• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see people asking for sega to regain the Ferrari license to re-release Outrun 2 pretty consistently, and it seems like it's not widely known to people that the PC version of Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast got a physical release in Europe. And it's the best kind of physical release -- the type that doesn't require online activation. It's the older type of PC releases where the security method for the game is merely checking to see if the game disc is in a CD-ROM drive upon starting the game.

Eq0AWoZ.jpg

Now, originally, this port of Outrun 2006 was pretty poor. It missed all the bloom and lighting effects from the console versions of Outrun 2006 and was stuck in arbitrary resolutions, but for the past 6 or so years, a mod called Outrun 2 FXT has dramatically improved the game, to the point where it's arguably the single best way to play the game. For one, the FXT mod changes the presentation of the game to restore all the original arcade menus:

DuZakvt.jpg

No more references to "press enter" or any of that, you now have the original Outrun 2 SP artwork and button textures. Outrun 2 FXT is actually primarily designed so that people can install Outrun 2 on arcade cabinets using windows PCs as a much cheaper alternative to hunting down a Chihiro or Lindberg.

Additionally, Outrun 2 FXT allows for any resolution or FOV one can imagine. For example -

This is a single 16:9 monitor turned vertically. Outrun 2 FXT actually includes new camera modes that can take advantage of a vertically oriented monitor. This particular screenshot isn't using it, but there is a new overhead cam called "Spy Hunter Cam" that pulls way back and up and makes the game play like Spy Hunter, where a vertically oriented monitor is pretty much necessary to be able to react to the road:
xI32mAK.png

This is a triple 16:9 monitor setup:
xbPVyaA.jpg

THis is a septuple 16:9 setup intended for 180 degree projection domes:
5kMIoys.jpg

Now, early on, there was a problem that textures would stretch on screen as you played, which you can see in these screenshots. However, the later versions of FXT actually included different aspect ratio textures for HUD elements that can be swapped out. This lets you now play the game in crazy widescreen resolutions without stretching the HUD.

It's not just the FOV that can change. Want to play Outrun 2 in 4K? Totally viable with FXT.

Additionally, it's been discovered that the shaders for bloom and lighting have always existed in the PC version of Outrun 2006, they are merely in the wrong folder which prevents the game executable from finding them (and thus not loading them). By merely copying a couple of files from one folder of the game's install to another folder, all the console lighting and bloom effects are returned.

Finally, while the online portion of the game is still turned off, FXT includes a LAN option where two windows PCs can be connected on a network for 2-player play. This is mainly intended, again, for people with arcade cabinets to allow for link mode:

1js84vY.jpg

This method of play is even preferable to the Steam Outrun Online Arcade release, as that release only includes the 15 Outrun 2 SP courses, while the physical release of Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast contains the 15 Outrun 2 SP courses PLUS the original 15 Outrun 2 tracks for a total of 30 courses. And, the physical release of Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast has the original Outrun as an unlockable.

FXT also patches the game to include rumble support for controllers, both gamepads and racing wheels.

Now, you might be saying "I don't live in europe and it's not 2006," but the game itself is super available on ebay for about $20-$30. Looking it up right now, I see multiple buy-it-now auctions around that price. PC Games don't have region lockout, a disc from europe will work just as fine in the US as anywhere else. Also, for purists, there is a crack that'll remove the need to have the disc inserted at launch so you can merely install the game, add it to Steam as a non-steam shortcut, and be none the wiser that it's a physical copy of the game. If you lack an optical drive on your PC, a $20 USB drive from newegg will do the job.

Just a general heads up because the game is actually pretty awesome on PC now.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know about the FXT patch. Does it work with the steam version too or just the disc version? I only have it on steam.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This is important and I appreciate you giving everyone a heads up.

Can't wait to get a decent PC that will run it. (My laptop is 9 years old. Sheesh.)

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know about the FXT patch. Does it work with the steam version too or just the disc version? I only have it on steam.

Just the disc version. The secret is that Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast and Outrun Online Arcade are actually entirely different games. Outrun 2 is a little convoluted, but it works like this:

Outrun 2 was originally for the Chihiro arcade system by Sega, which is essentially an Xbox with twice the ram. This version features 15 tracks, and was ported to the Xbox.

Outrun 2 was then ported to the Sega Lindbergh as Outrun 2 SP Special Tours. This version featured 15 entirely different tracks from Outrun 2.

Outrun 2 and Outrun 2 SP were then packaged together as Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast. Based off of the Lindbergh version, a number of ports were derived from this to the PS2, Xbox, and PC.

Then, several years later, Sega created Outrun Online Arcade, which isn't a port of Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast, but rather is basically a port of Outrun 2 SP with a few extra cars from Coast to Coast thrown in. It is missing, basically, half the content from Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast. Outrun Online Arcade was released on Xbox 360, PS3, and Steam, although Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast works on an Xbox 360 in backwards compatibility.

Last edited:

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I thought you were going to link a site that was selling Steam keys. Can't be bothered with having to use discs on PC nowadays (I know, there are no-CD cracks, but whatever).

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The retail PC release seems to have SecuROM:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/OutRun_2006:_Coast_2_Coast

... which is problem for Win10 users

I ran it fine today in windows 10.

In fact, the link you posted clarifies all this:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Digital_rights_management_(DRM)#SecuROM

This is the OLD secuROM, not the scary DRM SecuROM online activation that people know.

The disc-based version of SecuROM works by using strong software encryption along with a special signature applied to the physical disc during manufacturing. The game will only launch if the original disc that carries the special signature of the game is detected, otherwise an error message will be shown instead.

The disc-based version does not rely on an internet connection to function.
Still works flawlessly on newer versions of Windows, despite erroneous reports of the contrary.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
wow i was just think...i haven't had an optical drive on my pcs in the last 10 years

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Just the disc version. The secret is that Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast and Outrun Online Arcade are actually entirely different games. Outrun 2 is a little convoluted, but it works like this:

Outrun 2 was originally for the Chihiro arcade system by Sega, which is essentially an Xbox with twice the ram. This version features 15 tracks, and was ported to the Xbox.

Outrun 2 was then ported to the Sega Lindbergh as Outrun 2 SP Special Tours. This version featured 15 entirely different tracks from Outrun 2.

Outrun 2 and Outrun 2 SP were then packaged together as Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast. Based off of the Lindbergh version, a number of ports were derived from this to the PS2, Xbox, and PC.

Then, several years later, Sega created Outrun Online Arcade, which isn't a port of Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast, but rather is basically a port of Outrun 2 SP with a few extra cars from Coast to Coast thrown in. It is missing, basically, half the content from Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast. Outrun Online Arcade was released on Xbox 360, PS3, and Steam, although Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast works on an Xbox 360 in backwards compatibility.

The version of Outrun on Steam was 2006: Coast 2 Coast, though I can't find anything on FXT working with it so aye does seem to only be for the disk as you say.

Funny about the bloom + lens flare just being in the wrong folder, if I can't get FXT it's at least neat to reinsert those. Hilarious on the aspect ratios too ha, reminds me of accidentally loading Rocket League on my vertical monitor instead of TV and being surprised that it accommodated the change

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
The version of Outrun on Steam was 2006: Coast 2 Coast, though I can't find anything on FXT working with it so aye does seem to only be for the disk as you say.

Funny about the bloom + lens flare just being in the wrong folder, if I can't get FXT it's at least neat to reinsert those. Hilarious on the aspect ratios too ha, reminds me of accidentally loading Rocket League on my vertical monitor instead of TV and being surprised that it accommodated the change

Yeah the steam version I own is 2006: Coast 2 Coast. I've moved the bloom+lens flare file into the right folder at least.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I'm not sure if you made this clear or not but the Steam version of Outrun 2 C2C does work just fine at 4K60 and all the standard resolutions are supported. It appears to have all 15 courses for each of the two versions for a total of 30. Now I've been told there's something wrong with the Steam version before by someone on here that I can't remember but I've been playing it recently and it still looks pretty great at 4K and runs flawlessly.

EDIT
Yeah the steam version I own is 2006: Coast 2 Coast. I've moved the bloom+lens flare file into the right folder at least.

Maybe that was it? I just looked up that solution. Thanks! Here's a link to instructions for those who are interested.

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/OutRu...#Restore_missing_lens_flare_.26_bloom_effects

Last edited:

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I legit didn't know Outrun Online Arcade got a Steam release, I thought Steam only ever had 2006.

So if I own Steam 2006, I can't use the FXT mod? That's a bummer if so.

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of want to buy this now. I have the game for PSP and it's my favorite racer of all time.

sd_falter

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Oh nice. Stopped following FXT development but they finally fixed the GUI aspect ratios? Also had no idea about the bloom shaders being in the wrong folder all along lol.

Welp time to break out the steering wheel. :)

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it on a small "not available digitally anymore" shopping spree a few months ago, along with Prey and Blur. First time hearing about the mod, so thanks.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I legit didn't know Outrun Online Arcade got a Steam release, I thought Steam only ever had 2006.

So if I own Steam 2006, I can't use the FXT mod? That's a bummer if so.

It appears I was mistaken about Steam having outrun online arcade, I never got it on steam, only PS3. I had assumed it was the same release, but it appears to be 2006.

Regardless, FXT still only works with the actual disc version, according to the BYOAC forums.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

Perfect summary! One question: Is it possible to restore the "heavier" feel of the Xbox Outrun 2 release to the C2C PC port? That's the only thing I kinda miss about the PC version.

And did we see confirmation that the Steam version does work with FXT?

Lastly, holy shit at that fix for the bloom and lens flare, so stupid!

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Despite owning Outrun on Steam, I had absolutely no idea that this mod existed. And the news about the missing lighting effects is so great that I'm going to install it! Thanks for the thread.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Yup I bought a copy of this a month ago. While I would have liked to own the game on Steam. I'm perfectly content owning the DVD-ROM Release.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the headsup on this mod, gonna check it out ASAP!

This method of play is even preferable to the Steam Outrun Online Arcade release, as that release only includes the 15 Outrun 2 SP courses, while the physical release of Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast contains the 15 Outrun 2 SP courses PLUS the original 15 Outrun 2 tracks for a total of 30 courses. And, the physical release of Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast has the original Outrun as an unlockable.

I assume you meant PSN? The Steam version of OR2 had all those things.

MulderYuffie

Oct 25, 2017
Love this game wish I could've grabbed it on Steam. Guess I'll eventually bite for the physical release.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Playing this downsampled from 8k (have to disable anti-aliasing, otherwise an error message crops up), oh my <3 Didn't really mind the lack of bloom last time I played but it's a treat to have it back.

One weird thing though is I've always thought the loading times were longer on this than they should be, anyone else find that on their end? They're not horrendous by any means (about eight seconds to load from menu into gameplay) but I would've assumed they'd be near instantaneous on modern hard drives

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. The game features lots of Ferraris, and as Sega no longer has the Ferrari license they can't sell it anymore.
Honestly don't know why they don't just replace the Ferraris with different 3D models. They did it for most of the OG Outrun re-releases, even though that was only a single car.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess maybe I should also tell people ITT about the OTHER piece of outrun greatness available to PC users:

klpVhmr.png

Cannonball is to Outrun, what Streets of Rage Remake and Taxman's Sonic ports are to their respective games. It is a complete rewrite of the Outrun engine into a portable C++ language, while still using the original game data, to let the game do a lot of cool shit that the original Outrun engine could not do. This includes 16:9 aspect ratio and much smoother scaling of sprites:

Thanks to the expandability, you can add new music tracks to the game and it also supports modern racing wheels and force feedback. Additionally, it comes with LayOut:

sNysEJy.jpg

LayOut is the OutRun track editor. Using LayOut, you can create custom courses for OutRun using Cannonball, including custom stage art.

This is the final evolution of Outrun, watch and weep that you will never experience anything this awesome:

This is a $40,000 outrun simulator.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, for those who DO buy the physical disc and use the no-cd crack, here's a steam grid icon for Outrun 2:

Th0sBV9.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly don't know why they don't just replace the Ferraris with different 3D models. They did it for most of the OG Outrun re-releases, even though that was only a single car.

To be fair, part of the joy of Outrun is barreling down some gorgeous vistas in your ferrari. Every time I play, I always rock the 360 Spider.

That said, if Sega was smart and wanted to give people Outrun without dealing with the licenses, they could just release a proper port of Outrunners. It's never gotten a real home port, and it's the second best Outrun game only behind Outrun 2.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to know that the HUD stretching at widescreen resolutions has been fixed. I have this on Steam so I might give it a try later.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, part of the joy of Outrun is barreling down some gorgeous vistas in your ferrari. Every time I play, I always rock the 360 Spider.

That said, if Sega was smart and wanted to give people Outrun without dealing with the licenses, they could just release a proper port of Outrunners. It's never gotten a real home port, and it's the second best Outrun game only behind Outrun 2.
I'd put money on M2 doing an arcade port of Outrunners for Switch. It's too well-suited for the platform for it to *not* happen.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
What's a CD-ROM drive?

kidding, but yeah the PC version of this is the only way to experience it now sadly. Pretty fun game. Went through a lot of trouble to find it a few years ago just for a nostalgia play, beat it once or twice and put it down. Worth it though.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Went through a lot of trouble to find it a few years ago just for a nostalgia play, beat it once or twice and put it down. Worth it though.

Do you remember how the loading times were? Was surprised they weren't instantaneous on Steam release, though they're not too bad at eight seconds pre-race

I guess maybe I should also tell people ITT about the OTHER piece of outrun greatness available to PC users:

Cannonball is to Outrun, what Streets of Rage Remake and Taxman's Sonic ports are to their respective games. It is a complete rewrite of the Outrun engine into a portable C++ language, while still using the original game data, to let the game do a lot of cool shit that the original Outrun engine could not do. This includes 16:9 aspect ratio and much smoother scaling of sprites:

Cannonball is so good <3 As happy as I was to see the arcade games in Yakuza 0, was a bit hard to go back to original 30fps Outrun arcade w/blurry filter after Cannonball.

You reckon it'll ever support even higher resolutions? The included high res mode is terrific as is, but man I'd kill for 4k. After playing Doom and emulating PS1 games like Klonoa at high res, I love sprites not losing detail when they're off in the distance