• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could have a at least sell it at $249.99. Even the fucking controllers that will eventually need to be warrantied they cant seem offer for a decent price.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the best selling and therefor most desired game on the console...

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
old model.... so youre telling me people can still buy the old switch models that can be always hacked?. That doesnt seem like a negative.
Also nothing reads like a scam on it... Hyperbole much?

I agree that it's not a scam, this kind of thing happens all the time. But if these models are from bundles made for Black Friday 2018, it's likely that they're too new to be hackable, and (obviously) too old to have improved battery life. So basically the worst of all possibilities.

This is really more of a "buyer beware" situation, it'll still sell and it's still worthy of being sold. It's a working, brand-new Switch. It's just not quite as good as other Switch models.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
giphy.gif

Jun 20, 2019
Oh, so it's the old model for the regular price? Lol, earlier I went to BestBuy's site because I wanted to track a purchase, saw they had BF deals previews and when I noticed the Switch bundle I thought "Well, it's the new model so it makes sense".
They can get away with it though because most people won't even notice, but they should've at least dropped the price by $50.
Now watch the Nintendo investors claim that it's completely OK as stock will sell and Nintendo benefits from doing this.
They're bundling it with the best selling game on the system, a game that something like 20 million people were willing to pay full price for.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Odds that Nintendo will put a sticker or some sort of notice that it's OG Switch for consumer transparency??

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
"with the exact same old Wii U port of Mario Kart included as last year" - uh, you mean the best selling Switch game that has I think an over 50% ownership rate, that almost every person that buys a new Switch buys together with it, and is still sold at full or close to full price except during rare sales?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
There's absolutely nothing wrong with bundling MK8D, i.e. the best selling game on the system. The game people would likely buy first or second regardless.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not a scam, grow up. It's not like the old version is some god awful piece of hardware. Now, would it be good to see a lower price? Absolutely, but they have no reason to. It's still $60 off retail (maybe less depending on sales on MK). I do wonder what the deals will be next year though, no way they keep the same price once again with all the new hardware out by then.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Care to explain to me what exaclty is scummy here?

Because outside of battery life, there's zero difference between the old and new model in terms of functionality and features.
Selling the old shit at the same price when all the old systems have been taken off the shelf (can speak on Target about that part) is scummy unless they advertise it as the old ass model you're getting in this bundle. It's like a car dealer passing off a 2019 as a 2020.

Last edited:

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Almost a 6 year old game hahahaha :( come the fuck on gimme Mario kart 9

Sucks but yeah :[ looks like im finally gonna call nintendo on repairing my broken Switch screen. . ..I was waiting on a black Friday deal for that rumored leaked $200 from Walmart but meh

Tell people to stop buying it and enjoying it

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Odds that Nintendo will put a sticker or some sort of notice that it's OG Switch for consumer transparency??
Definitely not. No way a big enough stir will be made about it.

Sure, this is a roundabout and scummy way to clear stock, but many of those looking to buy a Switch for their kids or themselves on Black Friday are going to succumb to the hype of buying things rather than research what they're buying. The general public doesn't even know about the Tegra X1+ revision that coincided with the Switch Lite release. This won't be a blip on the radar.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
You're telling me they're trying to sell a $300 system with a $60 game, and they're charging $300 for it??

Such a ripoff

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
They're bundling it with the best selling game on the system, a game that something like 20 million people were willing to pay full price for.
So? It's still the previous model on a bundle that was released last year for the same price, not the improved one. Can't really call it a $60 discount when it's not the new and improved model.
And no, this isn't a scam, but it's pretty easy to see why this deal is being criticized.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is OP going to say any minute that the ps4 bundle is a scam by selling the ps3 port of the crust ass The Last of us Remastered too while we're at it?

Note: The last of us remastered (or original) is not in fact a crusty ass game.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
old model.... so youre telling me people can still buy the old switch models that can be always hacked?. That doesnt seem like a negative.
Also nothing reads like a scam on it... Hyperbole much?
Pretty sure those are patched units, so you get the worst of both worlds. No hacking with shitty battery.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Selling the old shit at the same price when all the old systems have been taken off the shelf (can speak on Target about that part) is scummy unless they advertise it the old ass model you're getting in this bundle. It's like a car dealer passing off a 2019 as a 2020.

Advertise it being the old model? Like it is done in that ad screenshot?

And again, there is NO NOTABLE DIFFERENCE outside battery life between old and new Switch. The old Switch didn't drop in price compared to the new model. There's not a single scummy thing in this bundle.

Is it possibly dumb to have the same price as last year? Maybe, wait and see.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Final nail in the coffin for my decision on whether or not to get a Switch this year

I was 50/50 on getting it due to the bundles mainly cause I already have and finished Mario Kart 8 on WiiU (and ironically got that game when I bought my WiiU and the game was $35) but if it's the older model then I will pass

Likely will get it next year - I am sure they will reduce price or offer better bundles next year in time for ps5/Xbox 2

Last edited:

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Man there are a lot of people upset about the thread... its a good PSA.

Nintendo is doing what a lot of TV makers do and sell outdated models as Black Friday skus. I feel bad for parents picking this up for their kids not realizing its not a good deal at all.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It's literally a discount. If you don't think it is you are free to buy the console and the game unbundled.
I have, I own the previous Switch and a physical copy of MK8. I enjoy both, but I am totally gonna call out BS when I see it. It would do good to a lot of you to start thinking as consumers, for real.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly.

Not to mention the battery life on the original Switch is just fine IMO.
NO, its SHITTY AND CRUSTY! How dare i be restricted to some few hours of playing this device.
/s

Its not like nintendo ever sold the old models at a cheaper price so nobody has a venture to say how much those are worth. And MK8D is still being sold for like $50+ and its a great fun game.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Nintendo is doing what a lot of TV makers do and sell outdated models as Black Friday skus. I feel bad for parents picking this up for their kids not realizing its not a good deal at all.
Yeah that's my point. I want a Switch this month but did not know they weren't selling new models for their holiday promo. I care about this and am glad someone found the small print on that particular site.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
So? It's still the previous model on a bundle that was released last year for the same price, not the improved one. Can't really call it a $60 discount when it's not the new and improved model.
And no, this isn't a scam, but it's pretty easy to see why this deal is being criticized.
You can't call it a discount because its the same discount they did last year?

What is going on in this thread

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I consider MK8D a 200% must-have for the system, so nothing wrong with bundling it. I get why it's the old model, but that's definitely worth a PSA because not everyone will read the fine print (nor will it be provided by every retailer).

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NO, its SHITTY AND CRUSTY! How dare i be restricted to some few hours of playing this device.
/s

Its not like nintendo ever sold the old models at a cheaper price so nobody has a venture to say how much those are worth. And MK8D is still being sold for like $50+ and its a great fun game.
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyep.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Kind of sucks, but not a scam if it's in the fine print. But the dreams of $200 Switch OGs and $150 Switch Lites got dashed and this is nowhere as good.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just calling out the hyperbole. Saying "Hey Black Friday shoppers beware, the switch bundle retailers are selling are the old model not the new updated one..... MK8D doesnt suck " would be better than the crusty scammy one we got

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
At what point should consumers be responsible for the purchases they make?

A relatively well informed consumer would reasonably think this would be the new Switch model with better battery life because thats all Nintendo has been selling for like the last 5 months.

Its a pretty shitty move on Nintendo's part but whatever they have to clear out the old models and this is the way companies do it.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm shocked the defense force is out in full capacity

No I'm not.
It's fucking scummy. If they are so desperate to clear out the old models then drop the price. They're offering the exact same bundle they did last year, that is trash value. Fuck that.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

and those poor children, makes my heart ache

it's inhumane, is what it is