• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Why are seemingly intelligent people incapable of using air conditioning controls? I can't be the only one who encounters this?

Air-Conditioner-Remote-Control-Symbols.jpg

Use the auto function and set it to 21 degrees Celsius, or 70 degrees F if you use the stupid units.

And then leave it the fuck alone.

It does not cool faster if you put it on 18. And if you put it on 18 and heat, it does nothing, dumb people in my office.

End of PSA.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
if you wont admit you just want nick cage con air gifs in this thread i will never acknowledge you again

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Also annoying when people think "well it's winter, the AC has been fine for months at 21 but lets ramp it up to 25 for no reason".

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
If I was to turn on a dehumidifier only to see Pac-Man gobbling a power pellet I'd probably just give up.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck the people that put the A/C on max cooling whenever it's mildly warm. I don't want to feel like I'm in Antarctica in Summer.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
68 in the summer and 72 in the winter.

nice blast of cold when it's hot outside, and the sweet escape to warmth when it's cold outside.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's an office AC, then you may as well just learn coping techniques and move on. You're never going to beat the old ladies in that fight.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also OP, most spaces don't have perfect circulation in every room. Just because the sensor on the thermostat is picking up 70, doesn't mean it's actually 70 everywhere. This is why people crank heat up higher in the winter than they run AC in the summer. I'm a 70 man during the summer, but I run the heat at 72-74 during the winter.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I think the valuable info buried in that OP is this:

The temperature you set your AC/Heat to is what you want the temperature of your room(s) to be, not the temperature of the conditioned air coming out of the unit itself.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I have the floor thermostat in my office but it does nothing.

The thermostats are completely unreliable too in office settings where it's not a central thermostat... like, this thermostat is on the wall of *my office* which is an enclosed space, and so my office is typically warmer than it is in the open air hallway or other offices/spaces that have their doors open all day.

I don't fuck with it at all. Sometimes in the summer people come into my office complaining about how cold it is on the floor and I have to explain that the thermostats do nothing.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My work building doesn't have controllable thermostats so we are at the mercy of the super, stays pretty pleasant most of the time.

As for my house, 63f during winter while we're home (55 overnight), 78 in the summer. Oil is expensive and my house is a drafty barn so it's just under blankets all winter pretty much. My wife hates me but even with these harsh settings I'm still spending $300
-$400 a month on oil in the winter depending on how cold it is.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
also OP, most spaces don't have perfect circulation in every room. Just because the sensor on the thermostat is picking up 70, doesn't mean it's actually 70 everywhere. This is why people crank heat up higher in the winter than they run AC in the summer. I'm a 70 man during the summer, but I run the heat at 72-74 during the winter.
Woah 72-74 is pretty hot. For winter I'm usually between 67-69, but I've noticed when I go above that I need to have like 3 humidifiers going or my skin dries right out.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, we know that F isn't the best - I'd bet that most of us on Era would agree that the metric system is the way to go. No need to let us know that it's stupid.
In this specific circumstance, I'd argue that the U.S. units are actually better. There's more precision with a larger scale.

Also, celsius isn't the metric system. lol

Can't imagine not having it. It'd be like living without running water. Barbaric.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If only.
Some genius thought giving us a phone app was the solution to everything, so you don't even know who's fucking with it. I expect this year to see a repeat of last summer's Great AC Wars.
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait

WAIT....... they gave a phone app for the AC to everyone in the officer. You sure you weren't part of a social experiment or hidden camera show? That shit sounds diabolical

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
omggg people a friend of mine puts the AC on the lowest possible setting. I have to explain EVERY DAMN TIME it doesn't make it colder. If it's just running on cold the entire time, you're wasting electricity and overloading the workings of the AC.

Keep it on 70f and be done with it. Put the fan on high if you want.

Then he opens a fucking window.