• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I'm 100% objective about this as i'm both PC and console player. It seems so unreal but i actually think next gen consoles are better than most of gaming pc's out there.

According to steam stats less than 5% of people have GPU like GTX 2080ti,2080 super,2070/2080 SLI. PS5 has 10.3tf rdna 2 and its about 50% more tf efficient per core compared GCN architecture which in overly simplistic calculation is on par with Nvidia flops which means 10tf rdna2 = 10tf nvidia).

Ryzen 8c/16t 3.5ghz
16gb gddr6
10.3tf rdna2
5.5gb/s SSD

These are crazy specs for,probably, 500$ machine.Equal spec gaming PC would cost you at least 1000$.
Ryzen is actually a very powerful gaming CPU compared to Jaguar. Back in 2013 when ps4&x1 were released,even mid range gaming Pc's were ahead of newly released consoles. This time around its a totally different story.

All in all, in my opinion, this is a great thing for gaming overall.
Consoles are lead platform for last decade so having those specs as a lowest common denominator is a truly amazing. Big props to Sony, Microsoft and AMD for a huge leap forward in gaming hardware.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: correction, my bad, apparently it will cost this much currently.
-

"Equal spec gaming PC would cost you at least 1000$."

I don't believe this is true... and definitely won't be when the console releases.

And when it does release, people will have caught up in specs a bit overall too. These specs are now locked in, PC are not.

Last edited:

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I know very little but probably at this point it's higher than 95%. Think a lot of people waiting to upgrade.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
lb. for lb. they absolutely are.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

I don't believe this is true... and definitely won't be when the console releases.

And when it does release, people will have caught up in specs a bit overall too. These specs are now locked in, PC are not.

Way more than $1000. Certainly in the UK.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
That's often the case with a gen switch. The 360 and ps3 where also more powerful than a lot of PC's back in the day. The PS4/one gen was a bit of an outlier with how far behind of PC's it was when it launched.

Oct 31, 2017
They are definitely more powerful than my PC lol but that's because I skipped the 20 series cards and I'm waiting for Nvidia's 30 series. I'm sure there are quite a few PC gamers out there like me waiting for the new cards to upgrade their rigs.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Removing to stop comments, discussion has been done!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
I think a lot of people really need to take a look at the average PC running Steam and realize that their super beastly PC rig is not the norm around the world.

Oct 27, 2017
Right now yeah probably. But they are also 6 months out from release. GPU and CPU market will be very different then as well.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
They are but the benefit of playing on a 1080ti is still getting those high frame rates by lowering resolution

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

Most won't unless it becomes a minimum spec requirement. If they can still game at 1080p on their GTX 970s-1060s, they probably won't upgrade.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The thing is the PCs will be constantly getting upgrades rather than take a quantum leap each gen.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure what your saying here because that link explicitly says it'd cost more than a $1000.

Consoles have the advantage of economies of scale so you'd expect they'd be cheaper like for like but new generations of hardware will come out etc and it's easy to say just upgrade the GPU in a pc.

Feb 6, 2019
Even PS4 is better than a lot of computers running steam. Sooo many people using old or very cheap cards, which play Leage of Legends, Gmod, Counterstrike etc just fine.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
And the second link is around $600.
Second link is $600 cause it's some PC Master Race bullshit.
"Okay, so we have a powerful GPU and CPU combo that optimistically costs us $300." when you'd be hardpressed to find even GPU for that price.
It's make-believe, that's all.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Its higher than 95%. Its a very very good Ryzen CPU (less cache) running at good frequencies paired with a 2070 esq GPU with low level API's and a solid to class leading SSD. They are monster machines for the price. This will change when Nvidia 3xxx and AMD RDNA2 cards launch for PC - that will change the baseline the consoles match up to down in price a good bit. But as of this moment they are very good PC's, better than 95% of 'gaming' PC's sold by volume for absolute sure.

Note this is how console gens are SUPPOSED to be. This is not unique - the Xbox 360, when announced, had the only GPU with unified pixel/vertex shaders (By the time it launched ATI had released a desktop part with higher specs, much like I expect Nvidia/AMD to do this time as well).

The PS4/Xbox One were such a BAD generation. 8 year previous generation and they launched with low power off the shelf PC components. Welcome back real console generational leaps!

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yet I constantly read people on here say they'll get the PC version of Xbox exclusives.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The thing is the PCs will be constantly getting upgrades rather than take a quantum leap each gen.
Sometimes it takes those consoles to have a quantum leap before developers start utilizing the PC better. Don't worry, some console gamers will still promote the console exclusives in every PC tech discussion.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That first article literally states it'd cost more than £1000
Yes... for the third time lol.. the person I was replying to said "way more".

Second link is $600 cause it's some PC Master Race bullshit.
"Okay, so we have a powerful GPU and CPU combo that optimistically costs us $300." when you'd be hardpressed to find even GPU for that price.
It's make-believe, that's all.
Fair enough.

This would need to be done at launch to be accurate, though. Building a Ps5 equivalent then will be a decent about cheaper.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's £1160-£1260 and doesn't include an O/S. Also you would need a better GPU to match XSX.

Why do people still use this as an argument in 2020?

You can run Windows for free without any major restrictions, other then not being able to change your color theme and a watermark.

or ya know buy a 4$ key off ebay and be done with it.

You can even opt not to go for Windows.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
"Way more" it is not.

You can get an OS for £5.

Also, you would do this at launch with current prices, not now anyway.

It's way more, around $1500 and you can't get an O/S for £5 unless you are using an illegal method to do so.

Also like I said, you need to go up again to beat the XSX.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's way more, around $1500 and you can't get an O/S for £5 unless you are using an illegal method to do so.

Also like I said, you need to go up again to beat the XSX.
Sorry, but this is false.

It's not around $1500 either, and it won't be at launch which is the real point.

Maybe you're minted but to me an extra £260 is way more.
There would absolutely be way to bring that down. Sales, deals, etc... very often when a conversation like this comes up someone is able to build an equivalent system for less than the estimates thrown around.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I said "a bit overall".

They said "way more".

And the second link is around $600.
The second link is not a like for like comparison, there's a lot of optimistic assumptions in it, it straight up ignored a comparable SSD and 4k blu-ray though granted for a PC you don't need a 4k blu-ray player.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not upgrading my Gen3 SSD to a Gen4 one anytime soon so absolutely for sure it's better than my PC. Not to mention the advantage of coding to the metal.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
It's probably true. Next-gen though with the focus on raytracing and likely resolution reconstruction, current and future RTX gpus might be better equipped for those workloads. Even if the raw power is less than consoles, they could still come out with similar or better performance.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty obvious that for at least 6 months consoles are going to b better value compared to the PC equivalent specs and also better than what 90% of PC gamers are using if they release this year.

Jan 21, 2019

Well your belief is sadly wrong...
The equivalent GPU RTX 2080 is already 700-800 where I live. Let's say the RTX 3060 is 2080 performance and let's say the cost 400-600. Still absurdly expensive. Then you need an SSD which should be above Xbox and below PS5 so that's another 100-150 for the SSD. I bought a 300€ SSD this year that the Playstation just shits on. So yeah, even at the end of the year, entry into PC gaming with equivalent power will certainly be way above 1000 bucks (depending where you live).

Last edited:

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
can we wait when the consoles will be released and then look at pc hardware and compare it how it performs in games ?

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
The steam stats on hardware used to show it's probably above 95% but they are down right now.
Wait for them to come back online.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 100% objective about this as i'm both PC and console player. It seems so unreal but i actually think next gen consoles are better than most of gaming pc's out there.

According to steam stats less than 5% of people have GPU like GTX 2080ti,2080 super,2070/2080 SLI. PS5 has 10.3tf rdna 2 and its about 50% more tf efficient per core compared GCN architecture which in overly simplistic calculation is on par with Nvidia flops which means 10tf rdna2 = 10tf nvidia).

Ryzen 8c/16t 3.5ghz
16gb gddr6
10.3tf rdna2
5.5gb/s SSD

These are crazy specs for,probably, 500$ machine.

it will be nice to see when early nextgen-only multiplat games start coming out, and this hardware is used to render a 30fps game. There will be a big wave of upgrades to get PCs ready to render those games at high framerates.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Depends on where you make the performance cutting point for a "Gaming PC" because that is a very broad term.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this year and the next, but in 2 years any budget gpu will be able to compete with them.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
These console specs are impressive, but I think it's bigger consequence of the hardware this gen being a bit weak CPU-wise at launch and lowering expectations rather than next gen being extremely strong. Even when this gen was announced, people were down a bit on the Jaguar cores. People were much more excited about GDDR5. Historically speaking, consoles often launch with a strong point in one particular technical aspect or another (which is not to say that they are always stronger than the best PC hardware at launch) which pushes PC development along. The PS2-era pushing much more sophisticated geometry for example.