• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
EDIT:

So, this is an issue when connecting the Switch via Ethernet to the Internet. It does *NOT* happen with WiFi. It will warm up in the dock in sleep mode when there's nothing going on at all. Meaning it will get stressed and warm up overnight. If you have it in the dock 24/7 with an ethernet adapter connected, the console will be warm 24/7. Apparently this bug was introduced in the 5.0 update, it wasn't happening before. Be careful! This could affect the battery's health.

Original post:
So, yeah. This never happened to me until the last update.

When my switch is chilling in the dock in sleep mode, usually when I picked it up it would be cold/at ambient temperature. But after the latest update when I pick it up while in sleep mode in the dock, it's always warm. Not HOT, but... pretty warm. Like a phone when browsing for a extended period of time on 4G without letting it rest, it's not "it bothers me" levels of hot but it's "warm". This is not after playing. For example, if the Switch has been all night sitting in the dock while already at 100% it will be warm when I pick it up in the morning.

Again, this wasn't happening before. I'm certain of it. This is happening even after rebooting it a few times. This does *not* happen outside the dock, and the battery usage while in sleep mode is normal.

Are you all experiencing this too?

Just for the sake of giving information, I have an ethernet adapter connected to the dock. But it's been this way since almost the launch of the console and this setup has never given me any problems. In any case I'll unplug the adapter tonight and see how the console is tomorrow morning just in case.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Mine's the same as always. I played some Celeste in the morning and left in its dock at around 1 PM.
7 hours later and it's exactly the same as before.

Applesaucejaxon

Uncle actually worked at Nintendo
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Yes. It's been like that since I believe the 5.0 update. But it only happens if I have the dock connected to my Ethernet adapter. If I unplug the adapter or the Ethernet cord running to it, it doesn't warm up anymore.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had this issue with my launch Switch and eventually it stopped working so I had to get it replaced
PRoblem still occurs occasionally on this replacement one

And reading the post above me... I have it docked to an ethernet adaptor

Phil Good

Apr 25, 2018
If I remember correctly, this was mentionned as an issue for people who have their Switch connected through an Ethernet adapter. What happens is that the Switch is constantly checking for updates. It doesn't happen when connected through wifi.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yes. It's been like that since I believe the 5.0 update. But it only happens if I have the dock connected to my Ethernet adapter. If I unplug the adapter or the Ethernet cord running to it, it doesn't warm up anymore.
If I remember correctly, this was mentionned as an issue for people who have their Switch connected through an Ethernet adapter. What happens is that the Switch is constantly checking for updates. It doesn't happen when connected through wifi.
Ugh, I kinda suspected it! Thanks.

I have a brand new 5 GH AC router in my room now right next to the Switch so the ethernet adapter has become a bit unnecessary. At least until Smash launches lol. So I'll disconnect it until it's fixed!

If this wasn't a device with a battery it wouldn't worry me. But it does have a battery, soooooo not taking any chances

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
The ethernet adapter! Is that what it is? Mine is warm to the touch after sitting in sleep mode for a while.

Hmmm what should I do? unplug the ethernet over night?

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I kinda want to turn this thread into a PSA now. Can a mod change the title?
The ethernet adapter! Is that what it is? Mine is warm to the touch after sitting in sleep mode for a while.

Hmmm what should I do? unplug the ethernet over night?
Yeah, until it's fixed, connect the ethernet cable only when you're using the console

Last edited:

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is cold as always and I have a USB Ethernet adapter connected like always. Is it a particular kind of Ethernet connector?

petethepanda

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Took mine out of the dock and sure enough, it's surprisingly warm. Guess I'll unplug the ethernet adapter for now.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Mine is cold as always and I have a USB Ethernet adapter connected like always. Is it a particular kind of Ethernet connector?
I'm using this one. If you're 100% certain that the Switch doesn't get more warm in sleep mode with the adapter vs without it (please check and make sure) can you tell us which adapter you're using?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have an ethernet adapter and I haven't really noticed the Switch being warm but I rarely take it out of the dock so I'm not certain. I'm testing now.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
yeah ive had that issue for a while now. will unplug the ethernet adapter and see if that fixes it

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm using this one. If you're 100% certain that the Switch doesn't get more warm in sleep mode with the adapter vs without it (please check and make sure) can you tell us which adapter you're using?

Yea, I just went to it and checked to make sure. Put my hand all over the dock and the Switch and it's cool. Even asked my wife if she felt it anything but cool and she said it's cool (with a strange look until I explained).

Here is the one I'm using.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yea, I just went to it and checked to make sure. Put my hand all over the dock and the Switch and it's cool. Even asked my wife if she felt it anything but cool and she said it's cool (with a strange look until I explained).

Here is the one I'm using.
Weird, maybe it does depend on the adapter used
disconnected the Ethernet adapter and it doesn't get war anymore.
Local Man Ends The Korean Conflict In Just Two Seconds - Donald Trump Hates Him!

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Using the Hori Ethernet adapter

I took the Switch out and it was uh... somewhat warm. Gonna unplug the adapter

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone try turning it on in handheld, making sure the WiFi is connected, putting it in sleep mode, then placing it in the dock and see if the WiFi remains enabled and thus the Ethernet doesn't cause the system to get warm? That and the fact that I have a different Ethernet connector is the only thing I can think of that could be causing mine not to be warm.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Wow went to touch mine and it was indeed warmish! Thanks OP! I've disconnected the Ethernet adapter for now.

Fix that shit Nintendo!

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Can someone try turning it on in handheld, making sure the WiFi is connected, putting it in sleep mode, then placing it in the dock and see if the WiFi remains enabled and thus the Ethernet doesn't cause the system to get warm? That and the fact that I have a different Ethernet connector is the only thing I can think of that could be causing mine not to be warm.
What I can confirm you right now is that I never disable wifi, so whenever I put it in the dock it was already connected to wifi. But I have seem some cases of the Switch being dumb and taking long to switch to ethernet or even not do it at all until you force it in the settings. So who knows, maybe yours is not switching to ethernet.

Try this: Place it in the dock, make sure the ethernet icon is there, enter the eshop or something, put it in sleep mode, and check it in 30 minutes or so.

The last time I catched the Switch being warm I had Splatoon 2 suspended so you could try having a game suspended while also being over ethernet. Maybe that makes a difference

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this happened to my unit as well.
I've taken it off for now and just use wifi until it gets fixed.

Stormed

Jan 5, 2018
Utah
Not gonna lie, I'm really OCD about keeping my Switch in the dock 24/7 in general. My friend's unit already got warped from the heat.

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is warm in dock mode with ethernet attached (using an old official nintendo adapter). I'm going to unplug the ethernet from it.

I hope they fix that in a firmware update.

Last edited:

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
What I can confirm you right now is that I never disable wifi, so whenever I put it in the dock it was already connected to wifi. But I have seem some cases of the Switch being dumb and taking long to switch to ethernet or even not do it at all until you force it in the settings. So who knows, maybe yours is not switching to ethernet.

Try this: Place it in the dock, make sure the ethernet icon is there, enter the eshop or something, put it in sleep mode, and check it in 30 minutes or so.

The last time I catched the Switch being warm I had Splatoon 2 suspended so you could try having a game suspended while also being over ethernet. Maybe that makes a difference

I have Skyrim suspended so it probably wasn't connecting to internet for any reason at that point. Really strange and wonder if anyone else has the same experience as me.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up OP! I use the Wii LAN adapter with my Switch all the time, so I'm glad to know that this is an issue.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
The Hori adapter is the closest we have to an "official" adapter, right? That's pretty bad.

Yeah, but it's just the Gigabit USB 3.0 version of the ASIX chip first used in the Wii Ethernet Adapters. Funny enough, I prefer the Nyko Net Connect due to the nice blue LED, but I was using it for the Wii U when I got the Hori one.

Took the Switch out of the dock just now and it's cold. wow.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
No wonder it was very warm when I took it out of the dock the next day on sleep mode once. I just touched my Switch again right now just to check and it's cool since I usually turn my Switch completely off, so only sleep mode is affected it seems.

Thanks for the heads up OP.

Colossal Moo

Jan 13, 2018
This hasn't happened to my Switch. I leave my Switch in the dock all of the time and I use wired Ethernet.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It does stay connected all the time now (wi-fi). Before it would take a while to connect once you wake it, but since the update, it seems to stay connected during sleep. As further evidence, previously when buying a digital game from nintendo.com, you would get a notice saying the Switch will download the game the next time it's turned on. This has since changed to a notice telling you the software will download immediately.

Mine is always in sleep mode in the dock, connected to wi-fi, and never warm.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
..Also thread title should say "..it may warm up in the dock.."

Right now it's reminding me of that totally incorrect thread title on GAF, "Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen"

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I have an Ethernet adaptor plugged in.
I've just checked my switch and it's quite warm, although I haven't used it for almost 24hrs.

Ethernet unplugged. Thanks for the heads up.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My official Nintendo ethernet connected Switch was a tad warmish when I pulled it out of the dock to check.

Disconnected the cable just to be safe.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't use the adapter much, but I'll keep this in mind when I do. I have the same adapter as OP, so no doubt this happens to mine as well

Nov 3, 2017
I genuinely don't understand why people are acting like this is some huge flaw? The 5.0 update made the console stay connected to the internet persistently so it can instantly sync things like parental control settings.