• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
I'm pretty sure the 5.0 update didn't change the airflow of the Switch...

Again, this wasn't happening before 5.0.

I am just ssuggesting to test if it's airflow related. FW5.0 wakes up the switch constantly. It heats up more and if the usb stick blocks the airflow it may be a problem.

How is it airflow when the adapter sits outside of the dock? Are you going to say that the USB3.0 port heats up when you plug anything to it?

I assumed that the stick resides inside the dock. If it was reported otherwise, my apologies

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
HORI adapter, Switch is always cool. FWIW I share my Switch so I rarely leave games suspended.

Personally, I disagree with the title and OP phrasing this as something that always happens when using an Ethernet adapter as there have been multiple reports claiming otherwise.

I assumed that the stick resides inside the dock. If it was reported otherwise, my apologies
It's not really a stick so much as it is a block with a short cable attached. The block itself wouldn't fit in the dock.

Still, it'd be worth it to experimentally rule out airflow since there are conflicting reports. Could someone experiencing this issue leave the back panel of the dock open overnight?

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
HORI adapter, Switch is always cool. FWIW I share my Switch so I rarely leave games suspended.

Personally, I disagree with the title and OP phrasing this as something that always happens when using an Ethernet adapter as there have been multiple reports claiming otherwise.

I agree.
I left BOTW suspended over night and all day long and now checked again. Not warm at all (noname ethernet adapter)
NqdzACS.jpg

Room temp is 23 something btw

I will test again tomorrow with another adpater (if i can find it)

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I'm using this one. If you're 100% certain that the Switch doesn't get more warm in sleep mode with the adapter vs without it (please check and make sure) can you tell us which adapter you're using?
Also using that exact adapter, and my Switch is probably the coldest thing in my TV room right now.
Does one have to have used it in the past couple of days? When did this update come out? Admittedly I have not fired it up in about 10 days (I did get an update when I last fired it up) as I have been playing God of War and Far Cry on other consoles.

-Q-

Oct 30, 2017
Update: Looks like the bug is intermittent because I previously reported a cold sleeping Switch, today it was warm and my joycon batteries were depleted.

Splatoon was suspended, same as before.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Why can't you guys just use Wi-Fi? I used to use Ethernet until about 2 years ago. Wi-Fi is at the point now you really don' need to worry about reliability.
I'd never use WiFi for gaming by choice, but especially not WiFi on the Switch.
I have enterprise-grade WiFi gear and get terrible connection speeds with the Switch. Even with it right next to the access point I get 1/10th the speed that I do on my phone.
When I was using my ISP router, I was getting less than 1Mb/s if I wasn't in the same room as it. It's almost comically bad.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Update: Looks like the bug is intermittent because I previously reported a cold sleeping Switch, today it was warm and my joycon batteries were depleted.

Splatoon was suspended, same as before.

Yea, just pulled mine off the dock and mine is a little warm today, so it's either intermittent or something unknown is triggering it

mrchad

Oct 27, 2017
Do parental controls affect the temperature symptoms? If you have them disabled, is the Switch not constantly polling for updates?

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Do parental controls affect the temperature symptoms? If you have them disabled, is the Switch not constantly polling for updates?
I have them disabled and I'm getting the problem
Unless you have a 100+ Mbit internet speed, there is no need to.
And even if you do... I have 300 Mbps down / 300 Mbps up and a USB 3.0 adapter and my Switch gets 40 Mbps download / 11 Mbps upload via the adapter. I believe this is because Nintendo still hasn't enable the USB 3.0 capabilities of the 3.0 port (they said the port would act as a 2.0 one until a firmware update).

The only reason I use ethernet is to have a more stable connection and less ping while playing online, since actual bandwith speed barely matters there. But when downloading stuff my 5 GHz AC wifi is actually much faster, at least for now.

Muras

Oct 28, 2017
I've done some experimenting with this, and have found some odd results. I actually noticed things related to this but didn't make the connection to the LAN adapter until this thread. As best I can tell, it's not that the LAN adapter itself that is causing the Switch to warm up, but rather all the USB ports remain active when the Switch goes into sleep mode. A side effect of all this means I've been able to wake the Switch from sleep mode using the home button on wired controllers, which is something that you couldn't do before. I use the Magic NS so my Wii U Pro works on the Switch, and the dongle flashes colors when it's turned on so it's easy to tell when the USB ports are active or not.

The odd thing is, sometimes the ports remain active and sometimes they don't. So far I haven't been able to keep the USB ports active WITHOUT a LAN adapter connected to the Switch when being put into sleep mode. But there's been odd times when I put the Switch into sleep mode and the ports go inactive anyways even with the LAN adapter connected (Magic NS doesn't light up). I think this is why some people haven't noticed their Switches being warm, since it's not happening 100% of the time. I assume the Switch won't get warm if the ports are inactive.

The ports were staying active for me 100% of the time until I went into the internet settings and switched to wireless, and then back to the LAN adapter, then went into sleep mode. All the sudden the Magic NS wasn't lighting up anymore and the LAN adapter obviously wasn't blinking and was inactive as well. After putting it into sleep mode and waking it multiple times, it stayed this way until I undocked the Switch, or I unplugged and plugged back in a USB device while it was awake. Even then, sometimes the ports would go inactive in sleep mode and sometimes not. I'm having a hard time finding a pattern.

So yeah, this is super weird. There's a bug here somewhere, but I can't tell if the USB ports remaining active are supposed to be a new feature that isn't working correctly (Because waking the Switch from sleep mode with a wired controller is kinda nice), or the ports being active in sleep mode is a bug itself. This is why Nintendo really needs to do better with their patch notes so users can know what's up. It'd be nice if some journalists could pester Nintendo during interviews at E3 about transparency on patches...

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I've done some experimenting with this, and have found some odd results. I actually noticed things related to this but didn't make the connection to the LAN adapter until this thread. As best I can tell, it's not that the LAN adapter itself that is causing the Switch to warm up, but rather all the USB ports remain active when the Switch goes into sleep mode. A side effect of all this means I've been able to wake the Switch from sleep mode using the home button on wired controllers, which is something that you couldn't do before. I use the Magic NS so my Wii U Pro works on the Switch, and the dongle flashes colors when it's turned on so it's easy to tell when the USB ports are active or not.

The odd thing is, sometimes the ports remain active and sometimes they don't. So far I haven't been able to keep the USB ports active WITHOUT a LAN adapter connected to the Switch when being put into sleep mode. But there's been odd times when I put the Switch into sleep mode and the ports go inactive anyways even with the LAN adapter connected (Magic NS doesn't light up). I think this is why some people haven't noticed their Switches being warm, since it's not happening 100% of the time. I assume the Switch won't get warm if the ports are inactive.

The ports were staying active for me 100% of the time until I went into the internet settings and switched to wireless, and then back to the LAN adapter, then went into sleep mode. All the sudden the Magic NS wasn't lighting up anymore and the LAN adapter obviously wasn't blinking and was inactive as well. After putting it into sleep mode and waking it multiple times, it stayed this way until I undocked the Switch, or I unplugged and plugged back in a USB device while it was awake. Even then, sometimes the ports would go inactive in sleep mode and sometimes not. I'm having a hard time finding a pattern.

So yeah, this is super weird. There's a bug here somewhere, but I can't tell if the USB ports remaining active are supposed to be a new feature that isn't working correctly (Because waking the Switch from sleep mode with a wired controller is kinda nice), or the ports being active in sleep mode is a bug itself. This is why Nintendo really needs to do better with their patch notes so users can know what's up. It'd be nice if some journalists could pester Nintendo during interviews at E3 about transparency on patches...

interesting observation. I guess Nintendo screwed something up with the 5.0 update.

I experienced quite the opposite though. regulary working/lighting up LAN adpater before 5.0 in sleep mode and complete inactivity now (after the 5.0 update).
oddly enough my Switch is always "up to date" when I wake it up. news are updated etc etc

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Bump for awareness because somehow this is still a thing. Nintendo pls.

I try to remove the Ethernet cable every time I stop using the switch but sometimes I forget and the Switch spends all night getting warm for no reason.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I thought of getting an adapter and glad I saw your bump. I'm not grabbing one until they fix this.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah tried reconnecting my adapter when playing Fortnite and it's still a thing. No way I'm connecting and removing the thing from the internal USB every time I play / stop playing so I'm just keeping the console on wifi. Does Nintendo even know about this? Weird that they still didn't fix it.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yeah tried reconnecting my adapter when playing Fortnite and it's still a thing. No way I'm connecting and removing the thing from the internal USB every time I play / stop playing so I'm just keeping the console on wifi. Does Nintendo even know about this? Weird that they still didn't fix it.
You can just disconnect the ethernet cable from the adapter which is easier. Still a pain in the ass tho.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Curious, but what do you have in the external slots?

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It just looks cleaner and more organised in the back port. Besides, it's the 3.0 port, and I own a 3.0 adapter, so I don't want to use the 2.0 ports. I don't know if Nintendo enabled the USB 3.0 functionality already, but still. It just makes more sense to have it there.

Also, if this is still at thing when Smash releases (I fucking hope it isn't) my external slots will permanently have a GameCube controller adapter plugged in lol
I wouldn't expect any problems from the switch being warm. Maybe if it was hot.
A mobile chip getting warm and stressed 24/7 permanently without ever going to sleep and with the fan disabled may cause issues in the long run.

We are talking about the Switch NEVER settling down. Never ever. Constantly working and getting warm. This is a bug that *needs* to be fixed.

You know when you haven't used your phone all day and you pick it up and it's cold? That's how the Switch is supposed to work, and it actually does when using wifi instead of cable.

Last edited:

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
For those who say someone's it is warm and sometimes not, an experiment for you.

Did you put switch in sleep mode before docking it? Or was it docked when you put it to sleep. Please try both and see if you get a different result. Perhaps the bug occurs in handshaking when you put a sleeping switch back into the dock.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
For those who say someone's it is warm and sometimes not, an experiment for you.

Did you put switch in sleep mode before docking it? Or was it docked when you put it to sleep. Please try both and see if you get a different result. Perhaps the bug occurs in handshaking when you put a sleeping switch back into the dock.
I can confirm 100% that it happens when putting the Switch to sleep while it's already in the dock. I'm not sure about docking it while in sleep mode. Will test

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
A keyboard and an arcade stick. One more peripheral and I'll need a hub. I could switch them around but I wanted the ethernet adapter in the internal port just because it's supposed to be faster (well it's actually probably not but they plan to enable it for USB 3.0 so technically it's capable of that).

Anyway, the point really is that having the ethernet adapter connected shouldn't require me to think about what it does to my console and joycons.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
hmm I use an insignia dock and have never really noticed this issue. I think the insignia dock might actually be better than the offiicial nintendo one since it doesn't enclose the system... gets more air that way... I think?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good explanation why this happens with Ethernet and not with WiFi?

For some reason I would have expected the opposite if anything.

tsab

Nov 3, 2017

I use Magic-NS too. anytime I put the Switch to sleep docked the USBs deactivate also.
I only noticed the usb ports were powered when the switch goes to sleep by itself (dictated by the power setrings). This occured once

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Is there a good explanation why this happens with Ethernet and not with WiFi?

For some reason I would have expected the opposite if anything.
It's a bug, there's no reason why this should happen.

And even if it was some kind of unavoidable consequence of using wired (it isn't) they should just put an option to disable ethernet while in sleep mode and fallback to wifi

Cuboid 64

Oct 28, 2017
I was wondering why this was happening. I had lost my old ethernet adapter (the Nyko Net Connect) and had bought the UGREEN one recently. Guess i'll try to find the old one again, see if it's got a similar issue.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Since I read about this problem I just leave my Switch on WiFi. I'd like to get gigabit to the Switch of course but it's just not worth the worry for me at this juncture.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Another bump to remind people that this is STILL not fixed...

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Maybe it's only certain adapters that have the issue and it won't be fixed? Which one do you use?

I use the Wii U one and the Switch is cold as ice.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Maybe it's only certain adapters that have the issue and it won't be fixed? Which one do you use?

I use the Wii U one and the Switch is cold as ice.
Even if that's the case, which doesn't appear to be, one of the affected ones would be the officially licensed Hori adapter, and the official Nintendo-made Wii one too (as tested by my gf), so, yeah..

By the way, with my adapter, I can see that the adapter is on all the time when the Switch is sleeping (it has activity LEDs). If that's really the problem (tho I can't see why keeping the wifi module on all the time is not a problem but keeping the ethernet adapter is) then either let me disable the feature and set a timeframe to check for updates and stuff (like the Wii U, you could set it to check for stuff every hour, every two hours, three, etc) or just let me set it to never use ethernet when in sleep mode, only wifi (though this would be a rather stupid solution)

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I use Ethernet and I've never noticed it being unusually hot. Warmer than other non-electronic objects nearby, sure, but never anything I'd consider out of the ordinary for an electronic device that's running, even in low power mode. I'd compare it to the temp of a my cell that's been updating apps or been charging overnight.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The last Nintendo Switch firmware update was 5.1.0, which was released on May 30th. So, it wouldn't be fixed until a new firmware release.
As the title indicates, this is a PSA, meaning the point of the thread is to raise awareness, which won't stop being a reasonable thing to do until it's fixed. It's not like the whole resetera community is aware of the problem, and they should be.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
You make it sound like this is a fire hazard. As I said, I'm using Ethernet myself and I have not once picked up my Switch (when it had sit overnight) and thought it was warm enough to warrant concern from either a fire hazard or a risk of damage to the unit.