• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everybody, I found an issue on PS5 that I was wondering if others were also experiencing, or if my console is somehow having an issue. Could others perhaps try this and get back to me? Hopefully this thread is also helpful for someone else googling this problem:

- Have auto-login on for your profile (this step might be unnecessary)
- Put a blu-ray movie in your PS5 (4K UHD disc would presumably also work, but I'm using a regular blu-ray)
- Put your PS5 in rest mode with the disc in
- Boot up your PS5 from rest mode
- The PS5 will take you directly to the disc's icon on the main menu, switching to media tab on its own
- From there, you may not be able to navigate the UI until you log out and back in. At least I can't! I can press circle to go back to the first tile, but neither the d-pad or stick allow me to navigate the menu at all until I log out and back in, or reboot the system altogether.

Am I alone in this?

Bit of a nightmarish UI in some ways, to be honest. I really appreciate them making a brand new one for the new system, and I think it looks visually gorgeous, but its usability is such a step down in its current form that I actively dislike the experience of using the console when I'm not playing a game. I'm confident they'll improve it though!

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
Happening with ps5 digital edition as well. UI just gets stuck upon boot up, in game controls work fine.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually had this same issue yesterday after turning on my PS5 from Rest mode after going to bed last night. I could open games via the Switcher, but I couldn't use the Main UI until I rebooted the console. I have Auto-Sign in enabled, and I had Miles Morales in it (Though I was playing P5R at the time, and it defaulted to P5R on the menu)

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018
I just watched a uhd on Saturday and didn't have this problem. I don't have auto login enabled so I'm not sure if that matters or not.

lilty

Oct 25, 2017
New Brunswick
Don't think it's related to blu ray. Had a similar issue with my digital edition, controller inputs just wouldn't work on the Home Screen. Had to reboot and it resolved the issue.

OP
OP
Vinc

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
If not blu-ray, I'm thinking it may have to do with the console "snapping" to whatever you were doing last in the UI. I've noticed that input actually works for me on initial boot, until it quickly refreshes and takes me to the last thing I was doing (in my case, watching a blu-ray). It's interesting it's happening in other ways. Perhaps it happens when switching between the Media and Game tabs? E.g. watching Youtube in the Media tab, turning off the console, and booting it back up with a game in, therefore sending it to the game tab? Just a thought.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
This happened to me last night, first time using the console since the update. I had a Blu-ray in the drive. Going in and out of rest mode didn't fix it, had to fully power down the console and turn it back on.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was having this problem as well, and I just happened to have a 4K movie inside the console. It still happened even when I ejected the disc and restarted.

It hasn't happened to me in the last couple of times I've awakened the console from rest mode. Either it's fixed or it's random. Subbing this thread for updates.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Had this happen to me too. I found hitting L1 takes me back to games. R1 back to media. When I couldn't normally navigate around the menu items with the D-Pad.

Aernout

Apr 20, 2020
Netherlands
Exact same issue here since the new firmware. The game bar also suddenly changed. While I used to have only my played titles listed, the bar now features PS Now and other icons. Only solution so far is to do a reboot. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I installed Horizon from the PS app, turned my PS5 on and had the exact same problem

If I hadn't had read this first, I wouldn't have known to just log out and back in again

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This still seems to be an issue. I had a Blu Ray inside my PS5, when I got out of Rest Mode twice the same issue with navigating the main menu occurred. Ejecting the disc fixed the problem, and this seems to only happen with movie discs and not games.

It's really strange how both of the new consoles have issues playing 4k movies.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a similar intermittently unresponsive UI on start up since the latest firmware.

I do not have auto-login enabled so mine boots to the user select screen. The controller is connected but the UI is unresponsive to it. Pressing circle turns off the controller and then after turning the controller on again the UI works correctly.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
I had this just coming out of rest mode, no movie disc inside or anything

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its so stable you can't even move the UI now.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
I've had this problem too, UI navigation doesn't work after waking the console except strangely I can still use the shoulder buttons to switch between Games / Media. It seems like I can prevent the problem if I initiate rest mode while a game tile is selected, as opposed to a media tile.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
This is still an issue. I get it every single time I watch a Blu Ray.

Ridiculous it hasn't been fixed yet, it's so easy to replicate.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's the same issue but recently when I boot from rest mode sometimes I can't navigate ether main menu menu bar. I can press ps and bring up the pop up menu which is controllable but if I try to choose a game, it won't respond. Only thing that corrects it is fully powering off. Now that I think of it, I think I have had a disc in mainly (re watching the wire)

Aernout

Apr 20, 2020
Netherlands
Not sure if it's the same issue but recently when I boot from rest mode sometimes I can't navigate ether main menu menu bar. I can press ps and bring up the pop up menu which is controllable but if I try to choose a game, it won't respond. Only thing that corrects it is fully powering off. Now that I think of it, I think I have had a disc in mainly (re watching the wire)
Does sound the same, have you tried doing a factory reset?

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if the same problem but my UI sometimes get stuck and the only thing that works is to use L1 and R1 to switch between the games and media tab. I can also hold down the PS button. This at least allows me to put the machine to rest mode which usually fixes the issue.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not sure if the same problem but my UI sometimes get stuck and the only thing that works is to use L1 and R1 to switch between the games and media tab. I can also hold down the PS button. This at least allows me to put the machine to rest mode which usually fixes the issue.
Yeah, it is the same problem. Still happens from time to time. Hopefully they fix this soon.

Aernout

Apr 20, 2020
Netherlands

Yes, this is the same issue. At first, I thought it was related to a new firmware version, but after doing a factory reset, I'm not really it is. Haven't had any isses after I restored the PS5 to defaults.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure of this is the same thing, but holding the PS button on the DuelSense fixes it for me.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Same issue. And my Series X shows a black screen every 30 seconds while playing blu rays or UHDs.

I got fed up and just bought a stand-alone 4k player last week.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Same issue. And my Series X shows a black screen every 30 seconds while playing blu rays or UHDs.
What, seriously? How can that even happen, that's a real dealbreaker. Maybe a "handshake" issue with the TV? My Blu-Ray picture on PS5 sometimes gets a very small green line on the very top right corner of the TV, when I switch back to another input and back again it's fixed.

Anyway, the PS5 issue is still happening :(

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
Still happens to me occasionally, but it seems the easiest solution is to go to "change user" and then log back in with the same account. Faster than rebooting, in any case.