• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to Kadath

BIG PSA REGARDING ONE OF THE CHEATS THAT COULD RUIN EVERYTHING IF YOU USE IT INCORRECTLY AT THE BOTTOM

YouTube user TheRandomizer discovered a handful of dev cheats/codes that you can enter with a USB keyboard that were presumably accidently left in the game. These don't disable trophies. Was shared on Reddit and apparently a patch is coming for this, so turn off auto updates if you want to keep this feature.

If you're rubbish at the game and are looking for infinite health or something, don't get too excited. You'll still need to play the game with these. We're basically looking at 'spawn any weapon (at your current proficiancy level) and 'reset stage (while retaining your stuff)'.

If you want to fuck around with the weapons and find your perfect build with less effort then have at it. Needless to say, these are less than ideal for folks who haven't seen all of this content anyway. You are robbing yourself of a lot of the rogue like experience by cheating but, also, fuck it. Play games how you want to play them. It's a single player game, nobody cares.

...Drop Weapons... Press & Hold Shift, Control, Alt.

Then press 1 to 0 to drop diffrent weapons from the Game at current weapon proficiency.

(On Death, you can now start with your preferred weapon of choice)

...Ship Respawn (Keep everything)...

Press & Hold Shift, Control.

Then press 4.

This will respawn you at the ship with current health, money, keys, artefacts, adrenaline level and weapon proficiency. You can also buy another set of weapon proficiency, health upgrade and artefacts at shop area once you Respawn. .....

So simply..

Start Game and Pick Weapon of Choice (Perks, Attributes)

Level Weapon Proficiency and Drop Weapon again for upgraded version.

Reach Shop, buy Health Upgrade, Weapon Proficiency or Artefacts you want or need.

Then Respawn at ship and repeat until your happy with your build.

IMPORTANT:

Do not use Ship Respawn (Shift, Ctrl & 4) after Biome 3, or during Biome 4. (Unless you've already beaten the Game.)

You return to Ship Location in Biome 1, with no way to return to last Biome you reached.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Wow this really feels like old school cheats back in the N64/PS1 days!

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the new update that is supposed to be released today won't fix this. Would be cool if they add it in as a bonus once you finish the game multiple times for example without having to resort to using a KB.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Um this is really cool and breathe life into the game for people who got too frustrated. All they want to do is enjoy their $70. Enjoy while you could!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they straight up add a cheat code terminal into the game

Just have it disable trophies

Raigor

May 14, 2020

Housemarque have informed me a patch is inbound! - If you want too take advantage, best disconnect from PS5 from Online

Note: by the way I have already completed Returnal.

Important Update at very bottom! A MUST READ!!

All Credit goes too TheRandomizer on YouTube ( link to their video - https://youtu.be/L5PpXU0DReU )

You can find a few other codes in his Video Description. I have chose too show ones I find more useful for people who are struggling with the Game.

...Drop Weapons... Press & Hold Shift, Control, Alt.

Then press 1 to 0 to drop diffrent weapons from the Game at current weapon proficiency.

(On Death, you can now start with your preferred weapon of choice)

...Ship Respawn (Keep everything)...

Press & Hold Shift, Control.

Then press 4.

This will respawn you at the ship with current health, money, keys, artefacts, adrenaline level and weapon proficiency. You can also buy another set of weapon proficiency, health upgrade and artefacts at shop area once you Respawn. .....

So simply..

Start Game and Pick Weapon of Choice (Perks, Attributes)

Level Weapon Proficiency and Drop Weapon again for upgraded version.

Reach Shop, buy Health Upgrade, Weapon Proficiency or Artefacts you want or need.

Then Respawn at ship and repeat until your happy with your build.

Now, enjoy Returnal and the Grind. Hope this helps players who don't have the time, encountered crashes or just find game a bit challenging.

DO NOT USE 3 or 7 freezes when holding (Shift and Control Only). 1,2,5,6,9,0 Doesn't do anything.

Important Update - Thanks to [ImportanceActual3540]

Do not use Ship Respawn (Shift, Ctrl & 4) after Biome 3, or during Biome 4. (Unless you've already beaten the Game.)

You return too Ship Location in Biome 1, with no way to return too last Biome you reached.

Thanks Again ImportanceActual3540 for this find.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Is spreading this good for anything? Like it's being discussed in the OT, no?

I get that some people might want to cheat, but wouldn't it cheapen the experience? Plus the devs seem to want to patch it. I don't know

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017

I get that some people might want to cheat, but wouldn't it cheapen the experience? Plus the devs seem to want to patch it. I don't know
It can cheapen the experience, but it's a player's choice to make and decide what experience they want. No different than cheats in any other game, if you can remember a time when those were a thing.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when we celebrated having cheat codes in every single game? Good times.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

It's being patched so does it really matter? If anything spreading the word should be done to keep them from patching the cheat codes out.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Is it bad for anything?

I guess not, I just figured it's one of them things that people wouldn't actively spread. But then again it's a single player game so it's not like it's going to impact the game/community negatively. At least substantially

I just always see people here arguing about not spreading leaks etc, but then again, I'm all for leaks so please go ahead

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
First the cheats were free

Then we had to pay for cheats as DLC

Now they're free again, but now we have to purchase keyboards to access cheats and tinker with the emulator settings

Where does this stop?! 🤮

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
But but but...muh developers' vision!

But wait. The developers left this in. So are the cheats part of their vision? Maybe they were an Easter egg meant to be discovered. But don't the cheats trivialize the game loop? How am I going to condescend to the noobs with jobs and kids asking for a save system now? I am so confused.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Finally, a console game that does not require $100 dongle/external device to cheat. :D

By the way, this just reminds me a bit with GTA San Andreas mobile/Android where you can have a keyboard connected to input cheats like PC version.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
First the cheats were free

Then we had to pay for cheats as DLC

Now they're free again, but now we have to purchase keyboards to access cheats and tinker with the emulator settings

Where does this stop?! 🤮
It's the Nintendo Amibo/mew pike all approqch. Typical Sony always copying Nintendo….

/s

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does it work with the online leaderboard ? That's the only questionable thing I see here, although it's easy to cut the access to unpatched version.

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
The death of cheats in games is so shit, and the fact that they're now some hidden thing that need to be patched out is even more shit.

Games are meant to be about fun.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I feel so out of touch that the existence of a cheat code being an aberration needing patching seems depressing. Leave them in, you cowards.

This is entirely harmless. It even used to be normal!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I can't be bothered to do this, especially with it being patched, but it is tempting solely for not having to start with the sidearm. Give me the most base-level of any other weapon to start. I hate having to taptaptaptaptaptaptaptap over and over a hundred times until I find one each run, and the auto-fire is too slow to be useful in the fights Returnal has.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Tried yesterday only to find out that the Shift keys on one keyboard don't work and I can't find the receiver of the other one.

Looks like I won't be cheating the game and myself.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This actually sounds fun as hell, gonna give it a try

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
This is wild.
So disabling auto-update basically makes this permanent if you want?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are robbing yourself of a lot of the rogue like experience by cheating but, also, fuck it. Play games how you want to play them. It's a single player game, nobody cares.
"The roguelike experience" often boils down to playing the same content over and over and over because the punishment for death is so extreme and the upgrades are so random. I honestly don't have any problem with using hard/persistent saves or minor cheats just to take off the cruel edge that the genre has.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I don't think they break the game that deeply, biome 4-6 is basically a different run and you can just spawn your weapon of choice. You still gotta make it through the rooms lol
It's a big deal, but not that big a deal.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they break the game that deeply, biome 4-6 is basically a different run and you can just spawn your weapon of choice. You still gotta make it through the rooms lol
It's a big deal, but not that big a deal.

Agreed. Just look at this as adding a Hades-like 'choose your weapon' option at the start of your run.