• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't see a mention anywhere specifically for this, thought it might be beneficial for people planning their trips:

"Safety and security are of paramount importance to E3. We continue to implement enhanced security measures which for E3 2018 will include bag search and walkthrough metal detectors.

Attendees may carry one small bag, that must be no larger than 12"x15"x6" into the show. This will be strictly enforced. Attendees are encouraged to consider their bag type and use clear bags (mesh, plastic, vinyl, etc) to expedite entry.

Prohibited bags include, but are not limited to: rolling luggage, large duffel bags, luggage, backpacks and rolling carts."

HIGH-RES-Security-Table-1024x587.png

download.jpeg

And you thought entry took a long time before.... RIP my water bottles, snacks, Switch, and portable batteries.

Search my bags if old.

edit: for more info
For those looking, a complete list of their prohibited items / bags:

• Bags Larger than 12" x 15" x 6"
  • No Backpacks, Coolers, Luggage, and/or any wheeled bags regardless of size.
  • Alcohol
  • Balloons
  • Camera/ Video Tripods (unless with official Media badge)
  • Chairs, Bleacher Backs, Camping Stools, etc.
  • Drones
  • Flammable Liquids
  • Flyers, stickers and other handouts
  • Illegal substances this including marijuana
  • Outside food and beverages* *Enforced on show days
  • Pets (with the exception of certified service animals) Service animals should remain on a leash or in a harness and under the control of the owner at all times
  • Skateboards, Hoverboards, Roller Skates/ Blades, and Scooters
  • Wagons and Wheeled Carts
  • Weapons; including but not limited to the following:
  • Actual clubs, maces, or crushing weapons
  • Sharp edged weapons (swords, knives, daggers)
  • Firearms
  • Pepper Spray
  • Projectile weapons, even if unloaded or non-functional
  • Other Items that show security determines may be harmful or disruptive.
Looks like small messenger bags and totes should be fine. Fanny packs as well (rock on).

You're only permitted ONE BAG. So chose wisely.

Last edited:

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
I'm sorry if this is shitty, but man am I happy that the Backpack restrictions aren't as strict for media. I don't know if I could do E3 without a backpack.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is okay with me. Last year was a nightmare to get to show floor appointments with people just standing around with massive backpacks blocking anyone from walking by.

MaDKaT

Oct 27, 2017
The no backpack thing is becoming increasingly annoying. Especially since I ride a motorcycle and carry a bag/daypack(10-15L)

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Damn it. My Switch isn't exactly pocket sized. I always bring a back pack with me for waiting in line games and snacks.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The backpacks made lines significantly worse and were such a pain in the ass for people who would just swing around in a crowded aisle.

I'm glad they're doing this.

redshoepaul

PM Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My cross body small bag works wonders now. Can carry 2 bottles of water with a little bit of room. Now the line for security will be stupid long much like PAX.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Don't blame private entities for taking precautions.

Blame the politicians who refuse to hear the issue/ban weapons/are in the NRA's pocket.

If anything props to E3 to taking extra precautions in light of everything. And you can still bring bags, just not backpacks. Completely fair compromise it seems.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just in case folk aren't clear on what a 12x15x6 bag looks like, the NFL has close to similar restrictions and this is the 12 x 12 x 6 clear bag for that. It's very small. Also, if I'm reading this right the media are only allowed backpacks or rolling bags specifically for camera equipment? Otherwise, it reads like we have the same limitations.

87LiJhy.jpg

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Safety comes before backpacks. Also, it's scary in hindsight to know just how easy it would have been to bring a weapon into E3. There were no bag checks at all. Gamescom had them though.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
An unfortunate necessity in the current climate.

Tangential, but this reminded me of Eurovision this year where security failed to stop someone rushing the stage, it made me realise that there has never been someone stage invade a press conference before. Granted, it's almost entirely press in the conference hall, but there are occasionally members of the public there, right?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Just in case folk aren't clear on what a 12x15x6 bag looks like, the NFL has close to similar restrictions and this is the 12 x 12 x 6 clear bag for that. It's very small. Also, if I'm reading this right the media are only allowed backpacks or rolling bags specifically for camera equipment? Otherwise, it reads like we have the same limitations.

87LiJhy.jpg
That looks like a decent size? Were people bringing in like backpacking packs or something? I don't know what you would need during a day that you couldn't fit in that if you're just a regular attendee.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
I get restricting the sizes and the bag searches, but no backpacks at all? Not even small ones? What officially constitutes a backpack? I need something that goes over both shoulders to distribute weight evenly due to recent health issues, so is there something that exists that I can wear that will adhere to their guidelines or am I screwed?

OP
OP
Piscus

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
Is a crossbody bag that fits within the measurement limitations considered a "backpack"? I'd hate to get up to the checkpoint and be turned away.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic that security is being upped, but I shudder to think of the line to get in the first morning.

Hammee

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Good, backpacks are terrible in these crowded places as they make everyone have a huge hump on their back. Never understood why people need to bring their house with them to events like this unless they are media.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If last year is any indication they'll also have dogs searching for bombs at the conferences.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. For everyone saying 'this is America', this kind of thing has been happening at most major music festivals in the UK/Europe for the last 18 months or so too. I go to about 15 every year, I should know! It's an inconvenience for about 20 mins but could save lives. Sucks that it's come to this but it is what it is.