• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
As we all know. Forza Motorsport 7 is due to be delisted from the Xbox store this month.

We also knew the game was listed on Game Pass and people including myself assumed that people would retain access via this system.

However I just received a notice of the game leaving the service on the 15th September.

screenshot_20210905-1e9k8x.jpg

If you want to keep playing the game after this, now is the time to buy as the delisting sale is still on.

Buy Forza Motorsport 7 | Xbox

Experience the thrill of motorsport at the limit with the most comprehensive beautiful and authentic racing game ever made. Enjoy gorgeous graphics at 60fps and native 4K resolution in HDR. Collect and race more than 700 cars. Challenge yourself across 30 famous destinations and 200 ribbons...

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I thought we knew this. Wasn't there something where if you bought the DLC you got a token before it was removed?

Edit:

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I wonder why they don't renew the licenses. It's only 4 years since release.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is this worth it for someone who loved the Horizon games but isn't that interested in sim racers?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is this worth it for someone who loved the Horizon games but isn't that interested in sim racers?

I love both Forza series and gonna say no, though this "end of life" sale price is a good time to test your curiosity if you're feeling adventurous. But Motorsport scratches an almost completely different itch for me.

OP
OP
Stop It

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, yeah that token thing too, I forgot!

Kill me if old was missing

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember to buy all of the free DLC, or else you won't be able to access them once it is delisted.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
You can still download it after it gets delisted, so I'm assuming that if you're GP lapses for a while and you renew that then you should still have access to F7.
Your assumption is wrong. If you don't buy it, or get the token, you will no longer be able to play with a Game Pass sub.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Your assumption is wrong. If you don't buy it, or get the token, you will no longer be able to play with a Game Pass sub.

Oh I thought it'd be like an added to library thing…well that sucks.

Also, Microsoft have stated that all exclusives will remain on GP permanently, so I guess they lied.

Last edited:

beeswax

Oct 30, 2017
I think so, I also prefer arcade style racers to sims but Motorsport is very accessible and I'm having fun with it. Also, as a recent first-time purchaser of a steering wheel setup, Horizon is impossible with a wheel whereas Motorsport feels great.

Last edited:

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Forza Motorsport is not a sim racer. Its an arcade racing game that pretends to market itself as one. The fact it still has one of the worst implementation of steering wheel and pedal support is evidence of this.

anyone who enjoyed the gameplay and handling of the Horizon series will easily get used to FM games.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I thought it'd be like an added to library thing…well that sucks.

Also, Microsoft have stated that all exclusives will remain on GP permanently, so I guess they lied.

Don't believe they did state they'd stay on game pass permanently just that they'd be there day and date of release

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Really? It's a licensing issue.

Don't believe they did state they'd stay on game pass permanently just that they'd be there day and date of release
"On January 23, 2018, Microsoft announced an expansion of Game Pass that would see first-party titles arrive on the catalog day-and-date with the retail release of the game. Sea of Thieves was the first new title to appear on Game Pass on its retail launch date, March 20, 2018"

Also this.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
Ohh they don't put car pass on sale anymore what an annoying thing, I already have fm7 digital and physical and have no extra discount on ultimate. :/ /majornelson majornelson is it possible to put car pass for fm7 on sale one last time?

does anyone know if vip prizes will remain after game is delisted and you'll be awarded the vip cars already given?

is the car pass worth it? Thanks!

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

They did say it. It's not unexpected for companies to tell fibs though, lol.

Thankfully, Xbox Live director of programming Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb has clarified on Twitter that "Xbox One Exclusives will be a permanent part of game pass moving forward." If it enters the library, then it remains there forever essentially (or until Microsoft shuts down Xbox Live. Whichever comes first).

Really? It's a licensing issue.

Which is fine, but inform us Forza won't remain on GP, and also if you can still download the game from the store after the license finishes then why can't you get it via GP?

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If people chose to buy the game don't forget there is a large selection of free cars worth claiming before Sept 15th too. And I think you have to claim many of these separately. Worth 10 minutes of your time to lock them in as well

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
They did say it. It's not unexpected for companies to tell fibs though, lol.

Thankfully, Xbox Live director of programming Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb has clarified on Twitter that "Xbox One Exclusives will be a permanent part of game pass moving forward." If it enters the library, then it remains there forever essentially (or until Microsoft shuts down Xbox Live. Whichever comes first).

Which is fine, but inform us Forza won't remain on GP, and also if you can still download the game from the store after the license finishes then why can't you get it via GP?

Isn't that what the thread is showing? Information about forza being taken off of gamepass.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, why would I? This is the type of game that's not unique and a sequel is always a categorical improvement. It's not Forza Horizon for which the setting is unique; for this the next game in the series is always an upgrade to the visuals, simulation aspects, sound..etc. Unless the future games are set to lose licence to some tracks that I like, like the Nordschleife, I would never play the old games over the new, it makes little sense to me.

Someone tell me why they would, I'm curious.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's not surprising to anyone that this gets delisted eventually, but before the next game is even out, that is really weird.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
No, why would I? This is the type of game that's not unique and a sequel is always a categorical improvement. It's not Forza Horizon for which the setting is unique; for this the next game in the series is always an upgrade to the visuals, simulation aspects, sound..etc. Unless the future games are set to lose licence to some tracks that I like, like the Nordschleife, I would never play the old games over the new, it makes little sense to me.

Someone tell me why they would, I'm curious.
I mean, is the sequel out? Which is the best Forza Motorsport out right now? This is the best game of its kind on the market right now and it's $10, $20 for the Ultimate Edition.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

If they can't sell the game anymore, they can't keep it on GP. Seems very straightforward.

If you've bought the game you can keep re-downloading it. If it's been added to your GP library you should also still be able to re-download it is what I'm saying. That is what I'd call very straightforward.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the DLC/token thing. If I have Game Pass and I buy any DLC, I get a code for the full game? I must be understanding it wrong, or there must be some limit to it, because otherwise it's stupidly cheap to get the full game.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
If you've bought the game you can keep re-downloading it. If it's been added to your GP library you should also still be able to re-download it is what I'm saying. That is what I'd call very straightforward.

But the game will be removed from GP. And since you dont own it, you shouldnt be able to re-download it. This is straightforward, whatever you're trying to pull in this thread though is not.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
It's not surprising to anyone that this gets delisted eventually, but before the next game is even out, that is really weird.

Not really...forza doesn't typically have this much time between titles. I reckon the cost of reupping the license isn't worth it since the next forza will be more a platform like halo...and it'll be less a worry going forward.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK

You don't own the game in Game Pass though.
It could be that MS no longer have the right to distribute the game that way due to licensing issues.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017

I'm guessing the original plan was for the sequel to be out now but COVID and maybe Forza Horizon 5 being in a better shape to release this year caused them to push it.

I don't get the DLC/token thing. If I have Game Pass and I buy any DLC, I get a code for the full game? I must be understanding it wrong, or there must be some limit to it, because otherwise it's stupidly cheap to get the full game.

You had to buy the DLC before the announcement in order to get a token so there was no way to trick the system. Some got lucky though if they had bought cheap DLC.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
IIRC if you bought any DLC for the game prior to that tweet you'd get a token that gives you ownership of the game, so you can play it once its delisted.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, is the sequel out? Which is the best Forza Motorsport out right now? This is the best game of its kind on the market right now and it's $10, $20 for the Ultimate Edition.
Agggghhhhh, the one flaw in my thinking! I completely overlooked that, damn me!

It's true, but typically these games get delisted 4 years later, it's a cosmic improbability that the sequel took such a long time to come out! Normally it wouldn't have mattered.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
There's no such thing as "your GP library". There's a library and games get added and removed. When games are removed you can no longer play them.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
But the game will be removed from GP. And since you dont own it, you shouldnt be able to re-download it. This is straightforward, whatever you're trying to pull in this thread though is not.

Whatever I'm trying to pull? Why do some people get so defensive about things like this? I'm merely stating that if the game is already added to your library, and if it's still available to download, then it seems reasonable to ask the question.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Whatever I'm trying to pull? Why do some people get so defensive about things like this? I'm merely stating that if the game is already added to your library, and if it's still available to download, then it seems reasonable to ask the question.

You're free to download and play it for as long as it still lasts on the service. Should be doing that if you care so much instead of arguing here

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017

I'll be intrigued to see if this holds true for Forza Horizon 5, since it would require Microsoft to get an agreement from Ferrari / Lamborghini / Bugatti et al that would allow them to use their cars in the game forever, and no previous comparable game on any console has ever had that (as far as I know).

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Presumably COVID screwed up release timelines in that a new Forza was suppose to be available or near enough by now. Contracts unfortunately have to be adhered to no matter the circumstances.
They can't sell or provide a way for "purchasing" the game due to contractual licences, Game Pass was providing that and as such had to be removed. You still accessing your "bought" game is perfectly fine because it's an existing sale, hence why Microsoft is giving out tokens to Game Pass owners who purchased DLC.

There is nothing wrong here, and they also informed everyone in July.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I'll be intrigued to see if this holds true for Forza Horizon 5, since it would require Microsoft to get an agreement from Ferrari / Lamborghini / Bugatti et al that would allow them to use their cars in the game forever, and no previous comparable game on any console has ever had that (as far as I know).

Have Horizon games been delisted? I thought the license issue was regarding tracks tbh, rather than cars.