• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

doctorcdcs

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the versions listed on eBay are in French or German. Will those versions have English regardless of what is on the box?

edit: I guess I'm going to have to learn German

Last edited:

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Already got multiple versions of C2C but I haven't played for a while and didn't know about FXT. Thanks for the heads up!

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
A+ thread

Will this work with the Steam release of C2C? I'm going to be in France next week so hunting down a copy is fine by me, but I want to be sure I need to do it

21:9 Outrun 2 sounds amazing

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what I did like 2 year ago.
img_5606nvih3.jpg

But I had no idea about FXT or the misplaced files, definitely reinstalling this.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
How does this game compare Graphics wise with the Arcade Version? I've heard there is an Emulator that can run the arcade version although I don't know the legality of that.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I guess maybe I should also tell people ITT about the OTHER piece of outrun greatness available to PC users:

klpVhmr.png

Cannonball is to Outrun, what Streets of Rage Remake and Taxman's Sonic ports are to their respective games. It is a complete rewrite of the Outrun engine into a portable C++ language, while still using the original game data, to let the game do a lot of cool shit that the original Outrun engine could not do. This includes 16:9 aspect ratio and much smoother scaling of sprites:

Thanks to the expandability, you can add new music tracks to the game and it also supports modern racing wheels and force feedback. Additionally, it comes with LayOut:

sNysEJy.jpg

LayOut is the OutRun track editor. Using LayOut, you can create custom courses for OutRun using Cannonball, including custom stage art.

This is the final evolution of Outrun, watch and weep that you will never experience anything this awesome:

This is a $40,000 outrun simulator.

I remember seeing "Cannonball" mentioned in a previous post here? (somewhere else? I can't remember) and forgot I had a page about it bookmarked (it appears I've lost that bookmark though, I'llj just google it...).

The idea of owning a physical copy for PC of this game is appealing, but I already have the original Xbox version so I'm just going to hold off for now even if I can't do cool stuff with my console copy.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
One of the first things I did when I got Outrun 2006 for PC was try my new wheel on it. Didn't work right. I had to turn too far to the left or right to properly turn. I may have to force my turning radius of my wheel down to get it working properly.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sorry, is there a link for the latest version of FXT please? I can only find one from a few years ago, 2.4. It doesn't appear to fix any of the HUD issues so guessing there must be a newer one somewhere?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea FXT was a thing. I'll have to try it to see how well it restores the missing bloom.

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, is there a link for the latest version of FXT please? I can only find one from a few years ago, 2.4. It doesn't appear to fix any of the HUD issues so guessing there must be a newer one somewhere?
There's 2.5 available but even with 2.4 you can install texture pack from the FXTConfig. In case you get an error doing that make a folder named "original" in fxtcfg/texpacks.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
That Force Dynamics Outrun simulator is amazing. I wish Ferrari F355 Challenge had a full 360 experience like that. With the screen setup that it had, it would be the best driving videogame experience ever.

avens

Feb 7, 2018
BTW, IGN gave this game a 7/10. They really have no clue since like 2002.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2006/04/26/outrun-2006-coast-2-coast

Outrun 2006, in its Xbox or arcade versions, is just among the best short games ever made. If somebody hasn't played it as a gaming fan you owe it to yourself to play either of them, or try the PC version with FXT and the console shaders.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol I'm not buying a disc for my pc.

Real sad I never knew it had a steam version until it was too late.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Played around a bit with this today and yesterday.

First, copied the lens flare file to the right folder and that works which is nice. I'm not sure it actually adds any bloom beyond the lens flare spots. Difficult to compare as I've only played OG OR2 in 480i. I read a Youtube comment about copying over files from the Outrun Online Arcade XB360 version adds more graphical flair, but can't verify. Something to look into.

The FXT thing I could not get to work. Quite likely it does not work with Steam version of OR2C2C if the hack is expecting specific memory addresses. Had to add steam.dll to the folder to make it launch at all. About the only effect was I lost the ability to steer. I'll keep a lookout for the disc version (does it still have SecuROM?) or at least the .EXE for it. The missing rumble is probably my biggest gripe with the PC port, it's just not the same without it.

Dammit Sega/Sumo, just release a Fakerarri remaster of this, you've already got the Online Arcade version as a base. And do Afterburner Climax while you're at it...

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
any solutions for someone who doesn't have a cd/dvd drive? is it difficult to rip the game and make it think that a disc is in? i'm seeing decently priced copies off ebay ( don't know if they're real though lul)

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
any solutions for someone who doesn't have a cd/dvd drive? is it difficult to rip the game and make it think that a disc is in? i'm seeing decently priced copies off ebay ( don't know if they're real though lul)
Ripping the game and mounting it on a virtual drive would be trivial -- but you would still need the disc read by a PC to do the ripping to begin with so you might as well install it through that instead. The patch cracks the game from what other posts have implied so you would be fine afterwards.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
It does

Left original, right with fix

Oh yeah there's definitely a bright overlay when the sun's straight ahead but I seem to recall the Xbox version having a generally softer look, for better or worse. The PC version looks comparatively flat outside of the lens-flare areas but again, might have been sideeffects of lower res and CRT. I heard O2A has generally more bloom (again, not necessarily a good thing) but I only played that a few times years ago. Might hook up a PS3 and test it again.

Oh and the water reflections also seem busted for me but can't get everything!

Probably should have removed that capacitor from my Xbox, without Live the Xbox became basically just an OR2 machine for me. :P

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK

Ripping the game and mounting it on a virtual drive would be trivial -- but you would still need the disc read by a PC to do the ripping to begin with so you might as well install it through that instead. The patch cracks the game from what other posts have implied so you would be fine afterwards.

Ripping's easy, but you do need to use a ripper designed to copy protected discs; something like imgburn or isobuster isn't going to produce a working image. The game's out of print and the copy protection scheme's defunct, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give more specific detail on here.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
This patch didn't work for me at all.
Yeah, same here. I followed the instructions. When I run OR2FXT.exe, an icon briefly appears in the system tray but the game doesn't actually start running.

edit: Nevermind. I used the wrong directory. It appears to be working now.

Also, is it just me or does this version of the game seem way more friendly than the arcade version? It seems harder to crash (and send your car flying) and you don't tip over when an oncoming car bumps into the side of your vehicle.

Last edited:

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
This patch didn't work for me at all.

FXT doesn't add the lens flare affect - you have to follow the instructions below:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=157361.0

Now, I've only spent about 15 minutes on the arcade machine but I still suspect there's more missing (or just misplaced) lighting effects. I've booted up my GSP budget re-release of the game and it still strikes me as a bit flat. (Even after adding the lens flare back in.)

I always though Sumo Digital had a good reputation for technical prowess so it's a bit of a surprise being reminded that the PC port is so lacklustre out of the box. It would be good if we could get some of the team involved to discuss what happened during the porting process.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
FXT doesn't add the lens flare affect - you have to follow the instructions below:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=157361.0

Now, I've only spent about 15 minutes on the arcade machine but I still suspect there's more missing (or just misplaced) lighting effects. I've booted up my GSP budget re-release of the game and it still strikes me as a bit flat. (Even after adding hack in the lens flare.)

I always though Sumo Digital had a good reputation for technical prowess so it's a bit of a surprise being reminded that the PC port is so lacklustre out of the box. It would be good if we could get some of the team involved to discuss what happened during the porting process.
The problem is that the PC port is based on the PS2 version AFAIK.

It's not just lens flare, the missing bloom lighting all over the skies is the most important effect that's not on the PC port.

But apparently you can run the arcade game on PC anyway???

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
The problem is that the PC port is based on the PS2 version AFAIK.

It's not just lens flare, the missing bloom lighting all over the skies is the most important effect that's not on the PC port.

But apparently you can run the arcade game on PC anyway???

That's ringing bells in some dusty part of my memory. Pity. At least I now know Lindberg emulation (via TeknoParrot) and Chihiro emulation (via CXBC) is a thing now.

From the video you've supplied, however, it looks like there are shadows missing when emulating the arcade game.

DigitalTravis

Oct 28, 2017
The extent to obtain this game is absurd considering the developers and publishers won't be getting any return on these purchases. Seems like punishing yourself unnecessarily to obtain this disk.

This is tugging on my moral sensibility. Yarr. Fuck digital licencing. I can still buy the original TMNT featuring Vanilla Ice's Ninja Rap on the soundtrack. Pizza Hut damn sure isn't edited out either. I'm sure New Line Cinema doesn't have the rights anymore, yet I can grab the DVD at every WalMart in America.

So mad when this crap happens.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
The extent to obtain this game is absurd considering the developers and publishers won't be getting any return on these purchases. Seems like punishing yourself unnecessarily to obtain this disk.

This is tugging on my moral sensibility. Yarr. Fuck digital licencing. I can still buy the original TMNT featuring Vanilla Ice's Ninja Rap on the soundtrack. Pizza Hut damn sure isn't edited out either. I'm sure New Line Cinema doesn't have the rights anymore, yet I can grab the DVD at every WalMart in America.

So mad when this crap happens.
it's so stupid

licenses should be on a game-by-game basis, or at least "games initially released between this date and this date," and then the game can be sold whenever

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Did they implement proper FB for driving wheels now?
Vanilla doesn't support it (nor does Arcade Online on PS3 and 360) just an awful rumble effect

Also it seems to me there's still vfx missing compared to the arcade releases (played a ton of both 2 and C2C when I was working at SQ-E Europe in Regent and the little Slots Arcade in Oxford street used to get all the latest SEGA releases (seeing a "next-gen" game like Virtua Tennis 3 before the 360 was about to come out was awesome)

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
I was always put off of the PC version at the time as I not only had a potato PC, but there was some sort of saving issue where no times were ever saved? I remember reading about that and it put me off completely. Is that now resolved with this FXT patch?

NieTengu

Jul 1, 2019
Sorry to gravedig this post but I'm wondering if anyone managed to get netplay to work on the PC version of this game through the likes of Hamachi or something?

Nov 18, 2017
Superb OP and excellent thread, but i do feel that title is a tad disingenuous/misleading. I mean, following that logic PS2/PSP & Xbox owners can still buy the game too.

Still praying for Sega to either cough up for the ferrari license or just swap out the licensed cars for a Sega Ages re-release.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, following that logic PS2/PSP & Xbox owners can still buy the game too.

They can, that's obvious. Those systems only ever sold physical formats. I'd wager most people have no idea Outrun 2006 ever had a physical PC release. For the past 15 years now, PC has basically been a digital only domain, hence this topic. To inform people of something they probably didn't know existed. I know several people who own PCs who infact have picked up a PS2 or Xbox to get this game.