• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
PS1/PSP Classics are launching across the world throughout June. The new PS Classics are drip feeding through as part of the PS+ Premium subscription, but one of the positives of this scheme is that many of these games are purchasable individually. In fact up until this point, ALL downloadable games on both Sony and Microsoft's subscription service are purchasable individually. With the only exception being PS3 streamed games.

Well not any more because two Namco games (Tekken 2, Mr Driller) and Resident Evil DC are not available to purchase, and are ONLY available as part of the sub, despite all the other PS1 Classics being available to buy. Ridge Racers 2 also showed early signs of not being purchasable when that leaked on the store.

I don't get annoyed at a lot of things in the world of gaming but this is straight up bullshit. What possible reason can Namco and Bandai have for preventing purchases. Even Sony, who could be holding their games back to drive up sub numbers, are offering these games to buy.

Tekken 3
Ridge Racer Type 4
Dino Crisis
Resident Evil 1-3

None of these games will be available outside of PS+ if this continues.

EDIT: Oh and one Sony title is subscription only as well! Super Stardust Portable. Why is Sony excluding games from being purchasable.

Last edited:

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
Any chance that this will change when the service officially launches? Ridge Racer 2 and Tekken 2 were the two that I was probably going to buy (since I don't have a subscription), would be disappointed if I can't do that

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Probably there's some legal reason why they can't sell these games, but can put on a subscription service.

I think it's good that games like this can still be released.

Tho RE was available to buy on ps3/vita

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
That's pretty annoying, hopefully it's something that changes over time and not sign off more to come. All of these games really should be available to everyone on all platforms these days.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Someone mentioned RE shows up at 9.99 after you claim it to your library with Premium. Wonder if that at least works?

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
You better be about to sell me enhanced ports of the PS1 RE trilogy at your showcase capcom

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Guessing it's some weird license shit as doesn't seem to be any reason to want less money for the same work.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Of course not. Capcom wants to pretend the original versions of RE 1-3 don't exist. But seriously it might be because they would rather get you to buy future compilations with these games on them.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Some publishers will likely want to be paid upfront for limited subscription availability than have unlimited availability and rely on the consumer to purchase their back catalogue.

edit: Either that or they want to sell enhanced ports or bundled collections down the line

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I really wouldn't complicate this any more than it needs to be. Sony likely made a deal with these devs to put their games in the high tier as an incentive for people to subscribe. It's an obvious play and basically free money for the devs.

It does surprise me a bit, since you could argue they'd make more money letting people buy them, but who knows. I really expected Sony to keep their own games behind the sub since they're the ones with the primary interest in driving subscriptions.

If anything, it could be temporary. We might be able to buy them down the line. I will be compulsively "claiming" any games I previously owned as well on the off chance stuff gets sub-gated in the future (though there's no evidence that would happen).

Maybe games need a price in a system to claim even if they aren't sold separately?

Most likely. Note that the store shows the games as having a 100% discount from Plus.

OP
OP

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I really wouldn't complicate this any more than it needs to be. Sony likely made a deal with these devs to put their games in the high tier as an incentive for people to subscribe. It's an obvious play and basically free money for the devs.
I know it's easy to blame Sony these days, but this is 100% on Capcom and Namco. Sony are selling their PS1 games. They're not locking anything behind the sub.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 games are all subscription & streaming only.
I think they're talking about PS1 classics purchased on a PS3, if the cross-buy benefit still works if they're bought on PS3 now. But I don't think anybody knows this for sure at the moment, I would hope it's still honored.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're talking about PS1 classics purchased on a PS3, if the cross-buy benefit still works if they're bought on PS3 now. But I don't think anybody knows this for sure at the moment, I would hope it's still honored.
Ohhhh, thanks for the clarification.

Yes, purchases are still honored. Wild Arms & Syphon Filter both showed as games I could just add to my library because I purchased them on my PS3. Shane M

Oct 30, 2017
Do they really hate our money THAT MUCH ?

This is ridiculous....

All games shouldn't be locked behind some kind of subscription service and have the option to purchase them separately :\

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I'm going to say it's early launch issues. I own Wild Arms as a PS One Classic on my PS3 and Vita, yet under the same PSN account the price of the game is showing up as $9.99 when I try to claim it on my PS5.

I'm just going to wait and see if they'll fix it over time.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I am not surprised by this at all. Of course any Sony owned games can made for separate purchase with no fuss, but I was not holding my breath that 3rd parties would allow their classic games to both be streamed and available for separate purchase in the same negociation.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
So my previous purchase don't count? And I'll have to sign up for the service for the privilege of buying the games yet again? Well that doesn't seem reasonable or fair.

Hoping it's just new launch issues.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps Sony convinced them to only sell the games after they've been on Plus for a few months or something? Hopefully, at least. I would really like to buy REDC, and I hope that a game launching as subscription-only doesn't necessarily mean it's permanently like that.

So my previous purchase don't count? And I'll have to sign up for the service for the privilege of buying the games yet again? Well that doesn't seem reasonable or fair.

Hoping it's just new launch issues.
Your previous purchase should carry over based on what Sony said previously, though in the case of Resident Evil Director's Cut, it's important to note that in North America, the game we got on PS3 was REDC DualShock Version., which is a different release than the original REDC (different soundtrack, DualShock support, etc.), so if you bought that before, then you don't get this release. They're technically two different games.

Also, you don't have to be subscribed to PS+ to buy PS1 Classics. It's just that only some PS1 Classics can be bought. The rest are subscription-only.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'm going to say it's early launch issues. I own Wild Arms as a PS One Classic on my PS3 and Vita, yet under the same PSN account the price of the game is showing up as $9.99 when I try to claim it on my PS5.

I'm just going to wait and see if they'll fix it over time.

That's odd and definitely shouldn't be the case. I bought Wild Arms on the PS3 years ago on my U.S. account and today it showed up as free to download.

OP
OP

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Do they really hate our money THAT MUCH ?

This is ridiculous....

All games shouldn't be locked behind some kind of subscription service and have the option to purchase them separately :\
This is what I can't understand. Theyll be paid a flat fee to be on the sub. So why don't they want the games available to buy to make more money from people like me perfectly happy to buy them.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This especially irritates me as I already bought Resident Evil: DC and Tekken 2 on the PS3 and I don't feel I should have to pay more money to have the privilege of playing them on my PS5. Especially when Sony is just letting me download and play the games that I bought.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This especially irritates me as I already bought Resident Evil: DC and Tekken 2 on the PS3 and I don't feel I should have to pay more money to have the privilege of playing them on my PS5. Especially when Sony is just letting me download and play the games that I bought.
This is why emulation in other avenues has proven to be superior than these official methods. Companies are horrific at preserving their old stuff and making it available easily.

Capitalism is antipreservation really.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see that they had an end date. Maybe I will buy RE2 tonight and see if it carries over.

There's no purchase cut off on being eligible to upgrade your PS3-era PS1 games, if they are still purchasable on the PS3 store and they've been released on PS4/5 (and they're not one of the subscription only games) then you can buy them and then redeem the PS4/5 version for free.

OP
OP

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
My one hope with this is that Sony is still sorting out negotiations and that these games will be purchasable once that's done. But honestly the most realistic thing is that both Capcom and Namco are taking a hard 'we want control over our legacy titles release strategy' line and are blocking purchases as a result.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
With Nintendo also doing this with their retro games, they seem to treat them as something you'll spend a few hours on with your mates for nostalgia's sake and not substantially put time into

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
I'm so happy I just can play all my shit on my Steam Deck without all this subscription/rent or streaming nonsense and purchase limitations.
If I really want the big screen I could still play them all on my Series X. Good times.

It's really, really rare for me to not jump into one of the interesting services just to try them out, I'm usually always interested to at least test, but this here is a new low.
Will still use the Sony Game Pass tho.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably there's some legal reason why they can't sell these games, but can put on a subscription service.

I think it's good that games like this can still be released.

Tho RE was available to buy on ps3/vita
But both companies literally own the games that they're not allowing to be sold? Can't imagine they would have any legal issues on IP's and games they own the rights to lol.