• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Thanks to Thiago who posted this on the OT, and the original source who noticed this(https://twitter.com/Zuby_Tech/status/1313868793022754816/photo/1)
I think this is threadworthy(if any mod disagree, please lock).

We already know that Sony will support any third party SSD as long as it have the necessary speed, but now after the Teardown video we maybe also know what sizes it will support.
I don't know what are the implications of this choice, but I assume this will be good on the long run.

And I used the rumor tag since this is not confirmed yet.
EjvLxW_X0AEWgrb

EjvLvRQWkAAkeBf

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
good luck buying any size but a 2280 especially at good prices (smaller drives cost more). all those other sizes are mainly oem drives

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there's room for an M.2 SSD heatsink in there as well?

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
If you can just throw a $100 1TB 3000MB/s read 2000MB/s write PCIE3 stick in there that will work fine for everything but exclusives that would be really nice.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
I'm super curious. So I know you need a super fast ssd to play ps5 games on . I'm wondering if they will allow slower ssds to store games or play PS4 games like you can do with usb hard drives. Would allow a much much faster speed to move games from it to the onboard ssd and are a lot cheaper.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you can just throw a $100 1TB 3000MB/s read 2000MB/s write PCIE3 stick in there that will work fine for everything but exclusives that would be really nice.
3GB/s is awfully slow for PS5.

Cerny said in March they should at least match the 5.5 GB/s of Sony's SSD.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm super curious. So I know you need a super fast ssd to play ps5 games on . I'm wondering if they will allow slower ssds to store games or play PS4 games like you can do with usb hard drives. Would allow a much much faster speed to move games from it to the onboard ssd and are a lot cheaper.

Probably not, since they want to communicate that the internal slot is exclusively for very fast NVMe drives that fit their spec. Letting users stick whatever they want in there would just add up to the confusion. Maybe they'll just flash bright red loud letters that say YOU CAN'T USE THIS FOR PS5 GAMES if you do it and still let you use it, but honestly it'd just be a hassle.

It's easy enough to use an external USB SSD which should be enough for PS4 games if what we've seen from XSX is any indication.

Last edited:

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We already know that Sony will support any third party SSD as long as it have the necessary speed,
I thought it was SSD models that Sony specifically whitelisted? (the reasoning being to validate that the supported SSDs are fast enough, but given Sony's past whitelisting efforts I don't think it's safe to assume any sufficiently fast third party SSD will work)

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I know we (ERA) has a tendency of beating and bastardizing terms to death, but this is literally pro-consumer. This gives users a ton of flexibility in physical size, storage size, price, and manufacturer options.

Nov 8, 2017
Even if you can't buy those other sizes it's great that it's an option. Hell, I've been pulling SSD's out of old laptops and have repurposed them for other things and down the road, who knows, I might end up pulling an OEM drive out of some device and turning it into additional storage in my PS5. Not that it's likely they'll be fast enough but options are still good to have.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

This is a good question.

The pessimist in me would say they won't, and are only offering the compatibility with smaller SSD's because they assume in the future there will be a lot more qualified SSD's out there of various sizes once the tech is more commonplace.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sensible and forward thinking - doubt anything but 2280 will be the easiest to get and likely the fastest/value compromise to suit everyone...

ps3ud0 8)

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Doubt it, because of the way it integrates with the internal SSD. An external SSD would be the PS4 one.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I know we (ERA) has a tendency of beating and bastardizing terms to death, but this is literally pro-consumer. This gives users a ton of flexibility in physical size, storage size, price, and manufacturer options.
Yeah this is for the whole gen pretty much. You are good when ever you decide to upgrade. Just need to see prices now but I may jump in on the Samsung 980 as soon as they say its a go.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Oh nice.
Even though the drive fused to the board isn't removable. The expandable slot being easy to get to is a nice thing to see.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The more options the better. I'll just get whichever fits the criteria and is on the biggest deal.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Thanks to Thiago who posted this on the OT, and the original source who noticed this(https://twitter.com/Zuby_Tech/status/1313868793022754816/photo/1)
I think this is threadworthy(if any mod disagree, please lock).

We already know that Sony will support any third party SSD as long as it have the necessary speed, but now after the Teardown video we maybe also know what sizes it will support.
I don't know what are the implications of this choice, but I assume this will be good on the long run.

And I used the rumor tag since this is not confirmed yet.
EjvLxW_X0AEWgrb

EjvLvRQWkAAkeBf
I would edit this title to say any length so we don't mislead people, it doesn't necessarily support any height since heat sinks can be different sizes. I mean it might be don't know for sure yet.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
good luck buying any size but a 2280 especially at good prices (smaller drives cost more). all those other sizes are mainly oem drives
I'm not sure why this is being conveyed as a bad thing. Sony gives us the option of all of them, so even if we have bad luck finding smaller drives, we can just use the bigger ones no issues right? Where's the problem lie? Unless I'm mistaking your tone here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to happen needs to be PCIE4 drives only. Cerny already said as much in the tech reveal back in March.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
can we use an internal storage for PS4 games even if it's too slow for PS5 games. I hate having external drives hooked up.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
I think its confirmed at this point. This is the PS5's greatest design feature besides the SSD controller. Being able to buy a 4TB 7GB/s SSD for $300 in 2 years is going to be a game changer. You can already buy a 7GB/s 980 pro for $229.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
all 22mm width sizes at least. Assuming 110mm length also fits.

Last edited:

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Not really a "rumor" when the info comes from Sony's official tear down.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
It's nice that after the Vita proprietary memory debacle, sony isn't making the mistake of selling overpriced memory solutions. Again.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why this is being conveyed as a bad thing. Sony gives us the option of all of them, so even if we have bad luck finding smaller drives, we can just use the bigger ones no issues right? Where's the problem lie? Unless I'm mistaking your tone here.
im not saying its bad im just saying that those smaller drives are a pain to get a hold of as a consumer so its weird they'd go with those holes for all teh sizes

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the SSD you put in is too slow, it'll still let you use it as cold storage instead of an external HDD.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
So how hard is it gonna be to throw an extra 2-4TBs into this thing? I remember when I got my PS4, the literal first thing I did was remove the 500GB drive and replace it with a 2TB one.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
But will it support any PCIe 4.0 SSD or is it only the recommended ones?

EDIT: PCIe 4.0

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fine for PS4 games, Indie games, and Third party games that have to work on XSX's slower drive. Also good for storing exclusives you're not playing at the moment if you can move games between drives.
That's why they allow external storage for PS4 titles. I highly doubt internal storage will be compatible with anything but PCIE 4.0

Oct 27, 2017
im not saying its bad im just saying that those smaller drives are a pain to get a hold of as a consumer so its weird they'd go with those holes for all teh sizes
I think it's just future proofing compatibility, it's possible they might be more widespread in 2026 for example and people with launch units won't have to doubt if they're compatible. It's also possible SSDs in that size never become available.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
So how hard is it gonna be to throw an extra 2-4TBs into this thing? I remember when I got my PS4, the literal first thing I did was remove the 500GB drive and replace it with a 2TB one.
I don't believe you can replace the embedded 825 but can only add one as expanded. You just remove a white panel and the slot is there. Any further into the system and looks like you remove a void sticker

Last edited: