• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: This was about Nintendo Soup . Com but the website has been fortunately banned from era in the course of this thread, hence the "******" in the post.

I've seen a recurring trend over the last few months/a year that the website started gaining a lot of attention with threads being made relaying their news. I'd like to point out how it's currently probably the worst and most fake news-filled video game news website you could possibly inform yourself on.

On top of having generally no filter at all, using often twitter reactions to make generalizing articles or just any fan youtube videos (see this for instance), they also show a tendency of making huge leaps and using japanese sources without understanding a word of the language. A few examples:

This thread was made based on one of their article pointing out how one (1) reddit user managed to get a cancellation of their digital preorder of Pokémon SwSh. This article however didn't mention the important fact that anyone can get a digital preorder cancelled once for any motive, as per a global Nintendo policy. This is plain controvery stirring over misinformation.

http://web.archive.org/web/20191109000924/https:///gou-is-non-binary-in-the-upcoming-pokemon-anime/

This article, saved through Webarchive, mentionned how Gou (upcoming co-protagonist of the Pokémon anime) was announced as non-binary in a japanese article. There was never any mention of that in said article, only that he was meant to look like an androgenous pretty boy. Once the fake news was spread long and large and being called out, they amended the article saying that they were mistaken due to "the limited japanese language" which not only is kinda racist, is also proof that they don't know shit about the language.

Here they were responsible for kicking the misinformation about Nintendo apparently asking fans for what they fant relating to the future of Mother through a survey, were the only thing they actually did was asking fans of the series to write out and submit their favorite things from each of the Mother games, as well as general information about the order they played the games in and such. Once again a case of not knowing shit about what you're writing about.

On other generally shitty things, here they are exposing someone's public info in an article reporting the fake Grinch leak, which is definitely what you'd expect of a news website obviously
https:///more-evidence-the-super-smash-bros-ultimate-character-leaks-are-real-have-surfaced/

The further you dig, the more misinformation, assumptions and fake news you find. I highly recommend you to double check the source and original article when you find an article from Nintendosoup and, preferably, inform yourself on other websites. Here's a couple I'd personally recommend instead:

https://gematsu.com -> useful for all sorts of news, extremely up to date and generally has what you're looking for unless it's very specific. Probably my favourite game news website, highly recommended.

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/ -> if you're looking for Nintendo-only websites, I also would recommend that one. It's prioritizing quality over quantity and while it doesn't have all the very small and generally not important news, everything that matters get reported without bullshit.

http://www.nintendolife.com -> to complete the NWR coverage, if you want a broader look but still focus on Nintendo websites, this one is good too and generally doesn't make mistakes when they report stuff.

Last edited:

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Gou being non-binary was too good to be true, so I had a feeling this was the case. Still, thanks for the heads-up.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Go! Nintendo & Nintendo life legit I follow them on twitter?

Nintendolife is legit.
GoNintendo is...decent. They still share way too much unnecessary articles/news but at least most of the time don't make outright misinformation, and are quick to correct if that's the case. Still wouldn't be me first choice.

May 21, 2019
Is Go! Nintendo & Nintendo life legit I follow them on twitter?

Nintendolife is fine imo, Gonintendo is only a slightly less problematic Nintendosoup as someone already said here. Not to mention they link to Nintendosoup constantly so you're going to see a lot of the same stuff that site posts without even realizing it.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Nintendo Soup often spread misinformation, google translations and just make articles of things like a couple of person's tweets and treat it like it's the main community.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I only noticed them yesterday with that thread and was surprised how many people were believing it off of the incredibly vague info given. I really do not get why the thread wasn't closed.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
And they're not banned on here because...?
They manage to fly just underneath the radar enough to where their legitimacy isn't brought into question, so that's probably why.

If someone ever says something way off-base around me I usually find out NintendoSoup is at the core of it, they just aim for whatever angle will get them the most clicks. The National Pokedex debacle is doing wonders for them at the moment so they're really hammering away at that.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
And they're not banned on here because...?

Not enough awareness. I tell people not to share "X game sold out in Japan" Nintendosoup articles in media create threads because they make it sound like the game is selling out in all of Japan when it's only sold out in one store that they point to from online webpages of said store.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I hadn't heard of this website before but that Pokemon cancellation thread seemed like straight bullshit from the source. This site should be blacklisted on Era.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
Gou being non-binary was too good to be true, so I had a feeling this was the case. Still, thanks for the heads-up.
I feel like this undermines the importance of representing cis male identified people who present more androgynous or feminine. Gou isn't lesser because he is not specifically labeled as non-binary.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this undermines the importance of representing cis male identified people who present more androgynous or feminine. Gou isn't lesser because he is not specifically labeled as non-binary.

Don't get me wrong, Gou looks amazing. I just really don't think the industry is ready for a non-binary protagonist. I just don't see that happening.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
What? GoNintendo is great. I love how they provide more news than you would think about. Sometimes they provide information I'm looking for that no one cares about.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That website is garbage. Of course I don't listen to it.

GameXplain and NintendoLife are currently the best for Nintendo news

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Imagine following any Nintendo site when GameXplain exists
GameXplain doesn't cover many of the smaller details that pop up, and watch a 2 minute video is just worse than a 30 second article, personally.

Honestly, I am kinda disappointed to see them shift more and more towards being a news site in video form, though I understand it was was necessary for them.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
GameXplain doesn't cover many of the smaller details that pop up, and watch a 2 minute video is just worse than a 30 second article, personally.

Honestly, I am kinda disappointed to see them shift more and more towards being a news site in video form, though I understand it was was necessary for them.

Yeah their video feed is pretty tedious to essentially see 2 minute videos for a brief headline. I typically use blogs if I just want a list of random Nintendo news bits and facts.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since the Switch hit it big it seems like there has been a flurry of Nintendo news sites. My timeline is full of the same story from five different sources with wildly dramatic headlines.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they suck bad. GoNintendo is not that far off from them either. NintendoLife is okay ish but man, there always seems like there's never really a perfect source/good site. Always some minor bad details.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the JapaneseNintendo blog a lot recently for quick headlines. They report on a lot of Japan-only stuff and mobile game announcements which may be filler to some, but I find it pretty interesting typically.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Blacklisted. Thanks.

How is Nintendo Everything?
"fine" in the grand scheme of things

www.perfectly-nintendo.com doesn't get enough credit honestly. the site is not so much about being fast with news and doesn't cover all the tiny gossipy things but if you want to read something that has actually been properly researched before it's been posted, go there. a good supplemental site to check.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Nintendo Life is run by Chris Scullion, former editor of Official Nintendo Magazine UK. Yep, they're the most legit one out there.
Chris doesn't run any site other than his own, tiredoldhack.com. He's currently writing the SNES Encyclopedia, a follow-up to his NES Encyclopedia from earlier this year. He contributes to NLife occasionally with reviews and stuff.