• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

Thanks to InquisitorAles for letting me know.

I was close to buying it since its at a whooping 60% discount but yeah steer clear of this version. It also apparently lacks DLC and achievements.

Update:

Nacon's statement about the Steam release of The Sinking City

For the release of The Sinking City on Steam, published by Nacon, Frogwares posted on Twitter urging players not to buy it. We regret that Frogwares persists in disrupting the release of the Sinking City. It was Frogwares who came to Nacon to request financing for the development of the game, and to date, more than 10 million euros have been paid to Frogwares by Nacon. It was Frogwares that relied on our marketing and promotion teams, representing thousands of hours of work and several million euros worth of investment. Now that the game has been fully developed, and published, largely thanks to Nacon's money and work, Frogwares would like to revise the terms of the contract to their sole advantage. It's easy to play the victim, but all we seek is that Frogwares respect its commitments both in the contract and as demanded by the courts.

In regards to feedback on the release of the Sinking City on Steam, this is an official and complete version. However, due to a lack of cooperation with Frogwares, we are unable to integrate Steam-specific features (cloud saving/achievements). Thus, this version contains only the base game, without any additional content. Despite this, we have organized the release so that fans on Steam can enjoy the game.

We sincerely would have preferred that our relationship with Frogwares remain cooperative and respectful, as is the case with all of the studios whose titles we publish.

We hope that many of you will continue to play The Sinking City, and may your adventures in Oakmont be a lot of fun.

Source: The Sinking City STEAM Events Page

Last edited:

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
You'd think Nacon would stop making themselves look like gigantic assholes for the sake of a game that, really, nobody cares that much about.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I've got the EGS version, game is super fun and interesting. Curious as to what are the problems with the steam version.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I've got the EGS version, game is super fun and interesting. Curious as to what are the problems with the steam version.
There is a legal dispute over the ownership of the IP between the developer and publisher, and that is why the game has been delisted for a while.

Since Nacon insists that they own the IP, they've launched this incomplete version (no achievements and no DLCs) on. Steam, since, being a publisher, they obviously have more leverage with Valve, who is probably not particularly aware of the issues.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you're not looking to play the DLC or care about achievements, 60% off is pretty good. I get that Frogware would prefer people purchase their version of the game, but it's worth considering.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, what's going on with this game?
www.gamesindustry.biz

The Sinking City returns to stores as Nacon wins first decision in legal dispute

Frogwares' horror game The Sinking City is once again available for purchase, but the legal dispute between the develop…

Frogwares of course wasn't particularly happy with that court decission, quickly release their own version on Steam before Nacon could, but it was taken down (maybe DCMA claim) later. Now Nacon put this incomplete version (no DLC or achievements).

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Buy it from GamesPlanet. I believe it's DRM free. They sent me a key when they mistakenly said the one through their website was DRM free.

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
I bought it a little while ago.

Other than no achievements or DLC, doesn't seem like it matters much? I don't care about either...

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I mean the PS5 version, whichever one downloads on the PS5 with the sale they had recently.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so the PS4 version and PS5 version are different?

I'm not sure if the word "clusterfuck" is an adequate description here...

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so the PS4 version and PS5 version are different?

I'm not sure if the word "clusterfuck" is an adequate description here...

its a rights issue. As I understand it Nacon/BigBen signed a licensing agreement with Frogwares to publish the PS4 version, so once Frogwares was able to break away from that agreement they had to re-publish it themselves on PS5 as essentially a separate SKU, even if its the same game.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Sounds like Switch purchase and PS5 are the only ways to help Frogwares.

Will we ever get a AAA Cthulhu game?
What do you consider AAA?

Call of Cthulhu wasn't too bad, FPS game based off the RPG. semi-linear and less detective than this but there were decisions that affected your play path. Interesting ending as well, maybe A or AA.

Also do you mean straight up Cthulhu or Lovecraft game? Don't need all the A's for a sweet Cthulhu game as you could argue that the more AAA's the more they have to please a bigger general audience that doesn't always lend to a good Eldritch game. If you want some Lovecraft games, I can give you a variety of types that range from good to fun to okay.

Last edited:

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Nice, I bought it thinking oh crap it's gonna be delisted again let me grab it fast. I was annoyed the higher edition wasn't available. Haven't played so I can get a refund, I do genuinely want to play it though but own it on steam if possible so hopefully they can figure it out.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I don't know how these agreements work, but shouldn't the owning rights of the IP be one of the first major points on a contract?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
What do you consider AAA?

Call of Cthulhu wasn't too bad, FPS game based off the RPG. semi-linear and less detective than this but there were decisions that affected your play path. Interesting ending as well, maybe A or AA.

Something big-budget with a lot of marketing behind it. Something like a new Eternal Darkness game. A lot of these smaller titles have a lot of jank to them.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Something big-budget with a lot of marketing behind it. Something like a new Eternal Darkness game. A lot of these smaller titles have a lot of jank to them.

Got it. So like Bloodborne?

Guess I ignore and don't care about marketing. Though I think a lot of these smaller games have less jank in them than do. Like I am so excited for Arkham Horror this month.

-First Person Narrative types-
Conariun
Moons of Madness
The Shore

-Tactics game-
Acthung Cthulhu

-Text-like Adventure-
Omen Exitios
Shrouded Isle
The Innsmouth Case

-Action RTS?-
Sea Salt

-Survival, rogue-lite, top-down-
Darkwood
Endless Sea

-Metroid-like rogue-
Sundred

-Souls-like-
Morbid: Seven Acolytes

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I ignore and don't care about marketing. Though I think a lot of these smaller games have less jank in them than do. Like I am so excited for Arkham Horror this month.
I appreciate you trying to find something for me, but I assure you, the kind of game I'm looking for does not exist. And we're getting off-topic anyway.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I just bought the PS5 version recently. Glad to hear I got a version that supports the devs, this is my first time reading all the details of this whole situation.

Game has some jank but is pretty solid so far

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
A user review says that this version has no cloud saves, no DLC, no achievements etc, unlike the first version.

WTF. Just stop being shitty, Nacon.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I would count Dark Corners of the Earth game as AAA for it's time.

That definitely wasn't a big budget game.. 2006 wasn't that far away, DCotE was probably the prime example of a AA game for that year - you had many games that were AAA that had way better graphics, animations, AI, gameplay, without jank or bugs.. yeah, nahhh, that game, even though the first half is pretty fantastic, was far away from the AAA category

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019

Same, but it's not back yet on the EGS yet and there's still no way to get the DLC if you only own the base version of the game.

Awful situation all around.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Amusingly, Nacon forgot to disassociate Frogwares' Steamworks account from the app, allowing Frogwares to counter Nacon's announcement that the game is available with its own announcement recommending against buying it.

giphy.gif

Edit: Nacon has deleted Frogwares' announcement.

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So the game was relisted because the French courts sided with Nacon?