• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The closed beta for Amazon's New World has gone live, and while plenty of gamers are enjoying the game, players who have systems equipped with RTX 3090 graphics cards are having their gaming rigs ruined by the upcoming MMORPG.

Reports on the New World subreddit indicate that trying to launch New World while using an RTX 3090 will cause it to completely fry, forcing those impacted to contact manufacturers for refunds or replacements. The issue seems to be affecting EVGA RTX 3090 cards more than other GPUs, though it's worth noting that people who use other versions of the 3090 have reported problems with overheating and dangerous levels of power consumption.

Overall, this is quite a bizarre issue, and hopefully Amazon's developers will be able to identify what's causing this problem to occur. If you're an RTX 3090 owner, I highly recommend that you avoid playing New World until Amazon's developers release an official statement on the matter and confirm that the issue has been solved. You might be okay if you decide to play the game, but I wouldn't take the risk — especially since the RTX 3090 is incredibly expensive and is in very short supply.

www.windowscentral.com

Amazon's New World is brutally bricking RTX 3090 graphics cards

The most powerful GPU in the world has been brought to its knees.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
WTF
How can a game just brick your card? Not even the most hardcore of testing software can do that, the gpu has protections that should kick in.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The same issues are being posted on the official forums as well. $2000 GPUs breaking due to a closed beta... fucking insane and scary.

I have a 3080 and played the Beta for a few hours today but after seeing these I'm.. super cautious even though everything has been running pretty smoothly so far.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Yikes. Is it because of no frame limits on menu screen?

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Dunno game was very demanding from what played even the frikkin main menu you have to wait in queue for a while runs my card pretty hot but i doubt it can actually brick a card unless the cooling solution on it is crap.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Well, that is a massive yikes indd. New World doesn't have some hidden mining tech, right?

I wonder what causes this.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
Overall, this is quite a bizarre issue, and hopefully Amazon's developers will be able to identify what's causing this problem to occur.
I don't think developers have access to things that can cause any damage to your hw. If anything, this looks like Nvidia's fault.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
No 3090 here, but I'm staying the hell away from this beta regardless.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
this is pretty much the problem of Nvidia to fix and the fault lies with them than developers

there's no way to brick a modern GPU (or really any hardware) because of a bug or whatever, because we don't have such direct access to the hardware level to inflict such any more

what I think is that there's some hardware flaw that's causing it to brick easily from unrestricted high framerates

don't really think Amazon developers would even be able to identify specifically what causes it. This is in the realm of the hardware manufacturer

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is the post from the game's forum about the issue

forums.newworld.com

Issues with EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra

Good Afternoon, So after hitting the play button for New World beta the game started to load, followed immediately by fan speeds increasing to 100%, fps dropping to 0, and then my monitors turning off and my video card is no longer detected. So i reboot the PC and everything seemed to work...

So after hitting the play button for New World beta the game started to load, followed immediately by fan speeds increasing to 100%, fps dropping to 0, and then my monitors turning off and my video card is no longer detected. So i reboot the PC and everything seemed to work fine, i even tried a few other games to make sure and i had no problems. So i hit play on New World again and same thing happen but this time i heard a loud pop and now my 3090 wont get past POST on bootup.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't make any sense...

There are protections in place that should prevent anything like overheating. A game shouldn't touch something like voltages.

So uh... What?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The game is either exposing a design flaw of the card or nvidia's driver has some shitty profile for this game.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

forums.newworld.com

Good Afternoon, So after hitting the play button for New World beta the game started to load, followed immediately by fan speeds increasing to 100%, fps dropping to 0, and then my monitors turning off and my video card is no longer detected. So i reboot the PC and everything seemed to work...

Yeah that's a bit too much to be just a coincidence tbh.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Guys plenty of games have unlocked framerate in menus and they don't do this to cards

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
First time I've heard of it tbh

Main menu in this game renders the gameworld in the background for some reason it's very demanding and you have to stay on this screen as long as you queue which was around 1h for me yesterday my fans sounded like a vacuum cleaner after a few min luckily nothing happend.

Guys plenty of games have unlocked framerate in menus and they don't do this to cards

This is by far the most demanding main menu screen i have ever seen in a game.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

You don't normally spend a lot of time in menus, I assume there's a long queue in the game. If you sit on a menu screen while getting several hundreds of fps for hours, it's a serious stress test for any card. Well designed cards will not fail, but crappy, flawed designs can absolutely trip from it.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Menu framerate is irrelevant, this can happen anywhere in the game

clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

forums.newworld.com

This is exactly what happened to my 3080 while playing Mechwarrior 5. FPS was not wildly crazy (maybe 100fps) but max fans, black screen. The card is still usable for booting Windows but any sort of 3D game or Nvidia broadcast kills it. Ended up having to RMA the card because no reflash could fix the problem. (checked across 4 computers too)

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
And now I think this will be the messaging for New World. First impressions mean everything. New World is dead in the water. And yes I know FFXIV managed to persevere, but that was an extraordinary situation.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Dafuq? Is this even possible? It must be something software related, right? There is no way the game is actually breaking the cards physically....right? So this must have a software based solution................right?

Shit is scary

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You don't normally spend a lot of time in menus, I assume there's a long queue in the game. If you sit on a menu screen while getting several hundreds of fps for hours, it's a serious stress test for any card. Well designed cards will not fail, but crappy, flawed designs can absolutely trip from it.

Look at the post from the game's forum I linked. It happened to multiple people immediately, not after an hour or even a few minutes

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
And the original person who posted the issue on the game's forum never even got to the main menu so how does unlocked FPS explain that? lol

No idea lol this shouldn't even be possible i wonder what amazon has running in the background of the game. I actually thought something had installed a coin miner on my system for a min the first time i booted the game up.

Last edited: