• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that's my point. I want a Switch this month but did not know they weren't selling new models for their holiday promo. I care about this and am glad someone found the small print on that particular site.
It's worth the PSA, but not the title you gave it.

PS4 had a non slim and then a slim version - if they came out with a sale on the non slim version bundled with The Last Of Us Remastered, would you call it a scam? I am certain something similar (perhaps with some other game) was done during one of the holidays when the slim was already available, and yet no one would have called it a scam. A not so good deal? Ok, you are entitled to such an opinion, and it is worth a PSA here since it is less discernible they are getting the older model. But a scam, with the best selling and still mostly full price Switch game? No, in no way.

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly surprised they have that much inventory of the old version still around, to run a Holiday promo.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
People this is your chance at scoring a hackable switch before they become obnoxiously expensive!

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
The only thing I see about this that should be adressed is the price. Should've gone for 249 or 279 at least. The former is coming close to the Lite, tho, so unlikely.

Selling it with the system's most popular game isn't a bad move or scam in any perceivable way, tho.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
the same old Wii U Port

8puRxBy.png

lol?

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
What a joke this thread is. The only difference is battery life and for most people the originals if fine (as is the case for me otherwise I'd upgrade).

On the other hand I had to upgrade my PS4Pro from the original jet engine model to a newer one as it was completely ruining games for me. Should Sony pull/massively discount the old Pro models that sound like a fucking jet engine compared to the newer quiet models? Are they also scamners?

What a load of nonsense

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
wtf. I thought the old model was discontinued?

It was. They still had 100k or whatever this ends up being laying around and this is an easy way to clear them out.

Honestly incredible how many folks here are upset about a PSA about this being the old model and how its kind of a shitty thing for Nintendo to do.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
How dare they checks notes sell the bundle at a price people are happy to purchase at!

(I appreciate the PSA on it being the old model though)

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The title is childish. The PSA is good to have.
Pretty much, but Nintendo can't do no wrong in the slightest, I'm not surprised it's the expected users absolutely defending this. And with that, I'm out, this discussion is not worth it because it's always the same people, so it'd just go in circles.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Clearing out old stock and bundling the best selling game on the platform is a scam? Sure, the newer models are better, but the originals are fine. It's not like they're defective or don't function.

Imagine being so bored that you have to find things to be "angry" about.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
It was. They still had 100k or whatever this ends up being laying around and this is an easy way to clear them out.

Honestly incredible how many folks here are upset about a PSA about this being the old model and how its kind of a shitty thing for Nintendo to do.
I don't think people are mad about the PSA thread, more how childish the OP made the thread title sound about MK8.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe because many folks here don't see the issue if the only difference is some ~1.5 hours. It's not like this is some sort of Nintendo advertising the bundle with regular Switch and you end up getting a Switch lite with less features.

Good grief.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
these also have the older revision joy-con so there's a decent chance parents will end up buying new ones once the included ones fail.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
To the people complaining about MK8DX being "the same Wii U port," consider this:

Statistically speaking, most people who are buying a Switch on Black Friday at this point probably didn't own a Wii U, so to them it's a brand new Mario Kart. Also, while I get that people on this video game enthusiast forum might shrug (or be actively upset) by the inclusion of Mario Kart 8 DX, you have to keep in mind that to a broader audience, the thought of having this console designed for multiplayer and NOT having Mario Kart is preposterous. If you're going to take this thing to a party/event, where you expect to play games with other people, Mario Kart is going to be a crowd-favourite request. Them including it is going to rope the most amount of people in.

It being the old model kinda sucks though. Good for people who want to hack theirs, I guess?

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I agree they should be selling this at a discount, but it's not like these are trash products. Better than them just scrapping them all imo.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe because many folks here don't see the issue if the only difference is some ~1.5 hours. It's not like this is some sort of Nintendo advertising the bundle with regular Switch and you end up getting a Switch lite with less features.

Good grief.

In some cases it's literally double the battery.

The new Nintendo Switch lasted for about 4 hours and 50 minutes before going dark on our Smash test, which is nearly double the 2:45 result we got from our old Switch. It's worth noting that our old Switch was purchased in 2017, so its battery may have seen some wear and tear over the years. But still, based on our testing, the new Switch does indeed offer a significant battery bump over the launch model.

I actually bought the new Switch. Battery life difference in games like Fire Emblem Three Houses is very noticeable.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
It was months ago, hence a PSA that Nintendo still has stock and are using it as their main holiday SKU again and not all ads say the fine print next to it
Isn't that up to the stores advertising this bundle? Don't think Nintendo/Sony/MS does proof-reading for ads which includes their products.

From where are the ads taken from? Which stores? There are two now in the OP, one in red and the other one in blue. You make an PSA thread about a product, but there's no information where these bundles are being sold or from which stores these ads are taken from.

Last edited:

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

Good grief.

The battery life is literally double in some cases. You might not care but a lot of folks care about battery life, especially for a system where the original models had pretty poor battery life.

Good grief.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Generally speaking Black Friday's GREAT PRICING is because they're unloading all the old stock that they don't really want to clearance any other time, be wary of Black Friday TV's also because they're not typically of the same quality as the regular brand tvs, they're sometimes special models with slightly reduced features/quality.

Just an additional friendly PSA for people that are BF crazy.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
intendo not only kept the bundle at its full price from last year, with the exact same old Wii U port of Mario Kart included as last year

Some of you guys are really strange

Why do you care so much that MK8 was released on Wii U?

Millions of people are playing it on Switch, it is the definitive system seller for Switch.

GTAV is a PS3/360 game, and it is the best selling game on consoles this generation. it doesn't really matter, MK8 Deluxe is the strongest game to bundle with Switch hardware, and it is a new game for the majority of people.

Nintendo fans don't care

So everyone buying a Switch is a "Nintendo fan" now?

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Generally speaking Black Friday's GREAT PRICING is because they're unloading all the old stock that they don't really want to clearance any other time, be wary of Black Friday TV's also because they're not typically of the same quality as the regular brand tvs, they're sometimes special models with slightly reduced features/quality.

Just an additional friendly PSA for people that are BF crazy.
I'd hope that people whom are BF crazy would know this. But alas, some people see $200 65" 4k HDR+ etc and think "Damn I gotta get that" and then miss out on thanksgiving/get a tv that doesnt have dogs and whistles on it and realize that in 2 months time, better TVs go on sale thanks to Super Bowl and for generally better prices.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

No one is upset about the PSA, people were upset with it being called a scam. To quote someone else:
On the other hand I had to upgrade my PS4Pro from the original jet engine model to a newer one as it was completely ruining games for me. Should Sony pull/massively discount the old Pro models that sound like a fucking jet engine compared to the newer quiet models? Are they also scamners?
And this is not a shitty thing they are doing, unless you concur all companies are shitty since they all do that with older models (but no one ever calls them out).

I (and most other posters here) concur that as a PSA this is useful, people should know what they are receiving. Though the older model is perfectly fine, it is what I own and I am super happy with it.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart is the best selling Switch game and for most people is a brand new game, not a WiiU port. It is fine game to use for a bundle. The bundle using the older revision is thread worthy.

The discontinued model needs to be distributed at some point, so it doesn't shock me that Nintendo is using Black Friday to get rid of the outdated stock.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
I get that it's a fantastic game, but sheesh. Maybe a Smash bundle instead?
MK8 is the most popular game on the switch in terms of sales, makes sense to keep bundling it with the switch. Idk why they're not doing multiple bundles though. A Pokémon bundle and a Smash bundle would really help drive up sales, people love options

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I get being annoyed about the old model, I would be super annoyed if I got one of those without realising, although realistically, they do need to still sell them.

I don't get the price issue though. Switch is selling like crazy. There's literally no business reason why it would have been reduced yet. Has any console with sales as high as the Switches or close been reduced this quickly?

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
MK8 is the most popular game on the switch in terms of sales, makes sense to keep bundling it with the switch. Idk why they're not doing multiple bundles though. A Pokémon bundle and a Smash bundle would really help drive up sales, people love options

I would have jumped if there was a Pokémon or smash bros bundle 😂

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Good PSA for the people looking for a deal but who also want the better battery. However there seems to be a bit of an overreaction for what is a standard practice to get rid of the remaining stock of the old model. I guess Nintendo could make it clearer it's not with the improved battery but I wonder if most people will care outside of enthusiast forums.

Also still hilarious when people complain about Mario kart 8 DX being used for the bundle when it's the best selling game on Switch. I don't see people being this annoyed for GTA V selling well monthly. Also at this point the Switch userbase has vastly expanded compared to the Wii U so this is effectively still a new game for most players purchasing the console.

Furthermore I'd rather see the Mario kart team work on another new IP and keep Mario Kart 9 for a Switch 2 (which they are probably doing tbh).

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Nintendo fans don't care

I don't think the average consumer cares. Nor will the children receiving them on Christmas morning. The old stock's gotta go at some point. Nintendo gets kudos in my book for actually adding a disclaimer to some ads explaining that it's the older model. Anyone who cares enough to know the difference will do their research on the ads that don't say anything about it, but at the end of the day, far less people care about any of this stuff than you think.

Edit:

Good PSA for the people looking for a deal but who also want the better battery. However there seems to be a bit of an overreaction for what seems a standard way to get rid of the remaining stock of the old model. I guess Nintendo could make it clearer it's not with the improved battery but I wonder if most people will care outside of enthusiast forums.

Oh. What an incredibly eloquent way to get across what I was trying to say.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
The issue is that the Target ad fails to mention that it is the older Switch model. The ad on the Nintendo website does mention that is the older model and give the actual range of battery life. So, how is this a scam?