• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
65-68f is what ours stays on. 65f during the winter and 68f in the summer. 66/67f if it's really hot out or if I'm doing anything really active inside. I get hot at 68f+.

omggg people a friend of mine puts the AC on the lowest possible setting. I have to explain EVERY DAMN TIME it doesn't make it colder. If it's just running on cold the entire time, you're wasting electricity and overloading the workings of the AC.

Keep it on 70f and be done with it. Put the fan on high if you want.

Then he opens a fucking window.

Doesn't get colder? Is it just "cold/hot" or nothing?

I tested my AC when we first bought our house (brand new AC unit). I got it down to 58 during the summer just to see if it would do it, LOL. It did...and I never tried that again. (it actually started to cause moisture to build up and drip off the vents)

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
80-82 in the summer and off in the winter since I live in Arizona. Don't understand how people keep it in the 60's, that's miserably cold. Why would i want to put layers on while I'm inside?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
65-68f is what ours stays on. 65f during the winter and 68f in the summer. 66/67f if it's really hot out or if I'm doing anything really active inside. I get hot at 68f+.

Doesn't get colder? Is it just "cold/hot" or nothing?

I tested my AC when we first bought our house (brand new AC unit). I got it down to 58 during the summer just to see if it would do it, LOL. It did...and I never tried that again. (it actually started to cause moisture to build up and drip off the vents)
You have to understand how an AC works. It doesn't ever get 'colder' the compressor which blows the cold air just stays on longer. Then when the room hits 70f, it goes on to fan until the the room goes above 75f-80f, rinse and repeat. It's not magic lmao

All ACs are,
on-cold-lowfan, on-cold-mediumfan, on-cold-highfan (set temp to whatever you want your room to be, fan setting just gets the room cold quicker)
on-lowfan, on-medium-fan, on-high-fan (no temp)
auto/energysave
off

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
80-82 in the summer and off in the winter since I live in Arizona. Don't understand how people keep it in the 60's, that's miserably cold. Why would i want to put layers on while I'm inside?

I had my thermostat set to 80 something when the apartment building turned the heat on this fall, and when I got home that day, it felt like I was opening an oven when I opened my apartment door. I swear random objects in my apartment were still radiating heat for hours after I turned the thermostat back down, too.

How can you live like that?

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Do friends come over your place in the Summer? Be honest.
Yup. We have ceiling fans in each room so there's lots of air movement and I'll turn it down to 78 when friends come over. When it's 110 outside, 78 feels cold.

I'll admit 80 took a bit of getting used to from mid 70's my roommates used to do way back when but i walk around all day in only shorts and with the ceiling fans blowing I think it's perfect now.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I usually stay at 75-78 during the summer and 67-68 during the winter (and I put it on 65 when I'm asleep or at work). I can't afford the electric bills on the heat. It gets so expensive. I would like to have the heat a little higher, but for every degree the bill goes up a lot.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
You have to understand how an AC works. It doesn't ever get 'colder' the compressor which blows the cold air just stays on longer. Then when the room hits 70f, it goes on to fan until the the room goes above 75f-80f, rinse and repeat. It's not magic lmao

All ACs are,
on-cold-lowfan, on-cold-mediumfan, on-cold-highfan (set temp to whatever you want your room to be, fan setting just gets the room cold quicker)
on-lowfan, on-medium-fan, on-high-fan (no temp)
auto/energysave
off

Are you talking about window units?

My system doesn't have fan settings. Just temperature settings, presets (energy saver for example), or custom routines. It definitely can push the temperature to wherever I want it. It doesn't stop at 70 if I set it to 60. It can darn near freeze your out of the house. Also, it shuts completely off when it reaches the temperature I set it to. The fan doesn't continue to run.

Maybe there's something you're trying to say that I'm missing here/misunderstanding?

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
I set my room temperature to around 75 in the winter. I feel if I put it higher I start sweating.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

My system doesn't have fan settings. Just temperature settings, presets (energy saver for example), or custom routines. It definitely can push the temperature to wherever I want it. It doesn't stop at 70 if I set it to 60. It can darn near freeze your out of the house. Also, it shuts completely off when it reaches the temperature I set it to. The fan doesn't continue to run.

Maybe there's something you're trying to say that I'm missing here/misunderstanding?
They are basically saying the AC is going to blow the same cold air no matter what you set the temp to. If you set it to 70F it isn't blowing 70F air, it's blowing colder air that mixes with the room temperature air to make the room colder. It keeps mixing the cold air until the desired temperature is reached and then it stops.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

I am yeah! Window units. Too poor to afford central air lol So I will concede a few points, but the concept is the same even for central air.
They are basically saying the AC is going to blow the same cold air no matter what you set the temp to. If you set it to 70F it isn't blowing 70F air, it's blowing colder air that mixes with the room temperature air to make the room colder. It keeps mixing the cold air until the desired temperature is reached and then it stops.
Exactly. Appreciate you putting it better than I could. Need coffee.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
If only there was some device that could measure temperature, we could finally put this age old argument to rest.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are also two-stage air conditioners that once they reach the desired temperature, they switch to a mode that maintains that temperature rather than turning off, but that doesn't really change the argument. Setting the temperature to something lower than what you want doesn't speed anything up, and ends up wasting energy.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
What is up with some of those "Auto" icons? Why do some of them look like faces or hurricanes?

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How hard is it to use actually logical universal fucking pictograms? What is this pacman shit?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I am yeah! Window units. Too poor to afford central air lol So I will concede a few points, but the concept is the same even for central air.

Ok, we're on the same page now. Gotcha

Basically, when cooling, it would blow "20 degree air" no matter what, but only blows it the allotted time to get to a certain "mixed air" temperature.

đź‘Ť

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep mine at 68 at all times because I'm a woman of taste and culture, but I'll up it to 69 if I'm feeling dangerous

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I'm so disappointed to realize that I misread this title and I don't get to talk about my favorite trashy action movie of all time.

Freestyler

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone print out this thread and post it to my co-workers thx.

They put the AC on and then open all the windows to get airflow. I don't know how many times I've told them that they're basically air conditioning the outside world (and not our office) when the windows are open.

OP
OP
shinra-bansho

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
In this specific circumstance, I'd argue that the U.S. units are actually better. There's more precision with a larger scale.

Also, celsius isn't the metric system. lol

Can't imagine not having it. It'd be like living without running water. Barbaric.
Eh, you have decimals in either.
I think the valuable info buried in that OP is this:

The temperature you set your AC/Heat to is what you want the temperature of your room(s) to be, not the temperature of the conditioned air coming out of the unit itself.
Yes, this is very important.
But without understanding the functions people do stupid things like set it to heat and then a cold temperature, or cool and then a hot temperature. Both of which will result in an AC doing nothing.