• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
With the release of Shadowbringers, I see a lot of people complaining that even though it seems great, it's an MMO so they won't play because they need all the expansions, need to play with other people, and so on.

But hey, it actually isn't so difficult !

So here we go, how to start FFXIV:
"But it's expensive !"
- Get the Complete Edition ! On Amazon.fr, it's currently a 30€. In it, you get the base game, all expansions and 30 days of game time! Link
- You can get a cheap-ish subscription for about 12€/month. If I'm not mistaken, this allows you to play up to 1 character per world. Which shouldn't be an issue since every character can use all the jobs, classes, etc. ! No need to create another character to try out another class you might like! Also, FFS, that's about the same amount than a McDonald's Meal (YMMV depending on where you live). Worst case scenario, you eat pasta with tomato sauce two nights in a row.

"But it's online !"
- Well yeah, it's a MMO. But you can honestly do basically everything without needing to actually be social with other people. Got a dungeon to do for the main story? Hop into the LFG Queue, maybe say "Hi!" because you're polite, and off you go.
- FFXIV is one of, if not the most, the friendliest community! I'm certain that even without trying, you'll make some great encounters in the game and maybe get new friends for life :)
- There is actually a real, overarching story unfolding over the multiple expansions and such, it's not like corean MMOs where you have a world and some lore but not much story, or even WoW where every expansion is more or less it's own self contained story.

"I've heard the ARR is boring and the combat sucks !"
- Usually, those two complaints come from people that dropped the game pretty early, honestly. And it is absolutely understandable! To be fair, ARR is a slog. There are some cool moments but they are few and far between a lot of boring fetch quests. The story (and the quests) start taking off at about level 35, which represents probably about 30+ hours of game time to get there. Yeah, that's a big commitment for such a "it gets better" situation, we all know that. But it's also worth it :)
- Regarding the gameplay, it's just not true (as long as you like "MMO-tabtargeting-WoW-like" gameplay, that is). If someone complains about it, it's mostly because that person dropped the game early. Absolutely no MMO I've played up until now had interesting low level combat! And just like the story and the quests, the gameplay starts shining at around level 35 to 40, depending on your class, since this is when you'll be getting most of your end game skill kit complete. As an example, I play a White Mage as a challenge to myself since I've never healed in MMOs before. The first 5 or 6 dungeons, I was DPSing (which in this case means, pressing the same two buttons without stopping) most of the time and maybe cast cure twice during a boss battle. My kit wasn't complete, the dungeons were way too easy, and while it was fun getting new gear, the process of getting there was boring. Now (and mind you, I'm "only" level 59), I can't even talk about having a rotation since I'm never doing the same stuff twice for any given battle encounter. I gotta watch buffs, debuffs, DoTs, HoTs, placement, timers and whatnot. The level of engagement the game asks from the player, even for standard dungeons and maybe some main story encounters, is on the same level as WoW Mythic raids! Combat is intense, challenging and holy balls is it fun! But yeah, I had to get through the ARR slog to get there. AND IT WAS WORTH IT!
- But if you really can't handle all that, you can buy (with REAL money) a class boost to get you up to (I think) level 70. If you're interested in the story, I'm sure you'll find recaps on youtube.

Last but not least...
"I don't have time for an MMO!"
- Yeah we all got work, school, a social life and maybe other hobbies we'd like to attend to. But you know what, you don't need to rush through the leveling content! While a lot of MMOs get really enjoyable once you're max level, I find that FFXIV is really unique in that it actually is great starting at level 1. Sure, those 35 first levels are a slog, but the world building, the characters you meet, the politics, etc... are all top notch. You start caring about the characters and the world, you get upset when something bad happens, you become happy when something good happens, you progress in such a beautiful world where you see something new and fun around every corner. I myself am usually not able to play more than 5 hours a week, but I know I'll get to Stormblood and finally Shadowbringers eventually, so why can't you? Also It's really not that kind of MMO where you need to log in daily for multiple hours to be able to keep up with everyone. Sure, hardcore raiders will always be ahead of you, but honestly... who cares?

Some closing words...
FFXIV really is a masterpiece, and while it does have its flaws, it's definitely one of my favorite experiences of the past few years when it comes to video games. I hope that I could answer some of the questions I saw recently on Era and that some of you will consider picking this up soon :) See you in Eorzea!

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
One of those game I would really love to get into, but simply cannot justify paying 12 euro a month with so maaaaaaaaaaany other games available and occupying my time now or in the future. Simply a "waste" of money.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One of those game I would really love to get into, but simply cannot justify paying 12 euro a month with so maaaaaaaaaaany other games available and occupying my time now or in the future. Simply a "waste" of money.
This I can actually understand. I picked it up a month ago because I was looking at everything coming out in the next months, and except DQ11S and Judgement, there was nothing else interesting.

Off topic sorry, but I feel attacked.

Funnily enough, my social life started using way more of my free time once I started FFXIV :'(

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017

You can try it for free. The free trial doesn't need a sub and you can play up until level 35.

Dec 1, 2017
I'd totally re-up my subscription if I didn't have a backlog + releases I'm interested this summer but this is a good sell for what is a seemingly traditional MMO experience.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread I agree with everything you said! And I'll say even if the early ARR story-line is a slog, it all comes together at the end and really makes you feel like your character has grown through a long journey.

Larfl33ze

Oct 25, 2017
I want to play XIV but man do I not want to "play" it. I wanna start at the new stuff I've tried playing the early stuff 3 times and it just loses me.

May 17, 2018
I'm just now getting into it, and I'm liking it so far, but, my only complaint is that it seems super easy right now. I'm level 10 and am still yet to come across a battle where I even find myself at half-health.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I stopped between ARR 2.x and 2.3? 2.4? And would have loved to skip it without having to buy something with money just to get the new stuff. I really wanna come back :/ I miss Ultros!

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I tried it and really REALLY didn't like it :( but I love ready stories about it :)
I have always been in love with the stories as well, but as soon as you get over the initial information overload, it's an amazing game to play at your own pace. Learning the different carreers is fun.
Exploring black holes in search of loot. Hacking containers, only to get ambushed. Fighting back, winning and getting a brand new ship!

It's awesome :D

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
"It gets better after 30 hours"

giphy.gif

Life's too short and there are too many good games to play for that.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I've been curious about the game but that whole "paying x amount for the base game" then paying 12 bucks a month isn't appealing to me. I have so many games I've bought and haven't played, so I don't wanna give myself a money based time-limit as incentive to play a game.

This sucks because I love the FF series, but I can't justify it with my wallet. If they had a $60 year package with all the DLC I'd do it

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just now getting into it, and I'm liking it so far, but, my only complaint is that it seems super easy right now. I'm level 10 and am still yet to come across a battle where I even find myself at half-health.
As I said, you'll have to wait for level ~35 for the challenge to start creeping in :) The beginning is indeed extremely easy.

I stopped between ARR 2.x and 2.3? 2.4? And would have loved to skip it without having to buy something with money just to get the new stuff. I really wanna come back :/ I miss Ultros!
Yeah those 2.x storylines nearly killed me with boredom. I've been told multiple times that 3.x and 4.x are way better and most of all way quicker.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
30 hours for a game to get going is absolutely not worth it. I got up to the 35 region, heard people say it gets better, but couldn't care less. FFXIV is the game where I promised myself if I'm not gripped in the first few hours, I'm out. Never again.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As I said, you'll have to wait for level ~35 for the challenge to start creeping in :) The beginning is indeed extremely easy.

Yeah those 2.x storylines nearly killed me with boredom. I've been told multiple times that 3.x and 4.x are way better and most of all way quicker.

Gotta look up if I can skip that content with my main and just start Heavensward. I love the battles against Titan and Garuda etc. and I think the Mogry King or Ramuh were the ones I had to defeat next. On the other hand I currently play Judgment and there is more to come huh... Stop talking about FFXIV! I don't have enough time for that :D

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already have a MMO, a social life, and a job to work. You are telling me to add Final Fantasy 14 to the list too?

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
30 hours for a game to get going is absolutely not worth it. I got up to the 35 region, heard people say it gets better, but couldn't care less. FFXIV is the game where I promised myself if I'm not gripped in the first few hours, I'm out. Never again.
That's too bad, because it's actually the only game I've played where the "it gets better after x hours" saying is true!

I already have a MMO, a social life, and a job to work. You are telling me to add Final Fantasy 14 to the list too?
Hell yeah!

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing to add: The combat and slow story are the weak points of levels 1-35, but the world more than makes up for it. The game masterfully propels you from beautiful location to beautiful location, and that is the appeal of the early game. This gradually expanding beautiful world.

Oct 27, 2017
I find it hard to justify a game with a monthly subscription, as I tend to play things pretty casually. It's a shame, as I think I'd probably like FFXIV as a 'comfort food' sort of game, that I'll keep going back to for years to come, but if I'm paying £10 a month (plus the cost of the game), it feels like throwing money away to only play it for a few hours at a time here and there.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
The only way I'll get into FFXIV is if someone pays for it instead of me.

So in other words, never gonna happen (among other reasons such as time, etc).

Too many other games to play that are much more worth the time and effort to invest on.

IvanJCroft

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Venezuela
- FFXIV is one of, if not the most, the friendliest community! I'm certain that even without trying, you'll make some great encounters in the game and maybe get new friends for life :)
This right here.
I've met incredible people in this game, my XIV friends are the reason I could get out of the nightmare that is Venezuela.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I've got a few really good friends that play it, and I'd like to get into it myself but I just can't devote that much time to the game. I think I got to the Shiva stuff in the MSQ when I ended up stopping.

Any time I've ever played an MMO, I end up spending all of my gaming time almost exclusively on that. There are way too many games I want to play to for me to really justify that, but it sucks because I would've loved to experience the FFT content, or the Nier content coming up. Even though I probably never would've played Nier automata if I were playing FFXIV at the time it came out.

The game is gorgeous, it's fun, I like the story and world. I just can't put the time in to it.

Jafku1

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Are expansions region locked? I bought Shadowbringers from cdkeys but apparently it's an EU code and i'm here in the US.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
I started on the free trial last weekend and enjoyed my time enough to go ahead and buy the full version. I'm lvl 23 right now. The story is meh so far but I hear it picks up as OP said. It's a great Netflix game, which is what I was looking for. It's something I can fire up and make progress in without having to devote my full attention to it at the lower levels.

Oct 28, 2017
My two big complaints about XIV is how absolutely cluttered your hotbar gets, how ARR is actually pretty crap. It's really only good compared to 1.0.
Heavensward on the other hand is really good.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually been really considering it. Are Dragoons in this are they cool? I wanna be a Dragoon

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
As much as I really want to get into the game, subscription games just really fuck with me. I feel like if I pay for it I have to devote all my time to it to get my money's worth and I hate that pressure. The music and story are so appealing though. I dunno, just can't commit.

And you can't make a trial account if you played in the beta way back on PS3, and I've been salty about that for years.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
How many hours do you reckon it takes to play through the base game and all expansions, starting from level 1? Like, to the closest hundred-hour mark.

I feel like I need to play one MMO in my life just to experience what they're like, but the time investment intimidates me.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Actually been really considering it. Are Dragoons in this are they cool? I wanna be a Dragoon
Yeah and yeah. Just look at that greatness:
latest

How many hours do you reckon it takes to play through the base game and all expansions, starting from level 1? Like, to the closest hundred-hour mark.

I feel like I need to play one MMO in my life just to experience what they're like, but the time investment intimidates me.
Unfortunately there's no /played command (afaik) in FFXIV. I'm at level 57 story quests and I think I should have about 60 hours played, but I can't be sure.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The 30 hours before things get good wouldn't be so bad if it was a Guild Wars or ESO situation, it would feel way better if I could log in when I felt like it and didn't feel forced to log in because I'm paying monthly for it + the paid expansions.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
With the release of Shadowbringers, I see a lot of people complaining that even though it seems great, it's an MMO so they won't play because they need all the expansions, need to play with other people, and so on.

But hey, it actually isn't so difficult !

So here we go, how to start FFXIV:
"But it's expensive !"
- Get the Complete Edition ! On Amazon.fr, it's currently a 30€. In it, you get the base game, all expansions and 30 days of game time! Link
- You can get a cheap-ish subscription for about 12€/month. If I'm not mistaken, this allows you to play up to 1 character per world. Which shouldn't be an issue since every character can use all the jobs, classes, etc. ! No need to create another character to try out another class you might like! Also, FFS, that's about the same amount than a McDonald's Meal (YMMV depending on where you live). Worst case scenario, you eat pasta with tomato sauce two nights in a row.

"But it's online !"
- Well yeah, it's a MMO. But you can honestly do basically everything without needing to actually be social with other people. Got a dungeon to do for the main story? Hop into the LFG Queue, maybe say "Hi!" because you're polite, and off you go.
- There is actually a real, overarching story unfolding over the multiple expansions and such, it's not like corean MMOs where you have a world and some lore but not much story, or even WoW where every expansion is more or less it's own self contained story.

"I've heard the ARR is boring and the combat sucks !"
- Usually, those two complaints come from people that dropped the game pretty early, honestly. And it is absolutely understandable! To be fair, ARR is a slog. There are some cool moments but they are few and far between a lot of boring fetch quests. The story (and the quests) start taking off at about level 35, which represents probably about 30+ hours of game time to get there. Yeah, that's a big commitment for such a "it gets better" situation, we all know that. But it's also worth it :)
- Regarding the gameplay, it's just not true (as long as you like "MMO-tabtargeting-WoW-like" gameplay, that is). If someone complains about it, it's mostly because that person dropped the game early. Absolutely no MMO I've played up until now had interesting low level combat! And just like the story and the quests, the gameplay starts shining at around level 35 to 40, depending on your class, since this is when you'll be getting most of your end game skill kit complete. As an example, I play a White Mage as a challenge to myself since I've never healed in MMOs before. The first 5 or 6 dungeons, I was DPSing (which in this case means, pressing the same two buttons without stopping) most of the time and maybe cast cure twice during a boss battle. My kit wasn't complete, the dungeons were way too easy, and while it was fun getting new gear, the process of getting there was boring. Now (and mind you, I'm "only" level 59), I can't even talk about having a rotation since I'm never doing the same stuff twice for any given battle encounter. I gotta watch buffs, debuffs, DoTs, HoTs, placement, timers and whatnot. The level of engagement the game asks from the player, even for standard dungeons and maybe some main story encounters, is on the same level as WoW Mythic raids! Combat is intense, challenging and holy balls is it fun! But yeah, I had to get through the ARR slog to get there. AND IT WAS WORTH IT!
- But if you really can't handle all that, you can buy (with REAL money) a class boost to get you up to (I think) level 70. If you're interested in the story, I'm sure you'll find recaps on youtube.

Last but not least...
"I don't have time for an MMO!"
- Yeah we all got work, school, a social life and maybe other hobbies we'd like to attend to. But you know what, you don't need to rush through the leveling content! While a lot of MMOs get really enjoyable once you're max level, I find that FFXIV is really unique in that it actually is great starting at level 1. Sure, those 35 first levels are a slog, but the world building, the characters you meet, the politics, etc... are all top notch. You start caring about the characters and the world, you get upset when something bad happens, you become happy when something good happens, you progress in such a beautiful world where you see something new and fun around every corner. I myself am usually not able to play more than 5 hours a week, but I know I'll get to Stormblood and finally Shadowbringers eventually, so why can't you? Also It's really not that kind of MMO where you need to log in daily for multiple hours to be able to keep up with everyone. Sure, hardcore raiders will always be ahead of you, but honestly... who cares?

Some closing words...
FFXIV really is a masterpiece, and while it does have its flaws, it's definitely one of my favorite experiences of the past few years when it comes to video games. I hope that I could answer some of the questions I saw recently on Era and that some of you will consider picking this up soon :) See you in Eorzea!

I resubbed last week oN PS4 after not playing it for years since it's release on the console. Reached level 28 archer and since the resub I've reached level 31 and just got the bard class unlocked. The MSQ im on is about level 23 quests so I still got a ways to go. When you say it starts getting interesting at level 35-40 do you mean the story quests from those levels onwards or your character?

I'm enjoying it but made a rule as not to only play this game and nothing else just because I'm paying for it as I simply don't want to spend all my gaming time on an mmorpg and miss out on other games I'd normally play.

I'm not a massive mmorpg fan and only played vanilla WoW when it came out up to level 60 and not much else since in this genre. That's the reason I unsubbed FFXIV before though because I wanted to play other games. As a result I don't play it everyday since resubbing, which is fine for now. Obviously if it gets better and I'm more engaged in it I'm gonna play it a lot more.

Anyway so far the MSQ is kinda boring tbh and I don't really get what's going on. It's kinda just there and hard to follow who all these characters and places are and why I'm even doing these quests. Seems to be many factions and people you can help.

They tell you to go all over the area maps from one place to another constantly and the story just isn't that interesting so far. The bit I'm on now is all this sylph characters nonsense where there's some kinda spy or human in their area. It's ok but it's not engaging me at all. I hope it gets better.

It's also very wordy and npcs just go on and on with hard to read dialects. It becomes a bit tedious to read all the dialog all the time. It's like written in Shakespeare at times it feels.

The actual gameplay and combat seem good though. Even though I'm onlu usually spamming 2-3 moves and not paying any attention to why I'm doing these moves or when. Just pressing whatever isn't on cooldown.

There also seems to be a lot to do and content. Loads of preofessions to level up as well as classes and there's an absurd number of sidequests you can do.

I find it pretty confusing as to how useful any of the content is though at times? Like there's so much of it but it doesn't seem all that rewarding or any payoff in terms of rare loot or rewards?

Like what's the point of actually crafting stuff? Going to the gold saucer to play mini games, playing triple triad, doing leve quests etc?

There's so much there but whenever I try to do any of it I always wonder why I'm doing it as I dont really see a point to it or any payoff? I mean it's good it's there but i wish the game gave you a clearer picture on what the end result is in doing any of the side stuff?

Like if it's just superficial visual stuff or a title on your character or whatnot instead of useful items or equipment or abilities I don't see the point in any of the side content.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is honestly the only MMO I will ever consider playing. I just wish I could pay for the amount of time I spend in it and not monthly (optimally f2p, but I'm not getting my hopes up for that). current gaming with all its daily quests and whatnot already makes me feel bad sometimes for not playing this and that, so I don't think I could sub this without feeling literally forced to play it to get my money's worth.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm 45 hours in, level 55 and at the early stages of the first expansion.

Guessing at least 75+ to get to Shadowbringers.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I don't think the game is going to grab new players. Lvl1-50 is simply atrocious. It takes what? 100-150h before it gets good?

Nov 6, 2017
As much as I really want to get into the game, subscription games just really fuck with me. I feel like if I pay for it I have to devote all my time to it to get my money's worth and I hate that pressure. The music and story are so appealing though. I dunno, just can't commit.

And you can't make a trial account if you played in the beta way back on PS3, and I've been salty about that for years.

If you make a new account with a different email and new square enix account you get a link to download the free trial on your PS4. I did this a few weeks ago and have been able to play with my old account from when I tried it on PS3.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
If you make a new account with a different email and new square enix account you get a link to download the free trial on your PS4. I did this a few weeks ago and have been able to play with my old account from when I tried it on PS3.
I will try that out now, thank you! I tried to get the free trial download link with my old account and it just gave me the no go.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish SE would make all ARR content ftp so I could actually convince my friends to play...

That makes so much sense, I'm surprised they haven't done it. The free trial is apparently up to level 35, and according to this thread level 35 is specifically where the quests begin to get good. So the free trial as it is now only features the very worst part of the game and stops right before it gets good. It's perverse - surely you want to give prospective customers at least a taste of how good the game could be?

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I'm not paying monthly for an MMO ever again. I've already got enough monthly drains on my bank account. Plus I need to pay for 2 accounts $25-30 a month is too much.

My hope is that XVI takes place in that world.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
All these people complaining about paying a $12 subs when in my country it is a $50 sub in local money with the game costing over $200...

Just buy the game if you wanna try it so much, you can finish the msq in two months give it or take, then sub again to finish the rest. You don't need to get married to it, at least you can pay a fair price for it.

*cries in portuguese*