• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 4, 2018
PS5, Xbox Series X, And PC Part Shortages Won't End Soon, Says AMD
AMD CEO Lisa Su expects production to start catching up to demand only in the second half of 2021
www.gamespot.com

AMD CEO Lisa Su expects production to start catching up to demand only in the second half of 2021

AMD CEO Lisa Su has indicated that supply shortages for gaming consoles, desktop CPUs, and GPUs will continue until the second half of 2021, with the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, and Series S most affected.

The news was included in AMD's full-year financial earnings (via Tom's Hardware), which showed the company surpassing its past earning records with a strong Q4. This was in part thanks to the launch of a slew of AMD-powered products, including both current generation consoles, AMD's Zen 3-powered Ryzen CPUs, and RX 6000 series graphics cards.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds about right. A lot of shortages for stuff. I know like certain appliances are all sold out for months. Pretty crazy.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I wonder how PS5 production compares to Xbox Series X/S production. Both systems are supply constrained so basically who ever makes more takes the early installed base lead.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
we'll see. theres a ton of pent up demand. most stuff i look up online is still out of stock or briefly available

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
The demand is just insane for PS5, probably way above what even PlayStation expected.

There is definitely a supply shortage, but the demand has apparently been astronomically above expectations.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
sounds about right. holiday season 2021 is going to be nuts.

also, expect a lot of cross gen hard carrying some high profile releases

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Series S is by far easiest to find where i live. Still few retailers have it in stock. PS5 and Series X tho... lol.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PS5's demand is just out of this world. Second half seens right, I hope they are able to meet the demand by then.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Series S is by far easiest to find where i live. Still few retailers have it in stock. PS5 and Series X tho... lol.
Same. Seems like Series S is easier to get while the digital only PS5 is almost impossible but I guess Sony wanted the option out there you can get one for $399 even if it's like winning the lotto.

Axis

Dec 9, 2017
I have no problem waiting until later this year to get a PS5. I have a bunch of games that I still need to finish on the PS4, plus I don't like to jump in until they get all the bugs sorted out.

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
I didn't have an issue getting either next-gen console, just got a series x last week. I must have crazy timings

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Well shit. I'm going to have racked up enough Microsoft Store credit to buy a Series X in February and was hoping to have been able to order one before March but now I have doubts of that happening

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I have no problem waiting until later this year to get a PS5. I have a bunch of games that I still need to finish on the PS4, plus I don't like to jump in until they get all the bugs sorted out.
And a decent library of new titles. I'm waiting for GT7 and Ratchet, one will make it this year but who knows when and the other is a mystery. Once again this gen will be filled with delays and even worse with the pandemic.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
series s seems to get much easier to find in stock in canada as well.
x and ps5 on the other hand.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
Thoughts..
Could these supply constraints push people to get Gamepass Ultimate? Now I don't remember how MS 1 Party release looks until second half but IF there are some interesting stuff being released on gamepass day one.. and if you don't want to buy a Series S.. then one could enjoy those games through Xcloud (where available).

I do not think it will make such a difference, people will most likely wait.. but there might be some uptick in GPU subs to at least enjoy MS 1 party games on PC/Mobile while XSX is more readily available.

Axis

Dec 9, 2017
And a decent library of new titles. I'm waiting for GT7 and Ratchet, one will make it this year but who knows when and the other is a mystery. Once again this gen will be filled with delays and even worse with the pandemic.

I'm right there with you on that.

It also helps that a lot of games are going to be cross-gen for the foreseeable future. Would I prefer to play a game like Horizon: Forbidden West in all its glory on the PS5? Of course, but at least I can still sink my teeth into it on the PS4 until it's less of a headache to upgrade.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Had to give up on the idea of a new Radeon and it seems Nvidia's about to lap them in production on that front.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Well as long as I can get a PS5 and Series X in time for GT7 and Halo Infinite I'm good lol.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It's absurd, but not unexpected. I think both consoles will get almost a "soft relaunch" once stock stabalises.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This was expected. Good to see AMD getting out there and bringing it up as well.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that's horrible. So I guess she expects this to apply to the GPU market as well?

EDIT: yes, PC parts as well. Wow...

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Thoughts..
Could these supply constraints push people to get Gamepass Ultimate? Now I don't remember how MS 1 Party release looks until second half but IF there are some interesting stuff being released on gamepass day one.. and if you don't want to buy a Series S.. then one could enjoy those games through Xcloud (where available).

I do not think it will make such a difference, people will most likely wait.. but there might be some uptick in GPU subs to at least enjoy MS 1 party games on PC/Mobile while XSX is more readily available.

xcloud doesn't seem to be in a rush to become any better though, they still stream at720p from one s hardware as far as i know.
by the time they update their servers, exclusives arrive etc.
hw shortages should already be settled.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
They could have sold these for $599 for the entire 2020/2021.

And at that point in time might as well wait for 2023 for the slim/pro model.

Slim probably if 5nm capacity clears up. Not sure whether they would do a Pro on 5nm node unless they are to go with some sort of MCM solution or increase the die size somewhat to get a sizable performance increase to justify a new model.

Oct 27, 2017
My soon to be 14 year old nephew is doing a bunch of family jobs trying to save $$$ for a PS5 at his bday in May. Lol, I hope he can patiently sit on that $ coz he will be waiting a while at this rate

Oct 27, 2017
They could have sold these for $599 for the entire 2020/2021.

Slim probably if 5nm capacity clears up. Not sure whether they would do a Pro on 5nm node unless they are to go with some sort of MCM solution or increase the die size somewhat to get a sizable performance increase to justify a new model.
Honestly if they keep up sales momentum thru all of 2021 like this, i don't think a Pro in 2023 is even necessary. Just make a 5nm slim, get it as low as you can while still making profit, and rake in the cash from ppl still thirsty off 2020-22 Ps5 hype.

as much I'd like to see a Ps5 slim for $299 in September 2023, I think they would do well even at $349 or $399. With disc that is.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Find a friend that's got a bot, that's the only way to get one at this point.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
www.gamespot.com

Kind of sucks have been trying to finish my Kids PC build since Late October with a 1650 Super but i cannot find one under 300-400 dollars that is not used and for the Price of a 3060 TI is ridiculous.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
at least Sony have no need to rush software with this level of demand. Should be good for 2022 releases.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Had to give up on the idea of a new Radeon and it seems Nvidia's about to lap them in production on that front.
Seems? Nvidia gets restocks to retailers in the US at least on what seems a biweekly basis. Best Buy has drops every two weeks, whereas I've never seen a meaningful Radeon 6000 series drop besides launch.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's not hard to get a Series S in Australia at the moment, they've been in stock for ages. For anyone who didn't realize that was the case and wants one:

Gamesmen
Amazon AU
JB Hi-Fi
Big W
Edit: Looks to be just about everywhere. EB Games, Target and Harvey Norman have them too.

Keep missing Series X whenever they show up, though. Super glad I managed to get a PS5.

Last edited:

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
So should I not even think of upgrading my PC before the end of summer? Or will there be a redoubling of shortages with back to school and christmas coming up?