• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Like a dripping faucet, little by little, we're starting to get a handle on the technical specification of Sony's next-generation console, the PS5. Perhaps the most persistent of these leaks regarding the machine is that of the mysterious cartridge patent that we reported on just last week – the train of thought being that the cartridge might represent additional storage for the PS5 (which is expected to be ship with a 1TB SSD drive).

However, it wasn't long before the patent was updated, revealing an updated pin layout (12 pins) that would make the cartridge unsuitable for a SATA connection, and thus, not able to function as expanded storage for Sony's upcoming PlayStation 5 console.

sony-ssd-memory-ps5.jpg

Though the 12 pin layout would seem to rule out a traditional SATA connection, Sony has updated its patent on the cartridge, specifically stipulating that this cartridge would be used by an undisclosed piece of hardware as a storage device. The plot thickens!

So indeed it would seem that this patented cartridge device is intended to be some sort of additional storage, and with the PS5's likely 1TB SSD (or even 2TB SSD) drive to be filled quite quickly by the bigger PS5 games that will come along (don't forget PS5 titles will ship on 100GB Blu Ray discs, while the PS5 OS will take up a chunk of that in-built storage to begin with), it would seem prudent to us that Sony would want to ship additional storage as an optional purchase with the machine when it launches late next year.

Source

-

So, how y'all feel about this potential storage solution? Vita nightmares? Or maybe Sony will be more reasonable this go round.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Maybe games will come on individual SSDs and vary in price based on size like SNES carts. $140 for that 512gb FFVII cart lol

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Hoping for the best, but that doesn't seem ideal. I want to have like 4tb storage, since my 1tb ps4 pro got filled so quickly.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I don't get why Sony would do this. Surely it'd cost a metric ton to make console-only expandable memory. I mean they make their own storage, but still..

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Why am I having Vita Storage flashbacks and the ridiculous prices Sony was charging? I hope this is not a repeat of that. Please Sony, don't do this to us again.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
SONY. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. STOP IT.

Oh, unless this is for a Toio-like thing and is unrelated to the PS5. Then whatever.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
New management new ideas, don't forget the management that made the PS4 a success isn't all there at Sony now.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Well PS5 is rumored to have a proprietary internal storage so this would fit right in. Also people will gobble this up since PS5 is most likely to sell just as well as PS4

Feb 10, 2018
I don't know how I feel about this, if the PS5 comes with it's super fast ssd of 1TB, and these proprietary ssd cards enable the same speed and functional as the internal ssd that is a good thing but only if they are well priced.
Have 1tb as main and the ability to use a slower external ssd would not be to bad.

It all depends on the cost.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
If it's true that the PS5 SSD is faster than any thing out there and uses a proprietary method to do it - than it's understandable.

The system will probably come with some base storage so I'm not too worried

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm all for it. 1tb is already a lot for an SSD (alongside those mentions of games being smaller because they don't need to replicate assets), and I won't say no to an easy way to upgrade storage capabilities.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. We have a 1TB internal SSD, and the games come on a disc. Why the hell do we need a cartridge? Just let us plug in a portable HDD to store our 'inactive' games on.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I don't know how I feel about this, if the PS5 comes with it's super fast ssd of 1TB, and these proprietary ssd cards enable the same speed and functional as the internal ssd that is a good thing but only if they are well priced.
Have 1tb as main and the ability to use a slower external ssd would not be to bad.

It all depends on the cost.

I think Sony wants to eliminate slow loading all together with this. Seeing how if this new internal storage is fast as people think it is a external SSD is just to slow

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Sony please, your track record with proprietary memory is a horror story. Why do you insist.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
The key point is: if this is an expandable option - I'm cool with it.

I really doubt Sony is going to arbitrarily force every customer to buy an expansion SSD.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
How would people react if there was no Expandable Storage of any kind? Only more expensive models with more space (2tb, 4tb and so on).
Because it seems like they already said that PS5 will not have a "normal" SSD like what we have on PCs today.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
It's not anything like the Vita though since it will have in built storage. If you manage it you would never need something like this.

SSDs are high, and I can't imagine the ones included will be any more than 500GBs, and if games sizes continue to grow that amount of drive space will be NOTHING.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I already have 3 1TB SSDs in my computer and they are getting full. Hopefully this is just a kit that can plug in a third party ssd you can buy off of newegg or amazon.

1tb is not enough storage at all unless you like to delete and redownload games often.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't really comparable to the PS Vita situation. Right now, there is no SSD form factor with PCIe 4.0 speeds that is suitable for consumers to change. There is just this:

ssde8jyx.jpg

You can't expect average consumers to handle an upgrade with something like this. That's why Sony probably had to develop a proprietary standard for user-changeable storage. Also, because the PS5 SSD is likely cutting edge stuff, there will be very strict requirements regarding performance and cooling.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
I'm all for proprietary tech in consoles, so sick of new generations just being a beefed up PC all for the sake of multi-platforms.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't really comparable to the PS Vita situation. Right now, there is no SSD form factor with PCIe 4.0 speeds that is suitable for consumers to change. There is just this:

ssde8jyx.jpg

You can't expect average consumers to handle an upgrade with something like this. That's why Sony basically had to develop a proprietary standard for user-changeable storage. Also, because the PS5 SSD is likely cutting edge stuff, there will be very strict requirements regarding performance and cooling.
average customers ain't going to swap out SSD

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
That's a cartridge and I'm 99% sure it's not for PS5. Just because it's filed by SIE doesn't mean it is. Wasn't that Toio patent filed by them too?
Remember this?

Yes, but the cartridge was also registered in Brazil, where Sony never released any kind of toy like Toio. And if I'm not mistaken, the cartridge patent was filed by the same guy who registered the PS5 devkit.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

ssde8jyx.jpg

You can't expect average consumers to handle an upgrade with something like this. That's why Sony probably had to develop a proprietary standard for user-changeable storage. Also, because the PS5 SSD is likely cutting edge stuff, there will be very strict requirements regarding performance and cooling.

Pretty much.

I expected this to happen as soon as Sony started talking about its custom PCIe 4.0 (or whatever) storage for the PS5. SATA is too slow for whatever Sony is designing, and PCIe drives are connected straight to the motherboard. Sony probably wasn't gonna let customers connect an off-the-shelf PCIe EVO straight to the PS5's motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.