• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I do wonder whether the games on the Xbox Series console have to account assets to support both Series S and Series X which is why it is bigger in file size in comparison to Ps5 only having one version to optimize the space in the file size?

Maybe this explains the storage difference since it would allows easier transfer between a series S and series X console.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Saying Series S/X size is inaccurate as Series S installs are smaller than X.

But yeah, I've noticed this as well. PS5 native games are by far smaller than all other systems including PS4.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
It'll probably widen more as the generation goes on and the compression tech that's used in the PS5 (Kraken and Texture) improves. It's why the size of the SSD isn't as much of a deal when you don't look at it solely based on the size of Warzone.

Here's an interesting thread on how compression is going to be of benefit to the PS5.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Are the series consoles automatically utilizing BCPack and the other compression tech yet or is it something devs have to implement themselves or what?

Any compression is something devs have to explicitly use, on any platform, rather than something that would just automatically happen.

I think it's probably a given that devs are using the baked in lossless compression on each platform, however.

The RDO texture compressors - BCPack on Xbox, Oodle Texture on PS - they're less mature at this stage, and may not be in widespread use yet. They would certainly never be automatically applied as they're lossy, and you'd want artist intervention to review settings etc.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The main reason for the difference is that Sony is recommending and pushing developers to use more compression methods (one example is making oodle compression available to all before Epic bought them) and methodologies when packaging their game to make sure it ends up being small. I doubt its enforced in any way, but they have probably made it easier to do.

Saying Series S/X size is inaccurate as Series S installs are smaller than X.
Honest question, how often is that the case? I saw it being talked about before launch but not really after it, are there many examples of smaller file sizes on Series S?

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
Those Xbox numbers aren't accurate. It definitely says big numbers in the store but most games aren't actually that big on your system. For example, on my Series X the next gen version of THPS 1+2 is only 22GB.

That's the only one on your list that I have installed currently, but I know a bunch of others are smaller than they say in the store. People need to look at the actual sizes on their hard dries and report back to this thread.

Mar 29, 2018
i welcome this change, compress it more please if you can
I'm not sure exactly why this is, though I assume it's an advantage of PS5's Kraken compression
I could be wrong, but a large factor could be asset duplication. For large projects on an HDD you'll sometimes want multiple copies of texture, lighting or asset data so that the HDD's slow arm can reach the data more quickly if the arm is far from the original copy on disc. So you might have lots of duplicates of similar assets to speed up arm access. On an SSD which is significantly faster, you don't need to duplicate these large files.

(Take with a big pinch of salt though, I read this a while back and it could be totally incorrect. Way better compression also sounds likely but it's a BIG difference right.)

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Pretty sure the Avengers difference isn't entirely accurate, by the by, my Avengers install on PS5 is around 80 gigs.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The main reason for the difference is that Sony is recommending and pushing developers to use more compression methods and methodologies when packaging their game to make sure it ends up being small. I doubt its enforced in any way, but they have probably made it easier to do.

Honest question, how often is that the case? I saw it being talked about before launch but not really after it, are there many examples of smaller file sizes on Series S?
I wish there was a good comparison site, but here's a news post from early on:
Some Xbox Exclusives Have Much Smaller File Sizes On Xbox Series S Than Series X - GameSpot

Gears 5
Series X: 71.9GB
Series S: 55.1GB

Forza Horizon 4
Series X: 84.6GB
Series S: 71.4GB

Sea of Thieves
Series X: 46.6GB
Series S: 17.02GB

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Presumably the Series X has something similar, because as far as I understand it, it has a 1TB drive wheras only 802 GB is actually usable. I'm guessing both reserve space for their OS specific features, eg Quick Resume, Rest, updates etc, though the PS5 appears to reserve more after the fact.

I don't think this is true because the other category on PS5 expands and shrinks depending on which games are installed where's onXbox it's always the same and barely present on the storage expansion for the Series consoles.

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Those Xbox numbers aren't accurate. It definitely says big numbers in the store but most games aren't actually that big on your system. For example, on my Series X the next gen version of THPS 1+2 is only 22GB.

That's the only one on your list that I have installed currently, but I know a bunch of others are smaller than they say in the store. People need to look at the actual sizes on their hard dries and report back to this thread.

Are you in the States? I believe UK installs generally have some EU language packs installed as standard. I'm not sure if that's the case for Tony Hawk's or not.

I don't think this is true because the other category on PS5 expands and shrinks depending on which games are installed where's onXbox it's always the same and barely present on the storage expansion for the Series consoles.

Yeap, I mentioned this towards the end of the post you've quoted.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Very interesting comparison. That conclusion is pretty funny considering Sony got some flak for their smaller SSD. Seems like there's a real chance you can install significantly more games on a PS5 than a Series X, depending on the games.

May 14, 2021
Looks like OP is using file sizes listed in the store, and not actual install sizes because mine aren't remotely close to what's listed in the op or the Xbox store.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
For all the hoopla over the storage sizes, the ps5 appears to have ended up with more usable storage thanks to the ssd. At least for current gen games. Props to Cerny

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm questioning if the OP really owns two copies of each of those games on both devices. Firstly, because why would you buy the same game twice that often. Second, because others in this thread say they have much lower install sizes on their Xbox.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The delta on Avengers is insane. Even better compression doesn't properly explain that.

May 14, 2021
For all the hoopla over the storage sizes, the ps5 appears to have ended up with more usable storage thanks to the ssd. At least for current gen games. Props to Cerny
Doubt it. This appears to be related to the fact that optional language packs aren't being installed on my PS5 whereas they are on XSX. If I go into manage software on PS5 I can install additional languages.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I just checked a couple of these games on my Series X, and.. that size info isn't accurate at all. Not sure where they came from.

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doubt it. This appears to be related to the fact that optional language packs aren't being installed on my PS5 whereas they are on XSX.

Which country are you based? I've not seen an option to download language packs, though it's not something I've necessarily looked out for either. To my knowledge most EU installs/games come with EU or PAL specific language packs pre-installed. I could be wrong though.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Add Necromunda: Hired Gun to the list. Not sure about Series consoles but its:

15GB PS5
29GB PS4

Smart delivery is supposed to avoid that I think.
I think you're right, based on every thing MS has released about it. Disc games are fuzzy, but digital it shouldnt be an issue.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Most of those Xbox sizes are just the (exact) size that the store says they require. A bunch of them aren't accurate. Some are more than that, some are less.

Very few are the exact size that the store estimates.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Since there seem to inaccuracies with the install sizes in the OP, possibly due to regional differences, store sizes vs actual sizes, etc; there's not much to discuss here. As such, the thread is locked.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
You're definitely using the store page sizes on Xbox, because you wrote exactly what a lot of them show. They aren't that much on the actual storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.