• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 18, 2018
You make it sound like this is a fire hazard. As I said, I'm using Ethernet myself and I have not once picked up my Switch (when it had sit overnight) and thought it was warm enough to warrant concern from either a fire hazard or a risk of damage to the unit.

Not a fire hazard but will kill the long-term reliability of your battery.

Which is a big deal for a system without a user-replaceable battery

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
You make it sound like this is a fire hazard. As I said, I'm using Ethernet myself and I have not once picked up my Switch (when it had sit overnight) and thought it was warm enough to warrant concern from either a fire hazard or a risk of damage to the unit.
No, I don't make this sound like anything.

The Switch warms up in the dock overnight. My title reads "it will warm up in the dock overnight". That's literally what happens. You made the fire hazard thing up

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Thanks for the heads up. I bought and hooked up the Hori adapter to the 3.0 spot a couple weeks ago. The bottom right corner, near the stand, was a bit warm near the stand while in sleep mode. I've got it unplugged for now, and will check on it later. Hopefully this gets fixed soon as well as activating the 3.0 port.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Noticed this when I got an Ethernet adapter for the street fighter anni collection. Hope they fix it, tired of unplugging after I'm done playing (first world problems)

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Just to add my experience:
I use wireless but I plugged my switch in, using a standard USB C cable, turned it off, had it set for automatic screen turn off, placed it into a case and came back to the screen being on for ~hour. The case was warped, the air vents broke on the top. I got scared and put it in the freezer.

Not the same. I've had it fixed due to controller problems and I think they replace a lot of things.

I'm just wondering if there are flaws. Flaws that prevent it from shutting down at high temps. I've never seen that again but I triple check. I thought I would charge and protect the screen. I got mine at launch, so I wonder if the initial batches had flaws (I assume likely).

And Nintendo fixed my joy cons (which were the problem) and fixed other things. New screen (mine had a protector, got it back with no scratches, no protector), replaced sir vents. The heat even warped the console plastic so the lines were off. Now it looks brand new. Even need to buy more screen protectors.

I'm wondering why they would fix other things. Has that been a policy or are they being proactive in fixing a bunch of flaws?

I bring this all up because I wonder if we'll find other reasons it heats up.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
No, I don't make this sound like anything.

The Switch warms up in the dock overnight. My title reads "it will warm up in the dock overnight". That's literally what happens. You made the fire hazard thing up
I didn't mean you literally said "fire hazard", just that you're making a big deal about it like it was. The device gets hot when plugged into the wall and downloading updates at a higher speed than Wi-Fi (therefore more processing is being done, ergo more heat).

Might as well make a PSA that says to never leave anything plugged up ever since it might get warm. While you're at it, you might as well tell people to never play the thing because it gets super hot when you actually play it.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Just to add my experience:
I use wireless but I plugged my switch in, using a standard USB C cable, turned it off, had it set for automatic screen turn off, placed it into a case and came back to the screen being on for ~hour. The case was warped, the air vents broke on the top. I got scared and put it in the freezer.

Not the same. I've had it fixed due to controller problems and I think they replace a lot of things.

I'm just wondering if there are flaws. Flaws that prevent it from shutting down at high temps. I've never seen that again but I triple check. I thought I would charge and protect the screen. I got mine at launch, so I wonder if the initial batches had flaws (I assume likely).

And Nintendo fixed my joy cons (which were the problem) and fixed other things. New screen (mine had a protector, got it back with no scratches, no protector), replaced sir vents. The heat even warped the console plastic so the lines were off. Now it looks brand new. Even need to buy more screen protectors.

I'm wondering why they would fix other things. Has that been a policy or are they being proactive in fixing a bunch of flaws?

I bring this all up because I wonder if we'll find other reasons it heats up.
This is completely unrelated. Just throw that USB C cable in the garbage bin. Only use high end USB C cables that are fully spec compliant. Google and Apple USB C cables are the best. And try to only use Nintendo branded stuff on Switch since the Switch itself isn't fully USB C compliant either...

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
I recently bought the UGreen ethernet adapter that some people recommended on Reddit, and I've been checking my Switch when I leave it docked overnight. It doesn't feel hot at all when I touch it so maybe it doesn't affect everyone?

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As the title indicates, this is a PSA, meaning the point of the thread is to raise awareness, which won't stop being a reasonable thing to do until it's fixed. It's not like the whole resetera community is aware of the problem, and they should be.
Yeah I didn't know about this and was considering this literally today. Glad I saw this.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Those of you using Ethernet, have you found it faster than a wireless connection? I think I read somewhere that wireless was weirdly faster on Switch.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Those of you using Ethernet, have you found it faster than a wireless connection? I think I read somewhere that wireless was weirdly faster on Switch.
Speed's not my deciding factor in using Ethernet. It's reliability since I live in a subdivision with a lot of Wi-Fi noise and not much I can do about it. I wouldn't say there's a significant difference in speeds between wired and wireless though and it may actually be true that wireless is indeed faster, but slightly slower is better than disconnects IMO.

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Update to my last post. Just felt my Switch after leaving my Hori adapter unplugged while I was out for a few hours running errands (in sleep mode). It's dead cold. It was only slightly warm near the kickstand while it was plugged in, not enough that I should feel worried, but Nintendo really should update the firmware to make it more efficient to reduce potential long term effects.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
WiFi is faster (for now) since I have AC 5 GHz WiFi vs the USB 2.0 (for now) ethernet of the Switch. But it's not about download / upload speeds, it's about ping / latency. I used to play Smash Wii U competitively (well, about as competitively as my skill allows lol) and I definitely noticed the added latencty and additional stutter when using WiFI instead of wired. I even went as far as to test wired vs wireless with the same friend to make sure and yep, wifi had some stutter that just weren't present when wired.

A wired connection will always be more reliable and have sightly less latency than a wireless one. Even if you don't personally notice it.
Does the Switch heat up with the UGreen adaptor?
That's the one I use (the USB 3.0 model) and yes.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
My switch isn't getting hot when I leave it docked with the UGreen 3.0 adaptor. I checked a few times now.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
They really still haven't patched this? This is exactly the kind of fix you could sneak into a quick 'stability' update and be done with.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
This is completely unrelated. Just throw that USB C cable in the garbage bin. Only use high end USB C cables that are fully spec compliant. Google and Apple USB C cables are the best. And try to only use Nintendo branded stuff on Switch since the Switch itself isn't fully USB C compliant either...
It is a Google usb c. I have a pixel 2 and had a pixel 1.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was this bug ever fixed? I plan on buying the Ethernet adapter to have less shitty online play when Smash comes out and don't want to have to unplug the cable each play session

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was this bug ever fixed? I plan on buying the Ethernet adapter to have less shitty online play when Smash comes out and don't want to have to unplug the cable each play session
Nope. I plugged in my ethernet the other day and it still made the Switch warm.

Once Smash launches, I'll just unplug it each time after I'm done playing. It's a pain, but I'd rather that than unnecessarily heating the console when not in use.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
"warm up overnight" is a weird thing to say.

It warms up after a while. Day or night. So long as it's in the dock and the cable is connected.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
So I tested a different usb adapter now and it indeed warms up but , to put everyone at ease, it hardly hits 38C (around 100F) at most on the warmest parts. This really shouldn't cause any issues.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. I plugged in my ethernet the other day and it still made the Switch warm.

Once Smash launches, I'll just unplug it each time after I'm done playing. It's a pain, but I'd rather that than unnecessarily heating the console when not in use.
It's nuts this is still happening. Was planning getting a newer one anyway, will be sure to get it by the time Smash comes.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this gets fixed soon as well as activating the 3.0 port.
If you have the Hori adapter this doesn't matter. Despite using a USB 3 chip, they opted for a USB 2 cable. However:
WiFi is faster (for now) since I have AC 5 GHz WiFi vs the USB 2.0 (for now) ethernet of the Switch.
I get ~75Mb/s down over Ethernet on my Switch and ~55Mb/s down over 5GHz Wi-Fi. Meanwhile, on my phone's wifi, I'm getting over 200Mb/s down (capping my connection speed). The Switch itself is bottlenecking speeds, and it looks like it's affecting Wi-Fi more than Ethernet. Even if they give USB 3 Ethernet drivers, I'm not sure it'd help; the same adapter I'm getting 75Mb/s with on Switch caps out my 200Mb/s connection over USB 2 on my laptop. There seems to be a software issue with the Switch.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you have the Hori adapter this doesn't matter. Despite using a USB 3 chip, they opted for a USB 2 cable. However:

I get ~75Mb/s down over Ethernet on my Switch and ~55Mb/s down over 5GHz Wi-Fi. Meanwhile, on my phone's wifi, I'm getting over 200Mb/s down (capping my connection speed). The Switch itself is bottlenecking speeds, and it looks like it's affecting Wi-Fi more than Ethernet. Even if they give USB 3 Ethernet drivers, I'm not sure it'd help; the same adapter I'm getting 75Mb/s with on Switch caps out my 200Mb/s connection over USB 2 on my laptop. There seems to be a software issue with the Switch.

Oh thanks for that info. Was gonna ask this thread how their ethernet speeds compare to wifi on the switch. I want to get the adapter soon because I want to ensure a good connection for online gaming.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Oh thanks for that info. Was gonna ask this thread how their ethernet speeds compare to wifi on the switch. I want to get the adapter soon because I want to ensure a good connection for online gaming.
I'd recommend making sure whatever adapter you get is either the HORI or an identical chip (AX88179). The Switch supports a different chipset (the one used in the Wii adapters), but that one isn't gigabit and I believe doesn't test to the same speeds. This reddit thread lists some compatible ones; the UGREEN one in particular seems popular over there and on here.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
My launch Wii died from this kind of stuff with WiiConnect24
Man, the WiiConnect thing was something else.
For years there were reports of fried chips, disc readers no longer working and sometimes outright killing consoles.

Hopefully Nintendo fixes this issue with the Switch.
It used to be fine before the update.

Last edited:

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
My launch Wii died from this kind of stuff with WiiConnect24

the Wii got a LOT hotter though.

the switch gets hardly any warmer than your own body.

This is the switch a moment ago sitting in it's dock this morning (it's 6.30ish am here). untouched the whole night and connected to internet via usb adapter.
hSmhho1.jpg

34.6°C (94,28°F)

The switch out of it's dock
wHzoWrE.jpg

36,3°C (97,37°F)

it's backside:
YO9DpfI.jpg

36,8°C (98,24°F) <--- to be fair: I did measure 37.0°C(98,6°F) at one point (before I could hit the trigger)

Now these are all external measurments but, from experience, the internals don't get anymore hotter than + 5-10°C.
Once I find my (needle) probe I will test the internal temperature a whole night and report back in.

Also: Wouldn't the switch'es fan kick constantly in if the internal temp got anywhere near the "danger zone"?

I use a StarTech USB ethernet adapter and my Switch is perfectly cool to the touch.

not all usb adapters are affected. I have two. one stays ice cold, one heats up (see above)

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The ethernet adaptor clearly keeps something going on in the background functions because I can see activity happening
having said this, I haven't had the same problem I did with my launch unit which actually bricked from overheating probably due to this glitch

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully Nintendo fixes this issue with the Switch.
It used to be fine before the update.
It's not an issue; it's working as intended. There's nothing to fix.
As for befor the update, it's because it wasn't constantly connected to the internet, so it didn't warm up.

Launch switch, docked 24/7 with the ugreen usb 3.0 to rj45 adapter. Not a single issue.

Oct 27, 2017
so does USB 2.0 vs 3.0 make a difference? I use a 2.0 adapter and just checked today and it felt slightly warm. My wife's switch on WiFi was cold.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I always have mine docked and connected via Ethernet. Going to see if i'm getting the same deal when i return home. But man just hear all of the various incidents that can happen with the switch is pretty unusual overall compared to other console releases. Even though most aren't necessarily catastrophic, it's nonetheless concerning in general. Seems like a revision is more likely than usual now considering these factors.

Oct 26, 2017
I always have mine docked and connected via Ethernet. Going to see if i'm getting the same deal when i return home. But man just hear all of the various incidents that can happen with the switch is pretty unusual overall compared to other console releases. Even though most aren't necessarily catastrophic, it's nonetheless concerning in general. Seems like a revision is more likely than usual now considering these factors.
Nah it's par for the course really. Every console has a certain % of faults and problems. Forums and social media signal boost those problems. Switch isn't any more or less riddled with issues really.

Vitor

Oct 30, 2017
I never noticed if it was warming up, but my Switch won't wake up with the Pro Controller when I let the Ethernet cable connected and put it to sleep for a while. So I started connecting the Ethernet only when playing online or for big downloads. No more issues, but it sucks having to do that.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Can someone check if 6.0.0 fixed this? I'm now staying elsewhere because of university and I don't use ethernet here

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Dammit, I should have check before I went away for 4 days!

Can someone check please? :)