• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
What most likely happened is that they did a last minute patch that they thought would be safe for something else. And since it was last minute, they didn't do a full playthrough of the game on Switch to make sure it didn't break something else.

Companies leave bugs in all the time because they don't have the time before launch to fix it or because they don't think it's big enough to be worth the cost, but no company is going to intentionally leave an unavoidable bug that prevents everyone from finishing the game.
Since it wasn't in the reviews this is likely in the case. And other than that this collection seems better than the first one

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, bugs are graded based on 1) Chance of it happening and 2) Severity when it does happen. 100% chance of it happening during a playthrough is as bad as it gets there and the only bugs that would be considered more severe than "Hard lock preventing the player from continuing past this point" would be bugs that opens the company up to lawsuits (like intentionally installing a virus or bricking the hardware). There's no way on earth that NISA knew about this bug and said "Ship it!"

OP
OP
Mullet2000

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, bugs are graded based on 1) Chance of it happening and 2) Severity when it does happen. 100% chance of it happening during a playthrough is as bad as it gets there and the only bugs that would be considered more severe than "Hard lock preventing the player from continuing past this point" would be bugs that opens the company up to lawsuits (like intentionally installing a virus or bricking the hardware). There's no way on earth that NISA knew about this bug and said "Ship it!"

Someone should play it off the cart without the day one patch and see if it still happens. Would settle the question.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Considering this is the publisher that changed an Atelier character name to "Etsy Dee" because "lol STD jokes are funny", not shocked that this collection is bugged.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
i had phantom brave crash a few times on me on switch as well, not sure what the deal is

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I've got this pre-ordered from a recent sale, but this is classic NIS through and through. I've got a sizeable backlog, so I'll guess I'll wait until the "Playdate".

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
Wasn't going to buy this early anyway...ZHP IS great, but $60 for ports of 2 old games (one of them portable) is pretty crazy....

OP
OP
Mullet2000

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
NIS currently has a launch stream happening:

m.twitch.tv

NISAmerica - Twitch

NIS America is Japanese game publisher of such wonderful titles as Disgaea, The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie, Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society, Ys IX: Monstrum Nox, and GrimGrimoire Once More.

I went in and put "PSA Makai Kingdom is busted on Switch. Unavoidable crash bug in a cutscene in Chapter 5 and it's impossible to progress past it" in chat and they instant-banned me from chat within like...5 seconds.

Not unexpected behaviour from NIS I guess, but, lol.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

m.twitch.tv

NISAmerica - Twitch

NIS America is Japanese game publisher of such wonderful titles as Disgaea, The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie, Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society, Ys IX: Monstrum Nox, and GrimGrimoire Once More.

I went in and put "PSA Makai Kingdom is busted on Switch. Unavoidable crash bug in a cutscene in Chapter 5 and it's impossible to progress past it" in chat and they instant-banned me from chat within like...5 seconds.

Godlike.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell

m.twitch.tv

NISAmerica - Twitch

Sounds like they were fully aware then.

I may just be done with these clowns.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

m.twitch.tv

NISAmerica - Twitch

And people said they had learned from the Ys VIII localization screw-up.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
If they banned you for five seconds for saying that, why haven't they said anything about fixing the issue? Are they essentially taking people's money for nostalgia?

Sounds like Nintendo should get involved and tell them 'what's what' if NIS isn't going to fix it. Although this isn't the first time Nintendo has looked the other way on game crashing bugs.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a week and no official statement about it, for a game that has a major game breaking bug, that reviewers didn't even acknowledge, this is insane.
I'm a massive NIS fan but I will wait as much as needed before buying this, I've heard Codeglue isn't making Vol.3 so at least there's hope.

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a week and no official statement about it, for a game that has a major game breaking bug, that reviewers didn't even acknowledge, this is insane.
I'm a massive NIS fan but I will wait as much as needed before buying this, I've heard Codeglue isn't making Vol.3 so at least there's hope.

NISA's Europe branch said in a tweet reply when i mentioned it on their announcement:

"We are aware of issues with Makai Kingdom, and we have forwarded these reports internally. We will share any updates we receive. Thank you for your patience and understanding."

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017

m.twitch.tv

NISAmerica - Twitch

I.........what the absolute fuck?

OP
OP
Mullet2000

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Over a week out, NIS America Finally acknowledged this on their twitter today:

"Some Users"
lul.png

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Fucking NISA. I quit buying their games new after Atelier Iris 1 had a bug that caused the game to crash in the final boss fight. They're definitely the worst publisher around. They're constantly leaving in game breaking bugs into their games.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking NISA. I quit buying their games new after Atelier Iris 1 had a bug that caused the game to crash in the final boss fight. They're definitely the worst publisher around. They're constantly leaving in game breaking bugs into their games.
Wait. Ar tonelico 2 isn't the only game they broke the final boss fight of?

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
No. Atelier Iris 1 crashes during the final boss fight if you have the audio set to English. You have to change it to Japanese audio to be able to beat the game.
Well, to be fair, if you play a JRPG with an English dub, you deserve everything you get.

I'm deadly serious

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To be transparent I only got my review key this week and have been putting more time into ZHP, I haven't gotten to makai kingdom yet. Thanks for this heads up. When I get to my review for hackinformer for both games, I will mention this crash and the status at the time of writing.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
downloaded the patch myself but haven't gotten there yet. anyone test it out?

The NIS Discord say it works

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Well, to be fair, if you play a JRPG with an English dub, you deserve everything you get.

I'm deadly serious

I know English. I don't know Japanese. I'll play a Japanese game with an English dub every time that's an option.

To be transparent I only got my review key this week and have been putting more time into ZHP, I haven't gotten to makai kingdom yet. Thanks for this heads up. When I get to my review for hackinformer for both games, I will mention this crash and the status at the time of writing.

How does ZHP run? That's the one I care about. I never did like Makai Kingdom.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know English. I don't know Japanese. I'll play a Japanese game with an English dub every time that's an option.

How does ZHP run? That's the one I care about. I never did like Makai Kingdom.
It runs nicely. Granted i didn't put too much time on the PSP version so this time around Im actually invested and i haven't had issues and been enjoying it quite a bit.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Just picked this up after seeing it was patched. It's been a long time since I played Makai Kingdom, and ZHP is something I never got to put any time into, so this should be fun.

I also know English and don't know Japanese, but thankfully they offer subtitles and I'm capable of reading. The dubs are absolutely trash almost every time, so I'm thankful for that.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
NiS America is fucking garbage. The whole debacle with Ys VIII's voice acting and localization being so bad it had to all to be REDONE in a patch feels like a fever dream (and even the patched VA is still bad, just not as bad).

But I've known NiSA sucks since the PS2, when their NA version of Ar Tonelico 2 had somehow enabled cut content during the final boss, where the final boss uses an unfinished attack that crashes the game 100% of the time. That shit is so bafflingly terrible that I'll never forget it or give them benefit of the doubt, so this new issue with Makai Kingdom doesn't surprise me at all.

The ar tornelico 2 was not the final boss but the optional super boss, but still stupid they didnt correct it.

Same thing happen in secret dungeon of mana khemia on psp and DS version of Rapsody. Like it was a trademark... this is terrible.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I have 0 expectations for the La Pucelle/Rhapsody release now and will just treat it like a surprise release if it launches without bugs.

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
Seems extremely unlikely, but does anyone know if there's a revised cart with the patch on it? I have Volumes 1 and 3 now and it looks dumb on my shelf. I guess, at the very least, I'll be able to download the patch and play through it but I'm definitely going to want to play Makai Kingdom on my Switch in 2052.

OP
OP
Mullet2000

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So as a heads up, NIS Classics Vol 3 released about a week ago and unbelievably has the SAME issue in one of the games. La Pucelle has a consistent crash in a chapter 9 cutscene that is not skippable. The game is not able to be progressed past this point and cannot be completed. So far, no patch. You can't make this up.

Seems extremely unlikely, but does anyone know if there's a revised cart with the patch on it? I have Volumes 1 and 3 now and it looks dumb on my shelf. I guess, at the very least, I'll be able to download the patch and play through it but I'm definitely going to want to play Makai Kingdom on my Switch in 2052.

There's been no revisions that I am aware of.

Jan 6, 2019
I returned my copy of volume 3 to Gamestop. This will be the last game I ever buy from this company, because if they don't care, why should I?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I returned my copy of volume 3 to Gamestop. This will be the last game I ever buy from this company, because if they don't care, why should I?

I haven't bought a game new from NISA since Atelier Iris 1. Every game they release has game breaking bugs in it. It's kind of impressive how a company that has been localizing and publishing games for almost 20 years can still be so incompetent.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
So as a heads up, NIS Classics Vol 3 released about a week ago and unbelievably has the SAME issue in one of the games. La Pucelle has a consistent crash in a chapter 9 cutscene that is not skippable. The game is not able to be progressed past this point and cannot be completed. So far, no patch. You can't make this up.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.