• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Cross-post from reddit, there seems to be a message glitch that bricks your console and forces you to reset it.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/9nselm/warning_set_your_messages_to_private/

Lock of old/fake.

Edit: Image of the messsge

v7p4n2ptu0s11.jpg

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I don't think it bricks your PS4, it just softlocks the console. Your console can do a hard reset / hard reboot and it would work normally until you re-access your private message.

The jargon, "bricking", would imply you can no longer use PS4 permanently after such a glitch happens.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
EDITED:

First:

Try just removing the message with your phone or on the website and wait a few minutes first:

Get the phone app (PlayStation Messages) and erase the message from there to fix the problem. There are some conflicting reports on this.

If you want to use the website instead, you can go to https://my.playstation.com/whatsnew
On the top right corner of the screen you will see the Messages symbol. From there you can select a specific person and then "leave this group" which will erase all of the messages sent by that person to you.

Turn off and restart the console.
(If it's still frozen even after pressing the power button once, hold down the same power button till it turns off)

Second:

AFTER you erase the messages using the app or website and still doesn't work:

Turn off the console if it's still on.
Then hold down the power button for ~7 seconds (it will beep twice) to make the PS4 go into Safe Mode.
Finally proceed to "Rebuild the Database" to fix the problem. (This is not factory reset, nothing will be erased).

Of course, after all that, report the dummy account to Sony.

How to change messages to private:
(Copied from the Sony website)
  1. Go to [Settings] > [Account Management] > [Privacy Settings] and enter your password.
  2. Select the feature you would like to change Privacy Settings for.
  3. Choose who you want to allow from the drop-down menu: Friends, Friends of Friends or No One and select [Confirm].

Last edited:

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it bricks your PS4, it just softlocks the console. Your console can do a hard reset / hard reboot and it would work normally until you re-access your private message.

The jargon, "bricking", would imply you can no longer use PS4 permanently after such a glitch happens.
From the sounds of it in the thread, the message simply existing is enough to cause your system to throw an error message after about 30 seconds

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

The message fucks up your console even if you don't open it

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Changing my privacy settings so only my friends have the pleasure of bricking my console.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Setting my messages in private. I get random messages once a while anyway and it gets on my nerves, but that never pushed to the edge to change my privacy settings. Now this has.

Too bad these people love doing this for fun.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
are you kidding me?

how is shit like this possible in 2018.. certain characters in a text msg fuck up a PS4? yeah i know not permanently bricked, but still. ridiculous.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I love the rare salty message so much that I cant deny people that

It's even more satisfying knowing this happens and they're denied being able to send their rant.

Imagine it, you stomp a person in pvp, they get fired, load the messenger, type out a cathartic insult.... only to be denied.

You win twice.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just imagine you're in a middle of an Overwatch competitive match and someone crashes your team's consoles. Instant win for the other team.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
are you kidding me?

how is shit like this possible in 2018.. certain characters in a text msg fuck up a PS4? yeah i know not permanently bricked, but still. ridiculous.

Since this specific problem happened to Apple earlier this year, it's a chronic problem. Lack of QA is at fault, generally. Companies want to move fast at all costs.

Specifically, trying to support languages on the surface without spending the appropriate time assessing the semantics of displaying the characters. (I'm assuming this is another Unicode problem, because anything else doesn't make too much sense)

(Based on the Apple problem earlier this year): Technically, imagine a language where if you typed 'abcd', the 'cd' would disappear from view but they would linguistically still be there. Badly designed displaying of text can cause problems with obscure linguistics like this. Usually nobody in the West even has to think about characters that are invisible, or flip the direction of words, etc.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Sad day when I have to give up hate messages from angry people. But even the joy they bring me, isn't worth a factory reset.

I'll 1v1 you in Heaven my angry dude.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
I leave my messages settings to open since a couple times over the years I'd get a positive message after a match for a change. But then there's spamming by lv1 accounts, message bombing, now this... I guess it really is meant to be locked to friends only.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of expecting someone to make a bot and message all of PSN just for holiday spirit.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is odd. A couple of my friends and myself have a long message chain going and I often get them while I'm playing something, most recently AC Odyssey, and there's been no lockups or crashes.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How do you set your messages to private? And what does that even do?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This is odd. A couple of my friends and myself have a long message chain going and I often get them while I'm playing something, most recently AC Odyssey, and there's been no lockups or crashes.
I think it's caused by the actual texts they put in the message, not the length.
The PS4 doesn't recognize it and has a meltdown.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
How do you set your messages to private? And what does that even do?
Got to you messages, press the options/start button and it should say privacy settings, click it, put it on friends only and only friends can message you.
Randoms just get a error telling them you have certain settings preventing them from messaging you.

Senki Dala

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
My messages always had been set on "private", why would I want receive messages from people I dunno?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Got to you messages, press the options/start button and it should say privacy settings, click it, put it on friends only and only friends can message you.
Randoms just get a error telling them you have certain settings preventing them from messaging you.

Awesome. Done.

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It seems there's a new bug/glitch or whatever happening now wherein the user gets a PM (on PS4), and it bricks their console! Only fix is via factory reset. Multiple users have reported it already.

https://mp1st.com/news/report-new-psn-message-glitch-can-brick-console

Spread the word. Set your messages to private just to be safe. Apparently, the message contains two symbols, and a user tested it by sending the same symbols to another account, and it happened as well.

Mods, let me know if I broke any rules. Just spreading the word.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
This is just like recent mobile bugs where one character can brick the device.

Just set messages to NO ONE for now. It's under privacy in account settings.

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If one of those messages are sent to you, just turn off the console.
Take the phone app and erase the message.
Then press down the power button for 7 seconds to make the PS4 go into Safe Mode.
Finally proceed to Rebuild the Database to fix the problem. (This is not factory reset, nothing will be erased).
Of course, after all that, report the dummy account to Sony.

Others say that removing the message from the phone app is enough to fix the problem, but there are some conflicting reports on this.

I guess you can try just removing the message with your phone and wait a few minutes first.

Is this confirmed to work? I've seen users say they can't delete the message or something via the app.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
whoa..this seems serious...hopefully a new hotfix firmware will be released to fix this permanently.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
This is crazy. Sony needs to push out an emergency firmware update asap

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have several accounts on my ps4, do I need to set them all to private messages?

Nov 30, 2017
Thanks. I'm out and about but just used my PS APP to set this. I think we all get messages from people we've never met and I don't want anything coming through.