This is why 10.3 vs. 12.1 is not really a good measure of performance. If I had to guess, they will perform probably essentially the same in the real world.
About 400 Mhz, 2.23 vs 1.825

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
He said only in rare instances would clock speed have to be dropped 10%. Are you saying that's a lie?

so dropping by 10 percent puts us at 2000mhz...9.2tf...I'm sure he knows the hardware better than me. So i'll leave it at that. People are free to think what they want, but it's Sony that are covering themselves here not me.

I've never seen a GPU near 2.25GHz.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt that Cerny is a genius, but I think they may have made some wrong moves here:

- The SSD sounds amazing, but I think something more standard may have been a better play
- Variable freq for CPU and GPU means that 10.3TF is best case scenario
- Overinvested in 3d audio

I think MS did it better. I'm saddened.

the thing is... MS is doing all the 3D audio stuff too. It comes absolutely for free because of their RT accelerator and audio block.

They just weren't jumping up and down going look at this! LOOK AT IT!

VivekTO

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If they priced it right i think than its an overall balanced machine. but i don't think that would be the case.(I expecting 499, but 399 would be great)

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Matt is the real winner in all of this.

The most common assumptions made about the GitHub leaks (teraflops and frequency) really didn't tell the whole story of the final performance.

Everybody wins, the GitHub folks and the folks who wanted higher performance.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Dissapointed that they went narrow and fast Im afraid this will be another jet engine.
He went over raytracing fast, I suspect MS is alot stronger there too?
Went from pre-order to w8 or maybe just w8 for Pro version.
There bc problems don't fill me with confidence about the future of there console designs either.

Ateron

Oct 30, 2017
Why did they wait this long just to tell us this? If you have an inferior product you want to get it out of the way first, preferably with some tech demos to soften the blow. They let MS go first, wow everyone and two days later they think this is a good strategy? I'm beyond pissed, so much for insiders from now on. We will hear from none, as usual.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
So, none of what was revealed today speaks of whatever gimmick is still to be revealed, right?

Oct 27, 2017
The system was always meant to run hot.
What are your thoughts on how narrow and faster vs broad and slower will translate into performance? Is there situations where a higher clocked 36 CU GPU will outperform a 52 CU lower clocked one, especially when the disparity is in the order of 400+ Mhz? Or will that never be the case.

It just seems in this situation, the 10.3 TF vs 12.1 TF numbers aren't quite as clear cut of an indicator of performance as they have been in the past.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Lol GitHub was it, it just ended up being clocked higher than tested.

Cpu
8% faster xbox

Gpu
15% faster xbox

Ssd
2.3x faster ps5

Ram
Both have 16GB GDDR6

Xbox
10GB 576
6GB 336

PS5
Still unknown(?)

BC
Xbox
Every game works on xbox from day 1

PS5
Every game will work eventually, but expect the top 100 at launch(?)
Cerny showed 16 GB GDDR6, I didn't catch the speed.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
LMAO. 9.2 tflops confirmed.

I love how they say its actually 10.3 tflops when we know it will almost never hit the 2.23 ghz clock.

Colbert DukeBlueBall DrKeo I was wrong. you guys were right. github was real. Well played.

Klee, jschreier , BGs , osiris, thanks for giving us false hope for over a year. lmao.

@Team14tflops Time to buy Xbox Series X. 12 rdna 2.0 tflops will do.

A lot of you should probably take accountability for who's word you decide to take and your reaction to things like this instead of having pathetic meltdowns like this.

When it comes to speculation, question everything.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Already posted in the other live thread, but my view. As a Playstation fan, the specs read a little disappointing. Effectively it's weaker than the XSX in all areas except SSD speeds. I would have been happy with the rumoured 11.2 / 11.6 TF from a week back, but it's not just the GPU TF count. RAM speeds are slower, SSD storage is strangely smaller and CPU clocks too, RT was sort of glossed over and we don't know a great deal on BC.

Effectively the XSX will likely have the better gaming experience in terms of framerate and resolution etc. With the difference in power, there is most certainly going to be differences in multiplat titles which makes me feel like i need to look at investing in an XSX then.

Deleted member 63832

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 14, 2020
Now I just need the price, but I'm leaning towards getting this at launch or within a year of launch.

Really hope we get to see some of the games soon too!

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
jason said they were aiming to beat stadia number. 9.2 is not even close to that. 10.3 is basically never going to happen in game.

klee said ps5 specs were higher.

BGs and osiris were 12+ tflops.
Jason said in Splitscreen a few months ago that the 10.7TF comment was a guess, not from knowledge, but I was too lazy to dig that up. And hey, he was right, PS5 wipes the floor with Stadia.

Props to you and Colbert for sticking to your guns. I've always said that 36 CU's was possible, regardless of Github or not. I'm curious whether you think a 2.23 GHZ variable clock speed was Sony's original plan or did they get surprised by MS's plans and decided they had to go for much higher clocks.
This was my guess months ago when people said "2Ghz doesn't make any sense" and it's still what I think right now. Sony had already designed a 36 CU chip, probably because of BC limitations and a 399$ goal, but at some point Sony found out MS is going for 12TF. No one is redesigning their APU in early 2019 when the console is aiming to launch at the end of 2020, so all they could do was stepping in order to raise the clocks. And we even saw the process with Gonzalo (Ariel A0?) @1.8Ghz, Flute + Github (Oberon B0) with 2Ghz and now the final PS5 with 2.23Ghz. That's probably at least one stepping out of the extra 3 stepping Sony had from Oberon B0 to E0.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
My first prediction for PS5 Pro:

CPU: 8c/16t max freq 4.0 GHz
GPU: 21.7 TF, 72CU, max freq 2300 MHz
RAM: 20-24 GB, 640 - 816 GB/s
SSD: 2 TB at 6.0 GB/s (raw)
Launch 2023 or 2024

ok see you in 2023 end of year ! Waiting for PS5 Pro, i'll still keeping my PS4 for a moment i think...

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LMAO. 9.2 tflops confirmed.

I love how they say its actually 10.3 tflops when we know it will almost never hit the 2.23 ghz clock.

Colbert DukeBlueBall DrKeo I was wrong. you guys were right. github was real. Well played.

Klee, jschreier , BGs , osiris, thanks for giving us false hope for over a year. lmao.

@Team14tflops Time to buy Xbox Series X. 12 rdna 2.0 tflops will do.
This is one of the rare moments on Era, thank you for that. I expect you are one of the only ones that will stand corrected in hindsight.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Well folks, it's been a hell of a ride. Thanks to all of you for participating in this living nightmare, and a big thanks to Mecha Meister for keeping the show running. Let's take the conversation over to the PS5 spec threads. I'll be putting new info and announce the contest winners in those threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.