• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
If I was buying a new switch for that price I'd be pretty bummed to get the og model that's not even guaranteed to be hackable when the new model in some cases has literally DOUBLE the battery life

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Are people more surprised about the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe pack-in or the old revision, I really can't tell.

Complaining about the MK8D pack-in is laughable because it's the most popular and best-selling game on the system so it should not surprise ANYONE that it is being bundled again.

Now what is concerning and weird to me is the fact they are offering the old revision and the bundle for such a high price. If it was 250 I would have been OK with it but 300 and not even a notice that it's the old model is not good.

We will see how this will pan out, maybe they don't have much stock anyways?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Title is better for the PSA. Calling it an old wii U port was pretty bad considering said port is one of the best selling games of all time.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
At my local supermarket both models are mixed on shelf. That's scammy practice imo, Nintendo should have specified more clearly on the box that the model was improved, most people are not aware of it and will buy an inferior product for the same price...

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
I'm going to pick up a Switch this BF but man the deals so far sound so meh.

I know expecting that $179 deal from Facebook last year ain't happening but I thought I'd be able to pick up new Switch for around $250. Hope it happens.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it gonna be $150 and $200 for the Lite and Regular models, or was that fake? I remember someone posting it sometime in the last few weeks, think it was Walmart?

Last edited:

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

In some cases it's literally double the battery.

The new Nintendo Switch lasted for about 4 hours and 50 minutes before going dark on our Smash test, which is nearly double the 2:45 result we got from our old Switch. It's worth noting that our old Switch was purchased in 2017, so its battery may have seen some wear and tear over the years. But still, based on our testing, the new Switch does indeed offer a significant battery bump over the launch model.

I actually bought the new Switch. Battery life difference in games like Fire Emblem Three Houses is very noticeable.

Dunno, but how about you include the little sentence about their regular Switch for the test being a 2017 model that pretty much has some wear-down on the battery? It feels like a *somewhat* important detail.

The battery life is literally double in some cases. You might not care but a lot of folks care about battery life, especially for a system where the original models had pretty poor battery life.

Good grief.

Handy that the post i quoted above came before your post, am i right? Easy to parrot afterwards.

How much you care about battery is subjective. If both models play the same games with the same performance, offer the same features, there's is nothing scummy. No matter how much you try.

And while it seems you like parroting others, as seen with this quoted post, i'd appreciate if you don't do that with me. Or better, not quote me again.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find that hard to believe. Isn't there a program in place for people who bought the old model recently to upgrade for free? I thought they pulled all the old models.
lol, why would they pull the old models? They weren't faulty, the new model is just an incremental upgrade. They're barely even advertising it, the common Joe on the street doesn't even know it's a thing.
EIxswXlU8AEBIDj
So it literally says right there on the box that it's the old model?

This is such a nothing story, people are weird sometimes...

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno, but how about you include the little sentence about their regular Switch for the test being a 2017 model that pretty much has some wear-down on the battery? It feels like a *somewhat* important detail.

That's the reason I posted it. Because it might be an important detail. I'm not going to omit the detail. Why would I do that?

In my experience? I get doubly 1.5x time than my old Switch. 1.5 hours more depending on the game is a BIG difference.

And depending on the game, you can get more than "just 1.5 hours" more.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
For the record, I have a launch-day Switch that I travel with frequently. I also play handheld about 70% of the time. I've never had the battery die on me, and if you're going on long international flights you're going to need to plug in or have a battery with you no matter which model you have.

This is a non-issue and y'all are silly. If you're on the fence about a Switch and you're considering this deal, go for it, and welcome to the fam.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
If you want Mario Kart 8 anyway, the $60 you save by buying this bundle can get a USB-C battery bank that'll give you way longer playtime than anything built into the console would.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I dunno, if I'm buying a Switch bundle during the holiday season I would expect that it's the most recent version, or at least a savvy consumer should be able to know there's old and new versions and pick the new one based on packaging or w.e., but the only official bundle including the older and clearly much inferior version is kind of weird.

And obviously the difference between versions is notable, there were people on this forum buying 2nd consoles because of it.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Odds that Nintendo will put a sticker or some sort of notice that it's OG Switch for consumer transparency??

Zilch, it's already on the box. The vast, vast majority of people buying this aren't even going to know there is a model w/ a better battery, it's still a great console and the discount is a free $60 game.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Not that surprising coming from Nintendo. If they discounted the regular Switch then it'd be hard to justify Switch Lite without giving it some kind of markdown.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
...in literal fine print.
So what, they're going to shout in big letters on the box "THIS IS THE OLD MODEL BY THE WAY".

That would literally just confuse the average consumer, "what do you mean old model?"

This is not underhand tactics by any measure. I'm far from a Ninty fanboy, this is just a nothing issue. They're selling off old stock as part of a popular bundle like any sensible company would. They're not being obtuse, they're not being disingenuous, they're just selling a product.

Those that care enough can see clear as day which model is inside the box. But 90% of consumers won't know or care, let alone feel short changed.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
It was. They still had 100k or whatever this ends up being laying around and this is an easy way to clear them out.

Honestly incredible how many folks here are upset about a PSA about this being the old model and how its kind of a shitty thing for Nintendo to do.

What is shitty is not to clearly inform the customers about what they buy. That's the real problem. The deal itself is not an awful scam if we talk seriously. But not letting people clearly know what deal they sign for is indeed not acceptable. However I still do not know what the wii u port joke has to do with this concern.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you OP. I was definitely interested in buying a Switch on Black Friday and was curious if this bundle has the new model or not. I'm not yet sure if the better battery is worth it over Mario Kart or not to my kids, but I have some time to think about it.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
NOOOOOOOOOOO! i was waiting for that... It makes sense but still.. Would do the same if i was Nintendo. good way of getting rid of the last batch of those.

Still waiting for a good deal on that one though. Christmas... Free game? anything?

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

There is a blink and you miss it disclaimer at the bottom for not even a second at the end and it doesn't even exactly tell you its the worse model although you can kind of infer it from the disclaimer.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
I don't think it's "scummy" to include the old model, but it is slightly disappointing. I agree with the posts here that say the majority of consumers don't know there is a new model, so it doesn't behoove Nintendo to make it super obvious on the box.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
$300 get's you a Nintendo Switch with improved battery life over the original model.
$300 get's you a Nintendo Switch with "standard" battery life with a free game, a $60 value.
$260 get's you a Nintendo Switch with "standard" battery life.

That middle one sounds like the best deal honestly, if you want MK8 anyway.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
$300 get's you a Nintendo Switch with improved battery life over the original model.
$300 get's you a Nintendo Switch with "standard" battery life with a free game, a $60 value.

Nintendo is extremely generous. I think I will buy another Switch this holiday to show my appreciation. I love seeing their profits grow!

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Better picture of the box, which isn't quite the same as the one last year as the OP states

switchhw-mk8-bundle.original.jpg

All the information is right there on the front of the box about the model number and battery life

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to pick up a Switch this BF but man the deals so far sound so meh.

I know expecting that $179 deal from Facebook last year ain't happening but I thought I'd be able to pick up new Switch for around $250. Hope it happens.
If I remember right, last year Gamestop gave away a $40 gift card with it, which kinda knocks it down to $260. That, and including MK8D, enticed me to buy one for a nephew. Maybe the same offer will happen this year?

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I didn't wait. Battery life playing BotW on the updated model is poor enough that I can't imagine being very impressed with the original.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Such a weird move. I guess they have a lot of those left that they can't sell normally anymore and want to get rid of them. Ptoducing tbr old model should be more expensive, so that's not thr reason why it is included.

Really poor BF deal for sure, though scummy is a bit of an exaggeration (you are not owed a discount on the new model).

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
If I remember right, last year Gamestop gave away a $40 gift card with it, which kinda knocks it down to $260. That, and including MK8D, enticed me to buy one for a nephew. Maybe the same offer will happen this year?

I wouldn't mind that price but for $260 I'd still want newer switch model and not the old one. Also, last year we had Facebook marketplace selling Switch for $179.

I may honestly just buy Switch Lite at full price and couple of games from Target at $30 each for same amount. Let's see what Gamestop has to offer.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Clear old stock? Fine. Clear old stock months after you can no longer buy old stock and it has completely been replaced with a new model at the same price?

maybe not a scam but definitely some people will be unwittingly buying an older version than they expected

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

Dat "$60 value"!!! Boi stop..

The best anybody is going to do is at kohl's.
You get the switch (maybe with MK8D?) a carrying case and some other nonsense all for
The low, low price of $319.00! But it also comes with $90 kohl's cash that you can use to buy your significant other something for Xmas.

Otherwise Nintendo ain't going fam.