• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the JapaneseNintendo blog a lot recently for quick headlines. They report on a lot of Japan-only stuff and mobile game announcements which may be filler to some, but I find it pretty interesting typically.

Yeah BryBry's website is great, although as you said it's really only for niche japanese stuff. But they often have the exclusivity on those english-translated news.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Nintendo Herald-Inquirer okay, or should I just stick to the Nintendo Gazette-Tribune?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
In the past they did report stuff incorrectly. Maybe not this bad from what I remember.

GoNintendo has always been a purely news aggregate site It's just sharing what's trending with the occasional review/impression from RMC who runs it. They don't write their own articles and when they do share bad information their usually quick to apologize and correct it so yea it's not even remotely in the same league.

Last edited:

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
GoNintendo at least apologise when they realise that they messed up, which cannot be said about Nintendosoup who just continue to spread their stuff.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
I'm geniuenly surprised it's not banned here, but oh well at least it's looked down upon by most users like it should.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
I've been trying to convince RMC on gonintendo for a while that nintendosoup is a bad source (you can submit stories and tips and he used to be pretty responsive except about this, he still fixes the typos I point out). Anyways I might send this thread to him and others should too since his site helps popularize nintendosoup.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I feel Nintendo Life is very good. Fantastic for reviews. But their lack of knowledge of Nintendo's Japanese operations and older products is obvious. It's like they only started playing Nintendo with the Wii.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying to convince RMC on gonintendo for a while that nintendosoup is a bad source (you can submit stories and tips and he used to be pretty responsive except about this, he still fixes the typos I point out). Anyways I might send this thread to him and others should too since his site helps popularize nintendosoup.

That sounds like a great idea.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
I feel Nintendo Life is very good. Fantastic for reviews. But their lack of knowledge of Nintendo's Japanese operations and older products is obvious. It's like they only started playing Nintendo with the Wii.
Their editor of old jumped off to work for Circle a few years ago.
I see that his successor now is listed only as reviewer, and veteran McFerran is now editor.
I guess they're having draughts.
Other than that, clickbait is their worst offence, for the most part. Though they also have a few regular Gamers in their comment sections.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. I encountered this site only for the Gou rumor, I believed it because he indeed looks androgynous.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I like how now people reading the thread title can't know what they're supposed to be avoiding, lol.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The site also has a history of saying a game has sold out in Japan when it was actually just from a single store.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know. Thse guys have an history of fake stuff and misinformation.

When I want specific Nintendo stuff, I visit Nintendo Life. Sometimes there may be some clickbait, but it's easy to ignore, and when they have errors they do fix them if reported.

zando

Nov 10, 2019
I write reviews for the NintendoSoup, helping with news occasionally. I am also on our podcast, Spilling the Soup.

The Editor in Chief of the site has stepped down, and we've recommitted to verifying accuracy in our coverage of Nintendo news. We don't expect the ban to be lifted immediately but we hope to continue to improve despite occasional missteps. We all write for the site out of our love and passion for Nintendo.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
I didn't know this thread existed, but yeah that is a rubbish site since months ago. Lots of clickbait articles. They will pretty much post anything even if its only half truth cause they want to be the first to break the news.

And I remember back then a few people called them out on their online store for being overpriced because at one point they keep promoting it on Facebook. Those comments were removed subsequently by the page admins and those people are no longer able to post anymore on their page. Joke.

RawmeatCowboy

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, RMC from GoNintendo here. This conversation was brought to my attention, so I figured I'd drop in and comment.

First off, thanks so much for those who shared kind words on the site. I know I'm not perfect and have never claimed to be, but I always try to do my best.

With that said, I know I still make mistakes. I will always correct/delete/apologize for the issues when they come up. I personally think we have made great strides in this area, but I also understand some feel differently. All I can do is continue to work hard and try to get better. Thank you to those who reach out with corrections on stories, be it through the site, Twitter, email, ect..

When it comes to the NS issue, this is something I've really been working hard on lately. I know they're a somewhat recent site, and they certainly do bring some interesting topics to light. That said, I know they also have shared some incorrect information in the past. They've been burned by it, as have I, and other outlets.

While I do still source them for content, I make sure to go out of my way to double and triple check things before I share. There have been numerous things I stayed far away from in recent months due to not being able to corroborate. I've even reached out to some personal friends who speak/read Japanese to see if they can clear things up, which has lead to me not sharing posts on certain stories.

I promise to continue diving deep into stories sourced from NS to make sure they're legit. For example, the post today about Brain Age not getting a retail release on Switch in North America is something I talked to multiple sources for. Even with the info I got from them, I still marked the story as rumor just to be 100% clear that I do not have a definitive answer on the matter.

I know we're the old guy on the block here, which makes our mistakes even more frustrating. Trust me, I feel the same way. I can't explain the feeling in the pit of my stomach when something turns out to be incorrect. I will always strive to be better, and I appreciate those in this thread who spoke up in their feeling that we've improved. No matter how much better we've gotten, there's always room for improvement.

Finally, I just wanted to comment on the original content related to GoNintendo. It is 100% true that the site is focused on news. That's always been the goal with GoNintendo. I want it to be as news-focused as possible. With that said, we are offering more reviews and previews in recent months, and it's an effort I want to expand. I just don't want to inundate people who visit GoNintendo with my opinions, or our opinions in general. People come for the news, so that's what I focus on.

I actually do create a considerable amount of original content, but I usually share that elsewhere. I create it for YouTube, through our podcast, and via our Patreon. I figure those places are a better venue for me to share long opinions on topics, do gameplay videos, and all that. I want people to hunt down that stuff on their own, rather than me shoving it down their throats. I hope that makes sense!

Thanks again, gang. I appreciate the kind words and constructive criticism.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Hey guys, RMC from GoNintendo here. This conversation was brought to my attention, so I figured I'd drop in and comment.

First off, thanks so much for those who shared kind words on the site. I know I'm not perfect and have never claimed to be, but I always try to do my best.

With that said, I know I still make mistakes. I will always correct/delete/apologize for the issues when they come up. I personally think we have made great strides in this area, but I also understand some feel differently. All I can do is continue to work hard and try to get better. Thank you to those who reach out with corrections on stories, be it through the site, Twitter, email, ect..

When it comes to the NS issue, this is something I've really been working hard on lately. I know they're a somewhat recent site, and they certainly do bring some interesting topics to light. That said, I know they also have shared some incorrect information in the past. They've been burned by it, as have I, and other outlets.

While I do still source them for content, I make sure to go out of my way to double and triple check things before I share. There have been numerous things I stayed far away from in recent months due to not being able to corroborate. I've even reached out to some personal friends who speak/read Japanese to see if they can clear things up, which has lead to me not sharing posts on certain stories.

I promise to continue diving deep into stories sourced from NS to make sure they're legit. For example, the post today about Brain Age not getting a retail release on Switch in North America is something I talked to multiple sources for. Even with the info I got from them, I still marked the story as rumor just to be 100% clear that I do not have a definitive answer on the matter.

I know we're the old guy on the block here, which makes our mistakes even more frustrating. Trust me, I feel the same way. I can't explain the feeling in the pit of my stomach when something turns out to be incorrect. I will always strive to be better, and I appreciate those in this thread who spoke up in their feeling that we've improved. No matter how much better we've gotten, there's always room for improvement.

Finally, I just wanted to comment on the original content related to GoNintendo. It is 100% true that the site is focused on news. That's always been the goal with GoNintendo. I want it to be as news-focused as possible. With that said, we are offering more reviews and previews in recent months, and it's an effort I want to expand. I just don't want to inundate people who visit GoNintendo with my opinions, or our opinions in general. People come for the news, so that's what I focus on.

I actually do create a considerable amount of original content, but I usually share that elsewhere. I create it for YouTube, through our podcast, and via our Patreon. I figure those places are a better venue for me to share long opinions on topics, do gameplay videos, and all that. I want people to hunt down that stuff on their own, rather than me shoving it down their throats. I hope that makes sense!

I Appreciate ya' man keep up the good work.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I write reviews for the NintendoSoup, helping with news occasionally. I am also on our podcast, Spilling the Soup.

The Editor in Chief of the site has stepped down, and we've recommitted to verifying accuracy in our coverage of Nintendo news. We don't expect the ban to be lifted immediately but we hope to continue to improve despite occasional missteps. We all write for the site out of our love and passion for Nintendo.
Nice one Zando. That's good to hear.

Oct 26, 2017
Banning sources is stupid. I think I'll add Nintendosoop to my bookmarks.
Oh please. Sources of information aren't equal. Shit sources get weeded out. That's the basic principle of any functioning basis of discussion.

Truth be told, the only reason I keep up to date with GoNintendo is your dedication to integrity and transparency. Your efforts are highly appreciated and go far beyond what most news aggregate sites are even trying to do. Kudos for always giving your best when you could easily choose to just take shortcuts to maximize update frequency.

Besides, keeping such an epic beard takes enough time so massive respect for that as well.

Last edited:

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
What's stupid about not allowing fake news websites to be used as sources?
This is a forum with a close relationship to Kotaku. We really shouldn't be point fingers at others.

Making threads about blacklisting websites only draws attention to the people you want to ignore. I've never heard of that site until this thread, which caused me to check it out. I found some of their archived stuff interesting and will now visit the site more because of this thread.

If you guys can't discern between good and bad information without having to resort to bannings, that doesn't really speak well of us.

Oct 25, 2017
Making threads about blacklisting websites only draws attention to the people you want to ignore. I've never heard of that site until this thread, which caused me to check it out. I found some of their archived stuff interesting and will now visit the site more because of this thread.
I mean have fun with that site then.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
If you guys can't discern between good and bad information without having to resort to bannings, that doesn't really speak well of us.

How do you discern between "good" and "bad" information, without outside sources of validation? Are you a human lie detector? Have you perhaps coded some algorithm or program you can feed a webpage to so that it outputs TRUE or FALSE in big flashing letters?

(fully expecting vague, generic "gut instinct" "I know it when I see it" and "it should be obvious" bullshit mixed with equally vague ad-hominems towards people that don't have these supernatural abilities).

Nintendo Chicken Soup was posting multiple articles that were either completely false or excluded important details which caused the creation of multiple threads that have gotten locked because they making an already contentious discussion (Sword & Shield) even worse. Nobody should be suprised that thay've been banned as this is simply a contiuation of GAF's tradition tabloid news as sources.