• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
.....you should probably be aware of this.

In recent months I've seen a lot of people on this forum express a belief that the Xbox One X is going to be carried over, and/or continue to be supported when the next Xbox is released. There are reasons to believe this isn't going to happen, and due to the obscure source of the information I'm about to share I felt it would be helpful to give this more visibility.

Giant Bomb has a second podcast feed called "Giant Bomb Presents". It's a lot of random content that I, and I suspect a lot of others mostly ignore, but occasionally there is an interesting interview posted there. Back in November around the time of the Xbox One X launch Albert Penello (director or Xbox marketing) did an interview with Jeff and Brad, and at one point Jeff asked Albert a very specific question.

I'm not going to bother quoting Jeff's entire question because it was long and rambly, but the gist of it was this. Will the Xbox One X be supported or carried over when the next Xbox console comes around? Albert's answer was also long and rambly, but he made a point of saying the following...

"I can answer today, there is a reason they're both called Xbox One. I think the name is a pretty strong indicator of what our intent is about having games run on both".

So they named it the Xbox One X for the same reasons Sony named their mid gen refresh console the PS4 Pro. They were making a clear designation this machine is part of the current generation, and not part of the next generation. I hope this information is helpful to others, as it would be unfortunate for someone to buy a machine thinking it's got a longer life ahead of it than it really does.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
What hopes of X being carried over have you been reading? Haven't read anything of the sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.