• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
I figured that there should be a thread for PS5 troubleshooting since the Xbox Series X/S has a thread.

How long does the PS5 take to install the dayone firmware update? I have been waiting for 15 minutes with the white light flashing? Is that normal?

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
My PS5 makes sort of a buzzing noise under load (it's much quieter otherwise). Not sure if it's the fan or PSU or what but it's kind of concerning. It's not that loud but it's hard to ignore. I uploaded a clip taken with my phone from right next to the system, moving it around the front and top. Any advice, or reassurance that this is okay?

clyp.it

PS5 Noise - Clyp

Listen to PS5 Noise | Clyp is the easiest way to record, upload and share audio.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
No HDMI signal on mine. Tried different different cables, different tvs, different ports, safe mode. I know it's a long shot but any ideas?

rare

Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 makes sort of a buzzing noise under load (it's much quieter otherwise). Not sure if it's the fan or PSU or what but it's kind of concerning. It's not that loud but it's hard to ignore. I uploaded a clip taken with my phone from right next to the system, moving it around the front and top. Any advice, or reassurance that this is okay?

clyp.it

PS5 Noise - Clyp

Listen to PS5 Noise | Clyp is the easiest way to record, upload and share audio.
Do you have a disc inserted?

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
I was fine to boot it when I got it, but tonight I lost HDMI and nothing so far seems to work. I'll have to try it in the morning.

Oct 27, 2017
My issues are below, but aren't major and I'm having a great time with Spider Man, Souls, and Astro. I've probably put about 6-7 hours in just today, maybe 8
  • screen flickering at first, changed hdmi cable, fixed it
  • Updates wouldn't download for PS4 games on extended storage, removed extended storage due to reports of it causing issues
  • Wouldn't recognize my 2.4ghz network at first but eventually did

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018

clyp.it

PS5 Noise - Clyp

Just the sound of multidimensional beings communicating from beyond the quantum barrier, broken open by the incredible speed of the PS5 SSD. It's normal.

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
On my second attempt to play Cold War. Had a hard lock up and spent 30 minutes waiting for the SSD to repair itself. So now waiting an hour for the Blu Ray to install again while downloading the 57GB patch (which will take 3 more hours) *again*.

If the campaign isn't installed after that I'm just returning the game. What a nightmare.

lowkeyframe

Oct 27, 2017

clyp.it

PS5 Noise - Clyp

I believe I have a similar sound that plays for maybe 15 seconds then goes away and becomes whisper silent again.
This was with disc in and happened with multiple games via disc. I'll try to test one of my digital Games and see if it triggers.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Advice from users in the PS5 OT is giving me the impression it's coil whine. It's annoying but I guess it's not really a huge problem. Here's a clip of my switching between Demon's Souls cinematic and performance modes.

clyp.it

PS5 Noise, Demon's Souls Modes - Clyp

Switching between Cinematic and Performance modes

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
How do you make folders/organize and if there is no way, how do you yell at the right people at Sony until they make this happen.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

clyp.it

PS5 Noise - Clyp

Its coil whine. It shouldn't be an issue outside of the fact that it can be annoying. Up to you if you want to exchange/refund it. I had to do the same with a 970 back when that launched.

Rafroel

Oct 28, 2017
I have two hot tips:
1- an obvious one, but your PS4 full backups won't work. You need to transfer ONLY your save data to your HDD. I know because I lost all my saves this way.
2- if the stand isn't placed properly, when horizontally, you may get some noise due to the disc drive rattling on your TV stand. I was worried my PS5 was loud, but upon fixing the stand it went super silent.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Its coil whine. It shouldn't be an issue outside of the fact that it can be annoying. Up to you if you want to exchange/refund it. I had to do the same with a 970 back when that launched.
Yeah I guess I've just been lucky that I've never noticed it with other consoles or PC parts

yencid

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone had the PS5 stop accepting inputs from the dual sense? had to reset it by holding down the button because it kinda just froze the inputs. The game was still running but i couldnt do anything even when the light on the dualsense was on

Aug 30, 2020

clyp.it

PS5 Noise - Clyp

My PS5 has coil whine very much like this. It's fairly annoying, but it seems relatively common too.

Definitely the most coil whine of any electronic component I've ever had, makes my PS5 quite a bit louder than my i9-9900k and 3080. But I don't think it'll bother me that much...

Really it reminds me of the Dreamcast disk drive sound. So it brings back fond memories on one hand... With that sound the PS5 really sounds quite a bit like a Dreamcast.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone had the PS5 stop accepting inputs from the dual sense? had to reset it by holding down the button because it kinda just froze the inputs. The game was still running but i couldnt do anything even when the light on the dualsense was on
Yes. Had it happen a couple times. But now seems like it's not doing it anymore for me.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Is there a way to hard reset? PS4 you held down the power for like 10secs, i had to unplug when it crashed earlier because nothing worked and I can't find anything on it.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Alphabetical sorting in the Game library doesn't seem to stick once you leave the screen and its really annoying. Im looking for games to install, not games I recently played.

ImmortanRambo

Jun 25, 2020
Anyone else with the voucher issue? Bought a voucher for spiderman ultimate edition ps5. Remaster installed fine but can't install miles morales. Talked to the live chat and they're aware of the issue but no eta on a fix. Hoping it's fixed for the weekend.

WarLox

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Seems like games are ignoring the system level disabling of the auto software updates option. I hope they patch this.

AriesM4rch

Oct 27, 2017
Posted this in the OT:

Was playing Miles Morales and the screen suddenly went black, couldn't go back to the home screen or anything. I then ejected Miles and powered off the PS5 into rest mode and it came back on like nothing happened. My TV also then turned off and back on again by itself which makes me think it could be the HDMI cord? Did anyone else have a similar issue?

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
I find it odd that games don't do the copy-install from Game-Disc to SDD in sleep mode. I could've sworn the PS4 did this.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Posted this in the OT:

Was playing Miles Morales and the screen suddenly went black, couldn't go back to the home screen or anything. I then ejected Miles and powered off the PS5 into rest mode and it came back on like nothing happened. My TV also then turned off and back on again by itself which makes me think it could be the HDMI cord? Did anyone else have a similar issue?
I had my screen go completely black for like 10 seconds. Waited it out and the game came back on and everything resumed like normal. This seems to be a pretty common bug somehow. FYI I'm not using the HDMI that came with the PS5, not sure about you (it was too short for my setup).

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I originally had no sound coming from my TV with the HDMI. Tried different cables etc, settings, nothing worked until I switched it to my HDMI 1 input on my LG B9.

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
Well I am getting a replacement unit, had to fight the lady on the phone a bit as I did not think "go to a friends house and try their TV" was a valid troubleshooting step when I had already tried a 1080 monitor.
First time I have ever had hardware porblems on a PlayStation.. now I have to wait two more weeks.

lowkeyframe

Oct 27, 2017
Up to now, I never experienced any issues.
I've had ethernet wired, external storage connected, and used rest mode without any problems.

Just experienced my first crash.
I was playing Cold War when I had to take a picture. My controller got stuck vibrating as I took the picture. That was the first sign of a crash. It froze as I took a picture and my ps5 shut down. I had to press the power button a couple times to get it to turn on.

When it finally turned on, it had to repair console and also repair my external storage.
It now loaded to a black screen that wasn't changing. I started getting worried as I was waiting for 5 minutes.

I pressed the power button and it went into rest mode. It's as if it was active but nothing was showing up on screen.

I turned it back on, asked me to report the problem and booted back up. Seems like everything is fine now though.

I really don't believe the external storage, rest mode, and wired connection are the root cause of what occurred in my scenario.
The game crashed during a moment and my console crashed. It's gonna be really challenging diagnosing the trigger.

I'm going to try replaying that mission to replicate the issue and keep my setup as is.
Wish me luck.

Last edited:

lowkeyframe

Oct 27, 2017
Tried re-proing the issue but couldn't.
The crash felt very familiar as sometimes during game Dev, the game crashes on an action that has vibration feedback.

Oct 25, 2017
I've only been able to spend an hour with the console so far, haven't even played a game, but I have two issues.

1) My USB stick that I just used to copy saves from the PS4 won't be recognized by the PS5. No light activity on the stick and PS5 says there is no USB storage attached. It's a really old stick, but it literally just worked on my PC and PS4.

2) Some of my PS4 games have a lock icon on them. I restored licenses, I made sure console sharing was enabled (which was the default anyway) but no luck. It let me download Ghost of Tsushima no problem, but God of War and several others remain locked. Could it be because they're in the PS+ collection and that's causing licensing confusion on the backend? Maybe I should try disabling console sharing so that account doesn't have Plus privileges anymore...

Help!

edit: I've resolved both issues and neither one was my PS5's fault

Last edited:

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'm reposting this from the OT in case it helps anyone:
Really strange thing happened for me so I'm sharing how I fixed it but also hoping someone can do an ELI5 and make it less confusing:

TV is 100% 4K and has HDR. Used it just fine for Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. Series X had no issues running in 4K and with HDR.

PS5 recognized that TV is 4K/HDR and all video settings were set to automatic. But it wouldn't enable HDR on anything. Tried multiple HDMI cables - it was plugged into the same port that was activated previously for PS4 - nothing worked.

Until I just started messing with stuff. I changed the 4K Video Transfer Rate to -1 and nothing changed. Swapped it to -2 and the screen flashed, HDR was enabled and now everything is working fine. I have no idea what this means, what caused it, why the Series X doesn't require me to do this or anything but maybe this info can help someone else out.

System is INSANE. I really love it. Hope you're all enjoying yours!

Oct 25, 2017
My issues are below, but aren't major and I'm having a great time with Spider Man, Souls, and Astro. I've probably put about 6-7 hours in just today, maybe 8
  • screen flickering at first, changed hdmi cable, fixed it
  • Updates wouldn't download for PS4 games on extended storage, removed extended storage due to reports of it causing issues
  • Wouldn't recognize my 2.4ghz network at first but eventually did
I'm getting screen flickering while using a different hdmi cable than the one included that works on all my other devices except PS5 the cord isn't even that old but won't hold a picture and fuzz/ snowstorm effect everywhere on screen any idea why this is happening?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'll detail my solved issue here, and an ongoing one.

My first issue was trying to get my external HDD from my PS4 to work with the PS5. The drive was working perfectly on the PS4 to start. On initial plugin to the PS5, the system said it was corrupted. Couldn't see the drive/games at all. Booted the PS4 back up, plugged in the drive, and lo and behold, it had become corrupted. The PS4 was able to repair it, all games came back, good to go. Replugged it into the PS5. This time, the games showed in my library, but the entire PS5 slowed down. Could still not see the drive in the external storage system setting. A bunch of random games start going in the download queue, for patches. During this, numerous games show as No Title in the download queue, and when these games finish downloading, 90% of them pop up saying Unknown completed downloading. I leave the PS5 alone, and it seems it sorted it self out. I was able to see the external HDD (takes a few minutes to show though), and all my games are in my library, displaying correctly and able to be played.

However, due to this, or maybe another issue, I still have any PS4/cross-gen game pop up as Unknown when downloading is completed/installed.

It seems to be fine now, but I have unplugged it just in case due to issues I've been seeing online about externals.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting screen flickering while using a different hdmi cable than the one included that works on all my other devices except PS5 the cord isn't even that old but won't hold a picture and fuzz/ snowstorm effect everywhere on screen any idea why this is happening?
Switching on or off hdcp helped. I bought a new cable from Walmart and switched it out and it worked. Idk why, I recommend trying that. Or check your tv to see what hdmi mode it's set to at that input? Good luck!

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having dualsense vibration issues? I don't get any vibration from COD CW PS5 version, but works fine on all other games.

lol_not_ok

Mar 30, 2019
Seems my ports in the front don't charge in Rest Mode. Have the setting correct and will charge my headphones while powered on, but not in rest mode.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone having dualsense vibration issues? I don't get any vibration from COD CW PS5 version, but works fine on all other games.

Cold War is really hit or miss with haptics for me, and I've poured a ton of time into Astrobot and Miles Morales with zero haptic issues. It doesn't feel like a great implementation right now.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
What the actual fuck at all these issues.
Did Sony not do any testing on this console?
Ahhh breathe..
My demons souls in installing, this launch is the most stressful. I swear ps4 launch was the best, we had BF4 crashing lag and all but still better than this.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Seems my ports in the front don't charge in Rest Mode. Have the setting correct and will charge my headphones while powered on, but not in rest mode.
Does it keep charging the controller? Or does it start charging if you unplug and plug back in? Sometimes devices don't really like power fluctuations when charging, the USB ports might actually put out less power in rest mode, or shortly dip in power output when entering rest mode.