• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
It looks like Forza Horizon 3 is soon to be delisted from Xbox Live. This falls in line with other Horizon and Motorsport Forza titles after a few years, likely due to car or music licensing.

Luckily you can grab the game and some of its DLC until then for a decent price, hence this PSA thread. Horizon 3 is not on Gamepass so if you don't own it yet, now is your chance!

Standard Edition - $9.89
Ultimate Edition - $20.99
Expansion Pass - $10.49

Edit: Confirmed Delisting

Last edited:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Damn, I already own the game and expansion pass, but the car pass itself is not on sale (though the ultimate edition on sale is cheaper than the car pass, lol)

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does the purchase linked in the OP work on the Windows 10 store? I'd normally skip that store but I'd consider it if there's no chance it'll see a Steam release.

Also, how's the PC port? Does it have HDR support? Performance issues?

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Definitely get the Ultimate Edition if you can, along with the Hot Wheels and Blizzard Mountain expansions! (Those two expansions are separate from the Ultimate Edition.) I bought this all on day one and it was such a wonderful joy to play!

FunkyFreshB

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If previous years are anything to go by, I suspect this will be a GWG game for September, so if it's on sale for two months and you have Gold, might be a good idea to wait a bit longer

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This is a downside to a system like Game Pass. Gotta "own" my games. Horizon 3 isn't on Game Pass, but when Horizon 4 gets delisted, people who played the game only through Game Pass won't have access to it anymore, yes?

Edit: Giving it away on Gold makes that less of an issue.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
I never knew Forza games got delisted. Good to know I guess, although that does kinda suck.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I have the base game... I guess I will get the DLC.

Assume this will work on Series X even if it's delisted, right?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
But you can buy it at a discount with Game Pass. I don't really see how playing it through Game Pass is a downside
Didn't say it's a downside to play it through Game Pass. Subscriptions models are unfortunate from an ownership perspective. You can always lose access to something you thought you had.

I have the base game... I guess I will get the DLC.

Assume this will work on Series X even if it's delisted, right?
Yeah, you could assume that.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I already own everything except a few cars... incredible game. My one dislike is that adding dlc cars is awful... a one at a time feature uts so slow and so many clicks. I've actually got a ton of cars I still never claimed because of that. My one wish for this game would be one finally update that just pushed all of the dlc / free cars (that you bought) into your garage.

This is a downside to a system like Game Pass. Gotta "own" my games. Horizon 3 isn't on Game Pass, but when Horizon 4 gets delisted, people who played the game only through Game Pass won't have access to it anymore, yes?

If you still care to play FH4 after hundreds of hours in gamepass (instead of playing FH5 or sucessor), then just like all the other forzas you can buy it cheap. Probably with a gamepass discount as well. That's the boat I'm in, I bought the dlc, but dont own the actual game. I love it dearly, but probably would not buy it at delisting time, because I'm more that satisfied with my time and will hopefully be playing FH5 instead.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, I'd been waiting for a good price on the hot wheels expansion. I just picked up the expansion pass.

Edit: this is play anywhere right? So this means the PC version (same purchase) is being delisted too right?

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Definitely get the Ultimate Edition if you can, along with the Hot Wheels and Blizzard Mountain expansions! (Those two expansions are separate from the Ultimate Edition.) I bought this all on day one and it was such a wonderful joy to play!
It's a better location (IMO) though has no seasonal gimmick.
Also the expansions are way better than FH4, especially the Hot Wheels one. It's just super fun, huge ramps/loops and creative tracks.
Too bad they aren't on sale, getting both is 2x the price of ultimate edition
God

stangthang26

Aug 15, 2018
Does delisting mean that I won't be able to download it later? Or do I just have to have it on my account and I'm good to download it whenever?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Looks like there was a Complete Add-Ons collection for sale at some point in 2018, but it was removed from the store. Not sure when.
That sucks.

There are at least 3 car packs not included in the Car Pass. The DLC is kinda a confusing mess.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that 3 is actually a better game than 4. Both are fantastic, obviously, but the Australia map is just... *chef kiss*

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Does delisting mean that I won't be able to download it later? Or do I just have to have it on my account and I'm good to download it whenever?
It's just being removed from the store for purchase. You'll still be able to download it anytime if you buy it before it's taken down.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Damn they could have given a deeper discount at least

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Thanks for the heads up!

Digital Foundry found that the game was difficult to run at 60 FPS on PC when it came out:

www.eurogamer.net

What does it take to run Forza Horizon 3 at 1080p60?

Last weekend, we showcased the PC port of Playground Games' Forza Horizon 3, running at close to its absolute best at 4…

Is that still the case today?
I was running it 4k ultra with 8xmsaa at rock solid 60fps just the other day. I forgot how nice looking a game it is.

It did have problems at release in the city area but that's solid now.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I am so glad I bought the first Horizon game before it got delisted, even though I didn't own an Xbox at the time (having sold my 360 and not yet got an Xbox One), otherwise I may never have got into the series. I own all the games now fortunately, and most of the expansions.

I wonder if one day they might do a Master Chief Collection style rerelease of all the games, maybe under a Horizon Legacy banner or something. Maybe they couldn't bring over cars and music, or maybe change cars/individual songs if they need to, but give you access to the world and events and whatever else they can bring over from all the games so far, but sidestepping any licensing issues. That would be a killer package.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I would argue that 3 is actually a better game than 4. Both are fantastic, obviously, but the Australia map is just... *chef kiss*
Overall, I do prefer the map in 3, but I prefer playing 4 because of the added freedom introduced by the fact that you can drive through most stone walls. While I understand the reality of car licenses with respect to games getting delisted, I honestly wish the older maps in the Forza Horizon series would make a return at some point in the future, albeit with the engine improvements of 4. That said, my favorite race in the series is Tarn Hows Scramble in 4.

It did have problems at release in the city area but that's solid now.
The only area I ever had performance issues was in the rainforest. Does that run at a locked 60 on PC for you?

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
It's nuts to me that Microsoft just let the licenses expire and delist these so quickly. The Horizon games are Xbox's best exclusive franchise for me and people who jump into the xbox ecosystem late can't play most of them without hunting down second hand physical copies.

I've already got this but haven't picked up the dlc yet so I'll get them. Doesn't look like the car pass is on sale though.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.