• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

PSA: Do not inform yourself through NintendoSoup (now a banned source)

OP
OP
Passing Assassin
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the JapaneseNintendo blog a lot recently for quick headlines. They report on a lot of Japan-only stuff and mobile game announcements which may be filler to some, but I find it pretty interesting typically.
Yeah BryBry's website is great, although as you said it's really only for niche japanese stuff. But they often have the exclusivity on those english-translated news.

Bomblord

Jan 11, 2018
In the past they did report stuff incorrectly. Maybe not this bad from what I remember.
GoNintendo has always been a purely news aggregate site It's just sharing what's trending with the occasional review/impression from RMC who runs it. They don't write their own articles and when they do share bad information their usually quick to apologize and correct it so yea it's not even remotely in the same league.

Last edited:

pld

Oct 27, 2017
GoNintendo at least apologise when they realise that they messed up, which cannot be said about Nintendosoup who just continue to spread their stuff.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
I’ve been trying to convince RMC on gonintendo for a while that nintendosoup is a bad source (you can submit stories and tips and he used to be pretty responsive except about this, he still fixes the typos I point out). Anyways I might send this thread to him and others should too since his site helps popularize nintendosoup.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I feel Nintendo Life is very good. Fantastic for reviews. But their lack of knowledge of Nintendo’s Japanese operations and older products is obvious. It’s like they only started playing Nintendo with the Wii.

pld

Oct 27, 2017
I’ve been trying to convince RMC on gonintendo for a while that nintendosoup is a bad source (you can submit stories and tips and he used to be pretty responsive except about this, he still fixes the typos I point out). Anyways I might send this thread to him and others should too since his site helps popularize nintendosoup.
That sounds like a great idea.

PtM

Dec 7, 2017
I feel Nintendo Life is very good. Fantastic for reviews. But their lack of knowledge of Nintendo’s Japanese operations and older products is obvious. It’s like they only started playing Nintendo with the Wii.
Their editor of old jumped off to work for Circle a few years ago.
I see that his successor now is listed only as reviewer, and veteran McFerran is now editor.
I guess they're having draughts.
Other than that, clickbait is their worst offence, for the most part. Though they also have a few regular Gamers in their comment sections.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I like how now people reading the thread title can't know what they're supposed to be avoiding, lol.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know. Thse guys have an history of fake stuff and misinformation.

When I want specific Nintendo stuff, I visit Nintendo Life. Sometimes there may be some clickbait, but it's easy to ignore, and when they have errors they do fix them if reported.

zando

Nov 10, 2019
I write reviews for the NintendoSoup, helping with news occasionally. I am also on our podcast, Spilling the Soup.

The Editor in Chief of the site has stepped down, and we've recommitted to verifying accuracy in our coverage of Nintendo news. We don't expect the ban to be lifted immediately but we hope to continue to improve despite occasional missteps. We all write for the site out of our love and passion for Nintendo.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
I didn't know this thread existed, but yeah that is a rubbish site since months ago. Lots of clickbait articles. They will pretty much post anything even if its only half truth cause they want to be the first to break the news.

And I remember back then a few people called them out on their online store for being overpriced because at one point they keep promoting it on Facebook. Those comments were removed subsequently by the page admins and those people are no longer able to post anymore on their page. Joke.