Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Sony Corp. is preparing to open up its PlayStation 5 for internal storage upgrades this summer, lifting a bottleneck that prevents gamers from having more than a few marquee games on their console at one time, people briefed on the plan said.

Adding support for additional drives will be enabled with a firmware update that also unlocks higher cooling-fan speeds to ensure the console doesn't overheat, the people said, asking not to be named because the plans are not yet public.

Edited in the English article.

Last edited:

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
That's great news! I hope they'll work on cold storage as well. That would be enough for me.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
So the problem with the expansion storage right now is that PS5 could not handle the additional heat generated by the ssd. That's interesting

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking finally!

So the problem with the expansion storage right now is that PS5 could not handle the additional heat generated by the ssd. That's interesting

And kind of terrifying, since it's already quite a large package. You'd think they would have considered this further?
Microsoft deserves props for how they solved this problem. Despite being proprietary, it just works and it is super easy.

Not happy with the fan having to spin up. I like my quiet PS5. This sorta blows.. why did they ship PS5 with only 600GB available?
Just let us use cold storage Sony, FFS.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Also if I remember correctly, m2 drives that met the speed requirement didn't hit retail until last month. I'm betting they're still testing those, too.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
The whole thing seems like a fail. How the hell did they not properly plan for the heat generated by an expansion drive?

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
There were m.2's that met the spec out in retail before the PS5 even launched.

From what I could find when people were talking about that, there was a single drive that barely met the speed requirement and was found to be too large for the slot...but now I can't find the article that talked about trying to install it, so ignore me.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
So more fan noise for ssd expansion? Definitely won't expand in that case. Was finally happy with quiet consoles.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Bruh my PS5 fan is already noisy right now. Hope they don't increase the revs.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Also if I remember correctly, m2 drives that met the speed requirement didn't hit retail until last month. I'm betting they're still testing those, too.

Exactly.

Apparently the cause for them not being certified was the fans not being able to cool them. The firmware update to the fans to ramp them up will fix that thou.

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
Considering how quiet the PS5 is, I'd take the slight noise increase. There's no way it will be louder than my old PS4 (or my old PS3 for that matter).

The Bad Guy

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to cost an arm and a leg. No other option's for early adopter, which is a shame. Even then only for addition 1TB, which wont be enough at all.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
FInally, but I can see this going badly.. More heat and noise? Hmm.

I guess it is literally pop off the side panel and the slot is there. No air flow.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Hopefully the increase in fan noise isnt substantial.

Kind of crazy the console launched without the ability to store PS5 games on an external drive.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I think it's more likely the SSD that is overheating in the confined space. The newer SSD probably needs to have better cooling + fan spin increase.

I'm hoping more for better cold storage support though. Just having the ability to offload PS5 games to an external would be great.

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
Hold the fuck on, fan boost?
tenor.gif

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not if you got a NIDEC fan on it, those are noisy out of the box. Not PS4Pro noisy, but high pitched annoying noisy.

If you got a DELTA or NMB fan then yeah, shit's silent.

I feel NIDEC users are going to get screwed, but we'll see.

I didn't realize there was a hardware lottery with PS5.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
From what I could find when people were talking about that, there was a single drive that barely met the speed requirement and was found to be too large for the slot...but now I can't find the article that talked about trying to install it, so ignore me.
Sony recommended PCIE gen 4 m.2s, of which there were two before the console came out: Sabrent and Samsung. And none of them would've been too large since the PS5 fits all of the m.2 SSD lengths.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if this fan boost update to enable the m.2 slot will also come with the per-game fan boost Sony mentioned a while back.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
My PS5 is essentially noiseless. A bit of a fan increase should be fine. Hopefully lol

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
If it makes it noisy, my storage expansion solution is going to be to buy a Series X to sit alongside the PS5.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
From the looks of it you can fit a small heatsink on the PS5 slot. Wonder if you'd be better just putting a thermal strip on it and letting hte fan do the rest. Or will they sell a specialized heatsink for it.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting to note that m.2 slot doesn't really have any vents and with metal cover installed it's pretty much sealed. I guess Sony will recommend not to use cover if you have expansion installed? Overwise I'm not seeing how increased fan speed will do much good with this slot design.

S1ghtLT.jpg

xWp7uLi.jpg

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
wait what? That reads not like 'we were waiting for m2s to be the right speed' but more like 'we messed up the design so it has inadequate cooling and we need to turn the fan up? Thats a bit messed up

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
It's not if you got a NIDEC fan on it, those are noisy out of the box. Not PS4Pro noisy, but high pitched annoying noisy.

If you got a DELTA or NMB fan then yeah, shit's silent.

I feel NIDEC users are going to get screwed, but we'll see.
I had an NMB and it was not quiet at all.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
wait what? That reads not like 'we were waiting for m2s to be the right speed' but more like 'we messed up the design so it has inadequate cooling and we need to turn the fan up? Thats a bit messed up

The same company that puts a fan than can't be property seated inside the console, thus needing to be elevated with o-rings (and tinkering with the screws) to make it less noisy.

Add the coil whine stuff. And this.

I love my PS5 but the quality check of this console is so bad.

Unfortunately it seems like I have a NIDEC fan

/hug

I had an NMB and it was not quiet at all.

Surprising, all I reports I saw said it was the most silent, maybe it was a defective one?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
wow, thats quite the hardware design oversight honestly. And the slot doesnt seem like its gonna get much cooling from the fan anyway.
I guess this is one definite thing a hardware revisions gonna change