• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
No, Sony's PlayStation 5 won't use expandable SSD cartridges. The cartridge patent wasn't for PlayStation hardware, but instead for Sony's line of Toio kids toys. Just as we warned, those purported PS5 cartridge patents aren't for the PlayStation 5 at all. The tiny cartridges are used by Sony's family-friendly Toio gaming system that's designed for kids, not an enthusiast-grade next-gen console designed for a mass-market audience of gamers.

Sony published a new Toio video on November 11 that showed the new cartridges. The previous Toio systems used a different cartridge--the older USB dongle-esque design that also caused a tizzy in the gaming sphere.

Source

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't read up on this much but was the scare that they were gonna be exorbitantly expensive proprietary memory cards for the Ps5 like the Vita had?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Ha! That never made much sense to me, if PS5 supports anything external it would probably eventually just be USB mass storage.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
yo

real life precise driving simulation?!?

i want this toy

Feb 10, 2018
That's a shame because I don't think usb3 will cut it for external ssd speeds.
A proprietary solution like this is probably the only way to get the same speeds as the internal ssd.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Interestingly, Sony does not sell or have patent related to Toio in Brazil. But those cartridges for some reason were registered/patented in the Brazilian patent organ.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Good. Proprietary storage would have been a terrible idea. Bring on the PS5
We know PS5 has proprietary storage regardless.

At least, you won't be running games directly off a non-Sony drive based on what Cerny has said so far about the PS5's SSD being unique and custom built - and games being built around that.

Of course you could still store games on a standard drive and copy them over, but that was never in question.

The question now is if not cartridges, how might we be able to expand the SSD storage of PS5.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
this is cute and kind of cool... is this coming to the US ever? My nieces and nephews would get such a kick out of it all.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well well well..
So, that blindsided the lot of us..
I jist would like a 2TB SSD please, would pay alot more for premium.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

At least, you won't be running games directly off a non-Sony drive based on what Cerny has said so far about the PS5's SSD being unique and custom built - and games being built around that.

Of course you could still store games on a standard drive and copy them over, but that was never in question.

The question now is if not cartridges, how might we be able to expand the SSD storage of PS5.

that or Cerny was being braggadocious and it's just a SSD over PCIE 4.0 with the PCIE4.0 board having custom hardware/firmware to handle starting games as soon as a certain portion of the data is installed. Think fast decompression on the PCIE4.0 bus itself(which would align with uncompressed assets being slower. Taking the time to compress would take advantage of hardware decompresssion while uncompressed would soak up bandwidth).

I mean this guy called the PS4 a supercharged PC even though PC was beating PS4 easily with a 750ti.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Eh in theory it would have probably worked, but yeah the stigma of proprietary memory card solutions still remains. It would be like pricing the console at $599, even if it was actually worth it

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everysite who published bullshit should catch a ban lol.

If I knew it was bullshit (and I told everyone it was for toio) they have no excuse.

Pure click farming cunts.

OP
OP
Deeke

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States

Im wondering if the actual hardware is unique, or if the solution itself (hardware+software) is unique. Dying to know what's inside, especially after moving to an SSD on my PC recently.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Im wondering if the actual hardware is unique, or if the solution itself (hardware+software) is unique. Dying to know what's inside, especially after moving to an SSD on my PC recently.
The flash chips on the storage itself almost certainly WON'T be, but the controller attached might be a little more custom than just a rebadged PCI-E 4.0 NVME SSD. Either way, I'm not expecting the storage to be directly user-serviceable this time around. I think the best we can hope for is having an attached SATA 3.0 HDD/SSD where backups of games will live, and then the console will pull files over intelligently to let us start playing ASAP while it copies the rest of the files over in the background (much like how game downloads are supposed to work now). For games not installed directly to the SSD of course.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
That's a shame because I don't think usb3 will cut it for external ssd speeds.
A proprietary solution like this is probably the only way to get the same speeds as the internal ssd.

They could easily just include an M.2 slot. Based on how they handled PS3 and PS4 storage, there's no reason why they won't continue with some kind of standardized expandable storage solution.

Feb 10, 2018
They could easily just include an M.2 slot. Based on how they handled PS3 and PS4 storage, there's no reason why they won't continue with some kind of standardized expandable storage solution.
But consumer ssd's are probably not as fast as sony's nand chips soldered directly on the motherboard and all the other tweaks and optimisations Sony has dony.
Cerny said PS5 ssd is better then anything on the PC market.

Nov 8, 2017
But consumer ssd's are probably not as fast as sony's nand chips soldered directly on the motherboard and all the other tweaks and optimisations Sony has dony.
Cerny said PS5 ssd is better then anything on the PC market.

He said better than what was available at the time of his making that statement. Critically, that was months prior to the release of PCI gen 4 SSDs. Only time will tell if commercial SSDs available in 2020 will match the PS5's spec.

I could see the PS5 rejecting slow storage if you tried to install it.

Feb 10, 2018
He said better than what was available at the time of his making that statement. Critically, that was months prior to the release of PCI gen 4 SSDs. Only time will tell if commercial SSDs available in 2020 will match the PS5's spec.

I could see the PS5 rejecting slow storage if you tried to install it.

I hope when the console rejects slow ssd's it will spit them back out and make a puking noise.

Jun 23, 2019
LOL, but everyone said they were going to be proprietary SSD carts that Sony was going to charge an arm and a leg for and that it was another sign that Jim Ryan had lost the plot with the company!?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
So the Toio is actually the new ps5 prototype and they don't want us to know.

Nice try, Sony.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
This memory card patent was filed in Brazil. The Taio product is not and will not launch in Brazil.

The OP's conclusion is incorrect, as it's merely based on the coincidental fact that Taio cartridges also have a 12 pin connection interface. That doesn't really prove anything, as so do some SD memory cards.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
LOL, but everyone said they were going to be proprietary SSD carts that Sony was going to charge an arm and a leg for and that it was another sign that Jim Ryan had lost the plot with the company!?
The stars just simply aligned for people to believe into this.
Sony touting how SSDs will change next-gen games.
Sony saying that their SSDs are some proprietary tech that is better than anything else on the market.
Sonys history with proprietary storage tech.
Hype around the Spiderman SSD demo making people think that next-gen games will require SSDs.
PS5 being only a year away from release.

So yeah can you really blame people for thinking that this would be the next Sony storage solution?

Jun 23, 2019
The stars just simply aligned for people to believe into this.
Sony touting how SSDs will change next-gen games.
Sony saying that their SSDs are some proprietary tech that is better than anything else on the market.
Sonys history with proprietary storage tech.
Hype around the Spiderman SSD demo making people think that next-gen games will require SSDs.
PS5 being only a year away from release.

So yeah can you really blame people for thinking that this would be the next Sony storage solution?

Yes. Yes I can blame people for being dumb lol.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This memory card patent was filed in Brazil. The Taio product is not and will not launch in Brazil.

The OP's conclusion is incorrect, as it's merely based on the coincidental fact that Taio cartridges also have a 12 pin connection interface. That doesn't really prove anything, as so do some SD memory cards.
unknown.png

this matches the design of the patent, it was for Toio.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018