• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
EDIT: funny that some of you are saying people should be fine if they get shorted on battery life since not all the ads for this bundle mention it's old models. That's scummy to me, plain and simple.

Original Thread:
Now that's some crusty scamming lmao (edit: no I am not actually saying Nintendo is a scammer)

Nintendo not only kept the bundle at its full price from last year, with the exact same old Wii U port of Mario Kart included as last year, but they also went true vintage and kept the actual model of Switch identical to last year instead of the newer battery life version released months ago.

Last edited:

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now that's some crusty scamming lmao

Nintendo not only kept the bundle at its full price from last year, with the exact same old Wii U port of Mario Kart included as last year, but they also went true vintage and kept the actual model of Switch identical to last year instead of the newer battery life version released months ago.

Should have included smash this year

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
They're trying to clear old stock with one of the best-selling games on the console? I don't understand why people get mad about this stuff.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I can understand needing to sell through the old models but damn, at least drop the price.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
old model.... so youre telling me people can still buy the old switch models that can be always hacked?. That doesnt seem like a negative.
Also nothing reads like a scam on it... Hyperbole much?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I mean, the game isn't a surprise considering it remains a hugely popular system seller that moves consoles. Mario Kart bundles will probably persist the entire generation. This "Wii U port" thing is nonsensical.

As far as the old model goes, yeah, considering its an objectively inferior model and they're just trying to move through stock you'd think they'd be more enticing with the price.

But the basic fact is that they probably don't have to because it will sell at this price anyway.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I find that hard to believe. Isn't there a program in place for people who bought the old model recently to upgrade for free? I thought they pulled all the old models.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
old model.... so youre telling me people can still buy the old switch models that can be always hacked?. That doesnt seem like a negative.
Yeah I'm sure grandma Suzie who's buying this for her 9-year old niece knows that going in.

Pretty scummy of Nintendo to offload their stock of old, inferior Switch models on an unsuspecting public right before the holiday shopping season kicks into full gear.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The Switch price didn't go down throught the year and first party game didn't go down too, so no surprises here.
The old model ? Yeah that's really not great.

Are we sure it is not on Best Buy ?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks, but I can understand it at least. Those existing Switches/bundles need to go somewhere and most people buying during Black Friday aren't going to know there's a new model to begin with.

Of course, they'll still lose out even if they don't know that, so they could have at least labeled it more clearly + cut the price more...

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, the game isn't a surprise considering it remains a hugely popular system seller that moves consoles. Mario Kart bundles will probably persist the entire generation. This "Wii U port" thing is nonsensical.

As far as the old model goes, yeah, considering its an objectively inferior model and they're just trying to move through stock you'd think they'd be more enticing with the price.

But the basic fact is that they probably don't have to because it will sell at this price anyway.

"Nintendo" and "enticing with the price" don't exist within the same galaxy

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this OP was made in bad faith. It's packed with the BEST SELLING GAME ON THE SYSTEM.

Old model is most likely to sell whatever they had remaining in the channels. How is this a scam?

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
So the story here is Nintendo is offloading a bunch of old stock with a free copy of their best selling game and the OP is accusing them of scamming people

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Almost a 6 year old game hahahaha :( come the fuck on gimme Mario kart 9

Sucks but yeah :[ looks like im finally gonna call nintendo on repairing my broken Switch screen. . ..I was waiting on a black Friday deal for that rumored leaked $200 from Walmart but meh

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Is there really proof these are the old models? It seems people are making assumptions based on the packaging...

EDIT: nevermind. it's in the small print. Seems pretty weird to me... I wonder if they have that many of the old version sitting around in storage? Or maybe the set them aside at some point knowing they would blow them out during the holidays.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MK8DX is one of the best selling (and best) games on the system. :lol

It makes sense to bundle the system with it. As for the battery, well they need to clear their stock of the old model right?

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I got this deal last year. At game stop I also got a $60 eshop card. Best $300 + Tax I've spent in a long time.

That being said, they should have made this $250 or something lol.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I've been keeping an eye out for Switch deals for a friend that wants one for her son.

Couldn't believe that they're not only doing the same bundle as last year, but it's the same price.

I get that it's a fantastic game, but sheesh. Maybe a Smash bundle instead?

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Is there really proof these are the old models? It seems people are making assumptions based on the packaging...
EIxswXlU8AEBIDj

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
User banned (3 days): platform warring, trolling
It's Nintendo their lackeys will defend anything they do as if they work for them but no shit it's scummy.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent time to get a hackable Switch and Nintendo just getting rid of the old model.

Win-win.

(They could use a different game however...)

KenyaPSP

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 26, 2019
Terrible but it feels like its been awhile since Nintendo tried to have a compelling Black Friday deal.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The lack of a discount for the bad battery is shitty but what's the problem with Mario Kart? Great game that's lots of people still buy. It's most popular game on the system.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So Nintendo is looking to clear stock of the older models WITHOUT making it an actual deal worth picking up lol

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
"Scamming". It even says in the ad that it's the old model. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is also one of the best selling games this generation. It's a hugely popular game and very accessible for young and old. Nothing wrong with that game. OP sounds salty as fuck.

People really like to throw around terms like "scam" and "anti-consumer", without knowing what it means.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone able to point me to where any retailer sells the original switch model for under $300 without a game? and no clearance items do not count .
Like hell find me a walmart/best buy/target/amazon/gamestop that sells the original switch model in a NEW condition for under the $300 msrp price.

It aint a scam

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
It's Nintendo their lackeys will defend anything they do as if they work for them but no shit it's scummy.

Care to explain to me what exaclty is scummy here?

Because outside of battery life, there's zero difference between the old and new model in terms of functionality and features.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They introduced the Lite for people who wanted s cheaper console this holiday. They weren't going to undercut that with huge deal on the Switch. Also MK8 is going to end up being one of the best selling games of this generation

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Oh, so it's the old model for the regular price? Lol, earlier I went to BestBuy's site because I wanted to track a purchase, saw they had BF deals previews and when I noticed the Switch bundle I thought "Well, it's the new model so it makes sense".
They can get away with it though because most people won't even notice, but they should've at least dropped the price by $50.
Now watch the Nintendo investors claim that it's completely OK as stock will sell and Nintendo benefits from doing this, completely diresgarding consumers.

Edit: Nvm, already seeing those posts, as expected.