• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
https://webcache.googleusercontent....MJ:[URL]https://www.playstation.com/is-is/ps5

Unbenannt.PNG

Edit: the link doesn't seem to work correctly

Edti2: For what it's worth, this is an unfinished product site and they will have to say more about BC, however, I think their messaging with BC has been unclear, even with the "4000" games will be playable. I'd just like to more how they're handlind this.

Last edited:

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
People will overreact, but it probably just means there'll be a software update that you download at launch, for BC.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to assume for now the non-compatible PS4 games are equivalent in number to the amount of touchscreen only Switch games.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We already know that not every PS4 game will run on PS5 at launch. This is old news.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Not concerned but this is exactly what I expected, they been working hard behind the scenes since the PS4 100 games issue. I don't think they had BC even half way working. Where there's smoke there's fire and those statements were written and spoken like they were for a reason.

I think people expecting "most of their games" at launch will be disappointed. But eventually they'll work.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Better hope they dont go the 360 on xbone bc route of only whitelisted games.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to assume for now the non-compatible PS4 games are equivalent in number to the amount of touchscreen only Switch games.
How are these features comparable? Or can't there be criticism against Sony without bringing up one of the other 2?

Backwards Compatibility will work probably like right now in Xbox One.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Yeaaaa Sony has to absolutely nail BC or it's just not gonna happen for me until 2-3 years out.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
The fact you unironically put "Time to be concerned" is hilarious.

I have internet so it'll be fine on my machine

Deleted member 64517

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2020
Didn't they say all PS4 titles are B/C with selected games getting an enhanced mode? I guess the question is whether this is available at launch or not.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think there's much reason to be concerned. The big guns will be compatible likely at launch (God of War, Spiderman, Horizon, etc...), and lots will follow.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
"Sony has issued an update to clarify its stance on backwards compatibility for the PlayStation 5, saying the upcoming console will support an "overwhelming majority" of the 4,000-plus existing PS4 titles. Prior to the update, Sony's Mark Cerny, the system architect for the PS5 who detailed its full hardware specifications in a live-streamed presentation on Wednesday, said the console would support "almost all" of the top 100 PS4 titles."

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/20/...bility-ps4-games-support-majority-plus-titles

???

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, we know there simply is guaranteed backwards compatibility for all games (nor is there for Xbox).

So, there's no reason to be concerned about anything as there's zero new information here. Did you want them to lie and promise 100% of PS4 games to work?

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
This either means: Limited number of games playable or limited number of games that have PS5 support, but can run in PS4 Pro/PS4 mode. It's bad wording.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I've forgotten where Sony were at with BC, was it that the top 100 games are going to have enhancements and the "overwhelming majority" will be BC at base level?

Because this just sounds like a small sample

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like PS3 BC as well, but I'll take what I can get. Hopefully eventually the majority of PS4 games will play on PS5.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Not a big deal, as long as the update doesn't take as long as PS4's suspend feature did.

Really, it just means that they'll be working on this feature and testing games right up to launch, whereas the consoles will have an outdated firmware given they'll be starting production around now.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I just hope both consoles will support BC well. Right now my Xbox One cant play like 90% of my Xbox 360 games and 99% of my OG Xbox games and I was beyond disappointed when they announced that no game will be further added to the BC program.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I am not buying a new console to play old games on it. People need to get over this. I'd rather have Sony focus 100% on next-gen shit than on old PlayStation 4 games.

I know that it can be convenient to have this option, but it really shouldn't be a main "selling point" for a next-gen device.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have any concern. Microsoft's solution is not 100% as well. It's just a way of wording to not get sued to bits. The overwhelming majority will work and a large portion boosted as well.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
With all of the amazing games in PS4's catalog, we've devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We're expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We're currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

We've already been through this no? So no, not time to be concerned. I expect any games that don't make it in by launch will be rolled out in patches.

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Concerned? About what? It's been known for a while that not every single PS4 game will work on PS5 BC. Or are you concerned it's not coming at launch?

www.polygon.com

PS5 will be backward-compatible with ‘almost all’ top 100 PS4 games at launch

Testing is going well, lead system architect Mark Cerny said
Yes. I want my games playabale at launch. This console has a PS4 and PS4 Pro mode, I really don't know why they struggle with the messaging this much.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
If the PS5 doesn't support all or nearly all PS4 games, I will never buy another console from Sony again. I'm sick and tired of them doing this, and I'm going to need to vote with my wallet because BC is an absolute must for me on consoles that could easily support it like this. It'll suck missing out on God of War and such, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make to get my voice heard on this matter.

Chossen

Nov 26, 2017
I think is just the rumoured Sony's Smart delivery system

nothing to do with the standard backward compatibility