• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's Your Favourite First Party Exclusive of the PlayStation 5

• Screw Compartment

Votes: 324 9.2%
  • Liquid Metal

Votes: 1,209 34.3%
  • Vibration Dampeners

Votes: 55 1.6%
  • SSD Tray

Votes: 320 9.1%
  • Replaceable Side Panels

Votes: 361 10.2%
  • Dust Traps

Votes: 515 14.6%
  • Thor 2: The Dark World

Votes: 744 21.1%

• Total voters

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Do you have a source for this? USB-C does not automatically imply a DP signal.
13ed Ariel USB 3.1 Type C: Gen2 x 1port + DP Alt Mode
Code:
    13e0  Ariel Root Complex
    13e1  Ariel IOMMU
    13e2  Ariel PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
    13e3  Ariel PCIe GPP Bridge
    13e4  Ariel PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
    13e5  Ariel Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus A
    13e6  Ariel Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus B
    13e7  Ariel SMBus Controller
    13e8  Ariel LPC Bridge
    13e9  Ariel Internal GPU
    13ea  Ariel HD Audio Controller
    13eb  Ariel HD Audio Coprocessor
    13ec  Ariel Cryptographic Coprocessor
    13ed  Ariel USB 3.1 Type C: Gen2 x 1port + DP Alt Mode
    13ee  Ariel USB 3.1 Type A: Gen2 x 2 ports
    13ef  Ariel ZCN/MP4
    13f0  Ariel Device 24: Function 0
    13f1  Ariel Device 24: Function 1
    13f2  Ariel Device 24: Function 2
    13f3  Ariel Device 24: Function 3
    13f4  Ariel Device 24: Function 4
    13f5  Ariel Device 24: Function 5
    13f6  Ariel Device 24: Function 6
    13f7  Ariel Device 24: Function 7

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's a real problem, and for as fair as Greg can be (and he was good at balancing some of the arguments being made in this podcast), he really doesn't do any favours by leaving some of these things unchecked. I was waiting for him to confront Gary about how PS3 and PS4 also had expandable storage and required a screwdriver and weren't a problem or why it's not a problem that Xbox requires you to charge and swap out the AA batteries of its controllers more often than you'll be changing the stand on the PS5 — but those logical rebuttals never happen live, and they should.
From what I have seen recently, it does seem that Greg has been getting caught up in the concerns that Gary and others have brought up where as he would usually be a bit more level headed.

Even Tim seems to be doing the same, him talking about the 3D audio and being extremely dismissive about them bringing it to TV speakers and saying they were just spouting bullshit was pretty surprising.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Just done. I left the digital out because I'd only have all the good bits read before it arrived.

Was 90 euro for me for 13 issues.

Just did it, myself.

tenor.gif

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Code:
    13e0  Ariel Root Complex
    13e1  Ariel IOMMU
    13e8  Ariel LPC Bridge
    13e9  Ariel Internal GPU
    13ef  Ariel ZCN/MP4
Those codes don't mean anything in regards to the PS5 though? As the other guy said, not all USB-C is DP Alt Mode enabled. And the USB-C on the PS5 also lacks the DP logo.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
You don't need a screwdriver for the stand.

First, if you screw it with your thumb... you only need your thumb to unscrew it, isn't this logical?

Second, if you want it tight for some unknown reason, the slot trench is wide and rounded to use a penny or a quarter, or your keys, whatever. It's a common style of toolless consumer accessible bolt.

We need to appreciate the fact that after claiming it will overheat, or be loud, or throttle, etc... the gigantic heatsink and liquid metal is discrediting months and months of FUD. And they're left with talking against the base needing a screw. That's where we're at.

Am I the only one who thinks the box will come with a flat head small screwdriver instrument?

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what I have seen recently, it does seem that Greg has been getting caught up in the concerns that Gary and others have brought up where as he would usually be a bit more level headed.

Even Tim seems to be doing the same, him talking about the 3D audio and being extremely dismissive about them bringing it to TV speakers and saying they were just spouting bullshit was pretty surprising.

Yeah, and the whole exchange around games being cross gen was weird too.

"Xbox says this"

"That's cool, really transparent"

"Sony has said this"

"Yeah, but I don't believe them until I SEE it!"

Fucking bizzare. The whole thing about thinking your PS4 saves might not work on backwards compatible games was just crazy too.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

The ones that's job it is to cover gaming seem to end up knowing less than enthusiast/hobbyist like us and thus spreading FUD. It's embarrassing to see. When the dust has settled it in give or take 6 months it will be interesting to see who has learned from all of this, and who continues to behave the same way.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, and the whole exchange around games being cross gen was weird too.

"Xbox says this"

"That's cool, really transparent"

"Sony has said this"

"Yeah, but I don't believe them until I SEE it!"

Fucking bizzare. The whole thing about thinking your PS4 saves might not work on backwards compatible games was just crazy too.
People have been doing that shit for a while now.

It seems that their train of thought has gone like this:

Xbox announce first
"Super transparent of them"

Waiting for Sony to respond
"Why haven't they announced it too? They must be hiding something or its not as good as Xbox"

Sony announces sale exact thing
"FINALLY! But I will wait until I see evidence to believe them"
The ones that's job it is to cover gaming seem to end up knowing less and thus spreading FUD. It's embarrassing to see. When the dust has settled it in give or take 6 months it will be interesting to see who has learned from all of this.
Honestly, it's this very reason that I hardly watch games media as much as I used to because I always know more than them and when they start making shitty opinions based on ignorance or misunderstandings it just really puts me off.

None of them will learn though, they never do.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ones that's job it is to cover gaming seem to end up knowing less than enthusiast/hobbyist like us and thus spreading FUD. It's embarrassing to see. When the dust has settled it in give or take 6 months it will be interesting to see who has learned from all of this, and who continues to behave the same way.
Maybe expecting folks to know how to use a screwdriver is too much to ask. Especially for tech enthusiasts.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys like Greg and the others like IGN *insert infamous gif here* are only really good at talking about surface-level shit.

There are people in this very thread with better knowledge and understanding of PS5 and XBOXSX.

Listening to people like Andrea Renee and Destin legarie talk utter uneducated shit has me like
50.png

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Code:
    13e0  Ariel Root Complex
    13e1  Ariel IOMMU
    13e8  Ariel LPC Bridge
    13e9  Ariel Internal GPU
    13ef  Ariel ZCN/MP4
Where's the 4th USB port?

Mung

Nov 2, 2017

Xbox announce first

"Why haven't they announced it too? They must be hiding something or its not as good as Xbox"

Honestly, it's this very reason that I hardly watch games media as much as I used to because I always know more than them and when they start making shitty opinions based on ignorance or misunderstandings it just really puts me off.

The same nonsense happens every new gen. Its become meaningless. They attempt to shoehorn a narrative.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
I see! It is missing the DP logo on the USB-C port though so things might have changed in the final product. We'll find out I guess lol
It just makes sense for them to use a single cable solution like USB C for future PSVR 2. Even if they also introduce a wireless adaptor that connects via USB C as well.

Speaking of branding, DP branding reminds me of the discussion in June when some people kept insisting that the USB C port did not have a specific USB trident branding so it won't support super speed 10Gbps and that the USB A port only had the lightning branding so it will only be for charging and won't carry data.

13j0dpK.jpg

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020

Xbox announce first

Lol gamespot's latest video would make your blood boil

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Yeah, CBS sold them to a different company and a bunch of them have been laid off.

www.resetera.com

ViaCom/ CBS Layoffs happening now and in the coming days

It seems ViacomCBS has started layoffs today and continuing over the next few days since the sale to RedVentures. I have seen things popping up on Twitter. Seems to be primarily affecting CNET as of now, but I'd assume any companies under the umbrella can be impacted. (Gamespot, CNET, etc)

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Edit* just saw the posts about their jobs, sorry to hear that for them.

Just looking at the scepticism in her face as she talks about Sony's pre release strategy is enough to put me off.

As someone who worked in marketing for over 7 years, hearing non marketing people talk about it is infuriating.

So much complaining about how bad it apparently is or how much of a disadvantage it's putting Sony in when every single metric screams the opposite.

Their announcements have broken the internet whenever they drop some info. The reveal of the damm logo made the internet meltdown in hype and excitement.

Pre orders instantly sold out, seemingly a higher amount of stock in quicker time than its competitor.

Market research has seemingly shown that the target audience for consoles is overwhelmingly in favour of ps5.

So many people in this industry, be it games media or enthusiast groups are completely unaware of how ignorant they are of reality outside of their own bubble.

Absolutely baffling and infuriating to follow. As someone who wants to be hyped and embrace it through supposed professionals opinions, I'm increasingly left severely disappointed.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I saw that it was 26 minutes and the thumbnail had a confused looking woman standing next to a enlarged ps5. I already knew what was up and immediately got that off my YouTube feed
I recall it was like this at the start of this gen as well, tons of press calling it already for XBOX ONE.

The infamous 'Dont read too much into it' when PS4 crossed its 1 million milestone.

Yeah, CBS sold them to a different company and a bunch of them have been laid off.

www.resetera.com

ViaCom/ CBS Layoffs happening now and in the coming days

It seems ViacomCBS has started layoffs today and continuing over the next few days since the sale to RedVentures. I have seen things popping up on Twitter. Seems to be primarily affecting CNET as of now, but I'd assume any companies under the umbrella can be impacted. (Gamespot, CNET, etc)
Well, that sucks. Hope they land on their feet - this is not the time to be out of a job.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
That actually sounds like a good move, now that you mention it.

Edge glossy physical + digital subscription, $125. https://www.magazinesdirect.com/mobile/az-magazines/6936449/edge-magazine-subscription.thtml?j=EDG

Let's do it!

Edit: done. Can't wait to get my first issue and read some some non trash. I havent subscribed in like 18 years.
Just done. I left the digital out because I'd only have all the good bits read before it arrived.

Was 90 euro for me for 13 issues.
Very cool. See you in the recent Edge #351 thread!
Also a pretty recent subscriber (since #333).

www.resetera.com

EDGE 351 December 2020 : Destiny 2 Beyond Light

Features: Bright Future: Destiny 2: Beyond Light Going Dutch: Vlambeer look back at the history of the studio Making of: Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun Studio Profile: Creepy Jar Time Extend: Super Mario Galaxy 2 The Long Game: Rocket League Hype : Little Nightmares 2 Hood : Outlaws &...

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Edit* just saw the posts about their jobs, sorry to hear that for them.

Just looking at the scepticism in her face as she talks about Sony's pre release strategy is enough to put me off.

As someone who worked in marketing for over 7 years, hearing non marketing people talk about it is infuriating.

So much complaining about how bad it apparently is or how much of a disadvantage it's putting Sony in when every single metric screams the opposite.

Their announcements have broken the internet whenever they drop some info. The reveal of the damm logo made the internet meltdown in hype and excitement.

Pre orders instantly sold out, seemingly a higher amount of stock in quicker time than its competitor.

Market research has seemingly shown that the target audience for consoles is overwhelmingly in favour of ps5.

So many people in this industry, be it games media or enthusiast groups are completely unaware of how ignorant they are of reality outside of their own bubble.

Absolutely baffling and infuriating to follow. As someone who wants to be hyped and embrace it through supposed professionals opinions, I'm increasingly left severely disappointed.
These guys ain't the impartial professionals you're hoping for. Microsoft gives them what they need to make content and Sony hasn't and that has coloured their perceptions.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
These guys ain't the impartial professionals you're hoping for. Microsoft gives them what they need to make content and Sony doesn't and that has coloured their perceptions.
You mean GameSpot or pundits in general?

Never watched GameSpot before so didn't have any prior opinions on them.

But access and media engagement are a huge reason the games media are so easily swayed by or from one company compared to another.

Look at how many have been sent a series X which has resulted in them swooning over the console and yet they have to follow NDAs and are only allowed to focus on backwards compatibility.

They may say it's not having an effect on them but when every single channel I have seen that has one will always make sure to mention how Sony hasn't sent them ps5s yet but Microsoft has, it's obvious how it's influenced their opinion on the situation.

Seems all you need to do is say shit early and send stuff as pr and you can make people lose any form of critical thinking.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
These guys ain't the impartial professionals you're hoping for. Microsoft gives them what they need to make content and Sony doesn't and that has coloured their perceptions.
It's called marketing/pr and Sony hasn't spent money on as many influencers and publications to push positive narratives. Funny thing is people think the Bethesda acquisition is the first time Microsoft dug into that warchest. They go into that warchest the start of every gen with their marketing/pr push rather it be influencers, publications, various media to talk highly and not nearly as many negative comments as Sony gets.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
These guys ain't the impartial professionals you're hoping for. Microsoft gives them what they need to make content and Sony hasn't and that has coloured their perceptions.
Strange how the gaming media in the US is constantly doubting Sony during the console release cycles.
Happens everytime.
It is what it is, very used to it now. Especially from the US gaming media.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's called marketing/pr and Sony hasn't spent money on as many influencers and publications to push positive narratives. Funny thing is people think the Bethesda acquisition is the first time Microsoft dug into that warchest. They go into that warchest the start of every gen with their marketing/pr push rather it be influencers, publications, various media to talk highly and not nearly as many negative comments as Sony gets.
And yet they're behind every gen. I think a site has be to impartial when catering to a wide pool of viewers. Sony does not have to send consoles to influencers which is what DF is IMO. They do produce quality content, i however wish the bias that at least dictator shows would be less apparent. Nevertheless i enjoy what they put out.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017

But access and media engagement are a huge reason the games media are so easily swayed by or from one company compared to another.

Look at how many have been sent a series X which has resulted in them swooning over the console and yet they have to follow NDAs and are only allowed to focus on backwards compatibility.

They may say it's not having an effect on them but when every single channel I have seen that has one will always make sure to mention how Sony hasn't sent them ps5s yet but Microsoft has, it's obvious how it's influenced their opinion on the situation.

Seems all you need to do is say shit early and send stuff as pr and you can make people lose any form of critical thinking.
Why shouldn't their opinion be influenced? Microsoft's approach is just objectively better for media and consumers. Everyone would be happier and more informed if PS5s were sent to everyone but instead they did a Japanese only supervised event.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017

I have never been a fan of gaming journalists receiving free goodies, games, hardware etc. Ripe for coloring their perception of a product or company.
I mean on a side note, gaming journalism itself is pretty terrible overall.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Strange how the gaming media in the US is constantly doubting Sony during the console release cycles.
Happens everytime.
Of course the console will sell fine but I think it's healthy to have some skepticism of something you haven't been hands on with. The narrative will change if Sony delivers with their console next month and assuredly the narrative will just shift based on the sales gap between the PS5 and the XSS/X.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
And yet they're behind every gen. I think a site has be to impartial when catering to a wide pool of viewers. Sony does not have to send consoles to influencers which is what DF is IMO. They do produce quality content, i however wish the bias that at least dictator shows would be less apparent. Nevertheless i enjoy what they put out.
Dictator is biased toward what? PC gaming?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Happens everytime.
better that way. Sony is still undervalued in the stock market I remember when they were trading at 19 bucks a share in 2014. Now at 78. Crazy time for them over the years.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why shouldn't their opinion be influenced? Microsoft's approach is just objectively better for media and consumers. Everyone would be happier and more informed if PS5s were sent to everyone but instead they did a Japanese only supervised event.
They are a Japanese company.

Whats this ethnocentrism? Same people had issues that the teardown was done by their Japanese tech-heads instead of the guy from DF.