• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 14, 2017
great summary and updates! Many of which I wasn't aware of. I'm personally just gonna wait for the proper firmware release and not mess with the J firmware. If the issues get fixed, my 85" that I got for $1900 will be even more badass.
Yup same here! I love my X900H and hopefully a firmware fix is coming down the line to fix the outstanding issues.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm holding off. I've seen too many odd issues that make it clear they avoided the X900H release of it.

But I'm glad to know all the issues are being addresses, have been addressed or CAN be addressed. The lingering fear regarding the "But it has a co-processor!" on the fixed 120Hz was a problem.

It's the difference between implementing it yourself or having the OS already do the work for you.

Will hold off as well, but do you have any idea what the actual increase in brightness is when installing the x90J firmware?

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So, here's a recap of the situation:

* Some people discovered you can load the X90J firmware onto the X900H tv. (J follows H in the alphabet, skipping i, which indicates it's the 2021 model, not 2020) The new firmware, after a good reset, addresses issues. This ISN'T a surprise since many of these TVs share the same firmware file across multiple models.
* The X90J firmware addresses some issues. Brighter HDR.
* New X90J firmware just dropped this week. It updates the PS5 icon on the Input menu and adds ALLM support
* Installing the X90J firmware is a bit of a risk because you don't know if you'd be able to go back to the regular X900H firmware anytime soon. And given some random issues, it will require a full factory reset of your TV just to be safe. Lots of random dropped audio or weirdness happening from not factory resetting.

The 5 remaining issues on the X900H: (It doesn't have smooth gradation. It was never promised.)
Xbox eARC audio dropouts:
Still happening. Pray for the Android OS 11 update.

720p V-sync Broken:
When in 720p, the video feed is broken on the top 5% of the screen. It's nasty.
MAYBE the new alt-firmware update fixes it. But so few test in 720p, I'm not confident.

No ALLM: (Auto-Low Latency Mode) This switches to Game mode automatically on TVs:
Currently not enabled, but the alt-firmware added it last week, even without needing Android 11

No VRR: (Variable Refresh Rate) This updates the TV at a custom refresh rate that matches the console, which prevents V-sync issues, tearing, and is the secret thing I've waited for:
Currently not enabled on ANY Android OS 10 TV. Supposedly waiting for the OS update to Android 11 to enable it. (PS5 lacks it currently, too. I imagine they'll be added on the same day)

And now the big one:
Half-assed 120Hz: When running at 120Hz, the number of vertical lines is halved, blurring the screen. So instead of 2160 horizontal lines when running in 4K, it's 1080p, but 4K vertical lines. The same is supposedly when running at 120Hz in 1080p, and that becomes 540p. Haven't tested the 1080p version.

The big deal with the broken 120Hz is that Sony USA has basically pretended it's not an issue when customer service asks. Other sites in other countries have removed any mention of 120Hz support.
What complicates this is the fact that the new X90J TVs have this issue fixed, but installing that alt-firmware on the current TV doesn't fix it.
That has led to a lot of fears that it won't ever be fixed on the TV because of either BANDWIDTH issues. See, the X90J TVs have the EXACT same SoC (System on a chip) CPU that the X900H TV does. That's why the alt-firmware works on it. BUT the X90J TVs have an additional co-processor. The worry is that the co-processor was added to support the fixed 120Hz. We had no way to be sure of that. Because of that situation, there's been at least one case of a guy managing to pay Sony $300 and they replaced his TV with the current X90J one to fix the issue. Some feared the fact Sony capitulated with him means they admitted they can't fix it and want to avoid a lawsuit.

HOWEVER. There is one special model. The X85J.

While the X85J is a current 2021 model TV, it's just a rebranded X850H TV. It has the same SoC as the X900H, and NO CO-PROCESSOR. RTings has been testing it and just confirmed there's no 120Hz blur anymore on the TV.
www.rtings.com

4k 120Hz Blur?

Does this TV also suffer from the same blurriness that the X900H does? The X85J has the same X1 processor if I’m not mistaken. Thanks!

So it's now just a matter of time. There is nothing on the TV that can't be addressed with firmware updates. There WILL be a firmware update for this TV. The 120Hz IS just a software limitation. So now we just have to wait. There's a promised "Spring 2021" firmware update. So let's see how delayed that becomes.
Thanks for the update!

I really hope that the features for this TV come out and work correct.

If it doesn't, though, I would potentially consider paying a little bit of money to upgrade to a TV that does work correctly. Not sure I would go $300 though.

OP
OP

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017

* Some people discovered you can load the X90J firmware onto the X900H tv. (J follows H in the alphabet, skipping i, which indicates it's the 2021 model, not 2020) The new firmware, after a good reset, addresses issues. This ISN'T a surprise since many of these TVs share the same firmware file across multiple models.
* New X90J firmware just dropped this week. It updates the PS5 icon on the Input menu and adds ALLM support
* Installing the X90J firmware is a bit of a risk because you don't know if you'd be able to go back to the regular X900H firmware anytime soon. And given some random issues, it will require a full factory reset of your TV just to be safe. Lots of random dropped audio or weirdness happening from not factory resetting.

The 5 remaining issues on the X900H: (It doesn't have smooth gradation. It was never promised.)

720p V-sync Broken:
MAYBE the new alt-firmware update fixes it. But so few test in 720p, I'm not confident.

No ALLM: (Auto-Low Latency Mode) This switches to Game mode automatically on TVs:
Currently not enabled, but the alt-firmware added it last week, even without needing Android 11

No VRR: (Variable Refresh Rate) This updates the TV at a custom refresh rate that matches the console, which prevents V-sync issues, tearing, and is the secret thing I've waited for:
Currently not enabled on ANY Android OS 10 TV. Supposedly waiting for the OS update to Android 11 to enable it. (PS5 lacks it currently, too. I imagine they'll be added on the same day)

And now the big one:
Half-assed 120Hz: When running at 120Hz, the number of vertical lines is halved, blurring the screen. So instead of 2160 horizontal lines when running in 4K, it's 1080p, but 4K vertical lines. The same is supposedly when running at 120Hz in 1080p, and that becomes 540p. Haven't tested the 1080p version.

The big deal with the broken 120Hz is that Sony USA has basically pretended it's not an issue when customer service asks. Other sites in other countries have removed any mention of 120Hz support.
What complicates this is the fact that the new X90J TVs have this issue fixed, but installing that alt-firmware on the current TV doesn't fix it.
That has led to a lot of fears that it won't ever be fixed on the TV because of either BANDWIDTH issues. See, the X90J TVs have the EXACT same SoC (System on a chip) CPU that the X900H TV does. That's why the alt-firmware works on it. BUT the X90J TVs have an additional co-processor. The worry is that the co-processor was added to support the fixed 120Hz. We had no way to be sure of that. Because of that situation, there's been at least one case of a guy managing to pay Sony $300 and they replaced his TV with the current X90J one to fix the issue. Some feared the fact Sony capitulated with him means they admitted they can't fix it and want to avoid a lawsuit.

While the X85J is a current 2021 model TV, it's just a rebranded X850H TV. It has the same SoC as the X900H, and NO CO-PROCESSOR. RTings has been testing it and just confirmed there's no 120Hz blur anymore on the TV.
www.rtings.com

4k 120Hz Blur?

Does this TV also suffer from the same blurriness that the X900H does? The X85J has the same X1 processor if I’m not mistaken. Thanks!

So it's now just a matter of time. There is nothing on the TV that can't be addressed with firmware updates. There WILL be a firmware update for this TV. The 120Hz IS just a software limitation. So now we just have to wait. There's a promised "Spring 2021" firmware update. So let's see how delayed that becomes.

Thanks for the comprehensive summary of the current issues. I"ve added a threadmark.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
Really tempted to get the X900H as it's on sale for a very good price now and half cheaper than the X90J.. I'd like to hear from people with experience with this model is it still a good performing TV for movies/gaming for the price, or should I look elsewhere? Mainly looking to hook up my Ps5 and Switch to it. Any other big flaws/annoyances to take into account besides the issues TheChrisGlass listed above? (very helpful post BTW!)

Is there any official info whether this model will get the Android 11 and/or Google TV update? What are the odds Sony will fix the remaining issues with future firmware updates (not familiar with how their track record fixing TV problems in the past has been)? Is the user experience responsive or clunky? I'm really on the fence whether the X900H is worth buying or not for the discounted price and will likely need to decide in the next few days, so would really appreciate hearing any experiences/input on this:)

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
As I stated when this all originally came up, Sony said these were all coming later in firmware updates and NOT launching with the TV. So it's a matter of time. Their TVs have support for years and it won't be dropped.

Honestly, you can survive without ALLM/VRR right now. But if you care about audio, the eARC issues (IF you use eARC, and not just ARC) can be VERY annoying. Outside of that, it's a fantastic set, which is why this thread exists. It's a mid-range TV punching above its paygrade.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I wouldn't get this set if you're hoping a VRR fix is on the way and it's a feature you want. Wait and see which of the newer sets are problem free regarding hdmi 2.1 features.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Really tempted to get the X900H as it's on sale for a very good price now and half cheaper than the X90J.. I'd like to hear from people with experience with this model is it still a good performing TV for movies/gaming for the price, or should I look elsewhere? Mainly looking to hook up my Ps5 and Switch to it. Any other big flaws/annoyances to take into account besides the issues TheChrisGlass listed above? (very helpful post BTW!)

This is the exact set up I currently have. My only "fatal flaw" in my current set up is that I have an older non-4K/non-HDR receiver, and so as a result, I have to direct connect the PS5 to the TV with an ARC connection to the receiver, and the Switch is connected direct to the receiver through the game HDMI input. I bought the TV at launch last year, and I've generally been pretty happy with it. It was a huge upgrade from my older 1080p display, the combination of local dimming and HDR made a pretty noticeable step in image quality, and being able to use the PS5 to play 4K blu-rays really drove home the difference between HD and 4K/HDR. I'm losing out on lossless audio this way, but I'm still getting my 5.1 sound, and I'll wait until properly working 4K receivers are out before upgrading.

I think I lack the sensitivity of some other gamers here, because I've used the 120 Hz mode on games like DMC 5 and Borderlands 3, and while I can clearly feel the difference in the framerate, the blur thing isn't hugely apparent on those games. At least not when you're sitting more than six feet away.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help! I tried to weigh all the pros and cons and went ahead and ordered the 65" set; it should be a pretty substantial upgrade to my existing 10+ year old 1080p TV and the price was just too good to pass up. I should be receiving the set still today but will have to wait another month before setting it up as we're moving soon, and I'd rather keep it safe in the box for now and hook it up at the new apartment. I still need to find a second TV for another room, but might look into a bit bigger panel (75"-85") and possibly OLED/miniled for that use if there are some options in a decent price range..

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
This is the exact set up I currently have. My only "fatal flaw" in my current set up is that I have an older non-4K/non-HDR receiver, and so as a result, I have to direct connect the PS5 to the TV with an ARC connection to the receiver, and the Switch is connected direct to the receiver through the game HDMI input. I bought the TV at launch last year, and I've generally been pretty happy with it. It was a huge upgrade from my older 1080p display, the combination of local dimming and HDR made a pretty noticeable step in image quality, and being able to use the PS5 to play 4K blu-rays really drove home the difference between HD and 4K/HDR. I'm losing out on lossless audio this way, but I'm still getting my 5.1 sound, and I'll wait until properly working 4K receivers are out before upgrading.

I think I lack the sensitivity of some other gamers here, because I've used the 120 Hz mode on games like DMC 5 and Borderlands 3, and while I can clearly feel the difference in the framerate, the blur thing isn't hugely apparent on those games. At least not when you're sitting more than six feet away.

Same here, other than my receiver is even older and I have to use optical out from the TV. Had some issues with sound not working with that set up without restarting the TV. Think it may have resolved itself as it has happened in a while. Though I mostly game with headphones so I don't try sound through the speakers all that often with my 4K devices (TiVo fo cable is just hooked up to to the receiver since that's not 4K).

I don't notice the blur either, spitting 9ish feet from a 65". That said, I haven't been that impressed by the 120fps and tend to prefer 60 with higher resolution etc. outside of things like Halo or other non-intensive games that just run in 120 with no hit to visuals. But I've never been that fussed about frame rates as long as they're stable.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ran through it for a bit.

Adds auto-calibration for TV speakers.
Updated PS5 icon when plugged in.
No ALLM/VRR yet.
New settings menu UI.
MAYBE Audio fixes? Turning on eARC again, just to risk it.
Slight UI changes to Display menu.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone who decided to sideload that wrong firmware? Guess what? You're not going to be able to install this firmware.
Not sure about future firmwares, because apparently the version number of this new one is LOWER than the "alt" firmware, but... told you so.

So don't be tempted with that.

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

720p V-sync Broken:

And now the big one:

www.rtings.com

4k 120Hz Blur?

Great summary! Much appreciated!

I got the KE-65XH9005 two weeks ago for 870€ and so far I'm very happy with it. The performance of the UI is a godsend for what I was used to from TVs. The IQ tho is absolutely stunningespecially for midrange TV. The picture looks homogeneous, cleanand accurate plus HDR really is doing its work here.

I have my PS5 and my Sony HT-X8500 soundbar hooked up to the TV and both work like a charm (especially HDMI-CEC!), but I also did notice some audio dropouts via eARC here and there. Happens very rarely tho.

Now I only hope that we will get the update which delivers ALLM/VRR plus a proper 120 Hz mode and I will be happy for a very long time with this set.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm still trying to figure out why it happened, but last night my TV started bootlooping because my USB drive got corrupted. I want to blame the heatwave and the USB drive I was using. (SanDisk Ultra Flair. 5 years old.) That thing got SCORCHING hot. But I'm not sure if it was also Android 10 or the firmware update or whatever. Lemme know if it happened to you, too.

With Amazon Prime Day, tomorrow I'm going to order either a Samsung BAR or the Samsung Fit Plus. The Ultra Flair is only rated up to 35C. The BAR and Fit Plus are up to 60C.

Also:

Dolby Vision is currently messed up on the current X900H Firmware.

I noticed it myself and a few others did as well. On Loki, there was some hitching or frame drops, or something.

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
Dolby Vision is currently messed up on the current X900H Firmware.

I noticed it myself and a few others did as well. On Loki, there was some hitching or frame drops, or something.
We noticed that during the "Previously on" intro segment in WandaVision portions of the screen flashed in a fast bright/dark fashion. It ended as soon as the episode started and doesn't happen on my iOS devices. I wasn't sure if it was HDR/DV problems, ABL, or what

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Ran through it for a bit.

Adds auto-calibration for TV speakers.
Updated PS5 icon when plugged in.
No ALLM/VRR yet.
New settings menu UI.
MAYBE Audio fixes? Turning on eARC again, just to risk it.
Slight UI changes to Display menu.
I updated my X900H the other day, when I fired up my Series X, Auto Low Latency Mode was selectable instead of being greyed out in the Series X settings. My Series X also detected there were advanced features available or something of the like, right after the update. I'm assuming it recognized the new addition of a ALLM.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Careful with the latest firmware. Having this really annoying issue with broken Local Auto Dimming where it reverts to a lower brightness:

canonj

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. I've turned off auto updates since everything has been working great lately and I don't want the update to mess things up.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Meanwhile i still don't have access to this update. I'm in Portugal btw. Weird, lol

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
First thing I did when I got this stupid TV was turn off auto updates Lol. Right now it works just about good enough and I don't want to potentially mess that up.

Lately I have been noticing some gradiation issues unfortunately which my previous Sony TV did not have. In fact that old ass TV had option to improve that sort of thing and this new one does not. It's kind of disappointing to be honest.

The same is supposedly when running at 120Hz in 1080p, and that becomes 540p. Haven't tested the 1080p version.
1080P at 120 Hz absolutely does not become 540P in my experience

Last edited:

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Careful with the latest firmware. Having this really annoying issue with broken Local Auto Dimming where it reverts to a lower brightness:

Yeah, heard about this, saw some of the complaints on the AVS forums, and immediately went into my settings and disabled auto-firmware updates.

I'm going to wait until they pull this one and put out a new one. For now, the old firmware works just fine for me, I don't have a pressing need to upgrade, especially if it'll make the TV worse.

Jun 10, 2018
1080P at 120 Hz absolutely does not become 540P in my experience
The resolution is only cut in half on one axis. And it does in fact happen with 1080p at 120hz (not just 2160p/4K). You can instantly notice it with PC when switching from 1080p at 60hz to 1080p at 120hz. There is a clear and noticeable downgrade in image quality and text rendering looks absolutely atrocious that clear type cannot fix.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
The resolution is only cut in half on one axis. And it does in fact happen with 1080p at 120hz (not just 2160p/4K). You can instantly notice it with PC when switching from 1080p at 60hz to 1080p at 120hz. There is a clear and noticeable downgrade in image quality and text rendering looks absolutely atrocious that clear type cannot fix.

Has anyone documented this visually, in gameplay from a current gen console? All the examples I've read about are just what you cite here: a PC displaying static text. Half resolution on one axis sounds really drastic, but I've never noticed anything like that in a game. At most, if I stand right next to the TV and flip back and forth it looks a little "soft."

But even with text, I can't see any difference in e.g. the console UI. if it were going down to 540 pixel rows on a 55 inch display, I can't imagine it wouldn't be obvious.

I'm certain the TV is actually in 120 Hz mode. The difference in smoothness is obvious when toggling 120 Hz off/on in games like Sea of Thieves.

I have seen the screenshots of PC text so I'm not doubting the issue exists, just trying to say that if people are reading this and freaking out because "it displays at half 4k/540p in 120 Hz mode" - well, the actual experience with games is nothing like that.

Or maybe my eyes are just broken, it's possible lol.

Jun 10, 2018
Has anyone documented this visually, in gameplay from a current gen console? All the examples I've read about are just what you cite here: a PC displaying static text. Half resolution on one axis sounds really drastic, but I've never noticed anything like that in a game. At most, if I stand right next to the TV and flip back and forth it looks a little "soft."

But even with text, I can't see any difference in e.g. the console UI. if it were going down to 540 pixel rows on a 55 inch display, I can't imagine it wouldn't be obvious.

I'm certain the TV is actually in 120 Hz mode. The difference in smoothness is obvious when toggling 120 Hz off/on in games like Sea of Thieves.

I have seen the screenshots of PC text so I'm not doubting the issue exists, just trying to say that if people are reading this and freaking out because "it displays at half 4k/540p in 120 Hz mode" - well, the actual experience with games is nothing like that.

Or maybe my eyes are just broken, it's possible lol.
Yeah, it does it on any device running at 120hz (consoles or PC). It's odd why it does it with 1080p at 120hz as well if it were simply a hardware bandwidth issue. These issues are resolved on the x90J, aside from having more banding when in HDR with 120hz content. Depending on distance it may be a bit harder to notice the 120hz blur.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly to me text at 1080p at 60hz and 120hz looks equally shit on this display unless I enable GPU scaling/integer scaling which only works at 60hz (because I don't have an HDMI 2.1 GPU). And then it only looks slightly less shit. I just switched back and forth a bunch of times and I couldn't really tell a difference.

Last edited:

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
So, does anyone know if the new 2021 Bravia X90J also has the blurry 4K/120 problem?
I know it also doesn't have VRR yet.

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
Since the latest firmware update, I'm having major issues with the Automatic Local dimming feature. Is anyone else experiencing issues with this?

In summary, the TV appears to get very dark during certain games/screens. When I adjust the local dimming, it seems to correct itself, but then moments later, goes back to becoming very dim again. There's multiple youtube videos/posts on reddit (or other forums) complaining about this, but no definitive resolution it seems. I tried doing a factory reset, but that did not work either :(

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Since the latest firmware update, I'm having major issues with the Automatic Local dimming feature. Is anyone else experiencing issues with this?

In summary, the TV appears to get very dark during certain games/screens. When I adjust the local dimming, it seems to correct itself, but then moments later, goes back to becoming very dim again. There's multiple youtube videos/posts on reddit (or other forums) complaining about this, but no definitive resolution it seems. I tried doing a factory reset, but that did not work either :(

It comes and goes every few days for me since the update. Best you can do is log a ticket with customer service that gets elevated to the engineers. It's what I did. The more they're made aware of it the better, hopefully. And just waiting for a fix, or anything now. =\

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the response and guidance! I spoke to CS via a chat tonight and they logged a ticket. The agent told me that the engineering team might prioritize the issue based on the #/frequency of reports they receive.

Needless to say, would definitely encourage any one to report this issue, as it's super annoying/frustrating when it happens.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I manually updated my firmware a couple weeks back as I hadn't read about the local dimming bug. I noticed ME3 was seeming awfully dark at times and read into and definitely have that bug. Toggling local dimming between high and medium fixes it for a bit but it quickly reverts. Someone on AVS forum said they hadn't had issues for a couple weeks after doing a factory reset so I'm giving that a go. Only been a few minutes, but the brightness was normal in ME3 after doing it and didn't drop in a few minutes of messing around. Time will tell if it stays fixed. A bit annoying having to put all my settings back in the TV, but at least I don't use the Smart TV side of it so I don't have to redownload and log into apps (use my Apple TV or XSX for streaming).

Edit:

Also just read on AVS forum that apparently just restarting the TV (hold down power button and then selecting restart) can get rid of the bug until the TV crashes/restarts/loses power etc. I tried one restart and it didn't fix it, but apparently if you just keep restarting until the bug goes away you'll be good to go a while and that's less hassle than system reset and having to redo all your settings (especially if you're using the smart tv part of it and have to re-install and set up your apps).

Last edited:

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I still haven't gotten this firmware pushed to my TV but I'm tempted to turn off auto updates. Can someone point me to how I get to turn those off?

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I still haven't gotten this firmware pushed to my TV but I'm tempted to turn off auto updates. Can someone point me to how I get to turn those off?

Go to settings from the Home Screen (not the quick menu).

Then system——>About—->System Software Update—->and turn off the toggle for automatically check for update.

I don't think it will auto update even if left on. I always had to click a notification and start the install. In this case, I manually installed the update via USB when I saw it was out without reading up on it so totally my fault. Won't be doing that in the future!

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks dmaul1114 for those instructions!

I turned it off on my X900H; I was still on the 6.0466 FW and I need to stay there until this gets sorted out.

I do enjoy this TV overall, but I'll be the first to admit that I fell for the marketing and I normally don't do so. Bought it at the end of November last year thinking that I left enough time for the public testing, but I did not. Still no VRR and no time frame of when it will happen, if it even will at all.

Still a nominal upgrade from my X800D from 2016, so I'm overall satisfied.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I've had this since the day I bought the TV (last updated last year). The picture darkens after there's an entirely black image on screen. The only semi-permanent fix (besides cycling picture modes) is to reboot the TV (hold down the power button). It'll start happening again if you turn it off again.

I guess Sony made it even worse than before if now there's no fix at all lol.